THE TIME IS NOW FOR THE '18 QB CLASS

14 in Green

I saw something the other day that surprised me. EVERY  rookie QB taken in the top 10 of the 2015 and 16 drafts made the playoffs by their second year. If this is true, it shows the old model of a rookie QB needing more then two years to blossom into a franchise QB is no longer valid. Sure most hit some bumps in the road during their first year, but the good ones figure it out by their second season. Their honeymoon phase is over, its time for them to put on their "big boy" pants and step up.

The class of '18 will be interesting to watch, for Jets fans especially because Darnold is in the group. His class was the highest rated in years, and for the most part everyone of them showed their potential in the '18 season. There were 4 of them selected in the top 10 though and the fact that three are in the AFC will make it hard, but certainly not impossible for them all to make the playoffs this year. Here's how I think it looks for each.

Mayfield: He had the best season of any last year, and Dorsey has done such a great job in Cleveland building a roster that can go deep into the playoffs during his rookie contract. If the Browns don't make the playoffs this year, they will be bitterly disappointed.

Darnold and Allen: they both had comparable rookie years, struggled early, got injured, but both came back and finished the season strong. Both teams should be better this year, the Jets have given Darnold the skill players he needs to flourish. The Bills have revamped their OL, and feel Allen will now have the protection and time needed to take the next step. Both QBs are beloved by their fan base, and I'd be surprised if either didn't have a really good second season. It will be hard for both to make the playoffs though. Both are in the same division as New England, and we know what that entails.

Rosen: He's the wild card, obviously. He didn't have a good rookie year, but I don't think he ever had a chance to in Arizona. We have no idea where he'll play next year. He could stay and put up great numbers in KKs system, or be traded to any one of maybe 5-10 teams. We just don't know.

What do you think? Who'll make the playoffs, who won't? Is it important that they do, or are you ok with another "year of learning?"

@14 in Green

I didn’t want to quote the long post. I honestly think that only Mayfield has a shot at making the playoffs but that’s more do to his supporting cast. 

I like Darnold and his upside better than Baker but do not like the state of our roster or fact that the Pats are in our division. I’m happy with our offseason moves but FA wasn’t going to be enough no matter what and we still have sh*t for brains drafting. 

I’d like to see quality coaching that can outperform the lack of talent on this roster and a QB that can elevate the whole offense before I see playoffs in the Jet’s future. Given where our roster was at the beginning of the offseason, we had no realistic shot this year and should be gearing up for 2020 with no more excuses. 

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I saw something the other day that surprised me. EVERY  rookie QB taken in the top 10 of the 2015 and 16 drafts made the playoffs by their second year.

First off, that's only 4 QBs. Not a big sample size.

Either way, Jameis was drafted #1 overall in 2015. He has never made the playoffs and was benched last year (for a stretch) for Fitzpatrick. 

Mariota made the playoffs once but he has been pretty bad as a QB. 

Wentz has never played a playoff game (due to injury). 

Goff has gotten better, but I am still not super impressed. 

I rather Darnold have a better career than these guys as opposed to worrying about him making the playoffs in year 2 like Mariota managed to do thanks to a good supporting cast.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Either way, Jameis was drafted #1 overall in 2015. He has never made the playoffs and was benched last year (for a stretch) for Fitzpatrick. 

I rather Darnold have a better career than these guys as opposed to worrying about him making the playoffs in year 2 like Mariota managed to do thanks to a good supporting cast.

Good catch with Winston. The post I read about the classes making the playoffs was confusing in its wording. I was too lazy to check, but perhaps it was referring to the '16 class only. I think the point of it was the "teams" that picked QBs so high in the 1st round actually no longer have to go through a long learning period for their QB, which would hold them back from making the playoffs. 

It' funny you brought up the 2015 and 2016 drafts. 

2015: Winston, Mariota

2016: Wentz, Goff 

3 of the 4 QBs on this list are borderline washed up. Wentz will be the eagles starter but has mostly been hurt. Mariota and Winston have struggled and are still starters purely b/c of how high they were drafted. Goff is the only outlier. And he's a good QB but was also surrounded by an enormous amount of talent and was absolutely awful when it mattered most- in the SB. 

