Le’Veon Bell: I can be even more dangerous with Jets

stugotz81

Oh yeaah!!

March 20, 2019 | 5:06pm

Le'Veon Bell
Le’Veon Bell believes he has not yet played his best. The new Jets running back believes he can be even better than he was with the Steelers now that he is in a new uniform.

“Through this whole time,” Bell said in an interview with Sports Illustrated, “I’m still thinking, the first five years in Pittsburgh, people ain’t really seen it yet. Because I still feel like while I was in Pittsburgh, they wasn’t trying to let me go crazy, like, really let me put my foot on the pedal. I feel like now I am in a better situation. I made that bet on myself — a team’s gonna want me, they’re gonna value me, they’re gonna want me to succeed, put me in the right situations to make the plays easier for me, not harder.”

Bell was a workhorse for the Steelers. He had 406 touches in 2017 before sitting out last year during a contract dispute. He ran for 1,361 yards in 2014 and crossed the 1,200 mark again in 2016 and ’17.

Still, he thinks he can be better.

“I know I can do more,” Bell said. “That’s not anywhere close to being my potential or my ceiling. In Pittsburgh, we had a lot of weapons, a lot. So I feel like in Pittsburgh, people felt like everybody gotta get the ball or do this, that or the other. I don’t feel like I had a lot of opportunities like I could have.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Bell shed some light on the negotiations with the Jets. Even though the contract did not hit the $15 million annual average value he was hoping to land in free agency but the four-year, $52.5 million contract the Jets gave him does have incentives and escalators that could push the value to $15 million per year.

“I understand the base salary is $13.1 or whatever it is,” Bell said. “But there are incentives to where you have the ability to make $15 million. They met me in the middle. Yeah, we know you want $15 million a year. They know that’s what I ultimately wanted, but, you sat out football all year. So you gotta understand us—I’m talking as the Jets—you still gotta understand us, from our side, we gotta protect ourselves. We can’t put all this in there and you’re still not the same player. …. So if I go out there, I’m the same player, I go out there and do what Le’Veon Bell does, what they expect me to do, I can meet that. That’s something I can agree to. Easy deal.”

Bell also said he clicked with Jets coach Adam Gase.

Le'Veon Bell throws gas on Ben Roethlisberger controversy: 'Tough to play with'
“When I talked to coach Gase, I felt like me and him were on the same level,” he said. “He’s not talking to me like I’m under him. He’s the head coach, but he’s talking to me like we’re on the same level. When I talked to the GM [Mike Maccagnan], he talked to me [and] we’re on the same level. This is a guy that is higher than me, don’t get me wrong, he’s the GM. But it’s like we’re talking like we’re talking – you respect me, I respect you.”

Bell said he and Gase talked about plays he likes, something that did not happen with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

“[Gase] is excited. I’m excited,” Bell said. “He’s talked to me about plays I like and designs and what routes and things I like to run and how comfortable I am with playing other positions. We’ve talked. That’s why I’m so excited because I feel comfortable enough to even talk to him like that, like we should try to run this. I would never go to coach Tomlin. I remember like my rookie year, when I was coming into camp, I remember there was a play and I was like ‘I like this play, we should try to run this play.’ Coach Tomlin was like, ‘shut up L Bell, you just run the ball.’”

https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/leveon-bell-i-can-be-even-more-dangerous-with-jets/

image.gif

Man this is the Jets Fan boy stuff I want to hear, really makes me think our coaching staff and outlook has changed. Now I doubt bell is picking the plays but even just showing interest in wanting to use players strengths or "likes", is a huge step up from bowles. Man this is going to be a great year! Sing that O line Macc

He’s gonna find that all those other mouths to feed help him even when he gets the ball. Defenders are gonna laser focus on him as a Jet. My guess is he’s pretty lackluster in running game first couple games. Up to Game/Darnold to make defenses pay to keep them honest.

33 minutes ago, stugotz81 said:

Oh yeaah!!

