Remaining EDGE defenders in free agency

Jetsfan80

Based on PFF grades, here are the top EDGE rushers available in free agency, if we choose to kick the tires on any prior to the draft, with the latest updates on each.

1. DE Ziggy Ansah, 29 (74.5):  Bills have shown interest, but are reportedly "at a standstill" as of Mar 21
  2. OLB Aaron Lynch, 26, (73.6):  Visited Colts Mar 20
  3. DE Benson Mayowa, 27 (73.3)
  4. OLB Matt Longacre, 27 (68.5)
  5. OLB Pernell McPhee, 30 (68.4)
  6. DE Adrian Clayborn, 30 (67.7):  Cut by Patriots Mar 15
  7. OLB Brandon Copeland, 27 (67.4):  Redskins reportedly have interest as of Mar 18
  8. DE Dion Jordan, 29 (66.6)
  9. DE Derrick Shelby, 30 (63.7)
  10. OLB Sam Acho, 30 (62.8):  Cut by Bears Mar 5
  11. OLB Jamie Collins, 29 (62.3):  Cut by Browns Mar 6
  12. OLB Derrick Morgan, 30 (61.9)
  13. DE Frostee Rucker, 35 (61.9)
  14. OLB Eli Harold, 25 (58.6)
  15. DE/OLB Shane Ray, 25 (58.2):  Visited Colts Mar 22
  16. DE Cassius Marsh, 26 (58.1):  Cut by 49ers Mar 15
  17. DE Kony Ealy, 27 (57.8)
  18. DE Michael Johnson, 32 (57.6)
  19. DE Zach Moore, 28 (57.2):  Cardinals elected not to tender as ERFA on Mar 8
  20. OLB Frank Zombo, 32 (55.9)
  21. OLB Kasim Edebali, 30 (54.8)
  22. DE Jacqueies Smith, 29 (53.2)
  23. DE Nick Perry, 29 (53.1):  Cut by Packers on Mar 12

It's strange we haven't discussed Aaron Lynch yet here, or at least if he has, I haven't seen it.  That's probably because he's more of a situational pass rusher.  Still, he had 12.5 sacks over his first 2 seasons in the league, and had 3.0 last season.  And he's still fairly young.  He could be an under the radar and relatively cheap addition as an EDGE at the OLB spot. 

Beyond that, there's not much to be had.  Ansah is too expensive.  A guy like Pernell McPhee is too old.  So barring anything surprising, we should probably just bring back Copeland. 

The Jets have received a lot of criticism for failing to address the edge rusher position in the wake of the Anthony Barr debacle.  Judging from this list, who can blame them?  They'll obviously look to the draft for the remedy.  Re-signing Copeland at a reasonable figure also would help.  Want no part of Ansah.  Damaged goods for a premium price.  No way.

Slim pickings. It’s almost a slam dunk if Allen is there at 3, he has to be the pick. With numerous positions that need to be upgraded, edge fills the biggest need right now. As it stands we need an edge, a center, a tackle (or two), and a corner. Of course, Rome wasn’t built in a day. We’ve hit a home run in getting a FQB, the best RB in the  league and an outstanding ILB so that’s a good start in making the Jets competitive. With 3 picks in the first 3 rounds, we can get an edge and, however Macc plays it, a couple OL or a CB. Hopefully, we can trade one of our ‘assets’ that don’t figure in our plans (hint hint) packaged with one of our later picks and get a much needed 2nd rounder. 

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Yeah ... Also really are these all that much better than what was out there? I wasn't big fan of the guy available...

But it seems like the Jets are not even going after any of these guy, at least bring a couple in

I agree. There's still a gaping hole at the position. To rely on a rookie (assuming either Allen/Bosa are there) seems a bit foolish.

I always believed in the philosophy that "you can never have too many edge rushers". I'm not sure Mac feels that way.

Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Dion Jordan. Former 3rd overall pick with substance abuse and injury history. I wouldn't rely on him for anything but he flashed in his last appearance on the field at the end of 2017 for the Seahawks with 4 sacks in 5 games. He missed 2018 after a knee surgery. Probably doesn't work out but worth a look in camp/preseason.

I'm sure Williams is being consulted on everything going on in free agency, who is available, and Barr was their target & they swung & missed (they hooked him but he wiggled free). 

Signing Barr was a preemptive strike to give them flexibility at #3 had they been staring at Quinnen Williams, Bosa or Josh Allen. If they signed Barr, they would have gone Q.Williams & maybe even moved Leo. 

