Haskins Impresses Giants!! Strengthens Trade Up Options

32EBoozer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if we can get #6 and 17 from the giants brian burns would be a fine alternative if the big 2 edge rushers are gone

6 could very well get us Allen anyway when it goes Murray, bosa, Haskins, Q.williams, White/Oliver. If not we go with sweat or gary(my pick to be the best of the bunch when it’s all said and done)
6 gives us a lot of flexibility if we still want to go D there.
We can take edge and the OL at 17.

Me?
I would consider edge at 6 only because of the crop this year but More likely Id go jawann Taylor or jonah at 6 and the best remaining C at 17 and get this OL thing figured out. You may even get Bradbury at 17.
Then use the second on WR or TE.

Edge can wait.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So, Gettleman, after passing on Darnold and Rosen last year and paying Eli Manning this year, is gonna turn around and trade multiple firsts for a QB who would have been a late-second/third round prospect last year? 

He paid Odell then traded him for #17 and a safety soooooo

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ironically, the scouts main knock on Haskins is the lack of athletecism while the main knock on Deshaun Watson and Lamar Alexander was that they were too athletic.  ...... Weird, huh?

No politics.

You mean Lamar Jackson. ?

I'll place my bet right now.

The Giants will not trade up.  They may trade for Josh Rosen with either their second pick in Round 1 from Cleveland (#17) or their 2nd round pick (#37).  If they don't trade for Rosen they could take Haskins but only if he falls to them at #6.  They're not moving up this year.  Gut feel.

Next year is expected to be another decent year for QBs in the Draft like 2018 was.  If the Giants don't acquire Rosen or Haskins this year then I think they're using their #6, #17 and #37 to acquire OLine, WR and Edge Rusher so that they have a decent complement of talent for 2020 when they go "All In" like the Jets did in 2018 for a QB.

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ironically, the scouts main knock on Haskins is the lack of athletecism while the main knock on Deshaun Watson and Lamar Alexander was that they were too athletic.  ...... Weird, huh?

Haskins looks like a legit pocket QB.  That seems to be his style.  Some people have a hard time recognizing him as that since it's not the "typical" connotation for an African American QB....but this dude looks like a passer, not a runner.  How good of a passer he is will be debatable but he's much more like Warren Moon than Randall Cunningham IMO.  If I were rating/ranking him in comparison to last year's QBs I'd probably have him around 3 or 4 and comparable to somebody like Josh Allen from Buffalo with a little less running ability.  Am I way off base?

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Haskins looks like a legit pocket QB.  That seems to be his style.  Some people have a hard time recognizing him as that since it's not the "typical" connotation for an African American QB....but this dude looks like a passer, not a runner.  How good of a passer he is will be debatable but he's much more like Warren Moon than Randall Cunningham IMO.  If I were rating/ranking him in comparison to last year's QBs I'd probably have him around 3 or 4 and comparable to somebody like Josh Allen from Buffalo with a little less running ability.  Am I way off base?

He's a better passer than Allen.

I would also have him 3rd or 4th. Definitely behind Darnold and Rosen, and most likely behind Mayfield too

20 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

He paid Odell then traded him for #17 and a safety soooooo

They also got a 3rd round pick in the deal, and unless you’re going to go all Tom Shane with the “safety” thing, Peppers is a 2017 1st round pick who played pretty damn well for Cleveland. Their fans were not happy he was traded.

BTW I hope most here realize the odds of the Giants trading up, especially with the Jets, are slim and none. If they want Haskins, they’ get him right where they are. Gettleman has never moved up in his career, and if he does it won’t be with us. 

5 minutes ago, King P said:

He's a better passer than Allen.

I would also have him 3rd or 4th. Definitely behind Darnold and Rosen, and most likely behind Mayfield too

Ok, gotta ask. What’s with the “most likely behind Mayfield too” thing? A record setting rookie season wasn’t enough for you? LOL

He was the first picked, and proved he deserved to be. Mayfield was so much better then the other rookie QBs last year it’s not even open to debate. He throws a better ball then Darnold, without question, and probably Rosen also.

The only knock on him coming out was his height, and the style of offense he played in college, and he allayed those concerns the minute he stepped on the field. He shouldn’t even be mentioned in these comparisons, much less questioned.

