Jump to content

4 players Jets could take in NFL Draft if they trade down


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Beats me. I can't pretend to know anything about him. But the numbers tend to be highly reliable, and they say he's worth it in the first.

They do, for sure. Especially in the pass rusher category.  That said, his "film" is awful.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm doing the calculations piecemeal, but so far Oliver and Gary are the only guys I've found who hit Waldo's Explosive Power number. Since we all know Maccagnan has neither the brains nor the balls to take Oliver at 3, trading down and getting Gary in the teens is probably our best bet.

Greedy is the value pick, along with an edge, center, and a 1st and 2nd round pick next year.

I'll take Sweat or Burns. Each of them has a good chance. We could take them both. 

That is the winning formula. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm doing the calculations piecemeal, but so far Oliver and Gary are the only guys I've found who hit Waldo's Explosive Power number. Since we all know Maccagnan has neither the brains nor the balls to take Oliver at 3, trading down and getting Gary in the teens is probably our best bet.

I was looking for these for this years class and unfortunately am just making assumptions based on jumps, 3cone and twitch. I'm too lazy to enter into SS myself but I'm not seeing either of these top 2 guys. Are you saving them online at all?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm doing the calculations piecemeal, but so far Oliver and Gary are the only guys I've found who hit Waldo's Explosive Power number. Since we all know Maccagnan has neither the brains nor the balls to take Oliver at 3, trading down and getting Gary in the teens is probably our best bet.

I’d openly weep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CTM said:

I was looking for these for this years class and unfortunately am just making assumptions based on jumps, 3cone and twitch. I'm too lazy to enter into SS myself but I'm not seeing either of these top 2 guys. Are you saving them online at all?

Yeah, I have a half-assed spreadsheet I'm keeping as I go.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Beats me. I can't pretend to know anything about him. But the numbers tend to be highly reliable, and they say he's worth it in the first.

TFL numbers were still pretty impressive with him. Thanks for giving the Waldo info hard to find a spreadsheet Type deal with the metrics especially ten yard split

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Orakpo?

Clay Matthews. (It doesn’t matter; I just wanted to do it to avenge all the times somebody posted a screenshot of Sid Luckman’s college stats as evidence that completion percentage doesn’t matter.) Gary might be terrible. I’ve seen him play maybe three times and I sure as sh*t don’t remember him. All I know is what the numbers say.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Clay Matthews. (It doesn’t matter; I just wanted to do it to avenge all the times somebody posted a screenshot of Sid Luckman’s college stats as evidence that completion percentage doesn’t matter.) Gary might be terrible. I’ve seen him play maybe three times and I sure as sh*t don’t remember him. All I know is what the numbers say.

Pete Carroll’s big regret was not starting Clay till his senior year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

lol....

Not one f'ing offensive player!!!!!!

Drafting Sam Darnold will end up being the saddest thing this franchise has ever done. We're literally going to draft a high potential QB, then squeeze him dry by putting the entire franchise on his back and provide him with nothing but big name defensive draft guys who will end up being mediocre or bust potential (with 1 pro bowler every 4-5 years) and providing Darnold with developmental offensive skillset players in the 3rd round and offensive linemen in the 4th or 5th round. 

Same thing we did with Sanchez and Smith.  Philosophy is the exact same. BUT, Nick Bosa is there, we gotta get him, just like we had to get Leo Williams, just like we had to get Darron Lee, just like we had to get Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, just like we had to get Pryor, just like we had to get Dee Milliner, just like we had to get Sheldon Richardson, just like we had to get Quinton Coples, just like we had to get Mo Wilkerson, just like we had to get Kyle Wilson. 

And every year, what's the #1 thing folks say that they're saying now? "This defensive guy is different". haha...sure he is. He's going to do wonders for our new QB. Protecting him and being a target all while rushing the QB and scoring touchdowns etc., etc. 

 

You know when this entire franchise changed and became winners? When they took two offensive linemen in the 1st round. 

