Which teams are actually looking QB?

Integrity28

The following teams have a need or have been linked to QBs in the top half of this draft:

Arizona - all reports point to Murray

After our pick:

Tampa, Giants (2 picks), Raiders, Lions, Denver, Miami, and Washington 

That’s about half the teams in the top 16 picks.

With Haskins and Lock being the only 2 QBs - it is conceivable that there will be a market for trade-ups. Key to creating that market is putting your own draft position in-play as a threat to the wanting teams. Mac’s job right now is to generate as much reality as possible that his #3 will be dealt to some team closer to #8-15 range, thus the threat of losing out by being jumped in front of becomes a situation for teams in #4-7 range. IF we can successfully get teams to surge forward for Haskins and/or Lock, it obviously pushes top tier talent backwards. 

The only guy I think we stay at 3 for is Bosa. Otherwise, goal should be to force some sh*tty teams hand.

Oakland is the X factor here...

Personally I don't think they're looking to draft a QB. But they're looking at QBs and it's been said that Gruden really likes Haskins and that some people withing the scouting circles truly believe Haskins won't get past Oakland at 4.

Whether it's true or not, if they can get people to actually believe it, then it really helps out our cause

23 minutes ago, King P said:

Personally I don't think they're looking to draft a QB. But they're looking at QBs and it's been said that Gruden really likes Haskins and that some people withing the scouting circles truly believe Haskins won't get past Oakland at 4.

Whether it's true or not, if they can get people to actually believe it, then it really helps out our cause

The plus for the Jets is that it's beneficial to the Raiders for there to be a perception that they're interested in Haskins if they're not because the Jets trading out to a QB hungry team would drop another top prospect, non-QB down to them. So either they're interested and trying to hide it, further fueling speculation, or they just allow the speculation to run rampant. Either way, it's good for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The only guy I think we stay at 3 for is Bosa. Otherwise, goal should be to force some sh*tty teams hand.

I too would stay put and draft the injured trex who lacks elite athleticism just because he's white.

Never mind that our potential franchise QB has no WR1 and a weak Oline.

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

I too would stay put and draft the injured trex who lacks elite athleticism just because he's white.

Why would a simian care if he’s white? the human species, as well as whatever you are, is beneath me.

Jokes aside, I said “i think it’s who we stay put for” = prognosticating what Mac would do. I don’t have a point of view of my own yet. I don’t start learning about these guys until my turn in the JN mock draft is up.

16 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Jokes aside, I said “i think it’s who we stay put for” = prognosticating what Mac would do. I don’t have a point of view of my own yet. I don’t start learning about these guys until my turn in the JN mock draft is up.

It's no surprise that you would have keen insight into the innermost thoughts of a fellow humanzee

2 hours ago, King P said:

Raiders aren't drafting a Qb with any of their top four picks. Derek Carr is the starter. ( working out a lot  already with Antonio Brown). Mike Glennon is the backup.    Might bring a developmental prospect to compete with Gruden next garbage reclamation prospect Nathan Peterman. 

Gruden hopes someone trades up to the Jets that one of the pass rushers drops to their spot.

30 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders aren't drafting a Qb with any of their top four picks. Derek Carr is the starter. ( working out a lot  already with Antonio Brown). Mike Glennon is the backup.    Might bring a developmental prospect to compete with Gruden next garbage reclamation prospect Nathan Peterman. 

oh well if Raideraholic says so it must be true.

Still, it benefits the Jest and the Roiders to let QB needy teams think you want to take the QB and we want to trade to a team who wants to take the QB 

2 hours ago, CTM said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the name recognition and the solid (yet limited) production he had at OSU. There's also a bit of mystery with him with that limited tape and the whole "NFL bloodline" positive that almost assures people he won't be a total bust.

He won't be Gholston but will he be a Michael Bennett? A Ryan Kerrigan? We're not talking a prime JJ Watt here.

14 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the name recognition and the solid (yet limited) production he had at OSU. There's also a bit of mystery with him with that limited tape and the whole "NFL bloodline" positive that almost assures people he won't be a total bust.

He won't be Gholston but will he be a Michael Bennett? A Ryan Kerrigan? We're not talking a prime JJ Watt here.

I was just busting the furball's micro testes.

The reality is this isn't the type of athlete that is a no brainer top 3 selection. Nor is Allen.

Trade down.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Most of these teams have starters and are looking to draft competition.  I don't know if these teams are trading up for a player that may not start right away.  There are 4, possibly 5 first round QBs.  They may not be day 1 starters but have shown enough to compete against an aging veteran and garner that 5th-year team option.  Other than Murray, there is Haskins, Lock, Jones and possibly Grier.  If Rosen gets traded to one of these teams, it could be 6 teams going after 4 QBs, with Washington really the only team without a legitimate starter.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The following teams have a need or have been linked to QBs in the top half of this draft:

Arizona - all reports point to Murray

After our pick:

That’s about half the teams in the top 16 picks.

With Haskins and Lock being the only 2 QBs - it is conceivable that there will be a market for trade-ups. Key to creating that market is putting your own draft position in-play as a threat to the wanting teams. Mac’s job right now is to generate as much reality as possible that his #3 will be dealt to some team closer to #8-15 range, thus the threat of losing out by being jumped in front of becomes a situation for teams in #4-7 range. IF we can successfully get teams to surge forward for Haskins and/or Lock, it obviously pushes top tier talent backwards. 

Agree with this completely.

the problem is none of the qb's really stand out like mayfield/darnold/allen/rosen did in last year's drafts.  enough teams always need qb's but few are willing to move up too much for a guy who is just not that impressive.  it happens.  and even though it looks like gruden is going to move on from carr, i don't think he's foolish enough to waste a high draft pick on a qb who just doesn't impress.

we'll see what happens.  heck we'll see what happens with darnold this season.  not that we shouldn't all think he's going to be the guy but he still has to show more and so does this team.

15 hours ago, CTM said:

I was just busting the furball's micro testes.

The reality is this isn't the type of athlete that is a no brainer top 3 selection. Nor is Allen.

Trade down.

Yeh I tend to agree with you... though the "We haven't had a pass rush since Abe!" voice is still in the back of most of our heads.

If you told me we trade down and wind up with a Montez Sweat and a top OL who wouldn't be happy with that?

One of the problems Jets have is the QB class next year and year after really good qb s coming out and teams like Miami Denver and washington, know that. If Jets were in their spots I wouldnt want them giving up picks for Haskens,. Would keep picks draft best avl in a deep defense draft, and go after qb next year.  By way if some how in 2 years Pats are horrible and end up with top pick and grab Clemson qb .  I quit! 

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

the problem is none of the qb's really stand out like mayfield/darnold/allen/rosen did in last year's drafts.

That's because the media isn't hyping them up like they did with last year's QB class.

They talked about how the 2017 QB class was terrible and that teams should skip that class for 2018. Yet you had 2 teams trade up for both Mahomes and Watson. Look how that's turned out...

19 hours ago, King P said:

That's because the media isn't hyping them up like they did with last year's QB class.

They talked about how the 2017 QB class was terrible and that teams should skip that class for 2018. Yet you had 2 teams trade up for both Mahomes and Watson. Look how that's turned out...

i don't buy that. mahommes wasn't talked up because he came from a chuck and duck program and watson didn't test out much above average at the combine.  and it's not like they traded up from 15+ to top 5 to get either of those guys.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:42 PM, King P said:

The problem is the Raiders really can’t do anything with Carr until 2020 with the way his contract is structured. 

Archived