All is not lost, because we're sitting pretty at 3 anyway. Bosa or Allen will be there when we pick. We need an edge rusher & the one of the 2 best in this draft will likely be there. While I would have loved to get EVERYTHING we needed in free agency before the draft, sitting at #3 with two 3rd rounders, it's not out of the realm of possibility for our Jets to come away with a pass rusher & a young future Center with that high 3rd. Don't be surprised if we MOVE UP if a center we target slip close to that high 3rd. Sam is going to be 22, most realistic Jet fans have 2020 as our takeoff point. That doesn't mean we can't make waves this year, similar to what Parcells did with the Jets in 1997.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-combine-results-montez-sweat-quinnen-williams-devin-white-josh-allen-dominate/

2019 NFL combine results: Montez Sweat, Quinnen Williams, Devin White, Josh Allen dominate EDGE, DL, LB workouts

Takeaways from all the action at the NFL combine in Indianapolis on Sunday

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:09 pm ET

We now have three days of combine coverage in the books, and the thing that was made clear on Sunday is that this is a defensive draft. From the guys in the mix to go No. 1 like Ohio State edge rusher Nick Bosa and Kentucky's Josh Allen to freak athletes like Mississippi State edge rusher Montez Sweat, Alabama defensive lineman Quinnen Williams and LSU linebacker Devin White, it's clear this is a great year to be looking for a playmaker for the front seven if you have a top 15 pick.

But those weren't the only guys to stand out on Sunday. Michigan's Devin Bush solidified his status as a Round 1 linebacker, while his teammate Rashan Gary also did a great job running through drills. We'll have more on each position group below.

Earlier this week, our Chris Trapasso broke down what each drill is meant to measure, along with players who could leap off the screen in each. While you're following the action, you can also track our latest mock drafts and prospect rankings. Follow along below as we track everything that's happening in Indianapolis at the NFL combine. 

How to watch the combine 

Coverage of the combine events will begin at 9 a.m. ET on Monday.

• TV: NFL Network
  • Streaming: NFL.com, NFL Mobile app, fuboTV (try for free)

Edge rusher takeaways 

Montez Sweat ran the best relative 40-yard dash of this year's combine, officially clocking a ridiculous 4.41 seconds at 260 pounds. It was the single best 40 time for a defensive lineman since 2003. And he didn't take the rest of the day off either, showing great footwork in the stack-and-shed drill and good power turning the corner with his swim move. He could be a top-10 pick after this weekend, and I wouldn't be shocked if he lands in the top five depending on how the QBs shake out.  

If it wasn't for Sweat, we would be freaking out more about Michigan's Rashan Gary running a 4.58-second 40 at 277 pounds. He looked smooth through the wave drill and exhibited great footwork in the four-bag. He did have some weirdness on the change-of-direction drill, spinning the wrong way and then slipping around the corner, but for the most part he impressed. For evaluators, it'll be squaring his lack of production at Michigan with his undeniable athleticism.  

Ohio State's Nick Bosa didn't do anything to hurt his status as the top player in the draft. After running a 4.79-second 40-yard dash at 266 pounds, he looked like a prototype running through drills, and he might be even better in space than we thought, as he looked great in the wave drill and changing direction, though he did miss a bag while running the stack and shed.  

Clemson's Clelin Ferrell didn't run the 40, so his only chance to impress on the field was running drills. He showed well initially changing direction in the wave drill, but seemed to stumble a bit around the corner on his swim move. He's going to make his money rushing the passer, but he looks like he can play in space on occasion if asked as well.  

Florida State's Brian Burns had the second-best 40 at his position with a 4.53, a great time after he measured in at a heavier-than-expected 249 pounds. He was solid running through early drills but really came on toward the end, showing great change of direction and the ability to turn the corner to chase down ball-carriers. He looked like a natural out in space and tracking the ball. The team that drafts him will want to utilize all his skills and potentially have him in a Bruce Irvin-type role where he can rush the passer but also cover the field.  

Florida's Jachai Polite ran a 4.84 40 on his first try but sustained a hamstring injury and had to call it a day. Disappointing to not be able to compare him to other potential first-rounders in the drills.  

Once you get past the bigger names, the guy who jumped off the screen the most was Michigan's Chase Winovich. He wasn't expected to be one of the fastest guys on the day but he was just that, ranking fourth behind Sweat, Burns and Gary with a 4.59 40 at 256 pounds. He then did a strong job in virtually every drill, looking fluid doing work in the trenches, efficient turning the corner and better than anticipated doing linebacker-type work out in space. I think he's a sleeper for the end of the first round.  

Defensive lineman takeaways 

Alabama's Quinnen Williams is an absolute beast. He blew the doors off the 40 with an unofficial 4.87 in his first 40, then topped it on his second run. His official time: 4.83 seconds. At 303 pounds, that's more impressive than what we saw from D.K. Metcalf on Saturday. Williams slipped a few times during a few of his drills, but he showed great technique throughout and proved why he's a top-three overall pick.  

Clemson's Christian Wilkins might not have leapt off the screen like some other players, but his 5.04 40 at 315 pounds is still excellent, and he looked great running through drills, a natural at his size. If the class didn't include Williams, he'd likely be getting more buzz.  

Wilkins' Clemson teammate Dexter Lawrence impressed running a 5.05 40 at 342 pounds, but he suffered a quad injury on his first attempt and had to pull out of the rest of the day. Unfortunate for a guy that many people were excited to see at the combine, hopefully he'll be all good for his pro day.  

