Todd Haley on Bell's running style

More Cowbell

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/79384/todd-haley-leveon-bells-unique-style-will-require-patience-from-jets%3fplatform=amp

I think he's making too big a deal about this but the article said he spends nearly 4 seconds on average behind the LOS looking for a hole. That seems like a really long time.

That was the Steelers' OLine.  He's getting 2 seconds here.

It's super cliche I guess but I really do think the "game slows down" for him... He has the patience to wait, and he doesn't just see one opening, he's looking beyond that also to try and figure out what he needs to do to beat the LBs and safeties once he gets past the DL. 

I really do believe he often runs with a plan for getting by every level of the defense. He doesn't just get past the DL and wing it. He knows where he wants to go.

Of course that doesn't mean it always works... Or even work half the time for that matter... But I definitely think he's a more cerebral runner than a lot of guys. 

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/79384/todd-haley-leveon-bells-unique-style-will-require-patience-from-jets%3fplatform=amp

I think he's making too big a deal about this but the article said he spends nearly 4 seconds on average behind the LOS looking for a hole. That seems like a really long time.

Instead of worrying about the how he gets results reasoning, theres always the results to look at.  

He has the most yards per game of any RB in the history of the game.  Good enough 

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That was the Steelers' OLine.  He's getting 2 seconds here.

I think what Bell does is wait til the linesman comes off the block and then picks his hole.  LB goes this way, I go that way type of thing.  I am not sure how good the line has to be.  Pit thad to be letting some of these DL slide through.

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think what Bell does is wait til the linesman comes off the block and then picks his hole.  LB goes this way, I go that way type of thing.  I am not sure how good the line has to be.  Pit thad to be letting some of these DL slide through.

IIRC Pitt Olineman basically just hold their blocks in most run plays and while they are keeping their block Lev Bell is able to read the 2nd level, as you said and chose where to run. I don't remember where I saw this video but essentially this was the case on these "longer developing" runs. Bell's patience can be a huge blessing to Q and Robby. If Sam develops and Bell is close to what he was, we are going to have an interesting Offense this year.

Am I crazy or didn’t the Steelers have a pretty bad online for bells first few years? I remember Ben just getting wrecked and a lot of criticism being placed on the online- it’s why they drafts pouncey- maybe that was way pre bell 

32 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Am I crazy or didn’t the Steelers have a pretty bad online for bells first few years? I remember Ben just getting wrecked and a lot of criticism being placed on the online- it’s why they drafts pouncey- maybe that was way pre bell 

I took a look at the Steelers OL run blocking ranking from Football Outsiders. For most of his career, they were ranked between 3rd and 8th. His first year they were ranked 22nd. So aside from his first year, he ran behind a pretty good OL.

But at the end of the day, Bell’s greatest asset is his receiving skills and his ability to run routes like a WR. That doesn’t change. We should be able to pencil him in for at least 70 receptions if he stays healthy all year.

Im expecting something like 1,100 yards rushing  on 250 carries and 600 yards receiving on 70 receptions. 

If Bell is so good, the waiting won't be a problem.  It should help by setting up the defenders.  I think the main issue is that switching holes often results in holding penalties.  When an offensive lineman gets a good grip, but then the play switches sides, the defender pulls off and you end up with a holding call.  What I like is that this seems to line up well with Darnold.  I think Darnold's extending plays does the same thing.  

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that we just traded for a guy who just 6 months ago was considered the best roadgrading guard in the league.

And like Beerfish said, over the better part of the last decade, I think Jets fans have grown accustomed to watching Jet RB’s immediately plow head first into the nearest OL’s a$$hole. 

That isn’t the case with Bell in the slightest. Extremely patient runner coupled with elite field vision.

He’s going to be awesome for the Jets and especially Darnold’s early development.

Le'Veon Bell is adaptable.  It's his vision that makes him tick, the Jets OL will be good enough.  Besides, have a little faith in Darnold to threaten defenses with the pass.  When people discuss Bell's patience, it sometimes feels like they think he is putzing around on every carry waiting for something to open up. 

That is simply not the case.  If there is an immediate opening,  he sees it and will hit it quickly.  

I can't stress this enough.  I have watched this guy play regularly for years.

Stop worrying!   Just sit back and enjoy the ride....

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that we just traded for a guy who just 6 months ago was considered the best roadgrading guard in the league.

And like Beerfish said, over the better part of the last decade, I think Jets fans have grown accustomed to watching Jet RB’s immediately plow head first into the nearest OL’s a$$hole. 

That isn’t the case with Bell in the slightest. Extremely patient runner coupled with elite field vision.

He’s going to be awesome for the Jets and especially Darnold’s early development.

Definitely haven't forgotten...... but we really need to secure a STUD Center to pair with him. Maybe Harrison is that guy? IDK

Beachum - Draft Pick

Osemele -

Harrison - Wisniewski - Draft Pick

Winters -

Shell -

Shell will be a UFA in 2020. Need to decide what we will be doing at RT.              

Message.  Lineman stay on your blocks.  Finish the play.  Something they didn't do last year.  It was maddening.  Our highly respected new Offensive Line Coach will fix that, I'm sure.  

Another thing.  Ben Rapelisberger did not invent the "check down" pass.  It is not rocket science.  It takes an aware Quarterback, who moves well in the pocket, goes through his progressions, and has his head looking downfield.  Sam does all of that, and will get better.  The quick looks and short outlets to multiple targets  are a feature of the Adam Gase Offense. This is how you move the ball.

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Message.  Lineman stay on your blocks.  Finish the play.  Something they didn't do last year.  It was maddening.  Our highly respected new Offensive Line Coach will fix that, I'm sure.  

Another thing.  Ben Rapelisberger did not invent the "check down" pass.  It is not rocket science.  It takes an aware Quarterback, who moves well in the pocket, goes through his progressions, and has his head looking downfield.  Sam does all of that, and will get better.  The quick looks and short outlets to multiple targets  are a feature of the Adam Gase Offense. This is how you move the ball.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I read the article. All RB's chip unless there is a free runner at the QB. I'm pretty sure that is what Bell and Ben are doing.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Instead of worrying about the how he gets results reasoning, theres always the results to look at.  

He has the most yards per game of any RB behind a decent o-line in the history of the game.  Good enough 

fixed that for you Nut'en!

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I was actually thinking the same thing when I read the article. All RB's chip unless there is a free runner at the QB. I'm pretty sure that is what Bell and Ben are doing.

All running backs except for the notable exception of one Isiah Crowell, that is.  He was more of a disinterested bystander when it came to that.  #2 reason I wanted him off the team.  #'s 1 and 1a were his attitude and penchant for running the ball straight into the line of scrimmage, hole be damned.  Others mentioned that propensity in the Jets offense of the past 4 years, in this thread.  He immediately came to mind. Bell does none of those things.

Football run games are about timing and teamwork. On standard run plays the RB is supposed to take the ball and hit where the hole is supposed to be and trust that it will be there. No pause. No hesitation. Bell is a different kind of cat. He doesn't do that. He waits and watches, then hits the hole wherever it may appear. It works for him. He's special that way. The o lineman like it while he's grinding out runs and winning games, but they have been known to complain that his style requires them to hold blocks longer and tires them out. The O lineman rarely gripe when it's working. No one wants to rock the boat when things are going well.

Archived