March 20, 2019 | 5:06pm

Le'Veon Bell
Le’Veon Bell believes he has not yet played his best. The new Jets running back believes he can be even better than he was with the Steelers now that he is in a new uniform.

“Through this whole time,” Bell said in an interview with Sports Illustrated, “I’m still thinking, the first five years in Pittsburgh, people ain’t really seen it yet. Because I still feel like while I was in Pittsburgh, they wasn’t trying to let me go crazy, like, really let me put my foot on the pedal. I feel like now I am in a better situation. I made that bet on myself — a team’s gonna want me, they’re gonna value me, they’re gonna want me to succeed, put me in the right situations to make the plays easier for me, not harder.”

Bell was a workhorse for the Steelers. He had 406 touches in 2017 before sitting out last year during a contract dispute. He ran for 1,361 yards in 2014 and crossed the 1,200 mark again in 2016 and ’17.

Still, he thinks he can be better.

“I know I can do more,” Bell said. “That’s not anywhere close to being my potential or my ceiling. In Pittsburgh, we had a lot of weapons, a lot. So I feel like in Pittsburgh, people felt like everybody gotta get the ball or do this, that or the other. I don’t feel like I had a lot of opportunities like I could have.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Bell shed some light on the negotiations with the Jets. Even though the contract did not hit the $15 million annual average value he was hoping to land in free agency but the four-year, $52.5 million contract the Jets gave him does have incentives and escalators that could push the value to $15 million per year.

“I understand the base salary is $13.1 or whatever it is,” Bell said. “But there are incentives to where you have the ability to make $15 million. They met me in the middle. Yeah, we know you want $15 million a year. They know that’s what I ultimately wanted, but, you sat out football all year. So you gotta understand us—I’m talking as the Jets—you still gotta understand us, from our side, we gotta protect ourselves. We can’t put all this in there and you’re still not the same player. …. So if I go out there, I’m the same player, I go out there and do what Le’Veon Bell does, what they expect me to do, I can meet that. That’s something I can agree to. Easy deal.”

Bell also said he clicked with Jets coach Adam Gase.

Le'Veon Bell throws gas on Ben Roethlisberger controversy: 'Tough to play with'
“When I talked to coach Gase, I felt like me and him were on the same level,” he said. “He’s not talking to me like I’m under him. He’s the head coach, but he’s talking to me like we’re on the same level. When I talked to the GM [Mike Maccagnan], he talked to me [and] we’re on the same level. This is a guy that is higher than me, don’t get me wrong, he’s the GM. But it’s like we’re talking like we’re talking – you respect me, I respect you.”

Bell said he and Gase talked about plays he likes, something that did not happen with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

“[Gase] is excited. I’m excited,” Bell said. “He’s talked to me about plays I like and designs and what routes and things I like to run and how comfortable I am with playing other positions. We’ve talked. That’s why I’m so excited because I feel comfortable enough to even talk to him like that, like we should try to run this. I would never go to coach Tomlin. I remember like my rookie year, when I was coming into camp, I remember there was a play and I was like ‘I like this play, we should try to run this play.’ Coach Tomlin was like, ‘shut up L Bell, you just run the ball.’”

https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/leveon-bell-i-can-be-even-more-dangerous-with-jets/

image.gif

Reminds me of how Gase talked about staying up late during game weeks and sending and receiving voice recordings through text breaking down film and coverage's. 

Seem's like he share's that same relationship with potentially more than just his quarterbacks. 

What Gase had in Tannehill as far as game knowledge and reading defenses was below average. His first 2 years of college he was a wide receiver and who can forget this . 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-hard-knocks/0ap2000000209162/Hard-Knocks-Tannehill-doesn-t-know-his-divisions 

52 minutes ago, stugotz81 said:

“When I talked to coach Gase, I felt like me and him were on the same level,” he said. “He’s not talking to me like I’m under him. He’s the head coach, but he’s talking to me like we’re on the same level. When I talked to the GM [Mike Maccagnan], he talked to me [and] we’re on the same level. This is a guy that is higher than me, don’t get me wrong, he’s the GM. But it’s like we’re talking like we’re talking – you respect me, I respect you.”image.gif

:rolleyes:

This screams "Feed me the ball" This should also scream out to Mac "Beast Out" on that OL!!

