We need to change this teams free agent/drafting philosophy

Villain The Foe

I've followed this teams dysfunction and taste for overall stupidity for decades. Sure, we haven't had a legit pass rusher since Abraham, but that wasn't due to not trying...since pass rusher is of course defense after all. The Jets attempted to address this position throughout various rounds in the draft over a span of a decade. 

We drafted Vernon Gholston in the 1st round in 2008, Quinton Coples in the 1st round in 2012, Trevor Riley in the 7th round in 2014, IK Enkempali in the 6th round in 2014, Lorenzo Mauldin in the 3rd round in 2015 and Darron Lee in the 1st round in 2016. 

And this is excluding signings that the Jets made to fill this position in free agency such as signing veterans like Jason Taylor from Miami. 

So just like that we can see that the Jets brought in atleast 7 pass rushers since John Abraham's departure, with three of them being 1st round investments. And its not like the good pass rushers were all drafted before the Jets were on the board. Just in 2012 alone the Jets drafted Coples and left Melvin Ingram and Chandler Jones on the board. In 2015 the Jets drafted Leo Williams even though we had Snacks, Wilkerson, Richardson and Douzable even though Vic Beasley was on the board. And even if folks look at Beasley as an overrated player, Danielle Hunter was drafted in the 3rd round, and that's after we drafted Lorenzo Mauldin. So again, Macc and the Jets are continuously swinging and missing on the same positions while thinking that just because they drafted a QB then everything on the offensive side of the all is essentially good to go. 

When's the last time we invested in the offense or protecting our QB like that? What have we done to seriously replace Brandon Moore, Damian Woody, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold and Alan Faneca? We brought in James Carpenter, which was a solid pick up and drafted Brian Winters which is an inconsistently average player. Since drafting Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010, the Jets has essentially regulated the offensive line to mid to late round picks, and those are few and far between. The earliest pick we've taken is Winters in the 3rd in 2013. Since then We've drafted Jarvis Harrison, Brandon Shell and Dakota Dozier. two 5th's and a 4th round pick. We've invested one 3rd round pick to the Oline since 2013, 1 2nd round pick since 2010 and just two 1st round picks since 2006, and both those picks occurred in 2006. 

The Jets have been absolutely reckless with this position group/offensive side of the ball. Meanwhile since 2006 the Jets have drafted 9 QB's. NINE of them! two of those QB's being 1st round picks and the other 2 being 2nd round picks. 

Meanwhile we've provided them with no respectable draft value at Oline, RB or WR. 

I can literally predict this team. This year we're going to talk about how "extremely appealing a pass rusher is this year. We'll draft one, and we're going to go into the season with Trumaine Johnson at CB and whoever will be opposite him. Then next season when Sam Darnold needs offensive linemen and offensive weapons on the outside (as he needs right now), the draft will once again be a "defense heavy" draft and we're going to talk about "how appealing it is" to draft a Cornerback to either fill in opposite Johnson or to replace Johnson. Then im going to talk about how we need to rebuild the Oline and folks are going to tell me how we need to pair a shutdown Corner to assist with our new pass rusher. The story never changes.

And just like the pass rusher position, all the Jets have done was also invest top draft picks into the secondary as well as top dollar free agent money. Passing on MVP/ProBowl caliber QB's in order to draft Safety in the 1st and then 2nd rounds. lol. 

Trust me, nothing has to sink in for me. I've seen all the stupidity this team has to offer. And its easy to explain. Drafting offensive linemen isnt "sexy or splashy". It's boring and it doesnt get the fanbase hyped. Drafting corner, DT and pass rusher does. So that's all we do. 

We're going to provide Sam Darnold with nothing, then wonder why he failed. And when we have to draft another 9 QB's after Sam Darnold, the first thing we're going to get them in the draft are a pass rusher, a defensive tackle and a cornerback....because those are sexy. And if you bust in the draft department, make sure you spend over 100 million in one free agency to revamp the secondary, only to see that secondary begin to dismantle after just 2 seasons. 

Yeah, that's how the "Jest" should build and balance their football team.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not really much to add here. The GM is a drolling, pants-sh*tting moron who’s probably going to ruin Darnold, and there’s absolutely nothing any of us can do but sit here and watch it happen.

No, no. This time it’s different.

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not really much to add here. The GM is a drolling, pants-sh*tting moron who’s probably going to ruin Darnold, and there’s absolutely nothing any of us can do but sit here and watch it happen.

The greatest attribute we saw in Darnold last year Is he will play his balls off no matter how hard the Jets try and screw him up. As a historically young inexperienced rookie he actually closed the season out with a damn nice few games in spite of glaring ineptitude by the front office. So... good news is it will take longer to ruin him than most. So cheer up chum! 

To be fair I think he did change his FA strategy this year. 

Every year players hit free agency and they are usually all flawed-especially premium positions such as a edge,OL, CB, and outside WR. 

The guys that make it to free agency are typically either older (Revis and Trumaine) or guys in their prime that are decent, but will get paid like they are top 3 at the position (Vernon).

