Second Day Potential Starters at Center

Rsherman28

OhioState_logo.gif Michael Jordan*, C/G, Ohio State 
Height: 6-6. Weight: 312. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.20. 
Projected Round (2019): 2-3. 

3/16/19: Jordan moved to center in 2018 and proved to be a good starter there, which really improves his value for the NFL. In speaking with sources, they see Jordan as a potential second-day pick. Some scouts who were through Ohio State told me that they thought that Jordan was unlikely to enter the 2019 NFL Draft, but after the season, he announced he was skipping his senior year instead. 

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Jordan checks in at 6-foot-6, 312 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 5.20 seconds. His arms measure at 34.63 inches, his hands at 10.25 inches, and his wing span at 84 inches. He has excellent size and length for guard, and his measurable's would fit as a tackle. 

Jordan broke into the starting lineup as a freshman at guard and showed improvement in 2017 as a sophomore. Jordan should keep up the recent tradition of early-round interior line prospects from Ohio State. He has good size to go with strength and athleticism. After gaining experience and developing, Jordan could dominate as a junior and senior to become an early-round pick in his draft class.

PennState_logo.gif Connor McGovern, C/G, Penn State 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 312. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.31. 
Projected Round (2019): 3-5. 

3/16/19: McGovern played well for Penn State in 2018. He has the flexibility to play guard or center in the NFL. His run blocking is ahead of his pass protection. At the combine, McGovern interviewed well, but did not run the 40. 

8/28/18: McGovern was a quality run blocker for Penn State in 2017, helping to open a lot of holes for Saquon Barkley. In pass protection, McGovern was generally a reliable protector for Trace McSorley. McGovern has good height and length to him. It would help him to get stronger for the NFL

The jets pick twice in the 3rd round and either of these guys can be there. We have the 4th pick in the 3rd round (68) and the 30th pick in the 3rd round (94) from the Saints.  

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Pierschbacher from Alabama

He’s nothing special but is technically sound and could be a rock solid starting center for 8-10 years.

Decent chance he’s still there at the top of the 4th round.

He is a solid player. I do think that this issue will be addressed by the end of the 3rd rd. At least I hope it is?

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

https://www.nfldraftgeek.com/erik-mccoy-nfl-draft-profile/

I think McCoy will be there in Rd. 3 as well. 

He is solid I am just not sure what kind of scheme Adam Gase is bringing with our personal. 

In the case of the Dolphins, head coach Adam Gase, typically has not been a “zone-blocking scheme” coach, though it does make some appearances. In December 2014, The MMQB took a look at Gase and his time with the Broncos, writing, “Gase only sprinkles in the occasional zone-blocking run. ’If you want to run zone-running plays, you have to do it over and over again. You have to have reps,’ (former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike) Martz.

Gase likes to play with two tight ends on the field - something we should see more and more of this year

Bringing back Eric Tomilson was huge for our scheme I believe. Herndon is a progressing blocker, more known for passing but can get the job done. I think Tomilson is going to benefit well from a lot of 2 tight end sets, where he might not just block. 

Jury is still out on Jordan  Leggett. 

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

When you need OL, these are the types of guys you add and how to develop/workout in rounds 3 and 4.

Not Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen.  

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see a camp battle between Jonathan Harrison and one of these rookies. 

The last 4 week's he did very good in the run game ( hint why Darnold played good last 4 games ) 

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Pierschbacher from Alabama

He’s nothing special but is technically sound and could be a rock solid starting center for 8-10 years.

Decent chance he’s still there at the top of the 4th round.

One of my favorite draft players ever was Barrett Jones. The Alabama center for multiple national championship teams when McCarron was the QB. I thought for sure he would be a steal given his college career. 

For whatever reason he failed to make it in the league at all.  Out of football after being a reserve for 3 years. 

I think the problem with guys like him and Pierschaber is that Alabama just needs a smart dependable guy st the position as they are surrounded with so many other talented lineman. They aren’t elite athletes on their own. Just my opinion but it’s why I’m wary of Pierschaber

8 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

He is solid I am just not sure what kind of scheme Adam Gase is bringing with our personal. 

In the case of the Dolphins, head coach Adam Gase, typically has not been a “zone-blocking scheme” coach, though it does make some appearances. In December 2014, The MMQB took a look at Gase and his time with the Broncos, writing, “Gase only sprinkles in the occasional zone-blocking run. ’If you want to run zone-running plays, you have to do it over and over again. You have to have reps,’ (former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike) Martz.

Gase likes to play with two tight ends on the field - something we should see more and more of this year

Bringing back Eric Tomilson was huge for our scheme I believe. Herndon is a progressing blocker, more known for passing but can get the job done. I think Tomilson is going to benefit well from a lot of 2 tight end sets, where he might not just block. 