But I think all 4 QBs- Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Mayfield will have good seasons and NONE will make the playoffs. I give Mayfield a slight edge over Darnold if we had to pick someone. 

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I saw something the other day that surprised me. EVERY  rookie QB taken in the top 10 of the 2015 and 16 drafts made the playoffs by their second year. If this is true, it shows the old model of a rookie QB needing more then two years to blossom into a franchise QB is no longer valid. Sure most hit some bumps in the road during their first year, but the good ones figure it out by their second season. Their honeymoon phase is over, its time for them to put on their "big boy" pants and step up.

The class of '18 will be interesting to watch, for Jets fans especially because Darnold is in the group. His class was the highest rated in years, and for the most part everyone of them showed their potential in the '18 season. There were 4 of them selected in the top 10 though and the fact that three are in the AFC will make it hard, but certainly not impossible for them all to make the playoffs this year. Here's how I think it looks for each.

Mayfield: He had the best season of any last year, and Dorsey has done such a great job in Cleveland building a roster that can go deep into the playoffs during his rookie contract. If the Browns don't make the playoffs this year, they will be bitterly disappointed.

Darnold and Allen: they both had comparable rookie years, struggled early, got injured, but both came back and finished the season strong. Both teams should be better this year, the Jets have given Darnold the skill players he needs to flourish. The Bills have revamped their OL, and feel Allen will now have the protection and time needed to take the next step. Both QBs are beloved by their fan base, and I'd be surprised if either didn't have a really good second season. It will be hard for both to make the playoffs though. Both are in the same division as New England, and we know what that entails.

Rosen: He's the wild card, obviously. He didn't have a good rookie year, but I don't think he ever had a chance to in Arizona. We have no idea where he'll play next year. He could stay and put up great numbers in KKs system, or be traded to any one of maybe 5-10 teams. We just don't know.

What do you think? Who'll make the playoffs, who won't? Is it important that they do, or are you ok with another "year of learning?"

I just don't see it.  forget baker and rosen.  In order for this to happen, Brady either has to retire, get a season-ending injury, Belicheck visits Florida with Kraft, or BOTH Jets and Bills have to be the 2 wild cards???  I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

3 of the 4 QBs on this list are borderline washed up. Wentz will be the eagles starter but has mostly been hurt. Mariota and Winston have struggled and are still starters purely b/c of how high they were drafted. Goff is the only outlier. And he's a good QB but was also surrounded by an enormous amount of talent and was absolutely awful when it mattered most- in the SB. 

But I think all 4 QBs- Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Mayfield will have good seasons and NONE will make the playoffs. I give Mayfield a slight edge over Darnold if we had to pick someone. 

I'd disagree with the Browns not making the playoffs. 

What I also think shouldn't get lost here, as you and @JoJoTownsell1 bring up other QBs is that by the end of their second season, you know what they are.

The jump, if there is going to be one, comes in their second season now. By next January, I think we'll know all there is to know about the 2018 crop.

This is a good one.

I think we can make it in as a wild card because I think the steelers, baltimore and san diego will take a step back. I think the pats will struggle a bit but still take the east and we will sneak in at 10-6. The film the league has on Darnold in last years offense I dont think will help as much because we will run a different system this year, we have better play makers and frankly all of our offensive people didnt play together a lot last year due to injuries. There wasnt a lot of time to gel and there was a rookie leading the charge, all will improve this year. Darnold struggled a lot in the begining of the year despite all the flowers up his ass people were shoving but those last few games it was like the kid was a beast. I swear I cant remember watching a QB play for us that I said to myself ok we got the ball now, watch how we score. Truly a different QB, and I think he is gonna light it up. Plus I dont think our defense can be much worse than it was last year with Todd. Frankly, I dont see how we cant be better.