34 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, gotta ask. What’s with the “most likely behind Mayfield too” thing? A record setting rookie season wasn’t enough for you? LOL

He was the first picked, and proved he deserved to be. Mayfield was so much better then the other rookie QBs last year it’s not even open to debate. He throws a better ball then Darnold, without question, and probably Rosen also.

The only knock on him coming out was his height, and the style of offense he played in college, and he allayed those concerns the minute he stepped on the field. He shouldn’t even be mentioned in these comparisons, much less questioned.

Because I'm talking about them as prospects. Mayfield's performance on the field has no bearing in this.

Much like how Mahomes came in and lit up the league, winning the MVP in his essentially his 1st year as a pro. Yet you'd be hard pressed to find many people who graded him as a better prospect than Watson or even Trubisky coming out of college

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, Gettleman, after passing on Darnold and Rosen last year and paying Eli Manning this year, is gonna turn around and trade multiple firsts for a QB who would have been a late-second/third round prospect last year? 

Think of him of an older more senile Mike Maccagnan.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

After that 5 forty he's probably more comparable to Byron Leftwich.

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

And he was the best QB in the entire league over the last 1/4 of the season!

But yeah, the Mayfield too thing didnt sit right with me, either.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think black QBs are consistently slightly underrated. When a white QB is athletic it is a Plus. When a black one is, it's a negative because he's not really a QB. Teams talk of making black QBs change positions, but Tannehill was converted from WR to QB. Would that have happened if Tannehill was black.

Lamar Jackson has a great arm and was more accurate in college than Josh Allen. Yet scouts raved about Allen's athletic ability (less than Jackson's) as setting him apart. It's a travesty.

If a white kid had put up Haskins numbers playing in the big ten as a pocket passer, he'd be the consensus #1 pick.

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

They also got a 3rd round pick in the deal, and unless you’re going to go all Tom Shane with the “safety” thing, Peppers is a 2017 1st round pick who played pretty damn well for Cleveland. Their fans were not happy he was traded.

BTW I hope most here realize the odds of the Giants trading up, especially with the Jets, are slim and none. If they want Haskins, they’ get him right where they are. Gettleman has never moved up in his career, and if he does it won’t be with us. 

I hear you. The point was only that the Giants are doing things outside of the box. Paying Odell like they did and then trading him was way outside o that box. I would not say anything is outside of their potential. Gettleman is acting calm and quiet but he's poised to make some noise. The compensation was fine, especially when you look at Antonio Brown netting a 3rd and 5th. Age considered. 

The idea that has the Giant trading up for me is the Skins delight with Haskins. A lot can happen when Daniel Snyder likes the same guy you like and there is only 4 draft spots to make the choices. 

I actually like Peppers. 

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/pat-shurmurs-take-on-dwayne-haskins-pro-day-impressive-excellent/

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It looked — well, let the coach explain how it looked as Dwayne Haskins took the field Wednesday and threw the football in front of a hoard of NFL general managers, coaches and scouts:

“It looked natural,’’ Ohio State coach Ryan Day said. “It didn’t look forced. Sometimes when you watch a quarterback, it’s, ‘How is he going to throw?’ Dwayne threw the way Dwayne throws.’’

The way Dwayne throws is enticing enough to interest the Giants, who own the No. 6 selection in next month’s NFL draft, and certainly are considering making Haskins that pick and grooming him as Eli Manning’s successor.

The Giants brought a huge group of their most important eyes and ears to take in as much of Haskins as possible.

“He’s an impressive young man,’’ coach Pat Shurmur told The Post.

Shurmur and offensive coordinator Mike Shula were in attendance at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Among the others making the trip for the Giants were Chris Mara, senior vice president of player personnel; Kevin Abrams, vice president of football operations and assistant general manager; and Chris Pettit, director of college scouting.

General manager Dave Gettleman prefers to learn about the player via film study and will get to get some personal time with Haskins when he comes to the team facility as one of the Giants’ allotted 30 player pre-draft visits.

The Giants’ travel party arrived Tuesday evening and proceeded to spend quality time with Haskins, getting a grasp of his football acumen in the classroom then winding down with some socializing during dinner.

