Josh Allen bidding

UnknownJetFan

Just wanted to, well since it is slow right now, generate some possible aspect of Josh Allen trade/pick options since there is probably a good chance he falls to our #slot with Murray and Bosa very possible going 1 and 2. Now the link below shows the #2, #3, #4 slots in the draft there to scout this player. If at #2 the 49ers want him fine then Bosa falls to us at #3. If not and Allen falls to us and the raiders really like him what would they be willing to give up to swap slots. Now mind you if we really want this guy, but want more picks we need to let the Raiders know(if they don't already) that the next best pass rusher most feel is a fairly high drop off as far as ranking/prospect so if we want the next best pass rusher we can't have a big gap there and just get a 2nd round pick out of it. I'd say at least one of their number 1 picks and perhaps more. What say you?.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/49ers-jets-and-raiders-among-josh-allens-pre-draft-visits/

I think if Josh Allen is the next great EDGE rusher and Mac trades out of picking him, he is toast.

I think if Josh Allen is an ok EDGE rusher that Mac overreaches for at 3 rather than trade down to fill multiple needs, he is also toast.  

So, probability of toast is pretty high. 

Sorry, but this is pure fantasy  No one is trading up in this draft for anyone but a quarterback.  That will be our sole opportunity to  trade back for extra picks.

Bosa, maybe, but questions about his health history, and not playing this season, plus his passing on Ohio State's pro day, make that possibility an extreme longshot.  There is a surplus of good defensive edge rushers and linebackers in this draft, teams will wait and draft according to their boards.

I would stay out at #3 and take Bosa or Allen whichever falls to us. If we can land one of best edge rushers in the draft (Bosa/Allen) you’ve got to take them. I might be reaching here but with one of the two there’s no reason this defense can’t be a top 5 unit in the league. I know we want weapons for Sam but a top defense is a hell of a weapon to give the team. 

It's just so frustrating to be going into the draft with such glaring holes on OL and Edge given the cap space. 

Esp for a team with such a clear BPA draft strategy under Mac, it's bizarre to back into a situation like this. 

29 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

It's just so frustrating to be going into the draft with such glaring holes on OL and Edge given the cap space. 

Esp for a team with such a clear BPA draft strategy under Mac, it's bizarre to back into a situation like this. 

It was not easy since the top tier center was Morse, but hey we should have pushed harder to get him. Paridise or whatever his name is would not be worth the large price tag with as many injuries as he has had.

This draft is so deep in defensive talent that there is no guarantee who will end up
being the best pass rusher.  On the surface it looks like Bosa, Williams or Allen
are the top guys.  But it wouldn't shock me if Sweat, Gary, Oliver, Ferrell or
Ferguson (to name a few) end up being the best rusher.  I'm not locking on any one
player, if we get a good offer for #3 I'll be more than willing to trade down

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Just wanted to, well since it is slow right now, generate some possible aspect of Josh Allen trade/pick options since there is probably a good chance he falls to our #slot with Murray and Bosa very possible going 1 and 2. Now the link below shows the #2, #3, #4 slots in the draft there to scout this player. If at #2 the 49ers want him fine then Bosa falls to us at #3. If not and Allen falls to us and the raiders really like him what would they be willing to give up to swap slots. Now mind you if we really want this guy, but want more picks we need to let the Raiders know(if they don't already) that the next best pass rusher most feel is a fairly high drop off as far as ranking/prospect so if we want the next best pass rusher we can't have a big gap there and just get a 2nd round pick out of it. I'd say at least one of their number 1 picks and perhaps more. What say you?.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/49ers-jets-and-raiders-among-josh-allens-pre-draft-visits/

Josh  Allen isn't exactly a scheme fit for the Raiders defense.   The Raiders aren't trading up for any player in this draft.( from 4) .  Will see who drops to them.

It will come down will the Raiders draft Q Williams- they are already deep at DT , or will they trade back.    Supposedly a team is looking to trade up to 4 to get in  front of Tampa Bay for Lb  Devin White.(Tampabay wants him) .

If I'm the Raiders I contact Tampa Bay they give us a third rounder will drop back to their spot so they can get Devin White.