I still have zero faith in Josh Allen, he is big, strong, athletic and fast. The kid is all enthusiasm and is a good leader. I just dont think he will be able to play the position at a high enough level in his second year to make them a serious threat. He needs to be a little more accurate and while his mobility is a big plus he has to get better in the pocket. He wont be able to outrun or jump over everyone for very long and the League has a year of film on him in that same offense now. Their running game will be a beast with slim shady, frank gore and chris ivory. They are all getting older but splitting the load will help when they start to break down as older players inevitably will. The 3 of them together make up 1 pretty good back but the kid will need more time.

Mayfield has a squad. He BETTER make the playoffs or that fan base will lose their nut. They are already screaming super bowl but I personally have no faith in the coach. He was only a OC for 8 games and that was the first time in in his whole career I believe. He was never an OC before and was never a head coach in the league. I think he will get out coached and lose a few games because of inexperience, clock mismanagement, etc...i.e. there is a learning curve in every job and I think he has his hands full. He is managing a lot of very strong personalities and well....lets see how it goes. I wouldnt be surprised if the Browns dont make it to the playoffs but it wont be because of Mayfield, it will be because of the coach. 

Josh Rosen- I still think the kid has the goods, he was a deer in headlights a bit last year, wasnt able to get through his reads quick enough and that fallacy of him being the most pro ready was exposed. On the other hand I live in AZ and was able to see first hand what he was working with and the Cards did him no favors. I think by the end of the season they were starting all rookies on the Oline, the coach was on the way out, the OC had been fired, it was just a mess. I think he will definitely get traded possibly to the Giants, Redskins or Miami. I am personally rooting for Miami so we can have three young QB's in the same division developing and competing right at the time that Brady's skills diminish. I'd love to see them ride the basement floor of the division for the next ten years when Beli retires and they hire Josh McDaniels to be the HC. Oh glory day!! That being said I think ultimately he will go to Washington or the jints. He is a cheaper acquisition for the jints than a trade up for Haskins will be, it would be a media coup to have Rosen and Barkley playing together for the next 5 years, the GM will look like a genius. He has been made to look like a fool without a plan and I think he will try to pull this off and steal some spotlight from the Jets. I think Rosen needs a chance to sit behind Eli for 8 games then take over, he can win here in NY and they will love him. If he goes to the Redskins then he will not make the playoffs, they suck, the HC sucks, I dont even know how he has a job and I have less than zero faith in the ownership's ability to build a winner. 

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Good points but Winston was an overrated boob. He mental make up is weak and he is too focused on crab legs to make the playoffs. Not to mention the coaching...it wasnt spectacular down there. 

I think now and then that Mariota was overrated but you make a good point. 

Geoff? Agreed, I'm not impressed, his supporting cast played as much of a role as ours did when we had "The Sanchize"

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Disagree on Wentz,,he is not even close to washed up. He is the eagles QB and has looked great when playing. He has had some bad luck with the injury bug but unless that continues he will be there for 10 years and they will win with him at the position. 

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Thanks, was thinking the same thing. 

Plus I could care less really, do we want an RGIII who makes the playoffs and then becomes a backup? Prescott, made the playoffs and now is playing for a second contract.  Which isn't a given

I would agree with Mayfield and the Browns- however now they do have the burden of expectations. They also acquired a guy who has been a royal pain in the ass in OBJ. On the other hand I would suspect it will pay dividends early on. Add all this up.......... probably a playoff team.

Allen and the Bills. Honestly- I didn't watch a lot of Allen last year. He missed the game where an alsoran 5th stringer kicked our asses. He did show a monster ability of making things happen with his legs in the game he did play VS us in the game Sam orchestrated the nice come from behind win. And from what I followed this was the theme of his season last year. Still I don't see the Bills as having enough fire power to make a playoff run. I will be interested to watch and see how Allen progresses in year two.

As for Rosen. We all heard he stunk. I only watched one game- and yes- he stunk. Badly. Not sure where he'll play next. I still for some reason think we haven't heard the last of him though. Especially if he winds up at the right place at the right time.

