We need to change this teams free agent/drafting philosophy

Villain The Foe

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

this thread talks about the demand side it says nothing about supply 

when's the last time a DBrick came out of college? When's the last real LT that came out? 

Offensive Tackles:

Joe Thomas (Future HOF'er) 2007

Joe Staley 2007

Ryan Clady 2008

Duane Brown 2008

Jake Long 2008

Trent Williams (Future HOF'er) 2010

Tyron Smith (Future HOF'er) 2011

Lane Johnson 2013

David Bakhtiari 2013

Taylor Lewan 2014

That's 10 names who have produced the same amount of accolades as D'Brick in terms of Pro Bowls. D'Brick was never an all-pro and a few of these guys were also all-pros and atleast 4 of them are future hall of famers if they ended their career right now. 

Now you may be asking "What happened to 2015-present"? The same thing that happened from 2006. D'Brick was drafted in 2006 but didn't become a pro bowler until 2009. Many of these guys drafted the past few years are coming into their own now. The point is, there is no supply problem if you look at the above names. 

And these names dont even mention the guys who were OT's that moved to guard and became solid players such as Joel Bitonio and Andrus Peat and Marshal Yanda (another future HOF'er). 

We need help at Tackle, Center and guard so it isnt like we're solely looking for LT. If wanted to I could do the same thing for guards and Centers just so I can thoroughly drive home the fact that there is no supply issue, just stupid general managers. 

The Dallas Cowboys drafted their entire offensive line along with their #1 RB and QB and TE. They also drafted Dez Bryant before letting him go as well. They built their entire offense in the draft. 

You can say the same thing with their defense. The Cowboys got their pass rusher in the 2nd round (Demarcus Lawrence). Byron Jones is one of the top CB's in the league, they drafted him out of UConn. They drafted their entire linebacking core with is one of the best young LB groups in all of football. Jeff Heath was undrafted but was picking up by the Cowboys and is low-key one of the best Strong Safeties in the National Football league. Top 5 easily. 

The Cowboys built their entire offensive line with 1st and 2nd round picks excluding La'el Collins, which would have been a 1st round pick if not for that situation that occurred before the draft. 

The Cowboys invested in that Oline and found their QB in the 4th round, a QB that wouldn't really be as good as he is without that Oline given his skillset/weaknesses. They got their future HOF TE in the 3rd round and their RB in the 1st who's also looking like a future HOF'er. 

And yet, this didn't stop the Cowboys from investing 1st round picks to the defense and developing players such as Byron Jones, doing a great job scouting wise and finding Lawrence in the 2nd round while also picking up guys with first round talent but was injured in later rounds such as Jaylon Smith. Or drafting another Boise guy in the 1st round in Vander Esch. 

The Cowboys almost never draft as high as the NY Jets, yet they didn't have a problem building their team, balancing top talent on both sides of the ball while at the same time throwing a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks at their entire offensive line and building arguably the best Oline in football over the past few years maximizing their RB, QB, TE and WR positions as a byproduct of that Oline. 

There is no talent supply problem. Macc is a trash GM. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that unless there is a can't miss OL high you wait on drafting OL. Otherwise you get Ereck Flowers etc.

OL doesnt seemed to be valued highly by most teams, in other words teams are more likely to reach for a pass rusher than an OL.

You see more Dion Jordan's and Vernon Gholstons and Aaron Maybins than Ereck Flowers and Chance Warmacks

That's another problem with OL. Because more and more teams are playing the spread, more and more OL are not being taught properly in full technique.

OL coaches are becoming more and more important. No need to look anywhere else than New England and Dante Scarnecchia.

Frank Pollack did a very nice job in Dallas when he was there. The Cowboys had one of the top OLs in the league

32 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He's not.  He is an unrestricted free agent.  He will not be back, I presume.  They chose to pursue the world famous Brett Qvale when they also re-signed the other all worldly Eric Tomlinson.  If they were bringing him back, I assume it would have been at that time.

No need to Bold. It's not like he was gone 1, 2 or 3 years ago. He was literally just with this team this past season.

My point stands, it's not like it's just Dozier that's a prime example. No one was able to fill in those clear-as-day problems on the Oline when Winters was hurt, Wesley was the the worst Center in the league and Long replaced Wesley as the worst Center in the league. 

This is what happens when the Oline is only worth 4th and 5th round picks 3 times in 5 years 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Its football, QBs are harassed.  He was nowhere near being killed.  The only he could move and scramble saved his doesn't explain that we said the same exact things the year before with McCown and a year earlier with Fitz.  

