Allen says he is the best

Mark78

Kentucky's Allen says he's the draft's best player

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky Wildcatspass rusher Josh Allen, who chased down a lot of quarterbacks in the fall, might not be able to close the gap on Oklahoma's Kyler Murray -- widely projected as the top pick in next month's draft. But Allen still believes he's the "best overall player."

"You can just watch the film, watch the games," Allen told ESPN on Friday at the Kentucky pro day. "If you're talking about stats, I mean, I finished second in the nation in sacks, playing in the SEC, which doesn't throw the ball as much as other conferences.

"I'm physical. I played the whole season. I played every game. I'm healthy. I just think I'm the best edge rusher, the best pass rusher, the best overall player in this draft."

Josh Allen is scheduled to visit several teams over the next few weeks, including the 49ers, Raiders and Giants. Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

Allen decided not to work out at the school's pro day, opting to stand on his scouting-combine workout. Allen will visit several teams in the coming weeks, including the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Giants and Detroit Lions, according to the NFL Network. He told ESPN he expects the New York Jets to be on his list of pre-draft stops.

Allen, who recorded 17 sacks in his senior season, is considered a likely top-5 pick. The 49ers, Jets, Raiders, Bucs and Giants own the second to sixth picks, respectively.

The Kentucky pro day drew talent evaluators from every NFL team. One head coach was in attendance, Mike Zimmer of the Minnesota Vikings. Two general managers were present -- Rick Spielman (Vikings) and Mike Mayock (Raiders). It's possible that some top decision-makers decided to skip it because they knew Allen wasn't planning to work out.

Allen, who grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, spent time chatting with Giants scouts. It would be a homecoming if he were drafted by the Giants or Jets. His family's home is about 15 miles from the two facilities.

"I'm from there and I know the areas, so I wouldn't have to get introduced as much," he said. "It would mean a lot, being back home in my old stomping grounds. I didn't grow up a Giants or Jets fan, but I wouldn't mind being a fan now."

Who writes this stuff?  I imagine he would think he is the best player in the draft.  He's supposed to.  For public consumption anyway. 

I'll tell you what bothers me about these guys.  They proclaim with great bravado how they should be considered the "best" player in the draft, then, for one reason or another, either beg out of the combine, parts of it, or their pro day.  This goes for almost all of them. 

If they're so confident in their remarkable skills put it out there for all to see.  That's what "the best" should, and would do. Talk is cheap.

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Mike Mayock's NFL Draft rankings: Johnny Manziel is the top quarterback

After Teddy Bridgewater long held the top spot on Mike Mayock's draft rankings, he has been passed by Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel as the best quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft.

because your kiss in on my lisp, becos your kiss in on my lisp....

I get a kick out of the people that are laughing at this.  It's quite plausible that he will be the best player to come out of this draft.  If all the top guys live up to their potential, this is the best pass rusher in the group.  So if he turns out to be Von Miller-esque, then it wasn't really much to laugh at.  

All these guys should be believing in reaching their potential.  Josh Allen knows his potential is All-Pro.  Why wouldn't he believe in himself?

Kentucky's Allen says he's the draft's best player

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky Wildcatspass rusher Josh Allen, who chased down a lot of quarterbacks in the fall, might not be able to close the gap on Oklahoma's Kyler Murray -- widely projected as the top pick in next month's draft. But Allen still believes he's the "best overall player."
"You can just watch the film, watch the games," Allen told ESPN on Friday at the Kentucky pro day. "If you're talking about stats, I mean, I finished second in the nation in sacks, playing in the SEC, which doesn't throw the ball as much as other conferences.
"I'm physical. I played the whole season. I played every game. I'm healthy. I just think I'm the best edge rusher, the best pass rusher, the best overall player in this draft."
  Josh Allen is scheduled to visit several teams over the next few weeks, including the 49ers, Raiders and Giants. Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Allen decided not to work out at the school's pro day, opting to stand on his scouting-combine workout. Allen will visit several teams in the coming weeks, including the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Giants and Detroit Lions, according to the NFL Network. He told ESPN he expects the New York Jets to be on his list of pre-draft stops.
Allen, who recorded 17 sacks in his senior season, is considered a likely top-5 pick. The 49ers, Jets, Raiders, Bucs and Giants own the second to sixth picks, respectively.
The Kentucky pro day drew talent evaluators from every NFL team. One head coach was in attendance, Mike Zimmer of the Minnesota Vikings. Two general managers were present -- Rick Spielman (Vikings) and Mike Mayock (Raiders). It's possible that some top decision-makers decided to skip it because they knew Allen wasn't planning to work out.
Allen, who grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, spent time chatting with Giants scouts. It would be a homecoming if he were drafted by the Giants or Jets. His family's home is about 15 miles from the two facilities.
"I'm from there and I know the areas, so I wouldn't have to get introduced as much," he said. "It would mean a lot, being back home in my old stomping grounds. I didn't grow up a Giants or Jets fan, but I wouldn't mind being a fan now."