Jury is still out on Jordan  Leggett. 

Which is why I am advocating for McCoy. He is 1- a legit C...not OT or OG that COULD play C. This guys knows how to play C. 2- He should be there in Rd. 3 b/c he is not a huge talent. He's not Alex Mack who was immovable in college and was drafted in the first round. 3- He can play a variety of schemes and he is 'balanced' in the sense that he is good in the pas game and the run game. 

Who knows if McCoy will end up being a Pro-Bowl C or not but everything I've read about him suggests he can step right in and start in the NFL.   

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Which is why I am advocating for McCoy. He is 1- a legit C...not OT or OG that COULD play C. This guys knows how to play C. 2- He should be there in Rd. 3 b/c he is not a huge talent. He's not Alex Mack who was immovable in college and was drafted in the first round. 3- He can play a variety of schemes and he is 'balanced' in the sense that he is good in the pas game and the run game. 

Who knows if McCoy will end up being a Pro-Bowl C or not but everything I've read about him suggests he can step right in and start in the NFL.   

Yah, everyone is talking about our need for offensive line and might be overlooking on how good of a signing Frank Pollack is. 

Last 3 year rankings of the lines he coached. 

2018 - Bengals - 12th

2017 - Cowboys - 10th

2016 Cowboys 8th

I know they have great players, I just thought that was a good resume when hiring him. 

We also have a great a great assistant offense line coach in Derek Frazier

http://www.cm-life.com/article/2019/01/derek-frazier-central-michigan-football-chippewas-offensive-line-coach-joins-new-york-jets-national-football-league-jim-mcelwain-story-1-25-19 

30 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see a camp battle between Jonathan Harrison and one of these rookies. 

The last 4 week's he did very good in the run game ( hint why Darnold played good last 4 games ) 

In the last 4 games the Jets ran for 104 (with Darnold ripping off one run for 28 yards), 47, 90 and 78 yards.  I think we're blinded by the terrible games by Long to think that Harrison was adequate.  He wasn't.

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

In the last 4 games the Jets ran for 104 (with Darnold ripping off one run for 28 yards), 47, 90 and 78 yards.  I think we're blinded by the terrible games by Long to think that Harrison was adequate.  He wasn't.

What were the rushing attempts on the 3 games with 104, 90, 78? I am curious 

13 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Weren’t the Jets without both Crowell and Powell over the last 3-4 weeks of the season?

I think a lot of that can be chalked up to just how jaggy a guy like McGuire is. And Cannon probably wouldn’t even be on an NFL roster if it wasn’t for his speed.

The Jets OL last year was below average for the most part, no question. But I don’t think we entered the offseason with the worst unit in the league or anything. And it certainly got better with the addition of Osemele.

Harrison may very well not be the answer at center for a couple of years, but at least I can’t recall any errant snaps when he was in last season.

Frankly, I just want a competent, solid player there. I’m not obsessed with finding the next Mawae or Mangold like half of the fanbase seems to be right now. 

Just give me a guy who can hold his own and won’t send snaps flying at Darnold's ankles or over his noggin.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

https://www.nfldraftgeek.com/erik-mccoy-nfl-draft-profile/

I think McCoy will be there in Rd. 3 as well. 

McCoy has been getting buzz since the combine:

Daniel Jeremiah has him going 30th in his mock draft (March 5th) :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021156/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-20-cards-go-kyler-murray

It seems like he may not be there in the 3rd but still a lot of time until the draft and you never know, he could slip in the draft.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

When you need OL, these are the types of guys you add and how to develop/workout in rounds 3 and 4.

Not Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen.  

I said in 2017 that Pat Elflein should have been taken in the third, and instead idiot Macc traded down that year to take Chad Hansen, who’s no longer on the team. I still say that was as dumb a draft mistake as picking Suckenberg in the second round a year earlier

10 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I said in 2017 that Pat Elflein should have been taken in the third, and instead idiot Macc traded down that year to take Chad Hansen, who’s no longer on the team. I still say that was as dumb a draft mistake as picking Suckenberg in the second round a year earlier

I wanted Elflein too but fact is the guy has been average at best since coming into the league.

No to McGovern. Dude is a stiff. Seen him play numerous games and defenders go around him like he’s a turnstile. 
Not to be funny but isnt the whole point of having guards to solidify the line where it is weaker? After last year I would honestly just be happy to have a center that doesn't botch the snap

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

49 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Average is an upgrade for our OLine. Plus the guy could have played center

Elflein graded out worse than both Long and Harrison last year.

I really liked him coming out of college, but he’s definitely been a disappointment in the pros so far.

Archived