Houston to the Colts

IndianaJet

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You guys are crazy 1st off the colts aren't a contender, thier team sucks and it's because luck has no help. Houston was probably not even offered a contract for obvious reasons ... Play, age etc. Let's not pretend Houston was their Messiah pass rusher...would have been nice sure but not some huge massive miss like say if we didn't sign the best off and def FA available.

I'm bummed but making up this story how Houston wanted to play on a winning team or contender...legit crazy.

Colts are garbage and just offered him more ?

Is this sarcasm?

Im not a huge Luck fan, hes good but I'm not sure he is an elite player.  That being said, they have the best Oline in football, a great 2nd year LB, malik hooker (if he can stay healthy), and add houston to the mix while also having 3 top 50 picks this year.  

They certainly dont suck

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Is this sarcasm?

Im not a huge Luck fan, hes good but I'm not sure he is an elite player.  That being said, they have the best Oline in football, a great 2nd year LB, malik hooker (if he can stay healthy), and add houston to the mix while also having 3 top 50 picks this year.  

They certainly dont suck

Luck is one of the best QBS in the NFL. He is more than good. Dude has guys like Chester Rodgers catching the ball from him this yr. 

No one knows what happened with Houston and people here are acting like we failed big time. Indy had a lot of money and they haven’t spent much of it. Houston would have been great but we shouldn’t be stupid about spending. We have the 3rd pick, If we don’t trade then we could add a real nice defensive gem.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Yeah wouldn't want Woody to spend to the cap for the first time in Macc's tenure. 

The money portion of my post was secondary to the injury issue, but I don't see forcing the spending of cap space when its not a good fit as a positive move. Especially when the money can be rolled over to next season. Admittedly I don't have full comprehension of the roll over though. 

I was more talking about this madness about a guy who hasn't played a full season since Rex was our coach.  That's  a long time.  I would have been fine with Houston. I actually like him as a player, but his injuries are perennial. I see no reason to invest the $15 mil for two years everyone is talking about to pry him from a win now org when we know he's more than likely not going to finish the season. He's a good fit for the Colts. Again, I would have been fine with it, but overall I'm happy he went away. 

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

God we really need Kyler to go #1 now. Can’t leave the draft without Allen or Bosa absolutely can’t 

Sure ya can.  I get wanting them and I would be ok with it, but a beefy trade back with a 1st next year would be optimal. 

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

No one knows what happened with Houston and people here are acting like we failed big time. Indy had a lot of money and they haven’t spent much of it. Houston would have been great but we shouldn’t be stupid about spending. We have the 3rd pick, If we don’t trade then we could add a real nice defensive gem.

Well said. I would have been fine with adding him, but Its more than ok that we didn't. Having money doesn't mean stuffing it anywhere you can.  It doesn't seem like the Jets had any legit interest, but like you said we don't know. Maybe the Jets brass are all crying today because their so sad about it. maybe they never even gave him a second glance. We don't know. Either way it's not indicative of sucking or being great. It's just not. 

33 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The money portion of my post was secondary to the injury issue, but I don't see forcing the spending of cap space when its not a good fit as a positive move. Especially when the money can be rolled over to next season. Admittedly I don't have full comprehension of the roll over though. 

I was more talking about this madness about a guy who hasn't played a full season since Rex was our coach.  That's  a long time.  I would have been fine with Houston. I actually like him as a player, but his injuries are perennial. I see no reason to invest the $15 mil for two years everyone is talking about to pry him from a win now org when we know he's more than likely not going to finish the season. He's a good fit for the Colts. Again, I would have been fine with it, but overall I'm happy he went away. 

It's a fair price for a player with his positives and negatives. Perfect is the enemy of the good.

Bad move not signing him,. I think Mac thought he would be there till after the draft, ,  Houston would have giving us options, trade down and taking Q Williams . Now you have no choice you have to take J Allen or hopefully Bosa.  Trade down makes no sense now,  you need one of the top two pass rushers in draft , not the second tier guys. Houston and q Williams would have been fine. We could have traded down and maybe still have gotten him.

It's a fair price for a player with his positives and negatives. Perfect is the enemy of the good.

While I don’t necessarily disagree, I’d say having the $15 mil next year may net a more appropriate player. Houston is just the best of what’s left.
When he was cut most were talking about grabbing him “for the right price”. I’d say $15 mil per was not really what we meant.

That said, I certainly do hear what you’re saying but I’m happy it’s over. He would have disappointed even more for us than he will for the colts. Houston dealing with the jets curse would have been the worst. I just know it.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I don’t necessarily disagree, I’d say having the $15 mil next year may net a more appropriate player. Houston is just the best of what’s left.
When he was cut most were talking about grabbing him “for the right price”. I’d say $15 mil per was not really what we meant.

