OLB Brandon Copeland, TE Neal Sterling back with the Jets

jetstream23

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to have him back - he played well last year.

Will be interesting to see the contract terms. Do the Jets view him as a legit starter?

There was interest from other teams, so the price may be higher than expected.

I like it.  Sounds like a smart guy. At the least he gives sound financial advice:

Jets Linebacker Brandon Copeland Is A Money Player, On And Off The Field

J.P. Pelzman
J.P. Pelzman
Contributor

•  
uncaptioned image

Brandon Copeland of the New York Jets in a November 4 game against the Miami Dolphins. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

Getty

When Brandon Copeland sacked Minnesota’s Kirk Cousins near the Vikings’ goal line earlier this season, he did not trash-talk Cousins by critiquing his 401K, or by reminding him to make sure he includes the total from Form 1099-MISC for his non-football income when he does his taxes.

But Copeland could have.

The 27-year-old Copeland, who had his first taste of the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2013, is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s prestigious Wharton School of Business and is quite aware of the finite nature of football careers. That’s why Copeland has interned multiple times on Wall Street and also runs a real-estate business with his wife, Taylor.

It’s also why he did a video earlier this year for The Players' Tribune in which he gave advice to young NFL players on how to manage their money. As he notes, though, the advice really is applicable to anyone.

“It’s not just a football player thing; it’s a people thing,” Copeland said after a recent practice at the Jets’ training facility in Florham Park, N.J. “Because people hit me up all the time asking for financial advice, investment advice. And the biggest thing I’ve learned in my own personal journey is that if you think in terms of percentages, it will help you in the long run.”

That particular piece of wisdom is at the center of Copeland’s first point in the video, which is to “stay patient.”

Copeland, who has a bachelor's from Penn in economics, expanded upon that, saying: “It’s something I’ve had to learn in my own experiences. It’s something I continue to battle with. I don’t think it’s just athletes; it’s people in general. No one wants to do something and do it just average.”

He’s talking about the expectation of having every investment net a big windfall. Copeland cautions that it is often better to look at an investment in terms of percentages, as opposed to the raw number on the bottom line.

“No one in this building wants to be the most average defensive back or outside linebacker in the league,” said Copeland, who has a career-high four sacks this season and harassed Josh Allen into an ill-advised throw and interception Sunday as the Jets broke a six-game slide by beating Buffalo. “You want to be the best, so the same (attitude) carries over to the investments we make, the decisions we make, our relationships with our friends and family members and stuff like that. It’s hard to be patient.”

But, he added, “after years and years of doing this, I try to think of stuff more in terms of percentages than the actual dollar amount. If I tell somebody I made $1,000 over six months (from an investment), somebody who makes 40 times that each week or even more will say, ‘What a waste of time.’

“But if you tell them, I made 20% or 15% over six months, now you’re speaking a better language, and it’s more attractive to them.”

Switching sports for a metaphor, Copeland says investors must guard against always swinging for the fences.

“If you think in percentages,” he said, “or think long term and stay patient, then once in a while, when you do hit a home run, you’ll be happy. But I found if you’re always thinking home run, home run, home run, even when you do get a solid return,” you’ll be disappointed.

Copeland’s second rule of investing is “play devil’s advocate.”

He said that when someone tells him about a potential investment, he wants to that person to “tell me why it won’t work. I need to know all the reasons why it won’t work.

“I buy stocks and manage my own portfolio,” he said, “so when I come up with an idea or a reason why I’m purchasing something, I try to think of obviously the pros, but also the reasons why it might not work. A lot of people run from that. They run from the negatives. … I’m fortunate I’m blessed to have been in the right places at the right times. God has blessed me with a mind to listen.”

He also has received sage advice in terms of evaluating potential opportunities from his grandfather, Roy Hilton, a former NFL defensive end who played on the Baltimore Colts team that won Super Bowl V. Hilton told Copeland he had a chance to get into broadcasting around the time his playing career ended and didn’t take it.

“He wishes he would have accepted it,” Copeland said, “because who knows where that single opportunity would have led?”

And that same rule can apply in investing.

uncaptioned image

Brandon Copeland, then with the Detroit Lions, in 2015. (Photo by Scott W. Grau/Icon Sportswire/Corbis via Getty Images)

Getty

His third rule is don’t compete,” or, as a popular adage in the 1960s and 1970s advised, don’t try to keep up with the Joneses.

“Don’t try to do what everyone else is doing,” he said, referring to spending habits such as eating at lavish restaurants or buying expensive cars. “You don’t know what they have in their bank account.

