Allen says he is the best

Mark78

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You could say that to posters who don’t actually watch college football and read the stats and watch highlights after someone starts getting talked about after a big game. I watch a lot of college football. I’ve ever thought he was great. 

So you’ve watched all his games at Kentucky?

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So you’ve watched all his games at Kentucky?

No. He just up and decided to be the guy who has a thing. If you read the thread from Allen's bowl game you can actually see where the light bulb lit up and popped and the next thing you know it's another spirited game of Have a Take. The kids ******* love that sh*t. 

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

No. He just up and decided to be the guy who has a thing. If you read the thread from Allen's bowl game you can actually see where the light bulb lit up and popped and the next thing you know it's another spirited game of Have a Take. The kids ******* love that sh*t. 

So glad you know what I do. That’s the thread everyone was talking about him so I chimed in. 

Watch the Georgia game if you want to see why I think he’s overrated. He’s blocked out of plays the whole game. 

Scene: draft night in a down-market south Florida gin joint. The envelope has been turned in and they're playing the video like always. This is the moment he's been waiting for, and the Jets never disappoint in disappointing. 'Same old Jets. Go figure. This is the one guy I didn't want. Ayyyyyyyyyyup, been saying it since January. I'm kind of known for it. When I saw him hit the quarterback ten times in that bowl game I knew. So now I'm that guy who didn't want Josh Allen and he's all ours. This'll be good for at least three of the same message board post every single day basically forever. Take that, Villain the Foe!'

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

You could say that to posters who don’t actually watch college football and read the stats and watch highlights after someone starts getting talked about after a big game. I watch a lot of college football. I’ve never thought he was great. 

You say that, but your remark about Allen being one dimensional is the equivalent of saying Last year's Allen had a weak arm... He's the most versatile pure OLB to come since i can't remember. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

So glad you know what I do. That’s the thread everyone was talking about him so I chimed in. 

Watch the Georgia game if you want to see why I think he’s overrated. He’s blocked out of plays the whole game. 

One game where he was blocked out the whole game says it all?

Joey Bosa in the Pats playoff game proves hes overrated too?  

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

You say that, but your remark about Allen being one dimensional is the equivalent of saying Last year's Allen had a weak arm... He's the most versatile pure OLB to come since i can't remember. 

I said he’s a one dimensional passrusher (which a lot of “experts” have been saying as well) and is good in coverage. He’s not good against the run and gets eaten up by blockers who get their hands on him.

I feel like this is the same debate I had years ago about  Darren Mcfadden. Everyone jumped on his bandwagon because he was fast. I personally didn’t like him because I didn’t think he cut worth a sh*t and depended on opening to make plays. In hindsight we took Gholston that year so McFadden would of been a lot better choice if he was available. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

the most valid criticism I’ve seen is that a lot of allen’s sacks could be considered “low quality” bc they come off of situations where the offense gets fooled because they were expecting him to drop into coverage instead of winning with a fully developed arsenal of pass rush moves. but I don’t see why he can’t develop that at the next leve

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

IMO he’s the most overrated passrusher this year. He’s a one  dimensional passrusher that’s not going to get the huge openings in the pros and get blocked out of the play on runs. He is good at coverage. 

F71B5C6B-20EC-47D4-A599-50AC601F28D9.jpeg

3 hours ago, cant wait said:

the most valid criticism I’ve seen is that a lot of allen’s sacks could be considered “low quality” bc they come off of situations where the offense gets fooled because they were expecting him to drop into coverage instead of winning with a fully developed arsenal of pass rush moves. but I don’t see why he can’t develop that at the next leve

Sure. I mean, i don't think it's a problem - he's got all the natural talent in the world - but if we want to go after things like that, then we have to do the same with QW - who has 1 year of big game production AND it came against a softer schedule than Allen - vs teams that were down 30 by half time. No wonder he had god like production - it's not hard when the other team is having to pass 3/3 downs with little to no hope. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:40 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Who writes this stuff?  I imagine he would think he is the best player in the draft.  He's supposed to.  For public consumption anyway. 

I'll tell you what bothers me about these guys.  They proclaim with great bravado how they should be considered the "best" player in the draft, then, for one reason or another, either beg out of the combine, parts of it, or their pro day.  This goes for almost all of them. 

If they're so confident in their remarkable skills put it out there for all to see.  That's what "the best" should, and would do. Talk is cheap.

Didn't  he work out at the combine?

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I am not yet done looking at film, but my initial thought is...

Quinnen Williams is the best player in the draft. 

He is bigger than Bosa and Allen.  Stronger than Bosa and Allen.  And looks equally quick on film.... Williams can dominate a game at the LOS.  I am not sure the other two can.  Game changing sacks, probably.   But dominate a game?  I dont know.

Based on my initial assessment,  INITIAL, if QW is there at #3 it would take a whale of a deal for me to trade down.  The guy is a monster.

I feel the same way. What's more it doesn't  even look like Williams was being challenged by the other team. He pretty much appeared to do whatever he wanted to. This guy can wreck games.

43 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Yes, but not at his pro day.  Same with Bosa.  Same with Williams.  It's all of them.  Weak. Kyler Murray too.  Haskins was the only top profile "recruit" to do both the combine and his pro day.  

Ok, so he worked out at the combine. Why does he need to do the same workout again at the pro-day if he likes the numbers he put out at the combine? If he had worse numbers at his pro-day that would hurt him. It's not lazy, its smart. 

10 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think you are evaluating too much from just the bowl game.  His body of work doesn’t match what you are saying.  

Idk, I've watched a fair amount of tape as well and he doesn't jump off the page like Bosa or Williams. His stats support his case especially coming from the SEC, I felt like he was always running free at the QB or he's try to speed rush around the tackle. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it's definitely different than the power I saw from Bosa and Williams. He has a point on his health for sure though and that can't be understated. The best ability is availability.

7 hours ago, cant wait said:

I agree with this assessment. I'm worried he was schemed open a lot. Now he still needs to execute which he did but as I watch his highlights I don't get the "wow" like I see in Bosa and Williams.

I have no problem if the Jets take him at #3, I understand wanting to take him over Williams. For me this is a better version of the Leonard Williams vs Vic Beasley debate from 2015.

Archived