Wait.... he’s the best player?? Ok. I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, New York Mick said:

EC1E4C43-D319-4EA4-A4FE-5CA6CAC3F7AA.gif

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/SEC-Jawaan-Taylor-Josh-Allen-toughest-to-block-129903013/

Kentucky's Josh Allen raced around the edge for a sack 17 times this season. His talents as a pass rusher made him one of the most feared in the SEC this season. At the NFL Combine, The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard posed a simple question to some of the SEC's best offensive tackles last season: who was the most difficult player to defend?

The answers, unsurprisingly, favored Allen.

“Josh Allen was the best pass rusher I faced last year,” Florida left tackle Jawaan Taylor said.

“Josh Allen just brings a lot of different moves to the table. Brian Burns was more of a speed guy with a counter inside. He has a lot of different moves as well, but Allen is just a little bit stronger so you have to be able to prepare for his strength as well.”

Kentucky football spring practice has arrived. Get the latest news sent directly to your inbox when you sign up for our FREE email newsletter TODAY!

South Carolina left tackle Dennis Daley learned a valuable lesson by playing against Allen.

“The best player I faced in college was Josh Allen. We kinda got in a hole on offense and things weren’t going our way late. He’s a real good player, he knows how to bend to get around the edge, he’s so good at that. And he never stops, he just keeps it going. He’s got that motor," Daley continued.

“Facing Josh Allen…I guess it put in the back of my head that I never want to feel this way again. I kind of took my preparation to another level because I didn’t ever want to go through that again.”

Texas A&M running Trayveon Williams went a step further when explaining the talents of the New Jersey native.

“Josh Allen was the best player I faced over my career. He knew what plays were coming before we ran them," Williams said via The Athletic's Dane Brugler.

The senior has been projected anywhere from No. 2 overall by the San Francisco 49ers to No. 4 overall by the Oakland Raiders.

Unfortunately for each of those players, they are heading to the professional ranks where they could very well face Allen yet again. There is no escaping him.

Allen had 62 tackles, seven sacks and four forced fumbles in 2016. The following year, he had 66 tackles, seven sacks, three pass deflections and an interception. During his final campaign, he had 88 tackles, 17 sacks, five forced fumbles and four pass deflections. The New Jersey native was a unanimous All-American. He won the Chuck Bednarik Award, Lott Trophy, Bronko Nagurski Trophy and was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

The 2019 NFL Draft takes place in Nashville April 25-27.

He doesn't have to be your favorite guy - but you need to get over this "he's trash" mindset. 

16 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I’d love to see the jump burns makes this coming year, keep in mind allen came back for his senior season which is when he really took off

He needs to add some bulk.  He’s really light right now.  If he can maintain his quicks with another 15 pounds on him then he’ll be a  very productive player.  

I am not yet done looking at film, but my initial thought is...

Quinnen Williams is the best player in the draft. 

He is bigger than Bosa and Allen.  Stronger than Bosa and Allen.  And looks equally quick on film.... Williams can dominate a game at the LOS.  I am not sure the other two can.  Game changing sacks, probably.   But dominate a game?  I dont know.

Based on my initial assessment,  INITIAL, if QW is there at #3 it would take a whale of a deal for me to trade down.  The guy is a monster.

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He needs to add some bulk.  He’s really light right now.  If he can maintain his quicks with another 15 pounds on him then he’ll be a  very productive player.  

yeah burns is still a year behind in terms of his development. allen put on 30 pounds before coming into his senior year at 260, whereas burns put on 10-15 after his junior season to hit 250 at the combine. the upside is tempting but I think I’d still lean towards the more known quantity in allen

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

yeah burns is still a year behind in terms of his development. allen put on 30 pounds before coming into his senior year at 260, whereas burns put on 10-15 after his junior season to hit 250 at the combine. the upside is tempting but I think I’d still lean towards the more known quantity in allen

Agreed.   But Burns is intriguing.  If he can keep the weight on he’s going to be effective.  

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/SEC-Jawaan-Taylor-Josh-Allen-toughest-to-block-129903013/

He doesn't have to be your favorite guy - but you need to get over this "he's trash" mindset. 

IMO he’s the most overrated passrusher this year. He’s a one  dimensional passrusher that’s not going to get the huge openings in the pros and get blocked out of the play on runs. He is good at coverage. 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

IMO he’s the most overrated passrusher this year. He’s a one  dimensional passrusher that’s not going to get the huge openings in the pros and get blocked out of the play on runs. He is good at coverage. 

I think you are evaluating too much from just the bowl game.  His body of work doesn’t match what you are saying.  

33 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think you are evaluating too much from just the bowl game.  His body of work doesn’t match what you are saying.  

You could say that to posters who don’t actually watch college football and read the stats and watch highlights after someone starts getting talked about after a big game. I watch a lot of college football. I’ve never thought he was great. 

Archived