“Some guys have kids; some don’t,” Copeland added. “Everyone’s story is different. Be yourself. Stay in your lane, and hopefully, your lane is the right lane, and you can’t go too wrong doing that.”

Copeland’s advice makes a lot of sense, especially considering he didn’t have the easiest route to the NFL.

He was signed by Baltimore as an undrafted free agent in 2013 but was waived at the end of preseason. He was on Tennessee’s practice squad later that year but didn’t appear in a regular-season game until playing in Detroit’s season opener in 2015.

“You don’t have to starve yourself,” he advised, “but at the end of the day, it’s like: ‘Do I really want that? Is that something I really need right now?’”

Copeland admits that even for someone who pays close attention to his finances the way he does, “it’s a constant battle, a constant struggle. I work hard, and sometimes I feel I need to (buy) something to feel like I’m living, I’m in the NFL. ‘I’m splurging, I’m gonna buy it, I don’t care.’”

His advice in such a case is to “treat yourself,” but to do it within reason and make it a moment that you will cherish.

“If I’m going to splurge on something,” Copeland said, “I want it to be on something that will be a memory so that when I’m 70-something or 80-something and I’m on my deathbed, I want to look back at that (purchase) and be able to smile. To me, that’s priceless.”

One such memory was when he proposed to his then-fiancee in 2017. Brandon and Taylor had been in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in 2016 for a personal finance boot camp run by the NFL for players. He told Taylor that if he was active for every game with the Lions in 2016, he would go back to South Florida with her and rent a yacht for an excursion. (He also invited friends and family, he said, but they would have to pay to get down there while he paid for the yacht.)

He proposed to her in New Jersey, Taylor said yes, and then they went to Miami, where she was surprised to find several of their closest friends already there.

They were married in a small ceremony in their home, and Copeland said the money that could have been spent on a lavish wedding instead went into a honeymoon that lasted three weeks and spanned two continents and five countries.

Of the trip to Miami and the honeymoon, he said, “That’s something she will remember forever, I will remember forever. That’s money well-spent.”

His fourth rule is “live below your means.”

“I think about what I can do to help somebody else” with money, he said, referring to potential donations.

His fifth hint is to “use your platform,” and that’s what he is doing right now by being interviewed for this story. He also encourages people to reach out to him on his Instagram account @bcope51.

He said he thinks the NFL is “doing a good job putting (financial) information into guys’ faces, but at the end of the day, you’re still on your own to make your own decisions.

“No matter what you do,” he added, “there’s risk in investments and in managing your money. … I’ve made my own personal mistakes. Warren Buffett has lost money on investments.”

“There’s no way to protect everyone,” he said, “but the hope is that guys are listening and hearing information and at least asking the right questions to the people that are managing their money. And thinking hard before making those big decisions, big purchases, stuff like that, because that’s really all you can do.”

And if you do make a financial score, don't trash-talk anyone about it.

J.P. Pelzman
J.P. Pelzman
Contributor

32 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Nice to have him back - he played well last year.

Will be interesting to see the contract terms. Do the Jets view him as a legit starter?

View him as a legit starter?  I don't think so.  

Comfortable if they need to put him in there?  Absolutely.  I think he showed last year that he can be a solid, consistent contributor.  He just likely won't be a "difference maker" or key player that an offense needs to focus on like a Barr, Justin Houston, Nick Bosa, or Josh Allen would be considered.

This is really good news in my opinion.  We CAN start him if necessary, opposite Jordan Jenkins, and be respectable.  Those are really good numbers for a guy not in a full time role - 47 tackles, 20 QB hits and 5 sacks.  Assuming we address Edge in the draft (let's say Allen) I could see a passing down (3rd and long) package that has Allen and Copeland on the field coming from each edge and Gregg Williams designing some blitzes with Adams or Mosely coming up the middle.

There was interest from other teams, so the price may be higher than expected.

It could be.  And, maybe that was the plan with the Jets....."Brandon, we want you back but we have a budget.  Do us a favor, give us a chance to match or exceed any offers that you get.  We want you back in Green and White."  He probably shopped himself and found that teams not named the Jets had some concerns that he was a "one year wonder."  If the Jets give him an extra $500K to keep him here I'm fine with that.

Monday, Mar 25, 2019 11:16 AM

Jets Re-Sign Fifth-Year Tight End Neal Sterling

/assets/images/imported/NYJ/Lange_Randy-headshot.jpg
Randy Lange

NYJets.com Contributor

sterling-wide

The Jets have fifth-year re-signed unrestricted tight end Neal Sterling.

