There's something wrong.... with most of us

JetsMetsDevilsPA

We're all Rammy.  The Uniform release, the shi*ty end of Free Agency, the draft.  Lets face it, most of these topics that are posted are done because we are a bunch of agonizing, bored, die hard Jets Fans.  Who do we sign? Is Defense more important than Offense? Where do we go with the draft?  Personally the only god damn thing I care about is we put tools in place around Sam.  That starts with the O-Line and reliable targets... I hear everyone saying edge rusher, edge rusher, edge rusher and thats not what Sam needs.  If I were Mac I would be doing everything in my power to trade down.  Thats not necessarily for a team looking for a QB, it could be that team looking for the edge rusher that everyone is getting a stiffy for and i'd bet my left nut that some of these teams would trade up to get them.  This draft has to be about putting the pieces around Sam.  I personally feel he is the FQB we have been waiting for over ages but how exactly can you evaluate that unless he has the tools?  Bottom line:  If you score 55 points a game you dont need the elusive edge rusher.  Draft has to be all Offense.  

Nope. The SB proved Defense still wins championships. 

The bottom line is I want a TEAM that is good. We lost a bunch of games last year b/c our team could not hold a lead. There are different ways to improve a team. I want guys that have the highest likely hood to be great players. I don't want another Idzik draft with a ton of picks and 2 years later noting to show for them. This means I'd rather have a stud pass rusher than 3 JAGs at WR, C and RT. 

But I GET IT. There's still some holes on the Offense. I would not mind to trade down if we could stay in the top 10 and get J.Williams-OT b/c I truly believe he can be a legit Pro Bowl LT in the near future. But I don't see any other O-linemen worth passing on a guy like Bosa for. Or any WRs. Or any Centers. And there's nobody better than L.Bell in this draft at RB and I'm happy with C.Herndon at TE. The weapons around Darnold right now are really not that bad. Enunwa, Robby, Crowder, Bell, Herndon. Yes, we need help on O-line. But again, other than J.Williams, who is going to come in and dominate?   

9 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

We're all Rammy.  The Uniform release, the shi*ty end of Free Agency, the draft.  Lets face it, most of these topics that are posted are done because we are a bunch of agonizing, bored, die hard Jets Fans.  Who do we sign? Is Defense more important than Offense? Where do we go with the draft?  Personally the only god damn thing I care about is we put tools in place around Sam.  That starts with the O-Line and reliable targets... I hear everyone saying edge rusher, edge rusher, edge rusher and thats not what Sam needs.  If I were Mac I would be doing everything in my power to trade down.  Thats not necessarily for a team looking for a QB, it could be that team looking for the edge rusher that everyone is getting a stiffy for and i'd bet my left nut that some of these teams would trade up to get them.  This draft has to be about putting the pieces around Sam.  I personally feel he is the FQB we have been waiting for over ages but how exactly can you evaluate that unless he has the tools?  Bottom line:  If you score 55 points a game you dont need the elusive edge rusher.  Draft has to be all Offense.  

3rd and 4th string running backs; no. 1 WR (Quincy) out; (in fact I didn't even know WHO in the blue hell our WRs were - Rashad who?), our center was so bad at snapping the ball, he had to be removed; Shell out for year, Carpenter out; 

all that being said, with all that crap around him, Sam still engineered a 4th qtr comeback win over the Bills.  He did the same thing in both the Texans and Packers games as well.  but what happened?  oh that's right:  the "vaunted" Jets defense let the opponent march right down the field each time and we lost!!

And as bad as that Browns game was, and our offense (Sam included) did not look good, we were winning the whole game and Baker took the lead.  what did Sam do?  marched right down and took the lead back.  but again defense....

I'm not saying we don't need a center, or an actual #1 WR.  I'm just saying that Sam had absolute CRAP around him from the Vikings game onward, and STILL could have had multiple 4th qtr comeback wins if not for the defense!  you cannot count on 40 points per game!!

This fan base has been water boarded into believing that the Jets need a top 10 defense in order to win games and win the Super Bowl. It's just not true anymore. You need a great offense with an average defense and you'll win double digit games every year. The Patriots, Rams, Chiefs and Saints were those exact style of teams last year and they were the 4 remaining teams left.