“It was excellent,’’ Shurmur said. “We obviously have spent a lot of time evaluating him, and this is one piece of it. We got the chance to work with him on the board and take him to dinner, and he certainly is an accomplished and impressive young man.’’

Haskins has noticed the Giants “definitely have shown interest.’’ He grew up in Highland Park, NJ, before his family moved to suburban Maryland.

“To be able to even be considered by New York, as a kid growing up as a fan, it just an extreme blessing,” Haskins said.

The Giants have the advantage of some special intel, as Shurmur and Day worked together in 2015 on Chip Kelly’s staff with the Eagles — Shurmur as the offensive coordinator, Day as the quarterbacks coach. Day ran the Ohio State offense this past season and takes over for Urban Meyer as the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2019.
Advertisement
“He’s been able to share a great deal with me about Dwayne,’’ Shurmur said of Day. “It’s all great stuff.’’

There is evidence of Haskins’ ability from his one record-breaking year as a starting quarterback at Ohio State. Shurmur, as a former quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, likes to get a sense of things by being in the building.

“Just watch him throw,’’ Shurmur said. “The important thing about Pro Days in general is you come to his school, you get to see how he interacts with his teammates, get to talk to the people that have worked with him.’’

No doubt Shurmur noticed how Haskins stopped the throwing session for a moment after receiver Parris Campbell came up gimpy after running a route, checking out how Campbell was feeling before returning to the drill.

Advertisement
Haskins, sweat accumulating on the front and back of his dry-fit jersey, put on display his powerhouse right arm and impressive physical presence. He rated his performance as “solid.’’ Of the 50 or so throws he made, there were two he missed on.

“It pisses me off,’’ Haskins said. “But I think I did pretty well.’’

Haskins threw from under center and also out of the shotgun, and at times was asked to get out of the pocket. His movement has been questioned by scouts, but he looked fluid and his arm can get the ball anywhere it needs to go.

He opted not to partake in the 40-yard dash after he clocked in a slow 5.04 last month at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and explained the poor time was the result of a leg cramp.

Haskins did not promote himself much at the combine, but perhaps being back on campus emboldened him some. Asked if he should be a top-five pick in the draft, Haskins said, “It’s up to the team that wants to pick me. I feel like I’m the best player in the draft.’’

Haskins seems at ease in the spotlight, though he does not give off any vibes that he enjoys being the center of all the attention. The quarterback of the Giants receives a ton of attention.

“Well, I’m a homebody, so that helps,’’ Haskins said. “New York media is New York media. I grew up around it, so it’s nothing different for me. Definitely being in the spotlight is something I’m used to, and I think I’ll handle it pretty well.’’

I do NOT want the giants to get this guy.  all the idiot giants fans in my life are already talking smack about how he is "so much better than Darnold" and that this will prove "what a brilliant move it was to pass on Darnold last year and take Saquon".  yeah like that was their plan all along?  please.  either way, I'd rather see someone like Oakland or TB get him before giants, or even someone else trade with us and take him and leave the giants in the dust.

giants fans never cease to amaze me:  it's like the sun rises every day because they told it to.....

I don't think the Giants will trade with us to get Haskins.  If I were them, I would hope for Q to fall to them at #6, take a WR at #17, suck this year and get your QB in 2020. 

I think Mac has something up his sleeve pre-draft.  I would be on the phone with the Seahawks trying to wrangle Frank Clark away from them perhaps for a 2020 #2 pick and a player.  Hey, he fleeced Seattle before (Sheldon trade).  Imagine Clark, Leo, Bosa/Allen, Adams, Moseley.  I believe he will make another bold move before the draft.  

If the Giants trade up for a Qb it will be for the second pick in the draft. (49ers).  The Giants will never give the Jet that much draft capital.( have to live with the fact the Jets got the better of them in a trade.

The Giants want the Qb bad enough they would get a deal done with 49ers.

theres a lot of buzz going around right now about haskins and the jets pick at 3.. theres a strong market building to move down, and teams are calling the jets with offers already.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens on draft night.  I dont believe you will see the jets trade down until after they're on the clock, but we'll see... If they get blown away with an offer they may move down earlier. 

22 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

If the Giants trade up for a Qb it will be for the second pick in the draft. (49ers).  The Giants will never give the Jet that much draft capital.( have to live with the fact the Jets got the better of them in a trade.