That genius move did more for this team than any other defensive moves we made. Why? Because we were able to maximize the potential of whatever QB we had at the helm and we established a top 3-10 rushing attack. 

 

Stupid continuous moves like this literally decade after decade is why this franchise is losing respect by their own fans. 

Sometime you have to play the hand dealt. Look at the strengths of the draft class. Remember when Idzik took Amari to fill the TE need in a historic class of WR?

I don’t disagree, btw, but there is a certain pragmatis to it this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In case it matters, the author is a Gints fan/content supporter... dunno how he ended up writing about the Jets (I imagine that's akin to be on call and something everyone in the office has to take to turns at). 

IOW -- I think his sh*tty selections were intentional.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Sometime you have to play the hand dealt. Look at the strengths of the draft class. Remember when Idzik took Amari to fill the TE need in a historic class of WR?

I don’t disagree, btw, but there is a certain pragmatis to it this year.

I agree, and we were dealt Sam Darnold.

The strength of the draft class is defense every year if you let the Jets front office tell it. 

Darnold is too important. If folks who are getting paid 6, 7 and 8 figure salaries cant find the good offensive talent in any draft class then they shouldnt be here. 

Sometimes you can lose with a great hand simply by playing it poorly. You can't blame the results on simply having no choice but to play the cards you were dealt. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the Jets trade out of 3 and still draft defense, I am holding all of you responsible for it and will personally be ripping kimuras and kneebars on you ****ers one by one.

 

DE1B1D53-0283-45F6-9808-FB90F9A39B7F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm doing the calculations piecemeal, but so far Oliver and Gary are the only guys I've found who hit Waldo's Explosive Power number. Since we all know Maccagnan has neither the brains nor the balls to take Oliver at 3, trading down and getting Gary in the teens is probably our best bet.

How did Sweat not hit those elite numbers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RobR said:

How did Sweat not hit those elite numbers?

Full disclosure: I’m no kind of expert on this. I’m cribbing the formulas from a guy from Footballsfuture who called himself Waldo.  His two numbers are Explosive Power and Twitch. The former is basically broad jump and vertical pegged to height/weight, and the latter is an adjusted short shuttle and 10-yard split, plus a three-cone threshold.

As for Sweat, it looks like his jumps were meh for his size and his 10-yard split and three-cone were good but not great. The one thing he did at an elite level was the 40, which doesn’t mean much.

The formulas are here, btw: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Full disclosure: I’m no kind of expert on this. I’m cribbing the formulas from a guy from Footballsfuture who called himself Waldo.  His two numbers are Explosive Power and Twitch. The former is basically broad jump and vertical pegged to height/weight, and the latter is an adjusted short shuttle and 10-yard split, plus a three-cone threshold.

As for Sweat, it looks like his jumps were meh for his size and his 10-yard split and three-cone were good but not great. The one thing he did at an elite level was the 40, which doesn’t mean much.

The formulas are here, btw: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

word but it's interesting how pSparq rates him so high (Sweat). I've never gone back and looked to see how that works over time, although pSparq was high on Mack and Waldo rates him a mid /lo due to 3 cone.  It rates Bosa as mid/lo too, but Sparq is also middling on Bosa which I'm thinking is double damning. Mack also just missed the explosive power number whereas Bosa is pretty far off

Interesting thing about twitch is that the formula penalizes you for a fast 10 split, which seems counter intuitive.  I think it relies heavily on the 3 cone gate keep for efficacy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 11:53 AM, Villain The Foe said:

lol....

Not one f'ing offensive player!!!!!!

Drafting Sam Darnold will end up being the saddest thing this franchise has ever done. We're literally going to draft a high potential QB, then squeeze him dry by putting the entire franchise on his back and provide him with nothing but big name defensive draft guys who will end up being mediocre or bust potential (with 1 pro bowler every 4-5 years) and providing Darnold with developmental offensive skillset players in the 3rd round and offensive linemen in the 4th or 5th round. 

