In Darnolds case stats DO tell the Story

Jetster

Recently we've all seen stats related to 3rd down and longs & how the Jets & Darnold were 2nd in that category. Bates was horribly predictable & Bowles penchant for wanting to establish the run was on full display here during his 4 years here. 

Darnold had more 3rd & long dropbacks than any other QB other than Dak Prescott. He also, other than Josh Allen had the worst group of skill players around him than any QB in the league. Rosen was handing off to David Johnson & throwing to Larry Fitzgerald. Teams were rolling coverage to Anderson, Sam had no Quincy, he had McGuire in the backfield, Kearse had basically retired, and still led the league in QBR in the last quarter of the season. He also made some incredibly tight throws in those 4 games. 

Next year with an upgraded Oline, the additions of Bell, Crowder and Quincy back, an entire offseason to get ready, getting every 1st team rep with a more complete team, can you imagine the type of jump he could take when we can keep this guy out of those 3rd & long scenarios and have him a lot of 2nd & 3rd and shorts? 

Darnold proved last year he can do it all! He'll be a nightmare in short yardage. He can run, he's strong, he converted all of his 3rd & 4th & 1 keepers, he'll be much better in hurry up, he'll use his cadence to his advantage with experience, he can throw running right or left, and he's pin point accurate in the short game. We added one of the best RBs in the NFL as his outlet and we added a beast in OK to run short yardage behind. Chris Herndon will be more comfortable & get all the 1st team reps with Sam too, unlike last years camp. 

This is BY FAR the most anticipation I've had as a Jet fan since 1998. 2009 & 2010 were awesome but unexpected and the way the team was built with what turned out to be a below average QB propped up by an incredible running game was unsustainable. Sanchez couldn't hold Sam Darnolds jock. You give Darnold 300 yards on the ground, the Jets are not losing like Sanchez did vs Buffalo in 2009. Sanchez also had zero touch on his short game passes. What we saw in 2009/2010 was an ok inexperienced QB with a loaded veteran team. What we saw last year was an inexperienced QB carry his team on his back with very little help, injuries on the Oline & at the skill positions, and a slew of wow plays while playing sandlot football getting chased around by opposing defenses. 

I still believe IN THE LONG RUN Sam Darnold will be better overall than Baker Mayfield. Not until 2021 will Darnold be the same age Baker was coming in as a rookie on a team that was LOADED with talent. Having an offensive coach like Gase will be a godsend to Sam and to this Jets team as a whole. Sam is Tannyhill X 2 and Gase had success with a HEALTHY Tannyhill. Those azz kickings Gase & Sam put on the Dolphins for the next 10 years will be a thing of beauty. They'll have the Pats number too soon enough. Darnold does not seem to be the kind of athlete that will tolerate getting embarrassed, kids a confident winner. I still love that clip from the draft, Sam, what can Jet fans expect from you...."A LOT OF WINS!". 

Bring on the draft baby! 

I wonder how many of those 3rd and longs were the result of penalties and bad snaps 

What matters to me is that Sam finished better than he started 

He's not just young he had only something like 32 starts lifetime at QB when he got here so he's a green young lol

Here's to the new coaching staff holding guys accountable and not playing guys just because they were the week 1 starter 

6 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

I agree with most of this, except Sam carrying us on his back last season. We won 4 games. Not saying it was his fault but we did win just 4. That’s not called carrying the team. 

He carried the offense in the end stretch, in spite of some of the crappiest coaching imaginable. 

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

I wonder how many of those 3rd and longs were the result of penalties and bad snaps 

He's not just young he had only something like 32 starts lifetime at QB when he got here so he's a green young lol

Here's to the new coaching staff holding guys accountable and not playing guys just because they were the week 1 starter 

And being predictable, like running on 1st down every series.  Time to mix it up.

1 hour ago, CurtMart said:

I agree with most of this, except Sam carrying us on his back last season. We won 4 games. Not saying it was his fault but we did win just 4. That’s not called carrying the team. 

It was a difficult year, and he struggled badly for 4 games but he made enough plays vs the Browns & the D folded, he got us leads vs both the Texans & Packers but the D again folded. It was pretty obvious though during the last quarter of the season Sam Darnold was & will be the Jets best player in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Team archer said:

We still need a number 1 WR and a center. I dont know how but if we can get those in this draft, then ill wouldnt have anything to complain about, even if it means missing out on a pass rusher

I don't know if we need a #1 WR but a good young center would be ideal. Could you imagine if we could trade back with say....Denver @ 10, pick Brian Burns, Garrett Bradley drops back to #41 we acquired from Denver & then maybe have 3 third rounders! I can't believe for one second Denver will roll with just Joe Flacco. 