That said, I certainly do hear what you’re saying but I’m happy it’s over. He would have disappointed even more for us than he will for the colts. Houston dealing with the jets curse would have been the worst. I just know it.

I also don't know exactly how the carryover works but we gotta be close to the limit of underspending. I didn't necessarily want Houston, but I want the draft flexibility that having a competent edge rusher already on roster provides.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

Right?  There are 30 other GMs out there competing with him.  You do not get to sign everybody you want even if you do have the money

Yeah there’s no way the jets could have offered way more than 2years $24 million

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

To someone who has no clue about the game or is a troll looking to stir the shlt.

Bell is 1000xs more important to Darnold than any player available.  Darnold is 10000xs more important than Houston.  

Bell wins or sets up wins.  Houston might play a full season.  Might

I liked the Bell signing because mainly the contract was reasonable but this isn’t 1997 running backs are nowhere near as important as pass rushers

Now I’ll let you get back to the homerism defending trash like Eric Smith and Tebow

On 3/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, Rsherman28 said:

Q Qilliams is a DT and will be playing the inside. We just gave Anderson 8 million a year to play DE with Williams

Bronson Kaufusi plays defensive end not line backer and couldn't even get on the field last year

Jordan Jenkins 7 sacks, and if we bring back Copeland 5 sacks would be playing outside linebacker (considering we draft Q at 3)

Inside linebacker we are elite, With drafting Williams we would be stacked on our line as well but we would still have one of the hardest positions to fill and edge rusher. 

That's why I almost always agree with drafting the best player available (Q.Williams) but this year I can't pass on the option to draft either Allen or Bosa and not have to worry about Saftey, Qb, or Pass Rush for the next 3 years. 

Expecting a lower-ranked player's recent - and by a wide margin, career best - sack totals, and performance in general, to become the new baseline for the following year (or the rest of his career) is a good way to end up with disappointment. 

Pure/blind BAP is a great way to end up with more players than you need at one position, forcing at least one of them to play out of position or forcing scheme onto a group that doesn't fit. It's ok for the later rounds where the talent level drops off, but that's it. Way up top you're taking a top talent at any position you're drafting, and we should be focused not just on need, but need at positions that either aren't available as FAs, are mega-expensive, require a trade for a day 1-2 pick followed by a mega-expensive deal (think $17-22MM/year), or are only available on the downslopes of their careers. Pure BAP is a strategy employed by someone who doesn't really believe in his own scouting ability, and probably with good reason, where even if the pick makes for poor team building - which ultimately is his charge - he can still sit back and proudly say he drafted this individual player well while the team has yet another losing season.

Edge rusher fills this need (as do other positions that are poor value up at #3 this year). If it's an inside guy who has the speed/versatility to play outside, fine, but there aren't more than 1 or 2 of them. QW probably doesn't have that speed to run around tackles, and neither does any other of our 300-pound DLmen on the roster either.  We'll end up with another team of talented but slower DT bodies who can't catch opposing QBs in crunch time (never mind more mobile ones, or those who complete passes quickly), where QBs can roll out and buy extra seconds with relative ease, and where most sacks they get should rightly be credited to the secondary. 

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Expecting a lower-ranked player's recent - and by a wide margin, career best - sack totals, and performance in general, to become the new baseline for the following year (or the rest of his career) is a good way to end up with disappointment. 

Pure/blind BAP is a great way to end up with more players than you need at one position, forcing at least one of them to play out of position or forcing scheme onto a group that doesn't fit. It's ok for the later rounds where the talent level drops off, but that's it. Way up top you're taking a top talent at any position you're drafting, so we should be focused not just on need, but need at positions that either aren't available as FAs, are mega-expensive, require a trade for a day 1-2 pick followed by a mega-expensive deal (think $17-22MM/year), or are only available on the downslopes of their careers. It's a strategy employed by someone who doesn't really believe in his own scouting ability, and probably with good reason, so even if the pick makes for poor team building - which ultimately is his charge - he can still sit back and proudly say he drafted this individual player well while the team has yet another losing season.

Edge rusher fills this need (as do other positions that are poor value up at #3 this year). If it's an inside guy who has the speed to play outside, fine, but there aren't more than 1 or 2 of them. QW probably doesn't have that speed to run around tackles, and neither does any other of our 300-pound DLmen on the roster either.  We'll end up with another team of talented but slower DT bodies who can't catch opposing QBs in crunch time (never mind more mobile ones, or those who complete passes quickly), where QBs can roll out and buy extra seconds with relative ease, and where most sacks they get should rightly be credited to the secondary. 