Now please tell us how Darnolds development was curtailed by the OL.  This is pure speculation at its finest.  He was curtailed by a lack of weapons, at not having even the few receivers on the roster for a hunk of the season.  His OL, please, every QB in the NFL gets moved off his spot.  What games did I watch?  His foot injury was from what?  Wouldn't have happened with a better OL?  You know this how?  Because it fits your argument?  Wait, you saw it though

You didn't see the game where the ball was being hiked 10 feet in the air and instead of throwing TD Darnold was trying to make OBJ catches?

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No need to Bold. It's not like he was gone 1, 2 or 3 years ago. He was literally just with this team this past season.

My point stands, it's not like it's just Dozier that's a prime example. No one was able to fill in those clear-as-day problems on the Oline when Winters was hurt, Wesley was the the worst Center in the league and Long replaced Wesley as the worst Center in the league. 

This is what happens when the Oline is only worth 4th and 5th round picks 3 times in 5 years 

What's the problem with the "bold"?  You cited Dozier as an example to support your point, and said he was on the current roster.  He is not.  You don't have to fabricate players to make your point.. There are plenty of them.  I cited two, Qvale and Tomlinson. 

If your point is that the Jets need to draft Offensive Line in the upcoming draft, then you are right.  If your point is that they should reach for an Offensive Lineman with the 3rd overall pick, just to fill a need, then you are wrong.  It's that simple.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Its football, QBs are harassed.  He was nowhere near being killed.  The only he could move and scramble saved his doesn't explain that we said the same exact things the year before with McCown and a year earlier with Fitz.  

Now please tell us how Darnolds development was curtailed by the OL.  This is pure speculation at its finest.  He was curtailed by a lack of weapons, at not having even the few receivers on the roster for a hunk of the season.  His OL, please, every QB in the NFL gets moved off his spot.  What games did I watch?  His foot injury was from what?  Wouldn't have happened with a better OL?  You know this how?  Because it fits your argument?  Wait, you saw it though

Coaching.  Play calling.

I will say this though, this franchise does know what they have in Sam, they love him.  

His injury was real, but he was held out longer than he wanted to, in order to protect him - not because he was injury prone or soft, they Knew his mobility was critical for him to survive the season.  They wanted no doubt he was 100% healed, his mobility and playmaking on the run compensated for a poor offensive line.  

Sam was biting the bit after two weeks.  The franchise did the right thing.

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

DzF53Y2JnJ.png

your list starts with Joe Thomas, 2007 

there's an OL drought especially at tackle 

That drought of yours is fantasy. There is no drought. My list starts at 2007-14 since D'Brick was drafted in 2006. It clearly shows that pretty much every year there is a Tackle in the draft that is of the quality or better than D'Brick. D'Brick isnt even a HOF tackle bro, what are you talking about. He wasnt even a first or 2nd team all pro in his career. He was an above average, very good Tackle, which is all you need. 

Laremy Tunsil is exactly that right now. The only reason why he isnt on that list is because he doesnt have numerous probowls or all-pro appearances. But Laremy Tunsil is another quality guy who was drafted in 2016. 

Matter of fact, Jack Conklin was also part of that 2016 class and he was a first team all pro in 2016. Ronnie Stanley is a solid Tackle for the Ravens. 

That's 3 OT"s in 2016, a year that I didnt even mention, and I would say are in the top half of the best OT's in this league and any one of them would be better than what we have at Tackle on the Jets right now. 

Going back to 2015, Brandon Scherff was a Tackle at Iowa and was push to play guard because the Redskins already had Trent Williams. Do you see the trend??? This is why Leo Williams was available to the Jets at 6, because at 5 when everyone thought that the Redskins would take Williams, they instead decided to make their offensive line the top priority by drafting a Tackle even though that position was clearly filled with a future HOF'er, so they decided to push him into the guard position and Scherff is a 2x pro bowler and is one of the top guards in the league. 

There is no drought at tackle. Andrus Peat was a Tackle coming out of Stanford in that 2015 draft as well. The Saints pushing him into guard just like they did Carl Nicks when they drafted him in 2008. Why? Because the Saints play the quick pass game. They protect Brees with the Center and both guards. 

So those are another 2 Tackles who converted to guards who were pro bowlers in the NFL. Andrus Peat is one of the best young guards in the league protecting one of the best QB's of all time. 

