Josh Allen bidding

UnknownJetFan

I dont get the logic of some.  There isnt an offensive talent worthy of out 1 so we should trade down to draft one of those same players not worth of the 3rd pick.  Get him lower makes him better and helps the team more than taking a player worthy of the 3?

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

According to NFL Network the Jets didn’t meet with Allen and it’s not scheduled. I don’t like Allen but there’s no way they haven’t researched him. 

They were all over it when the Jets secretly had Darnold in for a meeting a year ago.  The word was we didnt meet with him and it wasnt scheduled.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont get the logic of some.  There isnt an offensive talent worthy of out 1 so we should trade down to draft one of those same players not worth of the 3rd pick.  Get him lower makes him better and helps the team more than taking a player worthy of the 3?

I think most posters want to pick up extra picks including a second this year because they feel drafting a player in the first and second plus extra picks is smarter then drafting one defensive player 3rd then waiting until the 3rd round to draft offensive help. 

19 hours ago, CTM said:

I don't think Allen has the requisite elite athleticism to take him that early. Bosa either

I disagree. Allen has great physical attributes, including bend and closing speed. Allen's issue is that he has a limited repertoire of moves and isn't great at reading the play and reacting. Bosa excels at the read and is a very polished attacker, but he's somewhat stiff and probably doesn't have much ceiling left. Neither is perfect, but both are potential elite players. Allen certainly has greater bust potential at the pro level, while Bosa will be at least very good -- floor is high.

28 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I think most posters want to pick up extra picks including a second this year because they feel drafting a player in the first and second plus extra picks is smarter then drafting one defensive player 3rd then waiting until the 3rd round to draft offensive help. 

Of course they do.  I get that.  But I'm talking about helping Sam, improving the roster on the offensive side of the ball.  The team with lets say Metcalf has improves a certain amount.  They improve the same amount if hes picked at 10 as at 3.  Theres no guarantees who will be brought in or available with the extra picks.  At the end of the day I want the best offensive player if theres one worthy of out 1.  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course they do.  I get that.  But I'm talking about helping Sam, improving the roster on the offensive side of the ball.  The team with lets say Metcalf has improves a certain amount.  They improve the same amount if hes picked at 10 as at 3.  Theres no guarantees who will be brought in or available with the extra picks.  At the end of the day I want the best offensive player if theres one worthy of out 1.  

Got ya. I agree if a player can play and is worth the 10th pick then he is worth the 3rd pick. That’s why I wouldn’t have an issue if they drafted J Williams at 3 and he played OG at a pro bowl level. 

40 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I disagree. Allen has great physical attributes, including bend and closing speed. Allen's issue is that he has a limited repertoire of moves and isn't great at reading the play and reacting. Bosa excels at the read and is a very polished attacker, but he's somewhat stiff and probably doesn't have much ceiling left. Neither is perfect, but both are potential elite players. Allen certainly has greater bust potential at the pro level, while Bosa will be at least very good -- floor is high.

It's not really something you can agree or disagree with, it just is. Based on combine numbers Josh Allen doesn't have elite athleticism compared to his peers (and more importantly the players that end up really good). 

Whether you put stock in such things is a different matter all together but the facts are the facts.

16 hours ago, Pcola said:

I think if you look back at the 2014, the consensus #1 pick was Clowney.  For the entire 2013 college football season, all the way to the draft, Clowney was clearly the guy going #1.

Similar to Bosa this year.  

Now let’s look back at the players from round 1 of the 2014 draft.  Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Barr, Mosley - you could argue that Clowney wasn’t even in the top 5 of that draft when you consider OBJ was also in that draft.

IMO, Q. Williams is the safest pick in this draft.  Bosa is smaller than his brother, will be coming off of a significant injury, and basically refused to work out at the OSU pro day.  Was his combine that impressive?  Now consider he doesn’t have that much film on him.

I don’t know what to think of Josh Allen yet, but taking him over Q. Williams, he needs to be a perennial 12+ sack guy every year.

