Redskins "very much intrigued by Haskins" Jets twist

Scott Dierking

13979_0.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Redskins are "very much intrigued" by Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

The Jets at No. 3 overall are reportedly open for business and would be more than willing to trade out of that spot after landing Sam Darnold last year. The Redskins are said to be one of the prime candidates to come up should Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa go Nos. 1 and 2 in the draft. Washington's quarterback situation is bleak with Case Keenum and Colt McCoy on year-by-year deals and Alex Smith (leg) unlikely to play again. The Skins would seemingly have to leap the Raiders and Giants at Nos. 4 and 6 overall for a chance at Haskins.

SOURCE: CBS Sports
Mar 20, 2019, 12:55 PM

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't know if I'd want to go that far down (15) with the Redskins.  If I'm the Jets I might require them to make an earlier move up towards the 9th or 10th pick before I'd consider dropping down.

I’d fleece them for #15. Still lots of options at 15.

I don't know if I'd want to go that far down (15) with the Redskins.  If I'm the Jets I might require them to make an earlier move up towards the 9th or 10th pick before I'd consider dropping down.

Well let's see...they traded 3 First round picks plus a 2nd to move up from 6 to 2 for RGIII so let's start there

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this draft has a clear Tier 1 (Bosa/Williams/allen) and then after that there really isn't much of a difference between players available at 6 or 15. 

Recent mocks have guys like Jonah Williams/Clelin Ferrel/DK Metcalf/Greedy falling to around 15. Some here are advocating for some of those guys to be taken by the Jets if we fall to 6. 

Plus by falling to 15 we should get a BOATLOAD of picks from a team that seems likely to overpay for a QB. 

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Depends what the Jets draft board looks like. 

We all have different draft boards. I know I do:

1. Miles Sanders Penn State

2. Amani Oruwariye Penn Sttate

3. Conner McGovern Penn State

4. Sharif Miller Penn State

5. Ryan Bates Penn Sate

6. Kevin Givens Penn State

7. Nick Scott Penn State

8. Trace McSorley Penn State

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’d fleece them for #15. Still lots of options at 15.

Here's what they have in 2019...

916443516_ScreenShot2019-03-20at10_12_05AM.png.abbe93d1941e7b2e21d73d50617bfbc1.png

At a minimum I'd want the #15, #46 (Round 2) and a 1st rounder in 2020.  I agree with there being lots of options at #15 but the Jets would likely be shut out of the Top 2 Offensive Linemen (Taylor, Jonah Williams), the top Edge pass rushers (Bosa, Allen, Gary, Burns, Ferrell) and probably at least one or two of the WRs.  There's no doubt the Jets could find a player that could help them at #15 but it may not be a difference maker.

916443516_ScreenShot2019-03-20at10_12_05AM.png.abbe93d1941e7b2e21d73d50617bfbc1.png

At a minimum I'd want the #15, #46 (Round 2) and a 1st rounder in 2020.  I agree with there being lots of options at #15 but the Jets would likely be shut out of the Top 2 Offensive Linemen (Taylor, Jonah Williams), the top Edge pass rushers (Bosa, Allen, Gary, Burns, Ferrell) and probably at least one or two of the WRs.  There's no doubt the Jets could find a player that could help them at #15 but it may not be a difference maker.

With the QB's you just have listed 10 players at 4 basic positions.

Just now, KRL said:

After looking at the picks WSH has I would want their #1, #2, #3 in 2019 and 
their #1 in 2020.  If they aren't willing to pay a "QB premium" forget it

^ this is what I would be asking for.

I’m thinking coming away with a huge cash in for three could be just as effective for roster improvement as taking a Allen or Bosa. 

I think the draft is such a crapshoot the more picks you get, the more likely you are to hit on someone special anywhere in the draft. 

Superstars and "difference makers" have been drafted in literally every round. 