If that OL is not ready to battle and dominate the trenches what's the point of signing Bell?

The goal is to open holes to get this man into the 2nd level where he can break 30-40 yard plays 4-5 times/game.

This will also open up the outside for  Anderson when those Safeties move up towards the line.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

He’s gonna find that all those other mouths to feed help him even when he gets the ball. Defenders are gonna laser focus on him as a Jet. My guess is he’s pretty lackluster in running game first couple games. Up to Game/Darnold to make defenses pay to keep them honest.

Below is a tweet I found from 2016

Marcus Mosher Retweeted Marcus Mosher

Marcus Mosher added,

Marcus MosherVerified account @Marcus_Mosher
Le'Veon Bell sees a 8+ man box 28% of the time. Ezekiel Elliott sees a 8+ man box 41% of the time.
7:54 AM - 16 Dec 2016

Below are running backs who went against 8-men box defense in 2017

Fournette - 49%

Howard - 43%

Ingram - 42%

McCoy - 36%

Gordon - 29%

Hunt - 24%

CJA - 22%

Bell - 20%

• Gurley - 17%

I agree with you that Bell will be seeing about double the more 8 men box defense sets than he had with all of those play makers.

But the same way Ju Ju Smith,AB,and M.Bryant benefited from one on one coverage considering 85% of the defense is covering the run, is the same way Quincy, Robbie Anderson, and Jamison Crowder are gonna raise there numbers. 

erson,

Uncoded: Pittsburgh had a bunch of wepponz. Jets have dick in comparison.

Is there any other way of interpreting this?

1 minute ago, Rsherman28 said:

Marcus Mosher added,

Le'Veon Bell sees a 8+ man box 28% of the time. Ezekiel Elliott sees a 8+ man box 41% of the time.

Fournette - 49%

Howard - 43%

Ingram - 42%

McCoy - 36%

Gordon - 29%

Hunt - 24%

CJA - 22%

Bell - 20%

• Gurley - 17%

I agree with you that Bell will be seeing about double the more 8 men box defense sets than he had with all of those play makers.

But the same way Ju Ju Smith,AB,and M.Bryant benefited from one on one coverage considering 85% of the defense is covering the run, is the same way Quincy, Robbie Anderson, and Jamison Crowder are gonna raise there numbers. 

erson,

If that becomes SOP of a DC, I would run wheel routes and move Bell out wide right before the snap. An LB or S would have to come up in coverage. Creates a lot of HAVOC.

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If that becomes SOP of a DC, I would run wheel routes and move Bell out wide right before the snap. An LB or S would have to come up in coverage. Creates a lot of HAVOC.

Works in madden every time lol 

Really excited to see how this benefits Herndon as well. He lines up a lot in the slot and has great route running towards the middle of the field.

Still would like to see them bring another tight end in to compete with or potentially replace the "soon to be" bust from Clemson Jordan Leggett. 

Maybe bring back ASJ, Austin Seferian Jenkins 

Everybody hates Adam Gase.  Nobody wants to play for Adam Gase.  Turns out LeVeon Bell, Sam Darnold, CJ Moseley, and a host of other high profile achievers want to play for Adam Gase. 

Maybe it's the spoiled, self centered, self important, Divas and clubhouse lawyers who don't want to play for Adam Gase.  Another Urban Legend put to rest.  LeVeon Bell gives the Mad Scientist a few more explosives to play with in his laboratory.  It's going to be fun.

"Build that Wall".

14 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Marcus Mosher added,

Fournette - 49%

Howard - 43%

Ingram - 42%

McCoy - 36%

Gordon - 29%

Hunt - 24%

CJA - 22%

Bell - 20%

• Gurley - 17%

erson,

Sam Darnold. The reason the Jets will see less 8 man fronts than in years past.

