Kentucky's Josh Allen to visit Jets next week

stugotz81

Oh yeaaah!!

Kentucky's Josh Allen to visit Jets next week

usatsi_12280114.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Sam Neumann | 8 hours ago

Josh Allen will visit the Jets next week, according to ESPN’s Rich Cimini.

Allen, who will likely be a top three pick in next month’s draft, stuck with his combine testing results and just weighed/measured in on Friday at his pro day. Notably not in attendance was Mike Maccagnan, but that was probably because Allen is sticking with his combine results and meeting with the Jets in Florham Park next week.

With the Jets in desperate need of a pass-rusher, Allen presents himself as one of the best available options in Gregg Williams’ defense. New York is sticking to a 3-4 scheme for now and Allen is capable of putting his hand in the dirt or bull-rushing off the edge.

Allen fills a hole on the Jets roster that has not been correctly addressed for over 10 years now. From Eric Mangini to Adam Gase, the position has been a persistent issue. Taking Allen can change that.

Allen is being talked up as the second-best edge rusher in this class. He had 17 sacks and five forced fumbles for Kentucky this past season and totaled 31.5 for his career with the Wildcats. Unless Nick Bosa slips past San Francisco at No. 2, Allen presents himself as the Jets’ best chance at addressing their pass-rushing issue.

Allen’s motor and explosiveness are off the charts; his numbers at Kentucky speak for themselves after facing NFL caliber tackles in the SEC.

Next week’s visit may be a trial run for the real thing. If Allen hits it off with the Jets’ contingency, there is a very real possibility that they take him at No. 3 instead of trading back.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/23/kentucky-josh-allen-visit-jets-2019-nfl-draft/

8 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Do you trust our GM's ability to draft outside the first round? I don't. Bosa, Allen, and Williams in all likelihood will be pro bowl players. They are game changers. Pick one and be done with it.

Preachhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don’t understand the obsession with trading down when it’s almost a lock that 1 of the top 2 edge rushers is going to be there at 3 

I don't know what to make of this guy. I watch his highlights and it looks like he gets a lot of sacks without even being blocked. So it's a lot of "easy" sacks that pad the numbers. The thing is, sometimes the elite guys make those easy sacks look easy because they're so good. He does have a quick first step and long stride to the outside that he seems to get around OTs pretty easily with. I can see NFL OT's adjusting to that pretty quickly if he doesn't develop a strong counter move inside.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know what to make of this guy. I watch his highlights and it looks like he gets a lot of sacks without even being blocked. So it's a lot of "easy" sacks that pad the numbers. The thing is, sometimes the elite guys make those easy sacks look easy because they're so good. He does have a quick first step and long stride to the outside that he seems to get around OTs pretty easily with. I can see NFL OT's adjusting to that pretty quickly if he doesn't develop a strong counter move inside.

There was a sack when he went low to go under the grasp of an OT. 

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Preachhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don’t understand the obsession with trading down when it’s almost a lock that 1 of the top 2 edge rushers is going to be there at 3 

Well the obsession is that they get a #1 pick back next year, so they would have 2 1's next year. Plus this draft is pretty eep efensively

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Oh joy! Another DT. SMH. ??‍♂️ 

We don't  have a guy like this. He sheds blocks like they aren't  even in his way, he sacks QB'S  with one arm and throws them to the ground. He blocks passes and makes tackles from behind. For a guy of his size, he gets to the QB incredibly  fast. Who on the Jets can do any of that. 

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We don't  have a guy like this. He sheds blocks like they aren't  even in his way, he sacks QB'S  with one arm and throws them to the ground. He blocks passes and makes tackles from behind. For a guy of his size, he gets to the QB incredibly  fast. Who on the Jets can do any of that. 

Darron Lee LoL 

One thing I noticed about Josh Allen is he gets from here...to there like lightning. I watched him play 1 game just because I don't watch college ball & wanted to see what the hype was about. He caused a false start, had 3 sacks, CHASED DOWN ball carriers & ran with a TE with ease! 

This dude looks like he's really versatile & tackled very well, when he got a hold of you, you were going down. Guys this big, fast, with this kind of speed and strength don't come along every draft. Unlike Gholston, this guy is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. I would not be surprised if Allen came off the board at #2, he's got zero injury history either. 17 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, in the SEC? That's production at a high level!

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

One thing I noticed about Josh Allen is he gets from here...to there like lightning. I watched him play 1 game just because I don't watch college ball & wanted to see what the hype was about. He caused a false start, had 3 sacks, CHASED DOWN ball carriers & ran with a TE with ease! 

This dude looks like he's really versatile & tackled very well, when he got a hold of you, you were going down. Guys this big, fast, with this kind of speed and strength don't come along every draft. Unlike Gholston, this guy is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. I would not be surprised if Allen came off the board at #2, he's got zero injury history either. 17 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, in the SEC? That's production at a high level!

