Redskins "very much intrigued by Haskins" Jets twist

Scott Dierking

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Last year the Jets paid a 40% premium to move up to 3. So here's what I want from the Redskins and Giants in a trade.

Jets

#3 Pick - 2200

40% premium - 880

Total - 3080

Redskins

#15 - 1050

#46 - 440

#76 - 210

#96 - 116

2020 1st - 430 (Worth 1 rd less)

2021 1st - 430 (Worth 1rd less)

Total - 2776 pts

Giants

#6 - 1700

#17 - 950

#37 - 430-530 OR 2020 1st round pick

Total - 3080-3180

I would rather take the Redskins deal bc it would give us 6 picks in the first 2 days which could really help this team a lot as well. Plus getting the additional first round picks in 2020, 2021 would also help a lot. It frees then up to either use those picks as trade capital or for an impact player in the draft.

I’d take the redskins deal but demand they include kerrigan too

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't know if I'd want to go that far down (15) with the Redskins.  If I'm the Jets I might require them to make an earlier move up towards the 9th or 10th pick before I'd consider dropping down.

I'm with you but maybe if the Raiders and NYG feel the Skins will leap to 3rd they'll make the move to #3 1st. Like we did last year. I would NOT want to drop down to #15 either.

32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Last year the Jets paid a 40% premium to move up to 3. So here's what I want from the Redskins and Giants in a trade.

Jets

#3 Pick - 2200

40% premium - 880

Total - 3080

Redskins

#15 - 1050

#46 - 440

#76 - 210

#96 - 116

Total - 2776 pts

Giants

#6 - 1700

#17 - 950

Total - 3080-3180

I would rather take the Redskins deal bc it would give us 6 picks in the first 2 days which could really help this team a lot immediately. You could also package a couple of 3rds to move back into the 2nd round. It would give them a lot of flexibility in the draft. Plus getting the additional first round picks in 2020, 2021 would also help a lot. That's potentially 2 Top 10-15 picks in those years. It frees them up to either use those picks as trade capital or for an impact player in the draft.

Man all this trade down talk only gets my hopes up. I hope we trade down but im not putting my money on it. I just know were gonna sit at 3 and pick a player

34 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

I trade to  back 15 snap up Garret Bradbury and fix the center problem then fleece the Redskins Jets get back the 2nd round next years 1 and 2nd rounder plus a 4th then a second rounder the following  year.

If we ended up with Garrett Bradbury at #15 and then a 2nd round pick that became one of the second tier Edge rushers as well as a #1 next year then I'd be thrilled.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If we ended up with Garrett Bradbury at #15 and then a 2nd round pick that became one of the second tier Edge rushers as well as a #1 next year then I'd be thrilled.

Do that and sign Houston, make the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

Jets

#3 Pick - 2200

40% premium - 880

Total - 3080

Redskins

#15 - 1050

#46 - 440

#76 - 210

#96 - 116

Total - 2776 pts

Giants

#6 - 1700

#17 - 950

Total - 3080-3180

I would rather take the Redskins deal bc it would give us 6 picks in the first 2 days which could really help this team a lot immediately. You could also package a couple of 3rds to move back into the 2nd round. It would give them a lot of flexibility in the draft. Plus getting the additional first round picks in 2020, 2021 would also help a lot. That's potentially 2 Top 10-15 picks in those years. It frees them up to either use those picks as trade capital or for an impact player in the draft.

#96 is a comp pick which cannot be traded.

Edit: nevermind, guess they changed this.

19 hours ago, KRL said:

After looking at the picks WSH has I would want their #1, #2, #3 in 2019 and 
their #1 in 2020.  If they aren't willing to pay a "QB premium" forget it

Yep it's gotta be a kings ransom to come from 15 to 3. We also should sign Houston if we're going to miss on a pass rush sign the best one available 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Oh ok now I see they changed that. Thanks. I always thought it was silly they weren't tradeable anyway. Good change.

When you come to think about it, comp. picks in all sports are silly. When a player finishes out a contract, and seeks to work somewhere else, why should the first team receive anything? If you leave your job tomorrow to go across the street, does your current company get compensated?  Kind of defeats the term "free agency."

10 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

I trade to  back 15 snap up Garret Bradbury and fix the center problem then fleece the Redskins Jets get back the 2nd round next years 1 and 2nd rounder plus a 4th then a second rounder the following  year.

The only problem with that is Mac is the gm. Any idiot can pick a top 10 can’t blue chip near can’t miss prospect. Mac has shown when skill is needed to draft past first round, he has the worst draft record in nfl post easy round 1. Otherwise I would agree with you. Look at what colts did last yr with their 2nd round picks, rookie D player of yr, 2 other very good prospects.. Mac has wasted so many picks 2-7. 

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

When you come to think about it, comp. picks in all sports are silly. When a player finishes out a contract, and seeks to work somewhere else, why should the first team receive anything? If you leave your job tomorrow to go across the street, does your current company get compensated?  Kind of defeats the term "free agency."