The other this is the Jets have 3 #2 receivers....keep them all on the field with Herndon. Spread people out you can run or pass on any down. Crazy concept based on what we have seen from the Jets in years past.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The other this is the Jets have 3 #2 receivers....keep them all on the field with Herndon. Spread people out you can run or pass on any down. Crazy concept based on what we have seen from the Jets in years past.

I sorry but ik curious who are the number 2s? We have two slots and a deep threat pony. I would buy enuwa as a number 2 but not the others ... Maybe they come into thier own?

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I completely agree. Kind of what he did at USC and what I think Gase was trying to bring to Miami. Not necessarily a "labeled" spread offense but a lot of wrinkle of that and a possible week to week change on scheme 

Found an article from when Darnold was at USC. Here is a small piece of it. After that is another piece from Gase when he started in Miami and what he was trying to bring as far as week to week scheming. 

"I think we're a spread," Darnold said. "But I think we like to run the ball a little bit more than the typical spread offense would. But, yeah, I guess we're a spread, if you want to put it in literal terms."

Offensive coordinator Tee Martin said that USC is "doing some of those concepts a little more."

Coach Clay Helton poked a hole in the spread theory, explaining that a traditional spread uses four receivers and no tight ends.

And, Helton said, "we always have a tight end of the field."

USC never expected its offense to fit neatly in any existing categories. In training camp, right tackle Zach Banner called USC's offense the "smash and gun" — effectively, power football on fast forward. That is still the bedrock, but Darnold has further muddled the classification.

"Honestly," receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster said, pausing to consider, "I can't really say it's a spread team. It's a mixture of everything."

Gase

My influences coming from Martz and doing what we did in Denver and kind of developing a different deal in Chicago, so it’s just so many things combined it’s hard to put your thumb on what exactly it is.

“I just know that we just look to kind of be able adapt from week to week and do what’s best for that game that marries up with our defense and special teams.”

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I sorry but ik curious who are the number 2s? We have two slots and a deep threat pony. I would buy enuwa as a number 2 but not the others ... Maybe they come into thier own?

Who are the 2 slot guys? 

I would consider Q as more of a hybrid receiver and I am not sold on Deontay Burnett yet or at all lol 

32 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Marcus Mosher added,

Fournette - 49%

Howard - 43%

Ingram - 42%

McCoy - 36%

Gordon - 29%

Hunt - 24%

CJA - 22%

Bell - 20%

• Gurley - 17%

Fournette, Howard, McCoy, Hunt and CJA did NOT have quality QB play in 2017. Bell had Big Ben who made you pay for stacking the box.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I think you're underestimating Robby, Q, Herndon and Crowder.  Especially considering Sam is now entering his 2nd year.

I'll be conservative and say the Jets have themselves a top 10 offense this season.

The 2018 WR/TE corps of Robby, Q n Herndon was easily handled by defenses with a rookie QB playing volleyball with snaps from Center.

Add a very good Crowder in the slot, and one of the best multi-dimensional offensive weapons in Bell...  and defenses are screwed.

14 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Who are the 2 slot guys? 

I would consider Q as more of a hybrid receiver and I am not sold on Deontay Burnett yet or at all lol 

I'm no expert, but I like what Burnett has shown with limited opportunities. Don't forget he's even younger then Darnold,.. never understood why it took so long to get him on the field with all the issues we had at WR last year.

Obviously we have a new CS now, but I'm hoping they saw what a lot of us did at the end of last year and Burnett doesn't get lost in the new shuffle.

I'm drinking the same cool-aid as LBell. Hopefully this interview will go a long way to repair Gase's reputation.

That said, I find it funny that the same complaints Bell has about Tomlin, Landry said almost the same things about Gase.

In Landry's case (as well as Ajayi), it looks like Gase was right. Landry's production fell off some even with a superior QB. Who still complains after having 114 catches in a season? Landry did. Ajayi is still looking to sign with his third team in three years.