With a drafting history like Macc's I'd feel way more comfortable with 3-4 extra picks starting with #15 than just #3.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-could-redskins-find-trade-partner-in-jets-in-an-attempt-to-land-dwayne-haskins/

By most metrics, the New York Jets have been the most active team in the NFL since the start of the league year, spending big money in free agency and completing a trade for two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman Keleschi Osemele. And they are far from done.The Jets have let it be known that they are open for business with the third-overall pick in the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised if, for the second year in a row, they complete a draft pick swap well before the actual selection process begins. A year ago, if you recall, they made an aggressive, proactive move to deal with the Colts to move up to third overall to be in position to take the second quarterback in the draft (either Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold, depending on whom the Browns selected with the top pick). Now, with Darnold in tow and perhaps on the cusp of a breakout season, the Jets are ready, willing and eager to move down out of the third spot to secure more draft capital.

MORE NFL

League sources say Washington is already among the teams sniffing around, and with pretty much every GM in the league wholeheartedly convinced that QB Kyler Murray is going first overall, and San Francisco likely to take its top defensive player on the board second overall (early money is on pass rusher Nick Bosa), then the Jets very well could be sitting pretty with that third pick as an avenue for a QB-needy team to jump ahead of the Giants(sixth overall) to land Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins. There is a readily-accepted drop-off in the quarterback class beyond that, and while the need is not as robust as in some past years, it only takes one team to make the move.

Would the Jets really be open to dropping down all the way to Washington's pick, way back in the middle of the first round (15th overall)? Yup. I truly believe so, for the right price. And that price would be steep. The Jets would be sacrificing a sure-fire blue chip prospect potentially in the process, but in a draft where some evaluators I've talked to believe there are 12-14 non QBs with absolute first-round grades, the Jets could still be in position to land one from that group even all the way back at 15.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder has made such blockbuster moves before (RGIII, anyone?) and his quarterback situation is arguably the most bleak in the entire league, with Case Keenum and Colt McCoy being rented for a year and with Alex Smith unlikely to ever play again, but due $54M in guarantees.

If Snyder falls in love with Haskins through this process – and, I'd point out that Haskins played prep football in Snyder's backyard and that his mentor, Shawn Springs, is a former Redskins cornerback whom Snyder thinks very highly of – then he will do whatever he thinks has to do to get him. History has shown us as much, and I hear Washington is very much intrigued by the strapping pocket passer, and you just know that Snyder would take some joy in leap-frogging the NFC East rival Giants in the process.

And, I will reiterate, this is not a situation where the Jets are inclined to believe the best deal has to come right before the draft. And patience is not exactly a hallmark of the Bruce Allen reign as head of Washington's football operations (losing, however, would be). So keep an eye on this one.

Outside of the Giants and Skins, it's hard to figure anyone else makes the jump. Some execs I've chatted with believe John Elway may be open to moving up for Haskins – his pact with Joe Flacco is on a year-to-year basis at this point in the contract – though, personally, I tend to think he does not go that direction. Miami seems to be targeting the 2020 draft to solve its quarterback riddle – at the very least, giving away a bunch of picks to leap up from 13th overall would shock rival GMs at this point – and Jacksonville is paying Nick Foles like he is on the franchise tag the next two years, so grabbing a QB in the top-10 would run counter to their win-now ethos (even if winning now seems like an impossibility to their counterparts).

It's been a while since Snyder has done something splashy, and his fanbase has become among the more beaten-down and hopeless in the league (for good reason), and getting a buy-in from them wont be easy. Moving up for a potential franchise QB who threw 50 TDs a year ago at Ohio State just might help with that.

Good points here!  I'm now ready to hold Washington hostage! lol

In any deal I really would like a pick in 2020 included, maybe even 2021.  GMs aren't big on going out too far because they know they may not be around to see it used if they get fired.  But in terms of long range planning how great would it be to "pay it forward" and be reminded in 2021 that we have an extra pick in say, Round 2, from a 2019 trade?

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

I want that and their third rounder next year, too. Let's deal! 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

With the QB's you just have listed 10 players at 4 basic positions.