The good thing is the signing team isn't the one giving up the pick. In baseball that teams often gives up a first rounder to sign a good player

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

A lot of times teams can't afford to keep good players they otherwise would have had it not been for the artificial limitation of the salary cap. I think the comp picks are intended to ease this pain.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

A lot of times teams can't afford to keep good players they otherwise would have had it not been for the artificial limitation of the salary cap. I think the comp picks are intended to ease this pain.

I hear what you are saying, and agree that's why they have the system. Just think that the system is silly. Just a pet peeve, I guess. I'm not a labor lawyer.?

16 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Even though Rosen is young his play last year left a lot to be desired. Plus his attitude is something that is well known.  After players like Manziel and a Leaf teams take that into account

This comparison is completely unfair. Rosen is a lot of things -arrogant, entitled, outspoken- but he's not on the level of these guys. Manziel and Leaf are addicts and criminals. Big ****ing difference. 

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Just because the jets paid a premium for a pick, doesn’t mean other teams will too.  I would be happy with a trade down that nets equal trade value.

There's always a QB premium and the Jets should collect it. 

32 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's a broken system and should be addressed. The idea was to ease the loss of losing players on the open market, but the reality is that it helps the good teams who can afford to lose players on the open market and gives them extra assets to replenish their rosters on the cheap. Meanwhile, bad teams are buying these free agents for a large piece of their salary cap which hurts their ability to build around those players. 

Th only reason Washington is in the conversation is because they are screwed with Alex Smith's contract and the only way to rectify that is by getting a young QB (i.e., cheap) on a rookie deal for 4-5 years.  On the other hand, they have too many holes to fill to give up a lot of draft picks.  Snyder will never go into full rebuild mode.  And the hopes of many posters that they'll give up 2019 first three picks and several 2020 picks is wishful thinking.

The logical play is with the Giants but that will never happen.  It wouldn't surprise me if Gettleman, who is one of those guys who tries to outthink himself, waits for Haskins to fall to him or he pulls a surprise and takes Drew Lock at #6.

Denver is a possibility but Mac would have to settle for #10, #41 and a 2020 first round or second and third round picks.  Elway has been terrible at picking QBs but has otherwise done well with his picks.  

Another team could surprise (Cincinnati?) but you have to look for a team who admittedly is in full rebuild mode.  I just don't think it's going to happen.  It's going to be Q, Bosa or Josh Allen. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

There's always a QB premium and the Jets should collect it. 

It's a broken system and should be addressed. The idea was to ease the loss of losing players on the open market, but the reality is that it helps the good teams who can afford to lose players on the open market and gives them extra assets to replenish their rosters on the cheap. Meanwhile, bad teams are buying these free agents for a large piece of their salary cap which hurts their ability to build around those players. 

Not every year is there a qb worth that premium.  This is one of those years.  The jets won’t get a premium for the 3rd pick.  They will have to take less or stay where they are.

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No the only problem is the red skins are not givejng up that much. Be realistic guys  a 1st this year and next. A couple other picks like 2 and 5 or 3 and 4. 

They gave up 3 first round picks and a 2nd to move up from 6 to 3 to get a QB. You think they wouldn't be willing to give up just as much to move from 15 to 3? It's the same owner who approved the last trade up.

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Not every year is there a qb worth that premium.  This is one of those years.  The jets won’t get a premium for the 3rd pick.  They will have to take less or stay where they are.

You're wrong

17 hours ago, choon328 said:

Jets

#3 Pick - 2200

40% premium - 880

Total - 3080

Redskins

#15 - 1050

#46 - 440

#76 - 210

#96 - 116

Total - 2776 pts

Giants

#6 - 1700

#17 - 950

Total - 3080-3180

I'm pretty sure you need to reduce that 2021 point value further.  2020 is worth one round less than 2019.  2021 is worth one round less than 2020, etc.  Not positive but I believe that's how the value chart would discount picks in further out years.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:04 PM, johnnysd said:

The question NO ONE will answer is this:

If Williams and Bosa are really that good and one of them is there at 2 why wouldnt there also be a lot of teams willing to trade up for them?

Totally agree with you. Think the same would hold true for us at #3, as well.

I don't think we can expect the Jets level of overpay from last year.   The Jets paid a high premium to box out anyone else from moving up.   The draft last year also had prospects with less question marks it seems.   There may be a premium to move up, but I don't think it will be to the level of what the Jets did last year .

On 3/21/2019 at 10:04 PM, johnnysd said:

The question NO ONE will answer is this:

If Williams and Bosa are really that good and one of them is there at 2 why wouldnt there also be a lot of teams willing to trade up for them?

There are more than a few factors at play. The biggest is that while EDGE is generally considered the second most valuable position in pro football, it's still far behind QB. I think almost all teams, and fans of teams, prefer the idea of trading down to trading up, and few are interested in trading up for anything but a QB. This compounded by the fact that this year is deep on defense and pass rusher in particular, making the top two guys -with their own warts- less valuable. 

If the Jets are gonna get a haul for #3, it's gonna come from a team looking for a QB. 

Archived