I know what's coming, "but the Patriots held the Rams to 3 points in the Super Bowl". Yes that's true but that game was not indicative of how either team won all year. In fact the AFC Championship game was 37-31 just two weeks prior. It was an outlier. The year before the score was 41-33 in the Super Bowl. 

That's why, in my opinion, you trade back and use your first 3-4 picks on the best offensive players available. Surround your young FQB with talented young players he can grow with, what a novel idea. Then, bc the depth of the draft is on defense, you start taking best available defensive players starting with the late 3rd early 4th.  You can still get a few impact players for the defense at that stage.

If you want the QB to reach his potential then you need to start using premium picks and cap space to help that happen.

Football is a team sport. A pass rusher does help Darnold. If the defense is getting turnovers and/or 3 & outs, it’s getting the ball back in Sam’s hands and that’s what we all want. 

I’d love a big trade down that gives the team extra picks this year and next, but I don’t want to see Maccagnan take a bad deal just for the sake of dealing. If he’s not fleecing someone I’d be content to just take the EDGE sitting there. 

But don't worry. The rumors seem to be that he'll be moving down. 

17 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

True, I never see NE with a Von Miller edge rusher yet they score mega points and win without the pass rush. Hey, I would be all for drafting that all world Blind side Tackle to start at #3, but this draft just doesn't have one even though Williams, Taylor, and Little, etc. could all be great like that, but just aren't ranked that high. Also, all the skill position players in this draft are probably ranked 8-10 or lower. So, as you said we want to go O, we should trade down with either the raiders for a pass rusher like Allen, or the Giants for the QB they need and put the deal on the table that we need for either case, 2 of your number 1 picks(or more in the Giants case). I think it's fair and with 2 number 1's at lower picks we can (At least I would pick best available LT and WR). That;s what I would do and address pass rusher next round and the best available FA left. If we can finally do a deal with the Giants and get the additional 1 and their 2nd this year as well, then with the 2nd pick we can take best available pass rusher or center. Then the revers of that with our 1st 3rd rounder, which is like a low 2nd rounder. I think any trade down would require mainly multiple picks this year high in the draft cause and extra 1st and 2nd rounder next year 2020 doesn't help Mac now and he may not get to use those picks if he is fired.

Everyone is fixated on getting an elite pass rusher. The jets haven't had one since John Abraham. I get it. The jets need one, but everyone is acting like it's the last piece to the puzzle. 

The jets aren't winning the SB this year, but they can be competitive and contend for the playoffs. The best thing to do is what the OP said,  help Sam Darnold. He is still developing.Putting good players around his side of the ball will help him reach his potential faster. 

Build a wall around him with a top 10 Oline  and get a #1 WR. 

What's wrong with the Jets being like the Saints from 12'-16' (scoring 40 points a lot of games but going 8-8)  for a year? This defense isn't as bad as those saints without a true pass rusher anyways. 

There's going to be plenty of offseasons with Sam around to fill that void on the edge

47 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I think it behooves the Jets to build a wall of an offensive line around Sam asap and for good. From there you don't necessarily need true No. 1 WRs or RBs, but rather a fleet of solid skill players across the board. Tho it does help having one elite skill player (Gronk, Gurley, Kamara). We have that in Bell. Anyway, building a great o-line should be non negotiable IMO.

As for defense: I see what you're saying, but I think building a strong pass rush is of similar importance to that side of the football.  

Bottom line: in today's game where the rules cater to offense, the only way to compete is to be able to light up the scoreboard. So your logic corresponds with that.

1 hour ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

So what else is new?

Ok, so you want to fix the OL.  What's your plan?  Trade down and take a center?  That's plausible but only if we get a mid-round first AND a second and a third.  A LT who won't play this year?  That's possible but it won't help the team this year.  A RT who may or may not play and who will likely not improve the OL?  Unlikely because Shell is there and from what I've read he will be ready for camp.  

I'm not asking facetiously.  What would be ideal for you?