Than I call the Giants they want their Qb Haskins - give up a third rounder and Switch first rounders. So Raiders would pick at 17, and the Giants 24. Not too much to get their Qb.

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Best this team has tanked in years and it’s one with questionable prospects up top and no elite offensive skill position players that have production to match athletic talent.  

Definition of Jetsy 4 sure

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

who do you like then? burns?

Trade down, even if sacrificing "value". Prefer strongly to grab as much offense as possible, OL, WR to help the kid develop. Hes got a ton of talent but not a great QB atm, more a puncher than a boxer. Would prefer to create an environment with the best opportunity for success.

I dont really buy the edge rusher helps a QB thing either, what helps a QB is guys who can beat thier man while we wait for the game to slow down for him and the mechanics of the position become second nature.

Running around and flinging it playing hero ball is fun to watch but the QBs who win consistantly for long careers play on schedule like a machine for the most part.

3 hours ago, ryu79 said:

They can easily fill one of those 2 holes with the first pick 

Free agency isn't over 

Not really all that bizarre actually 

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Free agency isn't over 

Jets Twitter: But that would put so much pressure on him to succeed?

He's the third pick of the draft. That would put that pressure on automatically

I think if you look back at the 2014, the consensus #1 pick was Clowney.  For the entire 2013 college football season, all the way to the draft, Clowney was clearly the guy going #1.

Similar to Bosa this year.  

Now let’s look back at the players from round 1 of the 2014 draft.  Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Barr, Mosley - you could argue that Clowney wasn’t even in the top 5 of that draft when you consider OBJ was also in that draft.

IMO, Q. Williams is the safest pick in this draft.  Bosa is smaller than his brother, will be coming off of a significant injury, and basically refused to work out at the OSU pro day.  Was his combine that impressive?  Now consider he doesn’t have that much film on him.

I don’t know what to think of Josh Allen yet, but taking him over Q. Williams, he needs to be a perennial 12+ sack guy every year.

As far as a trade down, With this crop of QBs, I can’t see a team like Wash willing to give up what it would cost to get to 3.  Lots of speculation that Giants, Denver, and Miami passing on QBs early in this draft.  Washington might be able to sit tight and nab Haskins.  Or at the most, move up with to around 10.

So Our draft is going to come down to Q. Williams or Allen.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Trade down, even if sacrificing "value". Prefer strongly to grab as much offense as possible, OL, WR to help the kid develop. Hes got a ton of talent but not a great QB atm, more a puncher than a boxer. Would prefer to create an environment with the best opportunity for success.

I dont really buy the edge rusher helps a QB thing either, what helps a QB is guys who can beat thier man while we wait for the game to slow down for him and the mechanics of the position become second nature.

Running around and flinging it playing hero ball is fun to watch but the QBs who win consistantly for long careers play on schedule like a machine for the most part.

edge rushers are the second most valuable players besides QB, it’s much harder to find those guys later in the draft or FA than it is to get OL or WR. not saying I don’t want those guys on offense I’m just saying I’m more confident in finders starters later  

11 hours ago, cant wait said:

edge rushers are the second most valuable players besides QB, it’s much harder to find those guys later in the draft or FA than it is to get OL or WR. not saying I don’t want those guys on offense I’m just saying I’m more confident in finders starters later  

I don't disagree but we have a young QB in need of development that still lacks talent around him. +I don't believe either of the 2 top guys mentioned are sure things based on athleticism

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Free agency isn't over 

Sure, but we had plenty of ammo to go into draft with pure bpa. It doesn't feel like we will as of now. By this I mean, would have loved a trade, doesn't appear we are in a position to pass on Allen/Bosa anymore if they are there.

Based on what's still available in FA, it doesn't seem there are folks there (barring a trade) to make it so either despite the fact we can still add bodies.

That's the bummer.

11 hours ago, Pcola said:

I think if you look back at the 2014, the consensus #1 pick was Clowney.  For the entire 2013 college football season, all the way to the draft, Clowney was clearly the guy going #1.

Similar to Bosa this year.  

Now let’s look back at the players from round 1 of the 2014 draft.  Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Barr, Mosley - you could argue that Clowney wasn’t even in the top 5 of that draft when you consider OBJ was also in that draft.