Time will tell but the fact that Le'veon is buying in early is a good sign. Can't wait to see what Gase has in store for him.

38 minutes ago, Maxman said:

+100  Ultimately as it with EVERY other offense in the NFL, success or failure is going to be measured by our QB's progress and his ability to read and react to defenses more than any other skill player we have on the field

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fournette, Howard, McCoy, Hunt and CJA did NOT have quality QB play in 2017. Bell had Big Ben who made you pay for stacking the box.

1. Bortles
  2. Rookie Trubisky/Glennon
  3.  Alex Smith ( MVP candidate after a 5-0 start to the year. But he hit a slump starting with the Pittsburgh Steelers in game six. He shied away from throwing deep, got away from the running game and the Chiefs lost 6 of 7 games at one point. During those game,s Smith had the ball in his hand with the chance to win the game 6 times and failed on every one of them )
  4. Siemen / Osweiler.

As I completely agree with you that Big Ben has a huge effect on Bell,

I don't think the comparisons between these quarterbacks and Darnold can be made. 

He is way more advanced and that is as a rookie, than any of those quarterbacks other than Trubisky who has a solid sophomore year. 

I don't think he will put up Big Ben numbers 67% completion , 5,129, 34 touchdowns / 16 interceptions

Maybe something like this isn't out of reach 

Darnold 62% completion, 4,2000, 28 touchdowns / 18 interceptions 

2018 : 57% completion, 2,865, 17 touch downs / 15 interceptions 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well that and if it's not working out its someone else's fault and hes going to pout

22 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

stack the box? play action. 

Defenses would rather not have to go to the eight in the box strategy because it takes away from the pass coverage. However, teams that run the ball effectively force defenses to go to this strategy. Once a defense does this, the offense can run play-action passes to keep the defenders near the line of scrimmage as the receivers (usually 1 or 2 since, often, heavy packages are in the game including tight ends in place of receivers) run by them and have an entire field to run away from a cornerback, putting the defensive backs at a disadvantage. This scheme can also work against the team that is covering the run. In a base defensive set, there are 3 levels of defenders; line, linebackers, and safeties. The safeties are there to keep runners from going all the way for the score. However, when one safety creeps down toward the line of scrimmage, that leaves only one high safety to make the tackle once the runner has broken the first line of defense.

Jets opponents next year

Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, New England Patriots , Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

So now lets talk about our opponents corner backs and who will absolutely shut down all of our #2 wide receivers and bell/herndon.

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

Marcus Mosher added,

Fournette - 49%

Howard - 43%

Ingram - 42%

McCoy - 36%

Gordon - 29%

Hunt - 24%

CJA - 22%

Bell - 20%

• Gurley - 17%

erson,

I think we brought Bell so that teams will be forced to stack the box early in the year and make Darnold's life easier with weapons line Anderson/Enunwa/Crowder/Herndon all getting single coverage and Bell escaping as an outlet. 

It will be up to Darnold to force teams out of those 8 man boxes. That is the point of this move. This isn't a team with a Josh Mccown at QB bringing in Bell on the hopes that we win with the running game. The hope/plan is that the combo of Bell/Darnold will be a potent 1/2 punch for the Jets. 

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Exactly, Fournette played with bortles who is awful. Howard played with garbage at QB and in a horrible offense in 2017, Hunt had Alex Smith who wasn't a threat to throw deep. Ingram was a unique example because Kamara was the dynamic RB for the Saints and when Ingram came in the teams were more willing to stack the box knowing that there was a greater likelihood of a running play being called. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

2 hours ago, stugotz81 said:

When I talked to the GM [Mike Maccagnan], he talked to me [and] we’re on the same level

Im interpreting it like this, Bell is saying, I am a better GM than this guy and Im not even a GM

I am excited about Bell, but to some degreeI feel that a lot of this stuff about "being better now than i was"  just seems like more of a dig to the Steelers than being about the new team he is one.

Kinda like a bad breakup where instead of being happy with whoever you end up with, you are holding on to more of the past and talking about how bad the person you left was.

Archived