This year McCagnan went for guys in their prime who have been top players at their position (Bell,Crowder,Mosley), but severely overpaid based on positional value in the NFL. Although who would you rather pay 17MM next CJ Mosely or Trumaine Johnson? I think everyone would take Mosely. 

We will see how it works, but I think there is enough evidence to support the notion that sitting out free agency entirely is right answer. Look at what the Colts did as an example of how a team should approach this period. 

34 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've followed this teams dysfunction and taste for overall stupidity for decades. Sure, we haven't had a legit pass rusher since Abraham, but that wasn't due to not trying...since pass rusher is of course defense after all. The Jets attempted to address this position throughout various rounds in the draft over a span of a decade. 

We drafted Vernon Gholston in the 1st round in 2008, Quinton Coples in the 1st round in 2012, Trevor Riley in the 7th round in 2014, IK Enkempali in the 6th round in 2014, Lorenzo Mauldin in the 3rd round in 2015 and Darron Lee in the 1st round in 2016. 

And this is excluding signings that the Jets made to fill this position in free agency such as signing veterans like Jason Taylor from Miami. 

So just like that we can see that the Jets brought in atleast 7 pass rushers since John Abraham's departure, with three of them being 1st round investments. And its not like the good pass rushers were all drafted before the Jets were on the board. Just in 2012 alone the Jets drafted Coples and left Melvin Ingram and Chandler Jones on the board. In 2015 the Jets drafted Leo Williams even though we had Snacks, Wilkerson, Richardson and Douzable even though Vic Beasley was on the board. And even if folks look at Beasley as an overrated player, Danielle Hunter was drafted in the 3rd round, and that's after we drafted Lorenzo Mauldin. So again, Macc and the Jets are continuously swinging and missing on the same positions while thinking that just because they drafted a QB then everything on the offensive side of the all is essentially good to go. 

When's the last time we invested in the offense or protecting our QB like that? What have we done to seriously replace Brandon Moore, Damian Woody, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold and Alan Faneca? We brought in James Carpenter, which was a solid pick up and drafted Brian Winters which is an inconsistently average player. Since drafting Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010, the Jets has essentially regulated the offensive line to mid to late round picks, and those are few and far between. The earliest pick we've taken is Winters in the 3rd in 2013. Since then We've drafted Jarvis Harrison, Brandon Shell and Dakota Dozier. two 5th's and a 4th round pick. We've invested one 3rd round pick to the Oline since 2013, 1 2nd round pick since 2010 and just two 1st round picks since 2006, and both those picks occurred in 2006. 

The Jets have been absolutely reckless with this position group/offensive side of the ball. Meanwhile since 2006 the Jets have drafted 9 QB's. NINE of them! two of those QB's being 1st round picks and the other 2 being 2nd round picks. 

Meanwhile we've provided them with no respectable draft value at Oline, RB or WR. 

I can literally predict this team. This year we're going to talk about how "extremely appealing a pass rusher is this year. We'll draft one, and we're going to go into the season with Trumaine Johnson at CB and whoever will be opposite him. Then next season when Sam Darnold needs offensive linemen and offensive weapons on the outside (as he needs right now), the draft will once again be a "defense heavy" draft and we're going to talk about "how appealing it is" to draft a Cornerback to either fill in opposite Johnson or to replace Johnson. Then im going to talk about how we need to rebuild the Oline and folks are going to tell me how we need to pair a shutdown Corner to assist with our new pass rusher. The story never changes.

And just like the pass rusher position, all the Jets have done was also invest top draft picks into the secondary as well as top dollar free agent money. Passing on MVP/ProBowl caliber QB's in order to draft Safety in the 1st and then 2nd rounds. lol. 

Trust me, nothing has to sink in for me. I've seen all the stupidity this team has to offer. And its easy to explain. Drafting offensive linemen isnt "sexy or splashy". It's boring and it doesnt get the fanbase hyped. Drafting corner, DT and pass rusher does. So that's all we do. 

We're going to provide Sam Darnold with nothing, then wonder why he failed. And when we have to draft another 9 QB's after Sam Darnold, the first thing we're going to get them in the draft are a pass rusher, a defensive tackle and a cornerback....because those are sexy. And if you bust in the draft department, make sure you spend over 100 million in one free agency to revamp the secondary, only to see that secondary begin to dismantle after just 2 seasons. 

Ik,  Mauldin, Riley, Lee (who isn’t a pass rusher), Taylor, a bust in Gholston. Really? That’s your analysis of putting valuables resources in getting a top notch pass rusher? Hardly. Yes Gholston was a top 5 pick and monster bust. It happens. If Gholston had been as advertised this team would have flourished at that juncture. He set us back eons. But your point is well made. It all falls on Idzik and Macc’s incompetence in drafting bust after bust after bust. Not taking Beasley was a huge oversight. Falls on Macc. As it stands now we have gaping holes filled by JAGS. We spent two top picks on freakin safeties. Dumb and dumber, Mind boggling. We drafted 2 WR’s in the 3rd and 4th round respectively that were cut faster than Macc drinks a pot of coffee. And on and on and on. We only have 3  picks in the top 100.  Just no way to get all these positions of need filled with 3 picks. Macc has to wheel and deal, trade dead, expensive weight and cut losses. We need more picks. I’d trade Leo and his 14 million and Lee as well. Whatever we can get is gravy. Then plug and play those positions of need: Edge, Center, Guard, OT, NT, CB. Yes these are ALL positions of need. This draft, next year’s draft and FA should propel us into contention. 