Not enough. They want the QB, they pay dearly. We would be giving up the pass rusher we need. The trade should be their number 1 this and next year, their number 2 and possibly both of their 3s this year, or one of their 3s this year and throw in the 2nd from 2020 as well. At 15 we can be shut out of most of the blue chip players in this draft, but should still get either an OT or WR or even a pass rusher at that pick.

Trade to #15, select best Center in this draft class.

Get at the least a 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year to add to our existing picks (along with a #1 next year, obviously).

Get a WR prospect.  Another TE.  And another O-Lineman.  

Use the rest however Macc wants (small school DT's, undersized LB's, three more Safeties, whatever).

20 hours ago, KRL said:

Depending on how you value the 2020 pick you'd be a little above chart value.  To give an idea of what high picks are worth, #3 (2200) is worth more than double #15 (1050).   Add in their 2nd (440) and 3rd (210) and you remain 300 points short.  300 points is around pick #60 at the end of the 2nd.  The 2020 1st would generally rate as a mid-2nd in 2019 - which would rate around 410-420. 100 points is not insignificant.  It equates to a late 3rd. 

All the other scenarios I have read in this thread we would be giving up points. That is not Mac's style and this is not really the time to do it.  The time to do it was 2017 when we were tanking and stocking up to move up in 2018.

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Not enough. They want the QB, they pay dearly. We would be giving up the pass rusher we need. The trade should be their number 1 this and next year, their number 2 and possibly both of their 3s this year, or one of their 3s this year and throw in the 2nd from 2020 as well. At 15 we can be shut out of most of the blue chip players in this draft, but should still get either an OT or WR or even a pass rusher at that pick.

According to the "JJ draft chart", value works out as thus:

Jets overall # 3 =2200

Redskins #15, #46, #76,96  = 1,816

I am not sure how to value future picks. So you are not far off.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-could-redskins-find-trade-partner-in-jets-in-an-attempt-to-land-dwayne-haskins/

By most metrics, the New York Jets have been the most active team in the NFL since the start of the league year, spending big money in free agency and completing a trade for two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman Keleschi Osemele. And they are far from done.The Jets have let it be known that they are open for business with the third-overall pick in the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised if, for the second year in a row, they complete a draft pick swap well before the actual selection process begins. A year ago, if you recall, they made an aggressive, proactive move to deal with the Colts to move up to third overall to be in position to take the second quarterback in the draft (either Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold, depending on whom the Browns selected with the top pick). Now, with Darnold in tow and perhaps on the cusp of a breakout season, the Jets are ready, willing and eager to move down out of the third spot to secure more draft capital.

MORE NFL

League sources say Washington is already among the teams sniffing around, and with pretty much every GM in the league wholeheartedly convinced that QB Kyler Murray is going first overall, and San Francisco likely to take its top defensive player on the board second overall (early money is on pass rusher Nick Bosa), then the Jets very well could be sitting pretty with that third pick as an avenue for a QB-needy team to jump ahead of the Giants(sixth overall) to land Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins. There is a readily-accepted drop-off in the quarterback class beyond that, and while the need is not as robust as in some past years, it only takes one team to make the move.

Would the Jets really be open to dropping down all the way to Washington's pick, way back in the middle of the first round (15th overall)? Yup. I truly believe so, for the right price. And that price would be steep. The Jets would be sacrificing a sure-fire blue chip prospect potentially in the process, but in a draft where some evaluators I've talked to believe there are 12-14 non QBs with absolute first-round grades, the Jets could still be in position to land one from that group even all the way back at 15.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder has made such blockbuster moves before (RGIII, anyone?) and his quarterback situation is arguably the most bleak in the entire league, with Case Keenum and Colt McCoy being rented for a year and with Alex Smith unlikely to ever play again, but due $54M in guarantees.