Same thing we did with Sanchez and Smith.  Philosophy is the exact same. BUT, Nick Bosa is there, we gotta get him, just like we had to get Leo Williams, just like we had to get Darron Lee, just like we had to get Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, just like we had to get Pryor, just like we had to get Dee Milliner, just like we had to get Sheldon Richardson, just like we had to get Quinton Coples, just like we had to get Mo Wilkerson, just like we had to get Kyle Wilson. 

And every year, what's the #1 thing folks say that they're saying now? "This defensive guy is different". haha...sure he is. He's going to do wonders for our new QB. Protecting him and being a target all while rushing the QB and scoring touchdowns etc., etc. 

 

You know when this entire franchise changed and became winners? When they took two offensive linemen in the 1st round. 

That genius move did more for this team than any other defensive moves we made. Why? Because we were able to maximize the potential of whatever QB we had at the helm and we established a top 3-10 rushing attack. 

 

Stupid continuous moves like this literally decade after decade is why this franchise is losing respect by their own fans. 

yep.  there are probably a couple of tackles who can justify a 15-20 pick.  of course this list also means the jets will have additional picks either in the first or second rounds so it's possible that's where they'll find the offensive players.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 12:38 PM, Jetfan13 said:

If they trade down with the Dolphins and let them get their QB of the future, HEADS SHOULD ROLL IN OUR FO.

Hey we took O'Brien and helped the Fins get their QB of the future before..LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 11:53 AM, Villain The Foe said:

lol....

Not one f'ing offensive player!!!!!!

Drafting Sam Darnold will end up being the saddest thing this franchise has ever done. We're literally going to draft a high potential QB, then squeeze him dry by putting the entire franchise on his back and provide him with nothing but big name defensive draft guys who will end up being mediocre or bust potential (with 1 pro bowler every 4-5 years) and providing Darnold with developmental offensive skillset players in the 3rd round and offensive linemen in the 4th or 5th round. 

Same thing we did with Sanchez and Smith.  Philosophy is the exact same. BUT, Nick Bosa is there, we gotta get him, just like we had to get Leo Williams, just like we had to get Darron Lee, just like we had to get Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, just like we had to get Pryor, just like we had to get Dee Milliner, just like we had to get Sheldon Richardson, just like we had to get Quinton Coples, just like we had to get Mo Wilkerson, just like we had to get Kyle Wilson. 

And every year, what's the #1 thing folks say that they're saying now? "This defensive guy is different". haha...sure he is. He's going to do wonders for our new QB. Protecting him and being a target all while rushing the QB and scoring touchdowns etc., etc. 

 

You know when this entire franchise changed and became winners? When they took two offensive linemen in the 1st round. 

That genius move did more for this team than any other defensive moves we made. Why? Because we were able to maximize the potential of whatever QB we had at the helm and we established a top 3-10 rushing attack. 

 

Stupid continuous moves like this literally decade after decade is why this franchise is losing respect by their own fans. 

An edge rusher with the 3rd pick is extremely appealing. We haven’t had one since Abraham. Let that sink into your head. But I totally agree that Sam needs to be protected so Macc must fortify the OL with those two 3rd rounders. In fact, find some way to trade a couple players and use some later picks to move up into the 2nd round and get another OL. Edge, C, T, G would be an outstanding draft in building up this franchise. Use Leo, Lee, Winters as trade bait. IMO, they’re expendable and could give us valuable positioning to move up and get extra picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

An edge rusher with the 3rd pick is extremely appealing. We haven’t had one since Abraham. Let that sink into your head. But I totally agree that Sam needs to be protected so Macc must fortify the OL with those two 3rd rounders. In fact, find some way to trade a couple players and use some later picks to move up into the 2nd round and get another OL. Edge, C, T, G would be an outstanding draft in building up this franchise. Use Leo, Lee, Winters as trade bait. IMO, they’re expendable and could give us valuable positioning to move up and get extra picks. 

You've given me an idea for a new topic. 

Here's my answer: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...