As for Darnold and our beloved Jets... Admittedly there was a time I was a little concerned when I watched him play last year. I also promised myself before the year started not to get to overly excited by when he played well. Just as I wouldn't go climb a clock tower when he stunk up the joint. In my opinion we got more or less what I expected. A little of both. The encouraging thing is he was playing by far his best ball at the end when he came back from the "injury" ( which BTW was a half truth as we all know). One of the only smart things our organization has ever done by letting him sit out much longer than he actually needed. They put him back on the field at the appropriate time on this one.

I think we have done some nice things in free agency. ( I'm on record as not wanting Bell) (Sorry. ) but now that he is here- I will root for the laundry as they say and hope he has a monster year. I personally would've liked the FO to put more of a premium on fixing the o-line- I don't need to tell any of you how bad that group was last year. My hope is they are not done with the line yet and they add more through the draft or by a late unexpected cut by someone in training camp.

Cant wait to see what Gregg Williams has in store for the Defense. Depending  on what kind of haul we can get for the 3...... that will determine whether we stay put and draft our pass rusher. ( Quinnen Williams seems like the " safest" pick )if he is there.  Either way I definitely think the defense will play much better than last year.

Overall..... not sure this all adds up to the Post season or not. At least it should be far more entertaining than in years past. If we don't make it I certainly do not think it will be the fault of Sam Darnold.

Making the playoffs isn't really the standard. We just need Darnold to make a statistical leap.

Pretty much every QB in the last 10 years who ended up being good made a big leap between their rookie and sophomore seasons. Darnold (who finished strong) should be no exception, especially as we continue to add pieces on offense.

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Good catch with Winston. The post I read about the classes making the playoffs was confusing in its wording. I was too lazy to check, but perhaps it was referring to the '16 class only. I think the point of it was the "teams" that picked QBs so high in the 1st round actually no longer have to go through a long learning period for their QB, which would hold them back from making the playoffs. 

The jump from college to the pros has been simplified for these QBS.  Rather than having them learn to play in an NFL style offense, the coordinators and QB coaches have built their playbooks and offensive schemes around these players; playing to their strengths and covering up their weaknesses.  It used to be where QBs had to learn the system and then get to play.  Now it's draft the QB, then bring in the coach that will make the player look good, not necessarily develop well.  That is why some of QBs look good for a year or two (see RGIII, Dak, etc) and cannot make the next step.

Here are the 2015/2016 QB coaches during their short careers:

Winston: Lovie Smtih (Fired after one year with Winston), Dirk Koetter and now Bruce Arians.  Went from a defensive-minded coach and searching for the offensive coach to take their QB to the next level.

Mariota: Ken Whisenhunt (Fired after one year with Mariota), Mike Mularky, Mike Vrabel.  Went from offensive minded coaching to defense. This one is confusing.

Wentz: Doug Pederson - Pederson changes his offense to fit his QB (see Foles success).  Pederson drafted Wentz and has groomed him to the best of his ability but injuries have really slowed his progress.

Goff: Jeff Fisher (Fired after almost one year with Goff), Sean McVay.  Switch from defense to an offensive-minded coach.  Another coach that can tailor an offense to their QB.

Jets: Draft Darnold, fire their defensive-minded coach, bring in an offensive coach to tailor the offense around their franchise QB.  Just hope they continue to develop Darnold for the future and not just build a scheme around him that makes him look good.

Everyone is fixating on the "Winston" class. What about the '16 class of Mahomes, Trubisky, and Watson? Every one of them was in the playoffs in their second season.

Again, it seems these QBs become what they will be by the end of their 2nd year.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thanks, was thinking the same thing. 

Plus I could care less really, do we want an RGIII who makes the playoffs and then becomes a backup? Prescott, made the playoffs and now is playing for a second contract.  Which isn't a given

Yup. I want to see Darnold have a good year. Making the playoffs or not isn't the litmus test. Plenty of bad QBs make the playoffs. 

Oh FFS, this is just @14 in Green's continuing setup for more of his passive-aggressive "Sam Darnold sucks and you're all stupid homers" campaign next year if the Jets don't make the playoffs, irrespective of any context or other roster issues. 

Probably followed by an out of place defense of the Giants here and there. 