IMO, Q. Williams is the safest pick in this draft.  Bosa is smaller than his brother, will be coming off of a significant injury, and basically refused to work out at the OSU pro day.  Was his combine that impressive?  Now consider he doesn’t have that much film on him.

I don’t know what to think of Josh Allen yet, but taking him over Q. Williams, he needs to be a perennial 12+ sack guy every year.

As far as a trade down, With this crop of QBs, I can’t see a team like Wash willing to give up what it would cost to get to 3.  Lots of speculation that Giants, Denver, and Miami passing on QBs early in this draft.  Washington might be able to sit tight and nab Haskins.  Or at the most, move up with to around 10.

So Our draft is going to come down to Q. Williams or Allen.

Kinda Agree with this... As much as I hate taking another Bama guy, cause I'm so sick if hearing about them. Quick explan, Wife is a HUGE Bama fan, it's on 24x7 during college season. I have to listen to coach interviews, watch her pace back and forth on game days, it's like watching me years ago, when I gave a crap about the METS and JETS lol... Anyway long story short, Williams is a beast and I think the best defensive talent in this draft. If we stay at #3 he should be the pick even though I know it's not sexy taking another DT. Let me also preface this by saying my first choice is to find trading partners to get back into the 2nd round, and also to get as many pics as possible. We need to find starter ready C, and LT for THIS SEASON, or at least have the LT play RT this year until Beachum is gone next year. We've got to keep Sammy upright and not have him running for his life. That should be objective #1 this year.

7 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Sure, but we had plenty of ammo to go into draft with pure bpa. It doesn't feel like we will as of now. By this I mean, would have loved a trade, doesn't appear we are in a position to pass on Allen/Bosa anymore if they are there.

Based on what's still available in FA, it doesn't seem there are folks there (barring a trade) to make it so either despite the fact we can still add bodies.

That's the bummer.

BPA is a myth Gms use to basically say "we're not going to answer any question from the press about our draft process or player evaluation" 

It's always a mixed bag of BPA and need 

15 hours ago, KRL said:

This draft is so deep in defensive talent that there is no guarantee who will end up
being the best pass rusher.  On the surface it looks like Bosa, Williams or Allen
are the top guys.  But it wouldn't shock me if Sweat, Gary, Oliver, Ferrell or
Ferguson (to name a few) end up being the best rusher.  I'm not locking on any one
player, if we get a good offer for #3 I'll be more than willing to trade down

You can add Brian Burns to that list too, who would be someone to target if we trade down.

As much as I love Allen's athleticism, I think Quentin Williams is a better, safer player.  No, its not at a sexy position like "edge rusher", but he can be an elite pass rusher from the interior and we can find speed on the edge somewhere else.

Ideally, we swap with the Giants or Redskins and get Brian Burns or Sweat and then OL.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

I don’t trust Macc outside of the top 3. Don’t trade take the stud.

Agree 100%.  No need to get cute here let’s just sit put and draft Allen.  Worst case scenario we end up with QW who might be the best player in the draft

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’d only trade with the Giants, and for their 2 1st’s. Move back 3 spots for an extra 1st I’d do that. Other wise it’s Bosa, Allen or Williams at 3.

No way Giants are trading us both firsts for the 3 pick.

1. I think the giants supposedly “loving Haskins” is a negotiation tactic to get the price down for Rosen

2. The Giants would never give us such a great package their ownership hates us

3. It makes more sense for the giants to use both their firsts 

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

According to NFL Network the Jets didn’t meet with Allen and it’s not scheduled. I don’t like Allen but there’s no way they haven’t researched him. 

The NFL Network coverage sucks in a lot of ways.  They're very slow to report developments on player movement, and some of their "reporting" is lacking.  In respect to Josh Allen, he will be meeting with the Jets.  The report from the NFL Network was lacking, and they mentioned the Jets quickly  at the end.

Further investigation reveals that Cimini reports that the Jets plan on meeting with him.  They would be foolish not to.  This is a possible reason why the Jets were not mentioned  with the others.       NFL teams are allotted 30 pre-draft interviews with prospects. But Allen’s won’t count toward the Jets’ quota because teams are permitted to host prospects from local colleges or who grew up locally without it counting toward their total.

Archived