This fan base has been water boarded into believing that the Jets need a top 10 defense in order to win games and win the Super Bowl. It's just not true anymore. You need a great offense with an average defense and you'll win double digit games every year. The Patriots, Rams, Chiefs and Saints were those exact style of teams last year and they were the 4 remaining teams left.
I know what's coming, "but the Patriots held the Rams to 3 points in the Super Bowl". Yes that's true but that game was not indicative of how either team won all year. In fact the AFC Championship game was 37-31 just two weeks prior. It was an outlier. The year before the score was 41-33 in the Super Bowl. 
That's why, in my opinion, you trade back and use your first 3-4 picks on the best offensive players available. Surround your young FQB with talented young players he can grow with, what a novel idea. Then, bc the depth of the draft is on defense, you start taking best available defensive players starting with the late 3rd early 4th.  You can still get a few impact players for the defense at that stage.
If you want the QB to reach his potential then you need to start using premium picks and cap space to help that happen.

Just fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I hope you have sex like Jamal Adams plays football!

—Jamal Adams Sex—

Her: actually, the clitoris is not in the elbow. 

Me: <At the foot of the bed, sweating, doing full Milly Rock in the nude> It totally is boo.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I think you said it right there: "an average defense".  we have an AWFUL defense.  I was just re-watching the Jets-Texans game last night (IMHO Sam's best day as a pro).  Man, I forgot how from late in the 2nd quarter until early 4th quarter our defense was lights out!  I mean texans couldn't even snap the ball!!  that was great.  then Sam gets the ball with like 12 minutes left in the game, and engineers a 7 minute plus drive to take the lead.  5 minutes left.  all the defense has to do is hold it.  and what happens?  Titans game - we are winning for 59 minutes!!!  and blow it in the end!!  packers game, browns game.....colts game! (no one mentions that because we won.  ridiculous how we didn't blow them out by 30!!)  on and on and on....

I don't care if you are an amazing defense for 58 minutes of the game.  what matters is what happens at the end of the game when it matters most.  and this defense consistently lets us down.  I, for one, am sick of it.

last year was a QB-heavy draft.  this year, it's defense.  we certainly are NOT one player away, but if someone like Bosa is there for us and we don't take him....

I wonder if, statistically, the likelihood of finding a pass rusher is much less in the later half of the first round than the beginning of the round.

Consensus being the jets improve this coming year to at least a middle to upper middle of the pack team the likelihood of getting an impact pass rusher then decreases next year.

If we are picking in the later half of the round next year it may be much more likely to find an impact o lineman than pass rusher.

There are, or course, more variables such as projected talent depth at a given position each year of draft eligible players.

This year there seems to be an consensus among talent evaluators that the high level talent lies in pass rushers this draft. As far as o line, there doesnt seem to be any "stars" but some "solid" prospects to be found in the middle rounds.

Free agency went like it always does 

Back in the day all you heard about was signings, none of the Twitter nonsense the agents leak to drive up the price 

That used to be done over the telephone or a facsimile machine 

The jets added 2 players that were first team all pro to the OFFENSE including PLAYMAKER AND THE LINE and some of you guys are seriously bitching that they didn't sign ALL OF THEM ???

I've been through this before, I'm good 

4 hours ago, slats said:

Football is a team sport. A pass rusher does help Darnold. If the defense is getting turnovers and/or 3 & outs, it’s getting the ball back in Sam’s hands and that’s what we all want. 

I’d love a big trade down that gives the team extra picks this year and next, but I don’t want to see Maccagnan take a bad deal just for the sake of dealing. If he’s not fleecing someone I’d be content to just take the EDGE sitting there. 

But don't worry. The rumors seem to be that he'll be moving down. 

The flipside to this is, if the defense works hard to get off the field, and Sam goes 3 and out because of the lack of weapons then that means the defense is right back on the field. A defense can hold up for so long in a game, week after week. Did we improve our offense? Slightly. We were bottom 3rd in runningback talent/production and bottom 3rd in WR talent and production. A pass rusher cant catch period. Now im not saying i dont want a pass rusher, but after the 3rd pick assuming we dont trade down, all the rest of our picks should be on offense. I dont even care that our corners are bad, lets just try to be an offensive oriented team FOR ONCE 

5 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Agree with you 100%. Draft needs to be 100% Darnold. If QW and Bosa nd Allen are so good. Should be easy to find a trade partner.

Archived