As far as a trade down, With this crop of QBs, I can’t see a team like Wash willing to give up what it would cost to get to 3.  Lots of speculation that Giants, Denver, and Miami passing on QBs early in this draft.  Washington might be able to sit tight and nab Haskins.  Or at the most, move up with to around 10.

So Our draft is going to come down to Q. Williams or Allen.

can't say williams or allen will be the pick but it underscores how, at this point, things are still very fluid.  imo not getting an edge rusher is not the end of the world.  we saw some pretty good ones being neutrilzed by oline and qb play so while teams are saying pass rushing is the key it's just too easy to say an edge rusher will be the panacea.  pass rushing takes a defense that really plays well across the board and negates the advantage the qb's and offenses have .  in that sense it's better for the jets to keep looking offense and if the no. 3 pick is too high then trade back.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

It's not really something you can agree or disagree with, it just is. Based on combine numbers Josh Allen doesn't have elite athleticism compared to his peers (and more importantly the players that end up really good). 

Whether you put stock in such things is a different matter all together but the facts are the facts.

Yeah, everybody’s lost because adjectives don’t really do the trick here.

So Bosa’s psparq was 70th percentile and Allen’s was 80th. Meaning that given the existing resumes the numbers are right where they need to be to be super annoying together with some of the good-not-great/complete performances from the next group of guys. Allen tests in the JBosa/Chubb range but was not that kind of a college player. Bosa’s is just low enough where you start thinking about looking for the next guy but he’s not there. Burns and Sweat did well but didn’t hit the benchmarks they needed to really shake anything up.

Williams did a better job holding serve than Bosa did but Oliver is confirmed superman.

I’m fine with defensive line here. Not having things tied together can be a good thing. I mean if we take a receiver and he’s good and Sam is good the benefit comes predominantly simply from having two good players and not any kind of synergistic effect. Not as much as it hurts the other if one of them sucks.

17 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah, everybody’s lost because adjectives don’t really do the trick here.

So Bosa’s psparq was 70th percentile and Allen’s was 80th. Meaning that given the existing resumes the numbers are right where they need to be to be super annoying together with some of the good-not-great/complete performances from the next group of guys. Allen tests in the JBosa/Chubb range but was not that kind of a college player. Bosa’s is just low enough where you start thinking about looking for the next guy but he’s not there. Burns and Sweat did well but didn’t hit the benchmarks they needed to really shake anything up.

Williams did a better job holding serve than Bosa did but Oliver is confirmed superman.

I’m fine with defensive line here. Not having things tied together can be a good thing. I mean if we take a receiver and he’s good and Sam is good the benefit comes predominantly simply from having two good players and not any kind of synergistic effect. Not as much as it hurts the other if one of them sucks.

Right, my point was more that Allen/Bosa testing moved them from the you'd be crazy to pass on them distinction that they were being talked about as recently as a month ago. (and some still are)

Disagree on QB/WR synergy but ultimately I'm tired of drafting defense and having a sh*te offense. Combine that with the iffy/inexperienced QB we took last year for 4 draft picks and it's enough rational to me to be focused on moving down and grabbing offense with whatever picks we get in return.  Would love to come away with a top OL and WR prospect instead of Bosa/Allen

47 minutes ago, CTM said:

Right, my point was more that Allen/Bosa testing moved them from the you'd be crazy to pass on them distinction that they were being talked about as recently as a month ago. (and some still are)

Disagree on QB/WR synergy but ultimately I'm tired of drafting defense and having a sh*te offense. Combine that with the iffy/inexperienced QB we took last year for 4 draft picks and it's enough rational to me to be focused on moving down and grabbing offense with whatever picks we get in return.  Would love to come away with a top OL and WR prospect instead of Bosa/Allen

Bosa is underwhelming but those guys are not even there. I think you're looking at Metcalf or Taylor and very little else in addition and to me Bosa or Williams for that would be a disaster let alone Oliver.

When you have 100 m in cap space and top #3 pick  you take quality, not quantity  You have money to spend on players and postions,   so take the best avl.  Player , especialy if its a need position and the secound most valuable position.  So take Bosa or Allen. And be set at that postion for years.  

Archived