Lee trade for Emanuel Ogbah?? (Rumor)

GREENBEAN

5 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/report_three_teams_interested_in_jets_lb_darron_lee/s1_12680_28694282

There have been rumors flying around NFL circles that the New York Jets might be looking to move former first-round pick, linebacker Darron Lee.

While these have been nothing more than rumors in recent weeks, NFL insider Benjamin Allbright just noted on KDSP AM in Denver that three teams have already inquired about the linebacker. The report goes on to suggest New York is looking for a third-round pick in return.

Among those interested are the Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Lee, 24, was the No. 20 overall pick of the Jets back in 2016. The Ohio State product has started 36 of the 40 games in which he’s appeared in three seasons — recording a combined 258 tackles, 11 passes defended and three interceptions.

The decision to place Lee on the trade block likely stems from new head coach Adam Gase naming veteran Gregg Williams as the Jets defensive coordinator. Lee simply might not be as important to the defense in Williams’ scheme.

Cleveland’s interest can’t be considered too surprising. The team moved on from veteran Jamie Collins earlier in the offseason and needs an upgrade at linebacker. Unlike with Williams in New York, new Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks values linebacker play.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this ahead of next month’s draft. Even after dealing a third-round pick to the Giants in the blockbuster Odell Beckham Jr. trade, Cleveland still boasts a selection in that round (80th overall).

I doubt we get a 3rd but you have to consider Lee and 5th for a 3rd or even a just trade him for a 4th. 

I’m not as down on Darron Lee as other but he should have never been drafted for a 3-4. Idk what the hell Mac and Bowles were thinking.

He did well in coverage last year and should have value based on the fact that his contract is dirt cheap for his last non-option year of his rookie deal alone.

Compound that with the obvious issue that he was on arguably the most dysfunctional/poorly coached team in the league and playing out of position. Hopefully someone sees some value in him and we can move on. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/21/2019 at 4:34 AM, NYJ1 said:

They still can't. Lee gets torched by any receiver he's assigned to cover.

He doesnt though. You guys only look at the plays when he does get beat. You dont realize all the pass plays he is stopping with his good coverage. 

33 minutes ago, Barton said:

He doesnt though. You guys only look at the plays when he does get beat. You dont realize all the pass plays he is stopping with his good coverage. 

Truth. He also had 3 picks last year (one for a TD) and 5 PDs to go along  with his 5 TFL, and 74 combined tackles. 

This was out of 12 games.

1 minute ago, TheGoose said:

Truth. He also had 3 picks last year (one for a TD) and 5 PDs to go along  with his 5 TFL, and 74 combined tackles. 

This was out of 12 games.

No that was almost entirely in one game.

Lee sucked in every other game

As a comparison, CJ Mosely:

Diving into the five-year grades for every off-ball linebacker with 1,500-plus defensive snaps since 2014, Mosley’s 78.6 overall grade ranks 16th and his 87.0 run-defense grade ranks sixth among the 89 qualifiers. The concern is the replaceability (and therefore lack of value) of strong run defense and his lackluster coverage ability, as he ranks just 24th on the aforementioned list in coverage grade (73.8) and has earned a 73.0-plus single-season coverage grade just once in his career.

Mosley tied for 151st among qualifying defenders in PFF’s WAR (Wins Above Replacement) metric at 0.34 in 2018, and he tied for 25th among all off-ball linebackers; better coverage linebackers (i.e., Matt MilanoCory LittletonZach Brown) all ranked significantly ahead of him.

In his career-best season from a coverage grade standpoint (2017), Mosley ranked seventh among qualifiers, but he has failed to recreate such a high mark in any other year of his career. His 66.5 coverage grade this past season tied for 17th at the position.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-why-teams-shouldnt-break-the-bank-on-cj-mosley-in-free-agency

Stats aside 4x second team All Pro( 2014, 2016-2018) is an easy indicator for me. LB’s are grouped together so it could effect their rankings further..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024966/article/browns-trade-de-ogbah-to-chiefs-for-eric-murray

Browns trade DE Ogbah to Chiefs for Eric Murray

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • 0ap3000000930857.jpg
  • By Herbie Teope
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: April 1, 2019 at 05:04 p.m.
  • Updated: April 1, 2019 at 05:14 p.m.

Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey put on his wheeling-and-dealing hat yet again.

The Browns announced Monday afternoon that defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah has been traded to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for safety Eric Murray. The Chiefs also announced the transaction.

Ogbah did not report Monday for the start of the Browns' voluntary offseason workout program while the Browns actively pursued a trade partner, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported earlier.

With Ogbah, the Chiefs land an experienced player for a retooled defensive front as the team transitions from a 3-4 base defense to a 4-3 front under new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. In three seasons with the Browns, Ogbah started 40 games and totaled 122 tackles, 12.5 sacks and 29 quarterback hits.

The Chiefs previously signed defensive end Alex Okafor during free agency and the additions of Okafor and Ogbah come after Kansas City parted ways with outside linebackers Justin Houston, who later signed a free-agent deal with the Indianapolis Colts, and Dee Ford, whom the Chiefs traded to the San Francisco 49ers.

Meanwhile, Cleveland gets a player Dorsey knows well. Murray entered the league in 2016 as a fourth-round draft pick with the Chiefs while Dorsey served as the general manager.