He seems to be less of a pass rusher exclusively and more of an all around player. Which is good. 

The Jets did the following surprising things:

• Announced that they are sticking with a 3-4 defense.
  • Signed a pure 3-4 ILB for big money.
  • Overpaid a good 3-4 DE. 
  • Other than Anthony Barr, were not really active in the 3-4 EDGE market (and that was reaching back to his college years 5 years ago-I think the Jets got lucky here).

All this to me points to the Jets planning on taking Allen with the 3rd pick in the draft.  

They probably should have been more aggressive with signing OL if they knew they were doing that, but if the Jets get a long term EDGE that is good for the team, in 2020.  They will need to hope for at least a good C to be around in rd 3, and that the Ts are healthy, for 2019 to be truly competitive.   I understand that for a team still building for really 2020-2021, paying big money for Morse or Paradis was stretching it.  I would have rolled the dice on Paradis, but he did not want to be in New Jersey.  I have friends in Paramus who have bear in their yard, so I don’t get the New Jersey is not country thing.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets did the following surprising things:

• Announced that they are sticking with a 3-4 defense.
  • Signed a pure 3-4 ILB for big money.
  • Overpaid a good 3-4 DE. 
  • Other than Anthony Barr, were not really active in the 3-4 EDGE market (and that was reaching back to his college years 5 years ago-I think the Jets got lucky here).

All this to me points to the Jets planning on taking Allen with the 3rd pick in the draft.  

I think this too unless they are blown away by an offer

41 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yet some would argue that he's not a great athlete. If you saw him play, the one thing that jumps out is his athleticism -- burst, quickness, bend -- physical hallmarks of an elite pass rusher. What he seems to be lacking is instinctive ability to read the play and react -- that could be a problem at the pro level. Bosa is great at the latter.

43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This kid is Jadeveon Clowney 2.0,  maybe 3.0, without the waiting period or uneven performance. He will be a better pro than Clowney, mark it down. Whether or not that makes him the Jets pick, I don't know.  What I do know is if they do indeed pick Josh Allen, I won't complain, and we won't be disappointed.

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He seems to be less of a pass rusher exclusively and more of an all around player. Which is good. 

I think your right but you only need to look at the guy in charge up there in New England, he believes versatility is superior to anything else on defense. 

With Josh Allens skills, you have LBs consisting of Lee- Williamson- Mosley- Jenkins with Safeties like Adams & Maye, they replaced Skrine with Poole, this defense could be lights out when they jell under Greg Williams. We will find out how bad Kacey Rogers was very quickly in 2019. 

Williams is an aggressive Mo Fo, I see us being crazy aggressive when playing with leads, none of that prevent sh*t. A guy like Josh Allen dropping back into coverage once in a while, while we're blitzing LBs & Safeties is invaluable being able to run with a TE or RB trying to slip out on a short blitz route. Josh closing speed would negate those quick routes instantly with his quick first step afterward falling back could be a fun defense to watch.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well the obsession is that they get a #1 pick back next year, so they would have 2 1's next year. Plus this draft is pretty eep efensively

Right but why pass on elite level edge rusher when that’s been our biggest need for like a decade?  I guess maybe it would make more sense if I had faith in our GM but apart from Herndon he hasn’t hit on anything solid from the #6 pick and on 

5 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Right but why pass on elite level edge rusher when that’s been our biggest need for like a decade?  I guess maybe it would make more sense if I had faith in our GM but apart from Herndon he hasn’t hit on anything solid from the #6 pick and on 

QB was the biggest need for the last decade by far and it’s time to protect him and get him playmakers. 

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Just because you think he's going to blow those picks doesn't mean the process should be wrong. 

11 minutes ago, freestater said:

I'm starting to think he won't even be there 

I agree. Murray, Williams, "WITH THE 3rd pick in the 2019 NFL draft, the NY Jets select....Nick Bosa, Defensive End, Ohio State. 

Helluva consolation prize. Many, many draftnicks believe Nick has better bend than his brother Joey. If we don't move from #3, I'll be happy with any of Williams, Bosa, Allen. Great spot to be in. 

4 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Do you trust our GM's ability to draft outside the first round? I don't. Bosa, Allen, and Williams in all likelihood will be pro bowl players. They are game changers. Pick one and be done with it.

I do. We need more than a #3 pick to make this team a true contender.

We can still buy a pass rusher in free agency.

if he trades down say gets a 1st rd pick in the 10-15 range + a 2nd and say a 3rd, we can still get a good 1st day starter on the OLine, get a Center with the 2nd pick then find a possible deep threat WR with the 3rd. Done

Super bowl

Yep. He may be a nice player but it’s highly unlikely that he will be the 15 sack a year guy. It’s more likely that he will disappoint. Even if he ends up being decent.

NFL tackles will easily handle what he’s done in college. I see bust all over this fella.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived