Rank The Jets, By Decade, From Best To Worst

TuscanyTile2

First some definitions:

-I'm defining a decade as being from '00-'09 (as opposed to '01-'10, which some people do).  So, for example, 1970-1979 is a decade (rather than 1971-1980).

-Also, let's eliminate any confusion with post-season being played the following calendar year. So, for example, a game played in January 2010 counts toward the 2009 season (and, thus, the 2000's decade) because that season started in the 00's.  

The 1960's were clearly the top decade (we won the SB) and the 1970's were the worst (missed the playoffs the entire decade).  I'll rank our decades as follows:

1960's

2000's

1980's

1990's

2010's

1970's

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/

image.png.434b209f423173863811f2c0867b4dac.pngimage.png.4cb0b75ef74126fd7f1345169bf748a5.png

At least we have that one Super Bowl victory to hang our hats on. Its miserable enough being a Jets fan but if we didn't have that one Super Bowl victory life would be even that more miserable. Its amazing that in almost 60 seasons we only have 4 division titles. Its mind boggling. 

4 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

At least we have that one Super Bowl victory to hang our hats on. Its miserable enough being a Jets fan but if we didn't have that one Super Bowl victory life would be even that more miserable. Its amazing that in almost 60 seasons we only have 4 division titles. Its mind boggling. 

One of our division titles was a 9-7 year too btw.  

We've also only won 12 games one time (and the NFL switched to a 16 game season ~40 years ago).  

28 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

disregarding Kotite, who was the worst head coach in Franchise History"

That would be one Mr. Toilet Bowles, proud owner of a 24-40 record.  Lou Holtz and Charlie Winner were pretty bad, but didn't last long enough, nor did they inflict the long lasting, never ending, excruciating pain that Todd did.  Hopefully, we'll never have another one like him.

Good thread - from a decade perspective, I will provide a different viewpoint for discussion, my ranks are as follows:

1960's - started as the Titans, had horrible record, Namath draft and SuperBowl puts this on top - reason they play the game

1990's - Tuna rebuild and the best chance at winning the SuperBowl since Joe 

1980's - New York Sack Exchange - gave the team identity after brutal 70's

2000's - Most wins in a decade and Rex was a blast but Circus and traitor BB lowers the decade rank, nice to celebrate playoffs but when rival is winning SB's  it can't be the best...

2010's

1970's 

37 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Good thread - from a decade perspective, I will provide a different viewpoint for discussion, my ranks are as follows:

1960's - started as the Titans, had horrible record, Namath draft and SuperBowl puts this on top - reason they play the game

1990's - Tuna rebuild and the best chance at winning the SuperBowl since Joe 

1980's - New York Sack Exchange - gave the team identity after brutal 70's

2000's - Most wins in a decade and Rex was a blast but Circus and traitor BB lowers the decade rank, nice to celebrate playoffs but when rival is winning SB's  it can't be the best...

2010's

1970's 

I like the logic of your rankings.  I totally hear you on the 1990's because that truly was the Jets' best chance to win the SB (in my lifetime at least).  Having a real shot to win it all should trump multiple playoff appearances (as happened in the 1980's).  I think I would re-rank as:

1960's: We won a SB

1990's: Had an absolutely legit chance to win the Superbowl in 1998.  If only we held onto that 10-0 2nd half lead in Denver (sigh!)  That one season moves the entire decade up to 2nd in the rankings despite Kotite and plenty of SOJ moments

1980's: Even though there was a lot of pain attached to this decade, it actually was a lot of fun.  We had the sack exchange.  We had the 51-45 shootout against Miami.  We had 4 interesting playoff seasons (all ending in painful playoff losses) where the team seemed legitimately good.  We even had some fun playoff wins (Oakland, KC) and some memorable (though painful) playoff losses (the almost-comeback against Buffalo and the Gastineau late hit of Kosar).  I actually really enjoyed watching Ken O'Brien for a couple of seasons.

2000's: We almost seemed like a "normal team" in this decade.  We had ups and downs and some good playoff runs.

2010's: Awful so far (though, like the 1990's, this one has the potential to turn around quickly!)

1970's: Awful from top-to-bottom

Looking back, it's interesting that we appeared in the conference championship game in the 1980's, 1990's, 2000's and 2010's.   (1982, 1998, 2009, 2010).  I wonder how many teams have done that.

BEST TEN YEAR RUN: 2001 through 2010

Regular Season Record: 82-78

Winning Record: 7 seasons out of 10

Points Scored By Jets: 3,227 Points Scored By Opposition: 3,092 DIFFERENCE: +135

AFC East Champs: 2002

Qualified for the Playoffs: 6 out of 10 seasons

Winning Record in the Playoffs: 6-5

10 of 11 Playoff games played on the Road

Wild Card Playoffs Record: 4-2

Divisional Playoffs Record: 2-2

Conference Championship Record: 0-2

Signature Moment: Beating the #1 seed Patriots, who went 14-2 during the 2010 season, in the Divisional Playoffs at Gillette Stadium 28-21

Identity: Ground and Pound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjCANMvs-Y

Archived