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Another, lets draft someone at 3 who shouldnt be drafted at 3, over someone who deserves to be drafted at 3 beacause I swear the OL will get Darnold killed.  This time I may be right thread.

Here’s the thing. We draft an edge rusher and he beats Sam up in practice because we have a crappy OL to protect him. We don’t draft a OL and draft an edge which gets Sam beat up during the season. Either way he gets beat up. Either way he’s going to get beat up.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Drafting Williams was a no brainer. Snacks, Richardson were soon to be free agents. We just signed Wilkerson to a big money deal. We had Williams on a rookie deal, if we couldn't or didn't want to retain snacks and richardson

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I've been following Jets boards since the early 2000s, I've never seen the fanbase in such a full deranged froth for OL quite like this year. 

Many of us have been in a froth since mac took over and our two pro bowlers mangold and dbrick retired.

The Jets under mccagnan have ut less draft resources into the oline than ANY other team in the league.

The Jets under mccagnan have fully known we were going to get a young franchise QB sooner or later in his tenure.

The oline frothing is 100% justified.

25 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Here’s the thing. We draft an edge rusher and he beats Sam up in practice because we have a crappy OL to protect him. We don’t draft a OL and draft an edge which gets Sam beat up during the season. Either way he gets beat up. Either way he’s going to get beat up.

I know.  Same as last season when people were actually saying he should stay on the bench because he was going to get killed behind that OL.  Players were named who would perform the execution.  Ansah.  Von Miller.  Etc. 

Never happened.  The obsession with predicting his demise continues.

27 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

This thread is upsetting my stomach.  We almost ruined Sam, please don’t do the same.  Kid’s potential is through the roof, just don’t let him - and the skilled players do it alone. 

This is my biggest fear and why I was so adamant about firing Mac along with Bowles. We probably struck absolute gold with Darnold. We need to support him enough and protect him so he can reach his potential and elevate the whole team since I believe he is that type of QB. He has the it factor.

This team can very easily hold him back and have him flounder which will ultimately lead to him leaving in FA for a better situation. You can’t “ruin” a great QB but you can really hold him back and make him struggle. Sam proved last year that he’s too good to be “ruined” by incompetence from the coach and GM. Injuries are his main threat with our o-line neglect so that’s my main concern right now. 

I really hope we can be at least average with coaching and roster building going forward so he has a chance. If we had a great coach AND GM, I could very easily see Sam winning us a Super Bowl. I just have zero faith in the current GM (despite a good offseason so far), until I see results and actual quality drafting along with prioritizing o-line/offense more to support Sam. 

I honestly think the Jets system is designed for Mac to think he is drafting good picks  and not to build a team that wins football games.

The only way to evaluate a GM is on record. If he can blame the coach, it’s all messed up.  The record with Mac as GM is not good.  

We will know by Macs draft picks are on the right track.  If I were him I would trade next year’s first for this year’s picks. 

11 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Question do the Jets really need a change of philosophy or better player evaluation. For me it’s evaluation.

It’s both. The philosophy of prioritizing top 10 draft picks on non-premium positions that could be had in FA, is the foundation of the problem. Terrible evaluation and drafting players that don’t fit the scheme is the other. I blame the scheme fitting issues on Bowles because he’s possibly the dumbest human being alive. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's amazing how so many find ways to regurgitate the same talking points in multiple  ways but I think this one takes the cake. Seriously, you would have taken Beasly over Leo? Leo fell to us. He was thought to be the best player in the draft. And what the Hell has Beasley done anyway. He had one amazing year and 3 where he didn't show up. Atlanta doesn't  even start him in nearly half the games he plays in. And thank you for mentioning we need OL help, like that isn't  posted in every other thread started here. I mean seriously, what happened, did someone scare you with a picture of Mac holding a cup of coffee talking to Q Williams at the combine?

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

To be fair I think he did change his FA strategy this year. 

Every year players hit free agency and they are usually all flawed-especially premium positions such as a edge,OL, CB, and outside WR. 

The guys that make it to free agency are typically either older (Revis and Trumaine) or guys in their prime that are decent, but will get paid like they are top 3 at the position (Vernon).

This year McCagnan went for guys in their prime who have been top players at their position (Bell,Crowder,Mosley), but severely overpaid based on positional value in the NFL. Although who would you rather pay 17MM next CJ Mosely or Trumaine Johnson? I think everyone would take Mosely. 

We will see how it works, but I think there is enough evidence to support the notion that sitting out free agency entirely is right answer. Look at what the Colts did as an example of how a team should approach this period. 

You do realize you cant just keep sitting out of free agency. Teams must spend a certain amount of cap

Archived