If Snyder falls in love with Haskins through this process – and, I'd point out that Haskins played prep football in Snyder's backyard and that his mentor, Shawn Springs, is a former Redskins cornerback whom Snyder thinks very highly of – then he will do whatever he thinks has to do to get him. History has shown us as much, and I hear Washington is very much intrigued by the strapping pocket passer, and you just know that Snyder would take some joy in leap-frogging the NFC East rival Giants in the process.

And, I will reiterate, this is not a situation where the Jets are inclined to believe the best deal has to come right before the draft. And patience is not exactly a hallmark of the Bruce Allen reign as head of Washington's football operations (losing, however, would be). So keep an eye on this one.

Outside of the Giants and Skins, it's hard to figure anyone else makes the jump. Some execs I've chatted with believe John Elway may be open to moving up for Haskins – his pact with Joe Flacco is on a year-to-year basis at this point in the contract – though, personally, I tend to think he does not go that direction. Miami seems to be targeting the 2020 draft to solve its quarterback riddle – at the very least, giving away a bunch of picks to leap up from 13th overall would shock rival GMs at this point – and Jacksonville is paying Nick Foles like he is on the franchise tag the next two years, so grabbing a QB in the top-10 would run counter to their win-now ethos (even if winning now seems like an impossibility to their counterparts).

It's been a while since Snyder has done something splashy, and his fanbase has become among the more beaten-down and hopeless in the league (for good reason), and getting a buy-in from them wont be easy. Moving up for a potential franchise QB who threw 50 TDs a year ago at Ohio State just might help with that.

Thanks.  Just read the whole thing and I need to change my underwear. lol

I think the Jets could be in line for a Hershel Walker type trade here.

Interesting reference to Miami's plans.  I think both the Giants and Miami could be targeting 2020 for QBs.  That class could be just about as good as the 2018 class.  But, do the Giants really want to put off getting a QB for another year?  2020 would become the season that the Giants try to start, develop and groom a rookie QB (the 3rd year of Saquon Barkley's contract).  I guess I could see it but it also puts a LOT of pressure on Gettleman to get that QB he wants in 2020.  The Giants would be as blatant, or moreso, than the Jets were in 2018 about getting a QB.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I would want their 1st, 2nd, both 3rds this year and either a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd next year 

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

11 minutes ago, slats said:

and have them throw in 3 Redskins cheerleaders while we're at it!

I just don't think Snyder will trade away all of his early draft picks for Haskins.  A player or two would need to be included.  For example, I would take their 2019 first and second, next year's first and a guys like Matt Ionnidis, DL and Geron Christian, LT.  

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We need more picks.  This would be great.  And their #1 next year will be a top 5 pick.  It will be qb heavy draft too.

We could get A top 3 pick next year and trade back again to a qb needy team.

This could be amazing.

Ha!  Imagine the Jets sitting there next year ahead of the Giants again even though the Jets went 10-6.....and holding Gettleman hostage.

Make this trade.  Get WAS's 2020 1st.  WAS then goes 2-14 and we have 1st pick in 2020 draft which we trade for another haul with a sucky team including the 2021 1st rounder.  Rinse...Repeat.

Why is this so hard, people? :)

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm good with this especially if Bosa is gone. But if Bosa is still there at 3, that would be hard to pass up, because he is a game changer.

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You would still have the pick of best C, who may be better than any of the other linemen period. 

If the Jets can do a good job of selling the Giants interest in Haskins publicly they could get Snyder to jump quickly. The idea of stealing a "franchise QB" from the Giants will hold a ton of value to Snyder and the Jets can use that as leverage. Ideally I'd want the trade to happen well before the draft.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

According to the "JJ draft chart", value works out as thus:

Jets overall # 3 =2200

Redskins #15, #46, #76,96  = 1,816

I am not sure how to value future picks. So you are not far off.

You usually value future year picks by moving them up one round.

For example, a current year (2019) 3rd round pick would have the same point value as a 2020 2nd round pick.  Essentially, a 4 this year is worth a 3 next year, a 2 this year is worth a 1 next year.

Archived