Yeah, we hope Darnold turns out JUST LIKE Mariota and Jameis...lol

Serious responses or rebuttles not necessary. 

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Everyone is fixating on the "Winston" class. What about the '16 class of Mahomes, Trubisky, and Watson? Every one of them was in the playoffs in their second season.

Again, it seems these QBs become what they will be by the end of their 2nd year.

The '16 class also had very good supporting cast, which made a big difference. When comparing QB's you have to account the teams they play on. Example: Ravens won more games than Jets, but that doesn't make Jackson a better QB  than Darnold. 

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh FFS, this is just @14 in Green's continuing setup for more of his passive-aggressive "Sam Darnold sucks and you're all stupid homers" campaign next year if the Jets don't make the playoffs, irrespective of any context or other roster issues. 

Probably followed by an out of place defense of the Giants here and there. 

Yeah, we hope Darnold turns out JUST LIKE Mariota and Jameis...lol

Serious responses or rebuttles not necessary. 

I didn't realize you're now in charge of editing threads and deciding if they should be responded to or not, but I guess you feel you have.. Congratulations!

Actually this should have nothing to do with any single QB, especially Mariota and Winston. I'm talking about the classes of Wentz, Goff, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, and how the higher rated class of '18 will compare. But as one of the head Darnold slurpers, you want to make it about what you've concluded is a perceived dis of Darnold. Ok Sherlock. 

Despite your supposed insight into my psyche, I'm not trying to "set up" Darnold. What I am bringing up is the trend that these QBs drafted in the top 10 are making big leaps forward in their second year. It would also seem by the end of their second year you will know just about what you've got in your QB.

Don't go off on a tantrum because I don't fellate Darnold the way you and a lot of others do. I want him to succeed as much as you do. I've told you that so many times I can't remember, but you won't believe it until I go full nico over him.

Finally, the playoff thing is an interesting oddity, but obviously not the only barometer, nor the best one. If Darnold has a season something like 30 TDs 3700yds passing and the Jets go 7-9 or 8-8, I'd think he's shown what he needed to show. I'd give him the credit he deserves, and you'll be happy, because you won't have to get yourself all wound up about any perceived failure to exalt your prince.

3 hours ago, Budjet said:

The '16 class also had very good supporting cast, which made a big difference. When comparing QB's you have to account the teams they play on. Example: Ravens won more games than Jets, but that doesn't make Jackson a better QB  than Darnold. 

Agreed.

I wanted this thread to be about all the '18 QBs taken in the top 10, not just Darnold, but we're Jets fans, and most of you have morphed this into a "Darnold thing" We even have @Jet_Engine1 doing a Inspector Clouseau thing about a "secret motive" on my part, LOL;

If Darnold has a really good year statistically, and passes a reasoned person's eye test, that would mean way more then him being carried to the playoffs in a "Sanchez" way.

To me though, this is about ALL of them either taking that big next step or not.

53 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I didn't realize you're now in charge of editing threads and deciding if they should be responded to or not, but I guess you feel you have.. Congratulations!

Actually this should have nothing to do with any single QB, especially Mariota and Winston. I'm talking about the classes of Wentz, Goff, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, and how the higher rated class of '18 will compare. But as one of the head Darnold slurpers, you want to make it about what you've concluded is a perceived dis of Darnold. Ok Sherlock. 

Despite your supposed insight into my psyche, I'm not trying to "set up" Darnold. What I am bringing up is the trend that these QBs drafted in the top 10 are making big leaps forward in their second year. It would also seem by the end of their second year you will know just about what you've got in your QB.

Don't go off on a tantrum because I don't fellate Darnold the way you and a lot of others do. I want him to succeed as much as you do. I've told you that so many times I can't remember, but you won't believe it until I go full nico over him.

Finally, the playoff thing is an interesting oddity, but obviously not the only barometer, nor the best one. If Darnold has a season something like 30 TDs 3700yds passing and the Jets go 7-9 or 8-8, I'd think he's shown what he needed to show. I'd give him the credit he deserves, and you'll be happy, because you won't have to get yourself all wound up about any perceived failure to exalt your prince.

