Haskins Impresses Giants!! Strengthens Trade Up Options

32EBoozer

https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/pat-shurmurs-take-on-dwayne-haskins-pro-day-impressive-excellent/

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It looked — well, let the coach explain how it looked as Dwayne Haskins took the field Wednesday and threw the football in front of a hoard of NFL general managers, coaches and scouts:

“It looked natural,’’ Ohio State coach Ryan Day said. “It didn’t look forced. Sometimes when you watch a quarterback, it’s, ‘How is he going to throw?’ Dwayne threw the way Dwayne throws.’’

The way Dwayne throws is enticing enough to interest the Giants, who own the No. 6 selection in next month’s NFL draft, and certainly are considering making Haskins that pick and grooming him as Eli Manning’s successor.

The Giants brought a huge group of their most important eyes and ears to take in as much of Haskins as possible.

“He’s an impressive young man,’’ coach Pat Shurmur told The Post.

Shurmur and offensive coordinator Mike Shula were in attendance at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Among the others making the trip for the Giants were Chris Mara, senior vice president of player personnel; Kevin Abrams, vice president of football operations and assistant general manager; and Chris Pettit, director of college scouting.

General manager Dave Gettleman prefers to learn about the player via film study and will get to get some personal time with Haskins when he comes to the team facility as one of the Giants’ allotted 30 player pre-draft visits.

The Giants’ travel party arrived Tuesday evening and proceeded to spend quality time with Haskins, getting a grasp of his football acumen in the classroom then winding down with some socializing during dinner.

“It was excellent,’’ Shurmur said. “We obviously have spent a lot of time evaluating him, and this is one piece of it. We got the chance to work with him on the board and take him to dinner, and he certainly is an accomplished and impressive young man.’’

Haskins has noticed the Giants “definitely have shown interest.’’ He grew up in Highland Park, NJ, before his family moved to suburban Maryland.

“To be able to even be considered by New York, as a kid growing up as a fan, it just an extreme blessing,” Haskins said.

The Giants have the advantage of some special intel, as Shurmur and Day worked together in 2015 on Chip Kelly’s staff with the Eagles — Shurmur as the offensive coordinator, Day as the quarterbacks coach. Day ran the Ohio State offense this past season and takes over for Urban Meyer as the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2019.
Advertisement
“He’s been able to share a great deal with me about Dwayne,’’ Shurmur said of Day. “It’s all great stuff.’’

There is evidence of Haskins’ ability from his one record-breaking year as a starting quarterback at Ohio State. Shurmur, as a former quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, likes to get a sense of things by being in the building.

“Just watch him throw,’’ Shurmur said. “The important thing about Pro Days in general is you come to his school, you get to see how he interacts with his teammates, get to talk to the people that have worked with him.’’

No doubt Shurmur noticed how Haskins stopped the throwing session for a moment after receiver Parris Campbell came up gimpy after running a route, checking out how Campbell was feeling before returning to the drill.

Advertisement
Haskins, sweat accumulating on the front and back of his dry-fit jersey, put on display his powerhouse right arm and impressive physical presence. He rated his performance as “solid.’’ Of the 50 or so throws he made, there were two he missed on.

“It pisses me off,’’ Haskins said. “But I think I did pretty well.’’

Haskins threw from under center and also out of the shotgun, and at times was asked to get out of the pocket. His movement has been questioned by scouts, but he looked fluid and his arm can get the ball anywhere it needs to go.

He opted not to partake in the 40-yard dash after he clocked in a slow 5.04 last month at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and explained the poor time was the result of a leg cramp.

Haskins did not promote himself much at the combine, but perhaps being back on campus emboldened him some. Asked if he should be a top-five pick in the draft, Haskins said, “It’s up to the team that wants to pick me. I feel like I’m the best player in the draft.’’

Haskins seems at ease in the spotlight, though he does not give off any vibes that he enjoys being the center of all the attention. The quarterback of the Giants receives a ton of attention.

“Well, I’m a homebody, so that helps,’’ Haskins said. “New York media is New York media. I grew up around it, so it’s nothing different for me. Definitely being in the spotlight is something I’m used to, and I think I’ll handle it pretty well.’’

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I badly want a great edge rusher. however my 1st choice is still to trade back.  I just do not think bosa and allen are sure fire monsters.

I would much rather parlay that pick into the 4th best edge rusher plus a top notch center plus a legit looking wr pospect.  or even a center and a LT prospect.