The 25-year-old Murray, a converted college cornerback, provides versatility on the back end of coverage and replaces safety Derrick Kindred, who was released earlier Monday.

On his three-year career, Murray has appeared in 45 games with 11 starts, totaling 72 tackles, a sack, an interception and seven passes defensed.

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Greg Williams loves Lee so much, we spend 18 mill per on an ILB.

Get what we can for this bust. I’m hoping we can sucker someone into a 4 rounder.

Do you really think Lee is that bad? Thought he actually played fairly well last year.

25 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Do you really think Lee is that bad? Thought he actually played fairly well last year.

I don't think Lee is as bad as some on the board, but he's most likely done in NY.  As stated, we didn't spend $85 mil to bring Mosely in if we liked Lee. We already had Williamson here on a big pay check too.  Thing is If I can't get at least a 3rd, maybe a 4th, for him I would keep him. Relegate him to ST and reserve. He's making $1.8. No reason to create a depth need. 

That said, if AB got a 3rd and 5th and Rosen is attracting 2nd rd picks I can't see the Lee value being too high either. He may be here this season. 

34 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

He’s not an ILB that gets ran over in the run game. He can cover but is really a Bigger Safety.

He clearly never fulfilled his draft selection. Williams isn’t going to start him he’s a first rounder who’s now a rotation player at best. I thought Hewitt outplayed him when he was suspended.

23 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s not an ILB that gets ran over in the run game. He can cover but is really a Bigger Safety.

He clearly never fulfilled his draft selection. Williams isn’t going to start him he’s a first rounder who’s now a rotation player at best. I thought Hewitt outplayed him when he was suspended.

He did seem to come in and add something to the D.  That is probably the biggest indictment of Lee. Hewitt came in and it was noticed. 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

He did seem to come in and add something to the D.  That is probably the biggest indictment of Lee. Hewitt came in and it was noticed. 

The thing he did that you definitely saw was initiating contact, and being physical, all things that Lee can't, or won't do.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The thing he did that you definitely saw was initiating contact, and being physical, all things that Lee can't, or won't do.

Correct. 

I'm one who believes strongly that Rodgers was a terrible DC who had his players out of position often. That was one of the "excuses" I gave Lee while trying to find silver linings for his play. he's clearly an athletic player who has tons of speed so I would try to find reasons for his play being subpar. Hewitt's immediate impact speaks volumes against Lee as a player. It is possible hat Rodgers and Bowles played Hewitt differently than they did Lee, but that's a reach. 

Lee is just not that good overall. He may be decent in coverage, but he's underwhelming and could very well be a weak link on the D unit. 

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Correct. 

I'm one who believes strongly that Rodgers was a terrible DC who had his players out of position often. That was one of the "excuses" I gave Lee while trying to find silver linings for his play. he's clearly an athletic player who has tons of speed so I would try to find reasons for his play being subpar. Hewitt's immediate impact speaks volumes against Lee as a player. It is possible hat Rodgers and Bowles played Hewitt differently than they did Lee, but that's a reach. 

Lee is just not that good overall. He may be decent in coverage, but he's underwhelming and could very well be a weak link on the D unit. 

I agree with you. The highlighted would be the biggest indictment of Lee. Bart Scott hit the nail on the head last year when he called Lee out and said you can't shy away from contact when you play Lb in the NFL. Basically called him a p***y.

I agree with you. The highlighted would be the biggest indictment of Lee. Bart Scott hit the nail on the head last year when he called Lee out and said you can't shy away from contact when you play Lb in the NFL. Basically called him a p***y.

That’s right. I forgot all about that. That was pretty funny. Even though it aggravated me at the time. I didn’t want anyone talking about our guys!! Not even Bart.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Correct. 

If he stays, I just hope Williams can find a good use for the guy - who is obviously talented, if poorly suited for whatever it was Rodgers has in mind. My bigger worry is that he got suspended precisely at the time his play had picked up -> was that for PEDs or recreational use?

Lastly - are you a Mistborn fan or did you just like that image? I am like halfway through Hero of Ages. Great series. 

If he stays, I just hope Williams can find a good use for the guy - who is obviously talented, if poorly suited for whatever it was Rodgers has in mind. My bigger worry is that he got suspended precisely at the time his play had picked up -> was that for PEDs or recreational use?
Lastly - are you a Mistborn fan or did you just like that image? I am like halfway through Hero of Ages. Great series. 

I’m
A huge Brandon Sanderson fan. Mistborn was the first series I read from him. Still one of my faves. If you like it get into the storm light archive series afterward. He’s writing book 4 of the projected 10 now. 900-1200 pages each. Nice lite reading.

The steel inquisitor pic is good because it also applies to what it’s like watching the NY Jets.

That’s an
Interesting observation about the PED stuff and his play. I thought it was weed. No?

On 3/20/2019 at 3:13 PM, Mogglez said:

All you guys wanting to keep Lee do realize that the Mosley signing sealed his fate here, right?

Pass coverage is not one of Mosley’s strengths. Might see Lee in on pass coverage plays. Not that Mosley would come out but I’m not sure of the Defensive schemes: where they may both be playing and Lee drops back in coverage while Mosley comes hard up the middle. Either way Lee must be an impact player this year to stay on the team. I don’t think they trade him.

Archived