Gronk Retires

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Tony Gonzalez is the greatest TE of all time. Gates is 2nd.  Gronk retiring this early because of steroids and the fact that Belichick was about to cut him hurts his legacy

Tony G played longer, but prime Gronk is the best i have ever seen.   Tony could not and did not block, Gronk was an excellent blocker.

• Upvote 1

The fire was still burning in this Pats squad from the Philly Special shocker. They've lost their starting left tackle, Trey Flowers (best defensive player), now Gronk has retired, Gordon helped them win enough games to get that 1 home playoff game & again only having to win 2 games to get to another Super Bowl. 

They luckily drew the young deer in headlights Goff instead of Brees, Kamara, Thomas, Ingram. The stars aligned for them again because the AFC east blows chunks (7-1 again vs AFC east). No way that team comes out with the fire they did last year. I'll be shocked  if Edeleman isnt nabbed for something again, the dudes veins were like ant trails, every little muscle popping like he just finished 4 sets of curls during the game. 

We finally have some players to compete, starting with our young QB. Our defensive middle, where the Patriots always expose teams with those f*cking screens & RB dumpoffs is literally our strongest area with 4 good LBs & 2 good safeties with addition of a tough slot CB in Poole. If we stay at #3, we're adding Q.Williams, Bosa or Josh Allen to this defense, a huge upgrade that will help everyone else, Leo & Anderson mostly. 

I believe we can honestly say, the Pig is Ripe this offseason. It has to happen some year, I believe this is the year. 

Plagued with a lot of injuries the last few years. Smart move on his part to go out on top. Started to lose some intensity but could never be overlooked. Seemed like when I watched him last year he was more concerned about trying to draw penalties than catching the ball. Anyway you look at it it’s good news for the Jets. 

13 hours ago, nico002 said:

Sad, dude is a legend. Best TE ever and honestly it’s not close. 

not the best TE ever not even close.

Maybe if he stayed healthy  and played for 12 plus years he could be considered for best ever but Tony Gonzalez Played for 16 years and had 15K yards and 111 TD's Compared to Gronks 9 years 7.8k yards and 79 TD's. Ands when you compare the 3-4 best years of each TE they are very close in comparison even in that aspect. Part of being the greatest ever you have to factor in longevity as well. Gronk could never stay healthy.

Gronk had 3 great years for a TE and one amazing year his second year in the league. If you want to say he had the greatest year ever by a TE then yeah he did in 2011 

• Upvote 1

Love Tony Gonzalez, but at no point was he ever a better player than Gronkowski.  Gronk has the highest yard/game, catches/game, TDs on a per game basis of any TE ever.  He has the best season any TE has ever had statistically, and he was dominant in the playoffs and has 3 superbowls.  Moreover from an intangible point of view, it really makes the gap larger.  Gronk was one of the best blockers in TE history (Gonzalez was at best average) and he could line up at every skill position on the field, including fullback.

Gonzalez was more like a receiver than a TE, and could create more separation than any TE I ever saw.  However, Gronk had a wider catch radius, was absolutely unstoppable after the catch, and was one of the biggest matchup nightmares the NFL has ever seen.  The 2011 Patriots changed NFL offenses forever b/c of the nightmare that a dual threat TE could cause, where if you put a cb on him, they would just run the ball and if they put a safety or LB on him, it was an easy pitch and catch. 

Gonzalez has the longevity checkmark of course, but I actually think Ozzie Newsome was the second best TE ever (and if you compare the stats, its also not close to Gronk). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

not the best TE ever not even close.

Maybe if he stayed healthy  and played for 12 plus years he could be considered for best ever but Tony Gonzalez Played for 16 years and had 15K yards and 111 TD's Compared to Gronks 9 years 7.8k yards and 79 TD's. Ands when you compare the 3-4 best years of each TE they are very close in comparison even in that aspect. Part of being the greatest ever you have to factor in longevity as well. Gronk could never stay healthy.

Gronk had 3 great years for a TE and one amazing year his second year in the league. If you want to say he had the greatest year ever by a TE then yeah he did in 2011 

It is so trendy to call Gronk the greatest TE ever but I guess I would too if I was 19 and on social media all day

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

This guy isn’t retiring. I do not trust those cheating scumbags. 

And here we go.  The Gronk unretirement speculation starts.......a day after Gronk retires.