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I don't know if we need a #1 WR but a good young center would be ideal. Could you imagine if we could trade back with say....Denver @ 10, pick Brian Burns, Garrett Bradley drops back to #41 we acquired from Denver & then maybe have 3 third rounders! I can't believe for one second Denver will roll with just Joe Flacco. 

The number 1 is too unstack the box vs Bell. Robby is the deep threat so him + a number 1 would help tremendously

2 hours ago, Larz said:

My god, how many times did we get backed up after a good play by either a loss of yardage on a running play or a penalty? It happened A LOT. Reminded me of Springsteen song 1 step forward two steps back. 

1 hour ago, Team archer said:

We still need a number 1 WR and a center. I dont know how but if we can get those in this draft, then ill wouldnt have anything to complain about, even if it means missing out on a pass rusher

I think our wr’s are set for now. We have bigger fish to fry like OL and CB. A healthy Enuwa, Crowder, Robbie, Herndon and Burnett give Sam ample options. And he’s connected with these guys nicely. Sky’s the limit with this group. Add Bell to the mix, whose an outstanding receiver and outlet in his own right, and we have a formidable group to stoke fear in opposing defenses. We need to focus on getting an edge rusher and revamping the OL at this point. 

Love the enthusiasm, and agree with the premise of the comments almost entirely.  A couple of things.  If we trade down, it doesn't have to necessarily be within the top ten spots. Grabbing the Giants #6 and #17 picks would be a dream scenario, but that's never going to happen.  Ditto the Dolphags at #13,

I'd be fine with the Redskins pick at #15.  There will be plenty of options to be had there, plus the additional draft capital, both in later rounds, and future picks would be huge. At that spot players like Chase Winovich,  Devin Bush, Devin White,  Jawaan Taylor, Brian Burns, Jachai  Polite, and Zach Allen will be there.  Who knows, maybe Ed Oliver or Rashaan Gary could slip.  I hate to miss on "the big 3", especially Quinnen Williams, but the need most likely outweighs the benefit, unfortunately.

No doubt the Offensive Line needs attention and the extra picks would assure us of at least one blue chip prospect and probably two.  A wide receiver would also be a nice addition, but a per se #1 wideout is not a necessity.  Contrary to public opinion, as presently constructed, we have plenty of weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

The last observation is in reference to Adam Gase.  It would be a miracle for him to survive 10 years in New York.  For that to be possible we would have to win two Super Bowls and go to 3- 4 AFC Championship games.  That's a tall order.  Coaches just don't last 10 years in one place in the NFL.  That's the reality.  Usually if they do, it's typical to have  two years of growth, followed by 4 years of good success, followed by another 3-4 years of stink.  We don't want that.  I'd be more than happy with a good 6+ year run, with one Super Bowl.  That shouldn't be too much to hope for.

4 hours ago, Mark78 said:

And being predictable, like running on 1st down every series.  Time to mix it up.

Pick 4 random games from last year and let us know what the mix was compared to the league average, that would be interesting to confirm 

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Recently we've all seen stats related to 3rd down and longs & how the Jets & Darnold were 2nd in that category. Bates was horribly predictable & Bowles penchant for wanting to establish the run was on full display here during his 4 years here. 

Darnold had more 3rd & long dropbacks than any other QB other than Dak Prescott. He also, other than Josh Allen had the worst group of skill players around him than any QB in the league. Rosen was handing off to David Johnson & throwing to Larry Fitzgerald. Teams were rolling coverage to Anderson, Sam had no Quincy, he had McGuire in the backfield, Kearse had basically retired, and still led the league in QBR in the last quarter of the season. He also made some incredibly tight throws in those 4 games. 

Next year with an upgraded Oline, the additions of Bell, Crowder and Quincy back, an entire offseason to get ready, getting every 1st team rep with a more complete team, can you imagine the type of jump he could take when we can keep this guy out of those 3rd & long scenarios and have him a lot of 2nd & 3rd and shorts? 

Darnold proved last year he can do it all! He'll be a nightmare in short yardage. He can run, he's strong, he converted all of his 3rd & 4th & 1 keepers, he'll be much better in hurry up, he'll use his cadence to his advantage with experience, he can throw running right or left, and he's pin point accurate in the short game. We added one of the best RBs in the NFL as his outlet and we added a beast in OK to run short yardage behind. Chris Herndon will be more comfortable & get all the 1st team reps with Sam too, unlike last years camp. 

This is BY FAR the most anticipation I've had as a Jet fan since 1998. 2009 & 2010 were awesome but unexpected and the way the team was built with what turned out to be a below average QB propped up by an incredible running game was unsustainable. Sanchez couldn't hold Sam Darnolds jock. You give Darnold 300 yards on the ground, the Jets are not losing like Sanchez did vs Buffalo in 2009. Sanchez also had zero touch on his short game passes. What we saw in 2009/2010 was an ok inexperienced QB with a loaded veteran team. What we saw last year was an inexperienced QB carry his team on his back with very little help, injuries on the Oline & at the skill positions, and a slew of wow plays while playing sandlot football getting chased around by opposing defenses. 

