Who is a better GM Dave Gettleman or Mike McCagnan?

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

BS. Cleveland past on him and they were starving for a QB. Seriously KC has a great draft record? Outside of Kelce, who on that team is great? They drafted a RB that got booted off the team and now the star WR is going to probably suffer the same fate. The star pass rusher is now on another team as well. Where are all these franchise players you speak of?

That's why Cleveland Fired their GM & hired a new one.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

BS. Cleveland past on him and they were starving for a QB. Seriously KC has a great draft record? Outside of Kelce, who on that team is great? They drafted a RB that got booted off the team and now the star WR is going to probably suffer the same fate. The star pass rusher is now on another team as well. Where are all these franchise players you speak of?

I'm going to say that the team that had six Pro Bowlers this year, each of whom they drafted, has a good handle on the draft

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Gettleman’s legacy will be drafting Barkley over Darnold. Doesn’t look so bad now. In ten years it will be heralded as one of the worst moves ever.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Only if he doesnt find a QB post Eli. Hes likely going to have Haskins available at 6 if he wants to go that route. 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is incorrect. A team with an excellent draft record knew that Mahomes was going to be good. A team with an absolutely horrendous draft record took the strong safety

To be fair if Darnold becomes good then nobody is going to rip that draft pick. 

Same goes for the Barkley pick if the Giants draft Haskins or Lock and they become good.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

They’ve had six different players make an All-Pro team in the last three years alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Barkley is going to break every RB record. If the Giants trade for Rosen, they will have a fan and a frb. They may have a lesser QB but it is probably good enough for that team to challenge for a championship.  They did it with Eli and he is far from the best. 

You dont know that hes going to break any RB record.  RB no matter what is never near as important and hard to find as a FQB.  A RB is good, especially a big bruiser if he lasts 7 years, never expect him to be at the top of his game that long.  A FQB can be on the top of his game and productive past 10 seasons.

Yes, they did it with a less than top QB.  When did we say, wow, they were lead by a RB and he won that team a SB.  A team without a QB leading the way has won when?

So wait, logic at work here.
Macc doesnt look smart because any moron could have drafted Darnold.
SO the other moron is better because, he was a bigger moron for passing on Darnold.
Got it
The other moron is better if he is able to fill 2 premium positions in consecutive years with 2 young players with the potential to be stars on cheap contracts.

Yes, that's better than our moron.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

The other moron is better if he is able to fill 2 premium positions in consecutive years with 2 young players with the potential to be stars on cheap contracts.

Yes, that's better than our moron.

All except for one little thing.

He hasnt pulled it off and even if he does, Rosen isnt Darnold.  Haskins is a day two pick a year ago.  Dont know where we're getting that hes better for filling premium positions in consecutive years when it didnt happen.  Guess I can say the same thing about Macc.  

All except for one little thing.
He hasnt pulled it off and even if he does, Rosen isnt Darnold.  Haskins is a day two pick a year ago.  Dont know where we're getting that hes better for filling premium positions in consecutive years when it didnt happen.  Guess I can say the same thing about Macc.  
My original post was a supposition stating what I think he will do. I dont think for a minute that he will draft Haskins, that's why I didnt mention him.

If he doesn't make the trade then he goes back to being an idiot.

At this point Im gonna give a slight edge in favor of Mac because I think the Jets will be a better team than the Giants this next season. However Mac did it - dumb luck or opportunity - it appears to me that the Jets have the better roster right now and a good future. The Giants might miss Beckham more than they think - lets see how Barkley does against a bunch of loaded boxes next season. Nothing like trading away a fan favorite and sticking with a 40 year old QB without his best receiver. Yes Gettleman is dumber than Mac - but not by much.

• Sympathy 1

Agreed. Taking Barkley over Darnold is a hell of a lot easier to explain than taking Jamal Adams over Pat Mahomes at this point. 
Explain the other 9 picks before Mahomes please. Adams was a rock solid selection ... Many thought Maholmes would slip into the late 20s my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I could have sworn we just landed Leveon freaking Bell or the studly CJ Mosely ... What was I thinking ??? Oh I guess he needs to land a franchise QB...oh wait...

People in this thread keep saying “At least Macc has a plan.”

What is that plan, exactly? And why is it taking so long to execute?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Literally the future of these two NY franchises come down to these men. McCagnan bet his career on Darnold and Gettleman didnt even think he was good enough succeed Eli. 

Is one better than the other? Are they both geniuses? Are they both terrible?

We know Mac sucks. Dave Gettlemen on the other hand is an unknown commodity for me. I just know passing up Darnold on the outside at least looks like a pretty bad decision and I say that knowing Saquon Barkley is still the very best player in that draft.