The Giants want the Qb bad enough they would get a deal done with 49ers.

That's a losers mentality.  If the Raiders wanted to get to #2 for a player, and offered Lynch #4 and #27 to move, do think Lynch won't do it because the Raiders might get the better of a trade? I doubt it, he's trying to do what is best for his team.

27 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Disagree. Needs of franchise QB > edge rusher

For the most part Mac has made 1 good draft pick outside of pick #6 and it's Herndon (not a Mac smear post I love what he's done this offseason and hes a trade wizard but his drafts have been awful lets be honest). People really want to give this guy more picks and pass on the 2 best edge rushers in the class? Sorry but Bosa/Allen addition has the potential to put this defensive unit among the best in the league we can't pass that up.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Where the guy would have been drafted in a different year is not that important.

I think the real question if the Giants want to get Eli's replacement this year is:  Do the Giants want Rosen or Haskins?

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I don't think the Giants will trade with us to get Haskins.  If I were them, I would hope for Q to fall to them at #6, take a WR at #17, suck this year and get your QB in 2020. 

I think Mac has something up his sleeve pre-draft.  I would be on the phone with the Seahawks trying to wrangle Frank Clark away from them perhaps for a 2020 #2 pick and a player.  Hey, he fleeced Seattle before (Sheldon trade).  Imagine Clark, Leo, Bosa/Allen, Adams, Moseley.  I believe he will make another bold move before the draft.  

Seattle has 6 players accounting for $72 m in cap space. Maybe they would be open to offering Clark for a 2nd round pick and player. They have $11m in cap space left... doesn't leave a lot of room for Draft picks and in-season signings.

Contracted Players

Player
(66 total)
Base Salary
(Guaranteed)
Bonuses Cap
Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Prorated Roster Workout Other
Russell Wilson $17,000,000 $8,286,766 $0 $0 $0 $25,286,766  
$8,286,766
$17,000,000
Frank Clark $17,128,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $17,128,000  
$0
$17,128,000
Bobby Wagner $10,500,000 $2,600,000 $1,000,000 $0 $0 $14,037,500  
$2,600,000
$11,437,500
Doug Baldwin $9,250,000 $3,143,750 $750,000 $0 $0 $13,143,750  
$6,287,500
$6,856,250
Kam Chancellor $10,000,000
$5,200,000
$2,500,000 $500,000 $0 $0 $12,500,000  
$10,200,000
$2,300,000
Duane Brown $8,000,000
$1,750,000
$2,000,000 $500,000 $0 $350,000 $10,850,000  
$7,750,000
$3,100,000

Much as I'd like to take the Giants to the cleaners, it's just not happening.  They can stay at 6 and get Lock, whose stock has been rising after his workout.  Like the Jets, the Giants have plenty of holes on both sides of the ball and are more than a QB away from being serious contenders. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That's a losers mentality.  If the Raiders wanted to get to #2 for a player, and offered Lynch #4 and #27 to move, do think Lynch won't do it because the Raiders might get the better of a trade? I doubt it, he's trying to do what is best for his team.

See the Jets offer for K Mack.   The Jets offer was better than the Bears offer for him.    The Raiders traded him to the Bears despite that.     Do you know the last time the Raiders , and 49ers pulled off a big trade between both teams.

Maybe when the Raiders move to Las Vegas it will be different, but now it's highly unlikely any big trade is made between both teams.     The Giants trade up for a Qb jmo it will be either at number 2( 49ers) or the Raiders. 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

See the Jets offer for K Mack.   The Jets offer was better than the Bears offer for him.    The Raiders traded him to the Bears despite that.     Do you know the last time the Raiders , and 49ers pulled off a big trade between both teams.

Maybe when the Raiders move to Las Vegas it will be different, but now it's highly unlikely any big trade is made between both teams.     The Giants trade up for a Qb jmo it will be either at number 2( 49ers) or the Raiders. 

The cost to the Giants to move to #2 vs. #3 is 400 value points according to the Draft trade value chart. That is an additional 2nd round pick! It will all come down to whether SF has identified a player (Bosa or Williams) as a must have player to take the next step in dethroning the Rams. SF could really stick it to the Giants. 

BTW.......Giants have 12 picks in this years draft.

Archived