Siemian to Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an Excellent signing

Siemian has a good deal of starting experience, can get to his second read, is accurate on short slant-type passes in the middle of the field (Gase speciality) and is a decent athlete.  He’s probably just as good as tannenhill ever was. 

43 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

What's the point in signing a back up to a 1 year deal? Why not just sign him for like 6 years and forget about it? 

Because the backup wants the abiity to move on if a starting spot opens up next season

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It takes 5 trevor siemians to = 1 josh mccown obviously

Except you know, if youre being counted on mentoring the most important player at the most important position that we've drafted in 40 years.  

Then you get cheap and worry about someone elses money that had no effect on the team.  Other than give some something to complain about as if it did

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So David Webb is as good as gone then?

Need a good four arms in training camp. No reason to make any moves with him until teams start to cut their rosters down in the summer, I'd think. Jets were always either gonna bring back McCown or sign another vet backup. Nothing's really changed. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’d say.

he didnt look THAT bad in Denver, he’s just best suited as a back up.

There was also a stretch where he looked like a solid starter.  I'll have to go back to his game logs but I vaguely remember a stretch (meaning more than just 2 or 3 games) where he was possibly looking like the longterm answer for Denver.  Not sure what happened after that but I like the same things that most people here are saying....

1. Starting experience (20+ games)

2. Still young

3. Cheap

4. Has shown an ability to lead and win some games

Nobody is expecting a Wentz/Foles situation here but we could have done far worse than Siemian.

Question - What does this say about the development (or lack thereof) of Davis Webb if he can't even earn a #2 job after two seasons?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Still at an A- for FA. the two big gaps are still there

I think that's a generous grade given no Edge rusher and no Center which were obviously the biggest gaps on the roster.  Bell, Crowder, Mosely, the trade for Osemele were all good upgrades....but they were upgrading positions from like a C to a B+ or an A.  At Edge and Center we still have either D players or Incompletes IMO.

My grade for FA would be an Incomplete.

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think that's a generous grade given no Edge rusher and no Center which were obviously the biggest gaps on the roster.  Bell, Crowder, Mosely, the trade for Osemele were all good upgrades....but they were upgrading positions from like a C to a B+ or an A.  At Edge and Center we still have either D players or Incompletes IMO.

My grade for FA would be an Incomplete.

I take into account the draft pick for the pass rusher. So that lightened the need for that. And that he has never traded down.

The center is the true hole. I had him at a B+ before signing Poole, Compton etc.

Now I will say that I don't think he can get an A+ at this point. The highest he can get is an A. If Barr stayed and he signed a center, then an A+

48 minutes ago, slats said:

Need a good four arms in training camp. No reason to make any moves with him until teams start to cut their rosters down in the summer, I'd think. Jets were always either gonna bring back McCown or sign another vet backup. Nothing's really changed. 

I don't care about camp arms throwing to the future meat cutters of America.

Signing Siemian means we will not be retaining Webb.

Which is ok, just a little disappointing.  Would have liked to see Webb play as the #2 with a chance to hang on in preseason.  Now that's doubtful.

Siemian is a pretty bad QB.  But at least he's cheap'ish I suppose.  I don't really expect him to step in and win, same as I wouldn't have expected McCown to do so.  So it's not a terribly exciting move IMO.  Young and bad instead of old and bad, but cheaper.

Guess that hope that comes with an unknown (Webb) is still a powerful driver for me vs. the known failed meh guy (Siemian), but I can certainly understand the move.  NFL teams always want a guy with experience as the #2, even if they sucked in that experience (and Siemian was pretty sucky tbh).

Sidegrade IMO.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

Nice signing. One year deal. $2M.  Max up to $3M if incentives are met.  Took him from the Vikings.  They tried to re-sign him.  He brings 24 games of starting experience from his time with the Broncos with him.

Not to pile on Mac, but we could have carried over 7 more Million to this year's cap if he paid McCown this same amount last year. Why would there be this difference when Siemian while not the exp. vet as much as McCown would be an even more trust worthy backup. With that darn 7M we could have had more to spend on a FA pass rusher or center. Geez!. 

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I like this move ... Seasoned backup with some starting experience ... But won't hinder Sam's self growth with ideas of his own.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yea at this point Sam shouldn’t need a big brother....not saying Sam has arrived but he has a year under his belt there’s no need to have a mentor hold his hand. You have to trust that Gase can coach him up and Sam can continue to learn how to navigate being a franchise QB through his own experience...

2 hours ago, slats said:

Cut Webb after preseason week 4

Archived