I still believe IN THE LONG RUN Sam Darnold will be better overall than Baker Mayfield. Not until 2021 will Darnold be the same age Baker was coming in as a rookie on a team that was LOADED with talent. Having an offensive coach like Gase will be a godsend to Sam and to this Jets team as a whole. Sam is Tannyhill X 2 and Gase had success with a HEALTHY Tannyhill. Those azz kickings Gase & Sam put on the Dolphins for the next 10 years will be a thing of beauty. They'll have the Pats number too soon enough. Darnold does not seem to be the kind of athlete that will tolerate getting embarrassed, kids a confident winner. I still love that clip from the draft, Sam, what can Jet fans expect from you...."A LOT OF WINS!". 

Bring on the draft baby! 

someone done drunk ALL the koolaid!

13 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He carried the offense in the end stretch, in spite of some of the crappiest coaching imaginable. 

Which end stretch? We went on a 3 game losing streak after a win against the lowest Bills had snapped a 6 game losing streak. We ended the season going 1-9 in the last 10 games. Nobody carried that team. Let’s not fool ourselves. Sam Darnold showed improvement and that’s about it. Frankly, that’s all I cared about like most Jets fans. Let’s not pretend like Sam turned into Dan Marino in his rookie year. 

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

It was a difficult year, and he struggled badly for 4 games but he made enough plays vs the Browns & the D folded, he got us leads vs both the Texans & Packers but the D again folded. It was pretty obvious though during the last quarter of the season Sam Darnold was & will be the Jets best player in a long time. 

I hope so too. It’s not that hard to be the best Jets player in a long time. That bar isn’t very high at all, especially for QBs. But I simply said Darnold didn’t carry the team on his back. That’s not true at all. But I expect a little more out of him this year. I expected a lot more out of Sanchez too, frankly, but that didn’t pan out. Many of my UCLA fans said to keep my expectations low with Sanchez even after two deep playoff runs. Not the case with Darnold but I’m a Jets fan and high xpectations generally mean a major failure for us. 

33 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Oh the tweet didn’t embed, just a bunch clips of bad drops from the receivers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try again. I'd like to see it.  I've been waiting here all night to see what you meant there. ;) 

6 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Lol, here

It really is crazy how many drops there were. Darnold introduction to the NFL had a porous OL and a revolving cast of incapable receivers. Anderson, Herndon and Enunwa are solid players, but adding Crowder and Bell are going to be huge for him. 

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

It really is crazy how many drops there were. Darnold introduction to the NFL had a porous OL and a revolving cast of incapable receivers. Anderson, Herndon and Enunwa are solid players, but adding Crowder and Bell are going to be huge for him. 

Yet people still want to draft defense.  

We need to get this kid as much protection and reliable weapons as possible, especially while he's still young.  The QB game is so much about confidence.  

Get him to be playing at an all-pro level and can actually carry the team on his back - then go ahead and draft as much defense as you want.  

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

Bring on the draft baby! 

true enough.  darnold didn't have much he could rely on.  bell changes this as do the upgrades to the oline.  it's kind of unfair to compare darnold to mayfield.  darnold, imo, is way more structured and doesn't want to free lance as much as mayfield.  we'll see which qb will have the greater impact.  my money is on darnold.

23 hours ago, Mark78 said:

IDK, Jets threw on 1st down just under 61% of the time, which is ranked 14th in the league.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-first-down-pct

IMO what shaded Darnold's numbers was that the stupid HC wouldn't put in a Center who could get him the ball on a clean exchange.  Really threw Darnold's timing and confidence off

Yet people still want to draft defense.  
We need to get this kid as much protection and reliable weapons as possible, especially while he's still young.  The QB game is so much about confidence.  
Get him to be playing at an all-pro level and can actually carry the team on his back - then go ahead and draft as much defense as you want.  

I could not agree more. That’s a good point about confidence. If he’s getting walloped all day abd his receivers never catch his passes, he runs the risk of being traumatized and can become a shell of his former self.

Kenny O had a little bit of that going on and al toon paid the price. :)

I’d love to see us use all resources to giving him what he needs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Did you believe coming into the season the Browns were a better place for a rookie QB? Unless I’m overstating the Jets deficiencies, make you believe Sam has good resolve to not come out of last season more lost than he started. Maybe McCown was more beneficial than I thought...

34 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Did you believe coming into the season the Browns were a better place for a rookie QB? Unless I’m overstating the Jets deficiencies, make you believe Sam has good resolve to not come out of last season more lost than he started. Maybe McCown was more beneficial than I thought...

Better OL and Jarvis Landry

Archived