Macc is head and shoulders better right now.  he was hampered by one of the worst HCs the NFL has seen in my lifetime or he'd at least have a playoff season under his belt.  After year 2 they tore it down completely and everything is going perfectly according to play since.  Gettleman chose a failed Browns HC(w/o a tom brady to save him), he has gotten rid of 4 young all pro players in the past year and kept an old, never great Eli manning.  he chose a RB over Sam Darnold.  if the Panthers SB core wasn't already in place he would have had no success as a GM. he was fired 1 year after Carolina made the SB and in July.  That should tell us something.  I am just so thankful the giants hired him and are sticking w/ Eli.  I hate the giants more than any team and I love what he's doing for them.

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  think anyone can seriously say taking Barkley  was a mistake. 

How long have you been following pro football? 

QB always trumps RB. Like an Ace trumps a Jack. So the Giants now have Sequan Barkley & an old broken down Eli. Barkleys career might be 4-5 years of top play, than the Giants will have to pay him 17 mill per to keep him. 

The Patriots have won 6 Super Bowls with RBs picked off the street. The Eagles won with Ajayi & Blount. Than the Pats drafted Sony Michel at the bottom of the 1st. The Giants defense is a sieve, they won't win anything in that division for years. Taking Barkley over Darnold & keeping Eli under that contract was a blunder of epic proportions that will affect them for years. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mac, who during his tenure has the 3rd worst record in the NFL is better than a GM who oversaw a team who went to the Super Bowl because Mac has a plan?

Can someone catch me up to speed on what his plan is exactly? 

Carolina went to the super bowl because they had their team already put together and the coach already in place.  The GM did very little other than make them worse by getting rid of players like Steve Smith.  He was fired a year after that SB run.

This man thought the Giants could be a playoff team last year and made his moves based on that thinking- they then won 5 games.  He's gotten rid of 4 YOUNG all pro(not pro bowl but all pro) players since taking over but has kept an old QB who has never been an all pro.

It's Macc and it's not close

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Well junk is adamant about something, so I think that pretty much puts an end to any debate on this topic, as there's no greater evidence that the complete opposite must be true.

Instead of this you could just have said "I'm scared to debate junc because he always wipes the floor with me".

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

John idziks plan included Geno Smith and John inherited a good HC then sabotaged him.  Macc inherited an incompetent fool of a HC.  The situations are not similar

All I'm saying is "having a plan" doesn't mean anything in terms of being qualified to be a GM, or a better / worse GM than the next guy.

Every GM has a plan. Most plans suck, or don't get executed well. Or both.

I have no idea how anyone can say Mac is the better GM. He has managed to build one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Took him 4 years to find or even truly attempt to find a FQB.

His draft philosophy is terrible and scouting skills are awful.

Gettleman’s biggest mistake was drafting a generational talent RB.

If he manages to trade for Rosen (who many thought was the best QB in the draft last year) he will have won.

Top QB’s from last years draft and the best RB, by a lot, in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mac, who during his tenure has the 3rd worst record in the NFL is better than a GM who oversaw a team who went to the Super Bowl because Mac has a plan?

Can someone catch me up to speed on what his plan is exactly? 

Let's wait & see how we look with a 2nd year QB, a very good RB, a better LG, a slot WR, Quincy back, an all pro LB, 1 of either Q.Williams, Bosa or Allen, a 2nd year up & coming TE in Herndon, the 2 third rounders, high 4, and most importantly an offensive head coach & an NFL caliber defensive coach in Gregg Williams. 

Bowles will go down as the worst head coaching choice the Jets had made since Rich Kotite.

I know I tend to lean towards optimistic, but fellow Jet fans, how can you not be excited with the direction of this team with Sam Darnold as our starting QB instead of going into a season with Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown? Darnold is all in man! The guy lives & breaths sports, has chosen to be a QB & has NEVER failed at anything he's chosen. There was reason guys like Watt, Rogers, Brady had high praise after our games. Pros see greatness, they know what to look for, they've been around great players. With Gase guiding him, Sam Darnold is going to be a great pro. He's an outlier & he doesn't accept failure. 

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

All I'm saying is "having a plan" doesn't mean anything in terms of being qualified to be a GM, or a better / worse GM than the next guy.

Every GM has a plan. Most plans suck, or don't get executed well. Or both.

There's a lot of work to be done but the plan is working so far.

Year 1: shed all the old, expensive players. Done

Year 2: get the QB and give the team great cap space. Done

Year 3: surround the QB with talent and upgrade the OL.  Looking pretty good so far.

All of this means nothing without wins but we are on the right track and at minimum should be a playoff contender this year with a really bright future.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I still can’t understand how bad Todd Bowles was. I hate on Mac a lot and rightfully so but I tend to not even acknowledge Todd Bowles. I just don’t have words for how bad he was. I can talk about any subject but really can’t with him. He left me speechless. 

We have a lot more talent on the roster than people realized due to how awful Bowles was.  A decent HC has last year's team in playoff contention not out of it by October.  That move alone gives us more wins.