Notre Dame's Jerry Tillery is a physical specimen. After delivering one of the best 40 times of the day at 4.93, he looked great running through drills, showing his smoothness on the four-bag and the ability to change direction and exhibit excellent burst throughout the day. Could be a great find at the end of Round 1.  

Ohio State's Dre'Mont Jones "only" had a 5.12 40 time at 281 pounds, but he showed his stuff in the drills, exhibiting some great burst and really doing a good job in the stack-and-shed drill. He'll be in the mix for Day 1 but should be a top-50 pick either way.  

UCF's Trysten Hill was fun to watch. After putting up a 5.04 on the 40 at 308 pounds, he gave max effort on every drill while displaying twitchiness, burst and bendiness, which while typically isn't a big deal for a defensive tackle shows you his athleticism. Hill is someone who made a great impression with his work today.  

Linebacker takeaways

Kentucky's Josh Allen ran with the linebackers for some reason, though he's going to be an edge player at the pro level at 262 pounds. When compared to the best of the LBs, his 4.63 40 doesn't look all that great, but put it up next to Bosa's 4.79 at 266 pounds and you see how strong it is. In drills, Josh Allen showed great change of direction and good hands, which those teams with 3-4 defenses picking high will love to see.  

LSU's Devin White showed why he's the top true linebacker in the class, following up a position-best 4.42 40-yard dash by looking smooth through every drill. In particular he showed great burst at the end of drills when other guys might be looking to wind down. Speaks to his ability to finish plays. I don't think he makes it out of the top 15.  

Michigan's Devin Bush had the first big 40 time of the position with a 4.43, then he got cheated on the drills a bit as most of them happened during the commercial break. In one we did see, he stumbled a bit while running the wave drill. He then looked crisp getting around the corner in the pass rush drill. A good day overall for him.  

Getting past the big names, Texas's Gary Johnson really jumped off the screen. It wasn't a surprise the former track star was able to run a 4.43 in the 40, but after getting caught guessing a bit in the first drill, he really settled in, looking fluid in the four-bag, smooth changing direction and great hands in hauling in picks. There are questions about his ability to work in space, but he's a heck of an athlete who could be a real find with the right coaching.  

Washington's Ben Burr-Kirven is a favorite of our Chris Trapasso, and watching on Sunday it was easy to see why. His 4.56 40 was faster than many expected, and he continued to impress in the drills, doing a good job of getting his hips turned when changing direction and showing nice hands when going after picks. He's not going to be a high pick but he could really outpace his draft slot.  

2 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Macc needs to make a splash. Give the Cowboys a call and offer Leonard Williams and 2020 first rounder for Demarcus Lawrence. The Jets then draft Q Williams.

I like this except for the draft Q Williams part. Trade down on top of that trade would be amazing. 

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

"Jets expected to draft Allen" is based SOLELY on Cimini saying the Jets will focus on an edge rusher in the coming draft.  Horrible, horrible 'reporting'.

Which is based on idle chatter among "NFL types" 

2 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Macc needs to make a splash. Give the Cowboys a call and offer Leonard Williams and 2020 first rounder for Demarcus Lawrence. The Jets then draft Q Williams.

Hell no thats way too much. Just give them what SF gave KC to get Dee Ford

The Jets should be trying harder to sign Copeland. I think Mac needs to work on loyalty more.   This is a people business. 

Myers, Roberts and Copeland should have been rewarded for good performances on a bad team.  Not good for Roberts to mouth off. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So instead of feeling free to trade down as we should we are going to be forced to draft a pass rusher at 3 because mac has failed to come close at all to filling that hole which is what you do in free agency.

There are scenarios where we can trade down and still fill the pass rusher void a few slots down.  There are an unusually high number of pass rushers in this year's class.  It doesn't HAVE to be Bosa or Allen.

47 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets should be trying harder to sign Copeland. I think Mac needs to work on loyalty more.   This is a people business. 

Myers, Roberts and Copeland should have been rewarded for good performances on a bad team.  Not good for Roberts to mouth off. 

Myers, Roberts and Copeland have had erratic careers and may not be worth the contracts or value they have placed on themselves. Remember the last player Mac showed loyalty to Fitz how did that turn out? I was in favor of that signing MY MISTAKE. After that debacle I have no issue if all 3 walk.

56 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There are scenarios where we can trade down and still fill the pass rusher void a few slots down.  There are an unusually high number of pass rushers in this year's class.  It doesn't HAVE to be Bosa or Allen.

I agree i just do not have the confidence that our gm will not just take the highest rated player.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So instead of feeling free to trade down as we should we are going to be forced to draft a pass rusher at 3 because mac has failed to come close at all to filling that hole which is what you do in free agency.

most teams keep their edge guys.  their premier edge guys

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I like Copeland well enough, but it is a new coaching staff.  He may not be the best fit. I remember there was always some question about whether he should be OLB or DE.  The three guys you mention are all special teamers. I prefer that we concentrate on the roster.

6 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

No Mac doesn't need to do that.  Lawrence is in need of shoulder surgery. He has had a couple back surgeries and a foot surgery.  He is at the peak and he will drop off a cliff soon.

Archived