Lets be real, there is no drought. I just sat here and provided you with the class of 2015 and 16, and all of those guys on that list is better than the guys we've had playing on our team at those same positions. And I dont even need to go through the Center position, it's pretty evident that we've had the worst Centers in the league since Nick Mangold left.

Macc is a bum GM. If there was ever a drought, it was a drought in front office competence for the Jets. 

33 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What's the problem with the "bold"?  You cited Dozier as an example to support your point, and said he was on the current roster.  He is not.  You don't have to fabricate players to make your point.. There are plenty of them.  I cited two, Qvale and Tomlinson. 

If your point is that the Jets need to draft Offensive Line in the upcoming draft, then you are right.  If your point is that they should reach for an Offensive Lineman with the 3rd overall pick, just to fill a need, then you are wrong.  It's that simple.

I just explained it. I dont want you to get tunnel vision on Dozier because he just now allowed to walk, when there are so many Dozier's on this team. 

Bolding his name makes it solely about him, and I dont want you to miss the entirety of my point. 

50 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It seems to me that unless there is a can't miss OL high you wait on drafting OL. Otherwise you get Ereck Flowers etc.

OL doesnt seemed to be valued highly by most teams, in other words teams are more likely to reach for a pass rusher than an OL.

You see more Dion Jordan's and Vernon Gholstons and Aaron Maybins than Ereck Flowers and Chance Warmacks

Not really. Andrus Peat was drafted after Ereck Flowers. Peat was pushed into the guard position because the Saints already had Terron Armstead. 

Alot of the good guards in the league (Marshal Yanda, Andrus Peat, Joel Bitonio, Brandon Scherff etc.) were OT's and were pushed into the guard position because of talent already at the T positions. 

As I just told @bitonti There is no drought at the position. Many of these guys are moving to guard because they're strong and athletic and can quickly make it to the 2nd level much better than those typical guards. There's the same amount of Tackle talent, it's just that teams are doubling and tripling up on them. 

I just spoke about the Cowboys, well look at the Saints. After they got Carl Nicks in 2008, they got Armstead in the 3rd round in 2013, drafted Peat in 2015 and Ryan Ramczyk in the 1st round in 2017. That's 5 college T's that the Saints drafted since 2008. The difference is that teams are also using OT's to fill in guard spots because they're seeing the benefits of their athleticism.

OL doesnt seem valued highly by most teams, that's true, but the teams who do value them know what the hell they're doing and why they're doing it. 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Hey if you don't feel the value is there to take oline early fine but for gods sake at least take flier picks on them later instead of multiple CBs, multiple wrs all of whom do nothing at all. 

Never understood the draft/FA resources lavished on non edge DL and DBs. These are fungible parts, roster filler, overhead. The jets have inexplicably treated slots as must haves when there isn't much difference between Leonard Williams and Marcus Maye and guys you could pick up later in the draft or off the street. Not the case with OL; solid OL guys don't move until they get too expensive for their original teams like Nat Solder.   Jets have stupidly not made OL a priority. As the OP notes Mangold and Brick have not be replaced. 

Gonna be very interesting what happens with Maye, Williams and Adams' 2nd contracts. Very likely Coffee Boy will overpay the living sheet out of all 3 to confirm his own bias. Not saying any of them are bad players, but none of them is going to be worth the contract Maccganan will be inclined to give them to justify the picks. 

Funny how when Sam was playing like sh-t, and make no mistake there was a long stretch where he was, the O-line looked like sh-t.

When he came back after injury his decision making improved and the ball was coming out faster which resulted in O-line play that didn't look quite as terrible.

The O-line needs to improve but this myth that they are the worst of all time is dumb.  They were bottom 3rd last year.

How about giving them a few games with real coaching and the players they're undoubtedly adding the next few months?  They just added a player considered to be 1 of, if not the best G's in the league in a genius trade, and people here pretend like nothing has been done yet..  :-s

Mac will f**k up this draft.  He’s a buffoon.   $160 million dollars on a ILBer, slot receiver and a RB.   Still have glaring needs at more important and premium positions.   He’s incompetent plain and simple.  Surprised there are still people making excuses for him. 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Mac will f**k up this draft.  He’s a buffoon.   $160 million dollars on a ILBer, slot receiver and a RB.   Still have glaring needs at more important and premium positions.   He’s incompetent plain and simple.  Surprised there are still people making excuses for him.  

Funny.  I'm not surprised at all.  People have been making excuses for him at every stage of his tenure.  Why stop now?