"Rob is 29 years old. He's still a very young man. It wouldn't shock me if he has a change of heart, if he feels great and he decides that he wants to play football," Drew Rosenhaus said on Get Up!

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It is so trendy to call Gronk the greatest TE ever but I guess I would too if I was 19 and on social media all day

Any of the "Greatest Ever" stuff is goofy.   Like really, did you watch a lot of the players in the 60s, 70s, and 80s?  Gronk only had 4 years over 1000 yards, and only played 16 games twice. 

Edit, I looked it up, Tony G also only had 4 years over 1000 yards, he had a ton in the 800-900 range.  Antonio Gates only had 2 over 1000 yards, as did Jason Whitten. 

Allowing for the times they played in, Mike Ditka's rookie year may have been the best year ever for a Tight End.  1961 he had over 1000 yards receiving, averaging 19 yards per reception.   That is on a team that only threw for 2600 yards in total.

• Upvote 1

A good player for sure and not really interested in parsing out where he falls in the annals of TE history.

He had a mess of injuries and probably on track to have painful permanent injuries if he kept playing. I have obligatory dislike for him as a Pats player but he seemed to be very wise with his finances and will probably go on to be just fine in life getting paid to be a local celebrity. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Any of the "Greatest Ever" stuff is goofy.   Like really, did you watch a lot of the players in the 60s, 70s, and 80s?  Gronk only had 4 years over 1000 yards, and only played 16 games twice. 

Edit, I looked it up, Tony G also only had 4 years over 1000 yards, he had a ton in the 800-900 range.  Antonio Gates only had 2 over 1000 yards, as did Jason Whitten. 

Allowing for the times they played in, Mike Ditka's rookie year may have been the best year ever for a Tight End.  1961 he had over 1000 yards receiving, averaging 19 yards per reception.   That is on a team that only threw for 2600 yards in total.

Gonzo is the GOAT.  I’m not being a patriots hater that’s simply a fact.  He played longer and did more he was the Jerry Rice of tight ends

yeah I’ve never bought the “you have to be older than 65 to have an opinion about sports” argument but when I see people acting like Gronkowski is the Babe Ruth of football I have to disagree 

Wish he had been a Jet his attitude would’ve fit in well here. He probably would’ve had twice as many TDs if he stayed healthy. When he was on he was as close to unstoppable as I’ve ever seen. Good luck in the movies Gronk... the next Schwartzennager.

Gronk did not have the longevity, but if I’m having to pick a Tight End, then I pick Gronk over any Tight End that ever played every time.

You must be too young to remember Kellen Winslow Sr. Or Shannon Sharpe.

Or ... Antonio Gates

Or ... Ditka

Or ... Tony Gonzales

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You must be too young to remember Kellen Winslow Sr. Or Shannon Sharpe.

Or ... Antonio Gates

Or ... Ditka

Or ... Tony Gonzales

No Gronk is a freak, the rest aren’t. Tony G was the original move Tight End who was an ok blocker. Mike Ditka was from the 60’s and was a tough SOB but could have played in the modern NFL.? Gates another move Tight End, Sharpe was the original won’t block racked up receiver.

Gronk excels at everything, the Pats would not have Won as much as they have without him.

I get he’s a Pat, and I hate them as much as anyone. If I’m picking a team to play a game of football, he’s the first name that goes against Tight End. His knock is he’s injury prone. When he’s fit it’s not close.

I been watching the NFL since 82 so outside of Ditka I’ve seen them all.

No Gronk is a freak, the rest aren’t. Tony G was the original move Tight End who was an ok blocker. Mike Ditka was from the 60’s and was a tough SOB but could have played in the modern NFL.? Gates another move Tight End, Sharpe was the original won’t block racked up receiver.
Gronk excels at everything, the Pats would not have Won as much as they have without him.
I get he’s a Pat, and I hate them as much as anyone. If I’m picking a team to play a game of football, he’s the first name that goes against Tight End. His knock is he’s injury prone. When he’s fit it’s not close.
I been watching the NFL since 82 so outside of Ditka I’ve seen them all.
Winslow was my favorite out of them all ... Huge and an amazing receiver.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:30 AM, Ghost said:

This guy isn’t retiring. I do not trust those cheating scumbags. 

That could be true but he’s pretty beat up. Back, knees, elbow and a couple concussions.... I think he’s done. He’s past his prime and I think he knows it.