I do wonder though if Gregg Williams will have his say. He is supposed to be a big fan of mobile quicker DTs. And I don't think Q. Williams fits the bill. I think its Bosa, Allen or trade down at this point

On 3/22/2019 at 1:46 AM, jgb said:

I also don't know exactly how the carryover works but we gotta be close to the limit of underspending. I didn't necessarily want Houston, but I want the draft flexibility that having a competent edge rusher already on roster provides.

Sure. I can agree with that.  I want it too. The Jets did as well. They went for Barr and Smith. Tinkered with Houston and resigned Anderson at a nice rate.  We just can't get everything we want unfortunately. Sucks that the two positions I went in to FA wanting addressed are largely still where they were in large part. We did some great thins, but here we are. We still have the draft and the post draft cuts and we will hopefully address these things there. 

I agree totally with what you're saying. I just don't think Houston was the solution that would have fixed anything.  He would merely be another item for the Anti Macc list of bad signings. 

I wanted Houston, but based on this article it seems like his role is being changed ("restricted").
It seems IND will be using him as a situational 4-3 DE instead of a 3-4 OLB.  Has age/injury caught
up with him to where his reps have to be cut down?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023797/article/colts-sign-allpro-pass-rusher-justin-houston

The Indianapolis Colts entered the offseason with a need for a pass rusher, so general manager Chris Ballard addressed it with a player he knows well.

The Colts have signed outside linebacker Justin Houston, the team announced. The deal is worth $24 million over two years, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source.

Despite totaling nine sacks for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018, Houston found himself on the outside looking in with the Chiefs set to switch from a 3-4 base defense to a 4-3 scheme under new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

The Chiefs released Houston shortly before the start of free agency, and interestingly enough, he goes to a team that deploys a 4-3 base scheme.

Nevertheless, Houston projects as a defensive end in Indy, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, and the veteran pass rusher has the size to fit that role at 6-foot-3, 248 pounds.

Andrew Walker✔@AWalkerColts

Houston says he’ll be a defensive end in the Colts’ 4-3 (first time officially in that role in his career; played OLB at KC): “My job will be easier now than it has been in the past,” as a primary pass rusher, not really worrying about coverage responsibilities.

Ballard certainly understands what he's getting in Houston from their time together in Kansas City, where Ballard served on the player personnel staff from 2013 to 2016. So, this signing doesn't come without plenty of thought on how to utilize Houston's skill set to get after the opposing quarterback and help stop the run.

While Houston turned 30 in January and has dealt with nagging knee injuries in recent years, he has remained productive over the past two seasons with 18.5 total sacks in that span.

The Colts' defense totaled 39 sacks in 2018 to rank 19th in the league, and bringing in Houston's 78.5 career sacks to the mix should help Indianapolis add to the totals in 2019.

Additionally, the presence of Houston affords Ballard some flexibility in the upcoming NFL draft to use an early pick on another position of need.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I liked the Bell signing because mainly the contract was reasonable but this isn’t 1997 running backs are nowhere near as important as pass rushers

Now I’ll let you get back to the homerism defending trash like Eric Smith and Tebow

Pats in the last SB, the Rams troubles in the last SB all say that might not be as true as people keep saying.

And of course we're talking about a 21 year old FQBs development

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I do wonder though if Gregg Williams will have his say. He is supposed to be a big fan of mobile quicker DTs. And I don't think Q. Williams fits the bill. I think its Bosa, Allen or trade down at this point

Ed Oliver? Christian Wilkins?

16 hours ago, jack48 said:

I know I am tired of people blaming Macc for every player we do not sign.  How does anyone know what his level of involvement was?  Does anybody know wha t our scouts, coaches and other evaluators recommended?  People are just talking out of their assholes.  If i am committed to drafting a pass rusher, why do I go after Houston.  It is overkill, and it is overpayment.

You can never have enough pass rushers and in this scenario, Houston gives you the luxury of bringing said player along too instead of immediately throwing a rookie into action and expecting results.  

But the bottom line is, you can never have enough pass rushers and the Jets currently have zero.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It would suck to see the jets ignore pass rusher yet again and go into next season with Jenkins and some other JAG starting at OLB

But QW is so good it’s almost forgiveable

What would be unforgivable trash typical jets is a trade down and then they draft an ILB or Jonah who is basically an ok not great OT prospect

Just now, JiF said:

You can never have enough pass rushers and in this scenario, Houston gives you the luxury of bringing said player along too instead of immediately throwing a rookie into action and expecting results.  

But the bottom line is, you can never have enough pass rushers and the Jets currently have zero.

Jets have had zero edge rushers in 13 years

Brady and all other QBs have ALL DAY in the pocket against us

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I really don’t think the Jets are in on Q. Williams at all. Doesn’t fit the profile of what G. Williams likes in DTs and they didn’t even go to his pro day

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

And we haven't had one since John Abraham. 

Archived