49 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Frank Pollack did a very nice job in Dallas when he was there. The Cowboys had one of the top OLs in the league

The Cowboys’ starting OL last year consisted of a fourth-round pick, a second-round pick, two first-round picks, and a guy who would have gone top 10 if not for a bizarre set of circumstances.

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I just explained it. I dont want you to get tunnel vision on Dozier because he just now because a cut on this team, where there are so many Dozier's on this team. 

Bolding his name makes it solely about him, and I dont want you to miss the entirety of my point. 

All bolding his name does, for me, is draw attention to that's who I was commenting about.  It has nothing to do with the entirety of the post or it's relevance.  In fact, you are focusing on it more than I am.  Read my post again.  It was matter of fact.  Again, I cited Qvale and Tomlinson as examples that make your point.  I did that twice, yet you are still focused on the Dozier issue.

I didn't miss the entirety of the post.  If I disagreed, I would have refuted it.  I didn't. That should tell you something. I have been a proponent of trading down primarily because of the benefit in addressing the Offensive Line with the added picks.  That doesn't make drafting an Offensive Lineman at #3 overall, in this specific drafting class, a good idea.  Because it isn't.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Cowboys’ starting OL last year consisted of a fourth-round pick, a second-round pick, two first-round picks, and a guy who would have gone top 10 if not for a bizarre set of circumstances.

He wasnt with the Cowboys last year

And even then, none of those picks were top ten. We're talking top ten here

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I'm pretty surprised by this post.  Are you suggesting that it was a mistake to sign CJ Moseley, LeVeon Bell and Jamison Crowder in free agency?  If so, who do you think they should have spent the money on at the "premium positions" you mentioned.  I'm curious.  To say he's a buffoon based on these three signings is ridiculous.  Plain and simple.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I'm pretty surprised by this post.  Are you suggesting that it was a mistake to sign CJ Moseley, LeVeon Bell and Jamison Crowder in free agency?  If so, who do you think they should have spent the money on at the "premium positions" you mentioned.  I'm curious.  To say he's a buffoon based on these three signings is ridiculous.  Plain and simple.

I mean he could be a buffoon for drafting Christian Hackenberg. but these signings really arent signs of his bufoonery

6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Dee Ford/Preston Smith, Mitch Morse, and Tyrell Williams would have been good options.  I'd rather have those three than the three we ended up with.  Those three would have filled 2 premium positions and 3 major needs. 

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He’s a Buffon because he gave $85 million dollars to an ILBer when he just drafted one in the first round a couple years ago.  He paid a RB $50 million because he’s never bothered to draft one before the 6th round.  He’s a Buffon because he can’t even draft a decent slot receiver, the easiest receiver position to find.  He’s a Buffon because he can’t close a screen door and gets used like a cheap whore in negotiations.   His track record speaks for itself.  It’s abysmal.   But go ahead and fellate him because he grossly overpaid for a good ILBer and bought a RB that no other team was willing to pay for.  

10 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

All bolding his name does, for me, is draw attention to that's who I was commenting about.  It has nothing to do with the entirety of the post or it's relevance.  In fact, you are focusing on it more than I am.  Read my post again. 

Am I? I didnt mean to. I said no need to bold it...just once. 

You made it into a brand new conversation. But, to prove that im not focusing on it. I'll accept the bold in order to continue to move on with the conversation. There's nothing wrong with you bolding for as long as you understood the entirety of what I was saying. 

The idea that some of you guys thought every position was gonna be fixed in one free agency is kinda funny .  I personally think there’s a good core in place . Need a strong draft this year and probably one more offseason before we can contend seriously. But things are trending up imo

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dee Ford/Preston Smith, Mitch Morse, and Tyrell Williams would have been good options.  I'd rather have those three than the three we ended up with.  Those three would have filled 2 premium positions and 3 major needs. 

So you dont want Leveon Bell? okay

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mitch Morse, Dee Ford/Preston Smith, and Tyrell Williams would have been good options. 

I was all for Mitch Morse and Tyrell Williams.  They were not better options than LeVeon Bell, who I was against signing, Moseley or Crowder.  Based on need, contract, and impact, the signings made by the team make better sense than those players.

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Given the contracts that Earl Thomas and Landon Collins just got....

Good NFL team shoudl take their cue from the Redskins over paying Landon Collins And Ravens doing so with Earl Thomas, got it. 

Walter Jones, Brick and Jonathan Ogden never got to free agency. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Good NFL team shoudl take their cue from the Redskins over paying Landon Collins And Ravens doing so with Earl Thomas, got it. 