Examples, please. Oh, there aren't any, because you're totally full of sh*t. I like the kid, Im super optomistic about him. But I also comprehend the sh*t roster he played (plays?) with, the handicap at HC and OC he had last year, and the fact that he's 21 years old.

Context. 

And, uh, you're the emotional, "wound up" one having a tantrum, champ. Stop being a ******* baby. You're setting up a stupid false narrative and then having a hissy fit becsuse someone called you on it. 

Ahh, never mind, tell us all how smart the Giants are, how Baker has MOXIE,  and how overrated Darnold is by JETS FANS again. That's the best!

this thread has no point, 4 qb's in total and 1 of whom violates your trend does not make for a pattern. ( based on posts above, i didn't research)

Mayfield is better than Darnold today, any non homer get that.. seems like an excuse to dig into that wound. Which I totally support as good fun but you butt fumbled on missing winston and not clarifying sample size. It's easy enough to rile the Darnold butt sniffers without resorting to falsehoods

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Examples, please. Oh, there aren't any, because you're totally full of sh*t. 

And, uh, you're the emotional, "wound up" one having a tantrum, champ. Stop being a ******* baby. You're setting up a stupid false narrative and then having a hissy fit becsuse someone called you on it. 

Ahh, never mind, tell us all how smart the Giants are again. That's the best!

I’m the “emotional one” ?

Thanks for the calm, well thought out response.response. Perfect post to show how level headed you are. 

But that’s enough about us, I have a 830 tee time. Have a good nite my friend.

26 minutes ago, CTM said:

this thread has no point, 4 qb's in total and 1 of whom violates your trend does not make for a pattern. ( based on posts above, i didn't research)

Mayfield is better than Darnold today, any non homer get that.. seems like an excuse to dig into that wound. Which I totally support as good fun but you butt fumbled on missing winston and not clarifying sample size. It's easy enough to rile the Darnold butt sniffers without resorting to falsehoods

Apparently it is. Wasn’t my intention though.

I should’ve made it clear the Trubisky class was the starting point. What confused me was when someone brought up Mariota and Winston’s class then letting them become part of the discussion also. Then when it morphed into a Darnold thing, I knew it would become a cluster f***, and here we are...

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m the “emotional one” ?

Thanks for the calm, well thought out response.response. Perfect post to show how level headed you are. 

But that’s enough about us, I have a 830 tee time. Have a good nite my friend.

Meh, I'm on an overtime detail. Unless the SHTF, I've got nothing but time tonight....?

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Examples, please. Oh, there aren't any, because you're totally full of sh*t. I like the kid, Im super optomistic about him. But I also comprehend the sh*t roster he played (plays?) with, the handicap at HC and OC he had last year, and the fact that he's 21 years old.

Context. 

Ahh, never mind, tell us all how smart the Giants are, how Baker has MOXIE,  and how overrated Darnold is by JETS FANS again. That's the best!

Am i missing something?  How did the Giants become an issue, one that youve brought up twice now

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Am i missing something?  How did the Giants become an issue, one that youve brought up twice now

Maybe if you had just asked politely instead of throwing buttfumbles around, I'd explain it.... but you didn't, so GFY.

52 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Maybe if you had just asked politely instead of throwing buttfumbles around, I'd explain it.... but you didn't, so GFY.

You rag people, and whine about a buttfumble.  LOL

Its playoffs or bust time. Im over consistently reading we are headed in the right direction - but the playoffs are 2 years away. No the playoffs are not 2 years away. We just spent a ton of money in free agency. We have a new head coach who's time is basically now or never - its his 2nd gig - he's got to do it now. We have a hot head experienced no BS defensive coordinator - no more K.C. and the Sunshine Band! We have a QB. We have the President. We have Le'veon Bell. Its go time people. No more excuses. No more waiting. Playoffs come this season. Start spreading the news!

P.S. Forgot about the new uniforms and new helmet logo. Teams always make the playoffs when they change their uniform design - nobody look that up - just believe me on that one!

Archived