As much as I look forward to having a solid prospect manning the Edge.... Bosa and Allen are prospects who have some warts.

Having 2 #1 picks a high 2nd and hopefully something next year allows us to maximize our talent. 

Mom on board with a trade down for OL[LT] and WR in 1st and Edge in 2nd

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I badly want a great edge rusher. however my 1st choice is still to trade back.  I just do not think bosa and allen are sure fire monsters.

I would much rather parlay that pick into the 4th best edge rusher plus a top notch center plus a legit looking wr pospect.  or even a center and a LT prospect.

I don’t see how this is even a difficult choice. We have many holes and need to trade down. We may not have the opportunity to but if we do, it’s a complete no brainer. 

4 minutes ago, DLJ said:

The Jets would be idiots to give the giants their face of the franchise. Let them ******* rot

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Haskins is not that good, if a trade makes us better then go for it.

I would literally trade with any team in the league, even div foes if i thought we were getting the better end of the deal.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree.  In the 2000 Draft Monster DE Courtney Brown went 1st overall.  John Abraham went 13th overall. Enough said.

The big hype isn't always the best player. I'd much rather a trade back . I'd rather two first and a second or a 2nd and an additional 1st next year..... and change than one of those guys. 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Disagree completely. We MUST trade down

I’m not passing on an elite level player at a position we haven’t been able to fill for a decade for an extra pick or two. Especially given Macs draft resume take the sure thing at 3 and lock down the defense. 

We have our FQB ..... I don’t fear the Giants.
Let the best team win. Losing picks will set them back a bit, along with Beckham being gone.

They’re already a steaming dumpster fire as is
Let gettleman continue to suck the lifeblood out of that franchise

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

if we can get #6 and 17 from the giants brian burns would be a fine alternative if the big 2 edge rushers are gone

Smoke job ? They must want Murray or... remember when bowles tried to say jets were considering 6 different players even after moving to 3 ? these HCs aren’t the brightest,  they are dumb enough to think they can fool people, but not dumb enough to show their hand 

36 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Let the deadskins give up the farm for him. The giants would’ve never traded with us last year for us to land our franchise Qb, we should return the favor.

41 minutes ago, DLJ said:

The Jets would be idiots to give the giants their face of the franchise. Let them ******* rot

I believe this level of animosity should only be reserved for New England.  I just don't get this "we're the Giants ugly step-brother inferiority complex" stuff.  

New England has kicked the crap out of the Jets for 20 years running now.  The Jets play the Giants once every 4 years... Snoopy Bowl not included. 

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I believe this level of animosity should only be reserved for New England.  I just don't get this "we're the Giants ugly step-brother inferiority complex" stuff.  

New England has kicked the crap out of the Jets for 20 years running now.  The Jets play the Giants a lousy once every 4 years... Snoopy Bowl not included. 

Youve never met a Giants fan, have you?

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Youve never met a Giants fan, have you?

Admittedly, not too many.   But the ones I have met were OK.

I live in Florida... More New England fans than anybody in the rest of the country can possibly imagine.  They are everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.  Every restaurant you go to.  Every grocery store.  Every stop light you're sitting at, some car has a decal or a Patriots license plate.  EVERYWHERE.

They are intolerable.

Maybe that's why all the fans of the other 31 down here are OK?  We all have something in common...  Hate New England...

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, Gettleman, after passing on Darnold and Rosen last year and paying Eli Manning this year, is gonna turn around and trade multiple firsts for a QB who would have been a late-second/third round prospect last year? 

That's the plan.

See trade, OBJ

He's one confused cowboy on tilt.

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The fact that division rivals might both be hot for the same guy is pretty exciting.

Nothing like a bidding war. The longer it goes the higher the price becomes. That's why Macc was smart and dealt with the Colts in mid March last year.

The problem here is that there is no logical reason for the Giants to be telling the media what they are really thinking one month before the draft. Of course, this applies to the other 31 teams in the league, as well. 

Nothing anyone associated with any of these teams says between now and draft day can be taken at face value. 

I would trade down with any team in the league with the exception of the Patriocheats.  Do the fans seriously think that the Jets front office would hesitate to trade with the Giants if it would help the team?  Ridiculous.  It's business.

I love the talent that will be available to us at the #3 pick.  Doesn't matter.  If the opportunity presents itself to trade down for three or more picks, you do it.  There's really no choice.

Archived