Walter Jones, Brick and Jonathan Ogden never got to free agency. 

Not the teams its the players/agents. They set the market. 

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I was all for Mitch Morse and Tyrell Williams.  They were not better options than LeVeon Bell, who I was against signing, Moseley or Crowder.  Based on need, contract, and impact, the signings made by the team make better sense than those players. 

A WR2 like Tyrell Williams has more of an impact on the game than a slot WR.

A solid C in free agency would have prevented that from being a need we HAD to address in the draft. 

A pass rusher would have given us flexibility on what to do at 3.  If we can't trade down, we kind of HAVE to take a pass rusher now.

The three players I presented make a million times more sense than an ILB, RB, and slot receiver.  Granted, I like all three players.  And Bell almost operates like a WR in today's NFL.  But you cannot possibly argue that filling NEEDS with impact players, and at impact positions, would be worse than what we ended up with. 

Sure, the cost of the pass rusher would have been extensive, and Bell ended up getting less than he thought he would.  But that's the price you may for a young pass rusher on the FA market, and wouldn't have made it any less of a prudent decision. 

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Never understood the draft/FA resources lavished on non edge DL and DBs. These are fungible parts, roster filler, overhead. The jets have inexplicably treated slots as must haves when there isn't much difference between Leonard Williams and Marcus Maye and guys you could pick up later in the draft or off the street. Not the case with OL; solid OL guys don't move until they get too expensive for their original teams like Nat Solder.   Jets have stupidly not made OL a priority. As the OP notes Mangold and Brick have not be replaced. 

Gonna be very interesting what happens with Maye, Williams and Adams' 2nd contracts. Very likely Coffee Boy will overpay the living sheet out of all 3 to confirm his own bias. Not saying any of them are bad players, but none of them is going to be worth the contract Maccganan will be inclined to give them to justify the picks. 

Exactly Bugg. 

It's about what should be deemed as valuable. It is clear that the defense is more valuable to Macc than the offense, and whatever he does deem valuable on the offensive side of the ball pretty much begins and ends at the QB position. 

This is a terrible way to approach team building. 

I feel like Chris Johnson focused too much on Bowles performance alone and gave Macc way too much credit for trading up from the 6th pick to the 3rd when the Giants could have easily drafted Sam Darnold and left Macc with egg on his face, and I even mentioned how stupid the trade up was because it didnt guarantee him his guy given that I heard that it was between Darnold and Mayfield and we all knew the possibility of the Giants taking a QB. The Giants own stupidity saved Macc from his own incompetence. 

And to think, Macc wouldnt even have had to trade out of the 6th pick if the year before he valued the QB position more than a Strong Safety position and decided to take either Mahomes or Watson over Adams. And of course this isnt a beat up on Adams, but just supporting my position on how Macc has valued this Jets team and to clearly show how we've had to trade up and give away valuable draft picks because of his lack of value for the offense in prior seasons. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So to be clear. Tyrell Williams at 4y44m is better than Le'veon Bell at 4y52m . OK

He certainly would have been here longer than Bell.  Based on how his contract is set up, Bell might only be here for 2 years.  Williams, at 27, would have lasted far longer. 

I like Bell a lot.  But if the choice were the 3 players I chose vs the 3 players we got, I take the pass rusher, Morse and Tyrell any day of the week.  We needed a pass rusher and Center desperately and didn't fill either position.  We added talent to the roster but put ourselves into a box on draft day because of the decisions we made. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

A WR2 like Tyrell Williams has more of an impact on the game than a slot WR.

A solid C in free agency would have prevented that from being a need we HAD to address in the draft. 

A pass rusher would have given us flexibility on what to do at 3.  If we can't trade down, we kind of HAVE to take a pass rusher now.

The three players I presented make a million times more sense than an ILB, RB, and slot receiver.  Granted, I like all three players.  And Bell almost operates like a WR in today's NFL.  But you cannot possibly argue that filling NEEDS with impact players, and at impact positions, would be worse than what we ended up with. 

Sure, the cost of the pass rusher would have been extensive, and Bell ended up getting less than he thought he would.  But that's the price you may for a young pass rusher on the FA market, and wouldn't have made it any less of a prudent decision. 

LOL What other possible option is there at 3? Even Q Williams can be considered a pass rusher. Just not an edge rusher which is what people bemoan?

If we're not trading down. OF COURSE we're taking a pass rusher. BEcause that's the strength of the draft

Archived