Sterling (6'4", 257) was Jacksonville's seventh-round pick (220th overall) out of Manasquan High School and Monmouth University at the Jersey shore in the 2015 draft. He played his first two NFL seasons with the Jaguars, then signed as a free agent with the Jets just before the start of the 2017 season.

Except for one week with Kansas City, he was with the Jets the past two years, although 2018 was cut short for him by a concussion that landed him on Injured Reserve on Nov. 10. He became a UFA earlier this month before re-signing with the Green & White, filling out the tight ends room that wll include Chris Herndon, Eric Tomlinson and Jordan Leggett from last year's roster and free agent Daniel Brown.

In his two Jets seasons, Sterling has played in 16 games (five starts) and has 12 receptions for 129 yards (10.8 yards/catch). He was in for 229 offensive snaps and 183 special teams plays in both seasons combined. As a pro he has 35 games (six starts) in which he's made 24 catches for 239 yards (10.0 yards/catch).

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I like it.  Sounds like a smart guy. At the least he gives sound financial advice:

Jets Linebacker Brandon Copeland Is A Money Player, On And Off The Field

J.P. Pelzman
J.P. Pelzman
Contributor

•  
uncaptioned image

Brandon Copeland of the New York Jets in a November 4 game against the Miami Dolphins. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

Getty

When Brandon Copeland sacked Minnesota’s Kirk Cousins near the Vikings’ goal line earlier this season, he did not trash-talk Cousins by critiquing his 401K, or by reminding him to make sure he includes the total from Form 1099-MISC for his non-football income when he does his taxes.

But Copeland could have.

The 27-year-old Copeland, who had his first taste of the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2013, is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s prestigious Wharton School of Business and is quite aware of the finite nature of football careers. That’s why Copeland has interned multiple times on Wall Street and also runs a real-estate business with his wife, Taylor.

It’s also why he did a video earlier this year for The Players' Tribune in which he gave advice to young NFL players on how to manage their money. As he notes, though, the advice really is applicable to anyone.

“It’s not just a football player thing; it’s a people thing,” Copeland said after a recent practice at the Jets’ training facility in Florham Park, N.J. “Because people hit me up all the time asking for financial advice, investment advice. And the biggest thing I’ve learned in my own personal journey is that if you think in terms of percentages, it will help you in the long run.”

That particular piece of wisdom is at the center of Copeland’s first point in the video, which is to “stay patient.”

Copeland, who has a bachelor's from Penn in economics, expanded upon that, saying: “It’s something I’ve had to learn in my own experiences. It’s something I continue to battle with. I don’t think it’s just athletes; it’s people in general. No one wants to do something and do it just average.”

He’s talking about the expectation of having every investment net a big windfall. Copeland cautions that it is often better to look at an investment in terms of percentages, as opposed to the raw number on the bottom line.

“No one in this building wants to be the most average defensive back or outside linebacker in the league,” said Copeland, who has a career-high four sacks this season and harassed Josh Allen into an ill-advised throw and interception Sunday as the Jets broke a six-game slide by beating Buffalo. “You want to be the best, so the same (attitude) carries over to the investments we make, the decisions we make, our relationships with our friends and family members and stuff like that. It’s hard to be patient.”

But, he added, “after years and years of doing this, I try to think of stuff more in terms of percentages than the actual dollar amount. If I tell somebody I made $1,000 over six months (from an investment), somebody who makes 40 times that each week or even more will say, ‘What a waste of time.’

“But if you tell them, I made 20% or 15% over six months, now you’re speaking a better language, and it’s more attractive to them.”

Switching sports for a metaphor, Copeland says investors must guard against always swinging for the fences.

“If you think in percentages,” he said, “or think long term and stay patient, then once in a while, when you do hit a home run, you’ll be happy. But I found if you’re always thinking home run, home run, home run, even when you do get a solid return,” you’ll be disappointed.

Copeland’s second rule of investing is “play devil’s advocate.”

He said that when someone tells him about a potential investment, he wants to that person to “tell me why it won’t work. I need to know all the reasons why it won’t work.

“I buy stocks and manage my own portfolio,” he said, “so when I come up with an idea or a reason why I’m purchasing something, I try to think of obviously the pros, but also the reasons why it might not work. A lot of people run from that. They run from the negatives. … I’m fortunate I’m blessed to have been in the right places at the right times. God has blessed me with a mind to listen.”

He also has received sage advice in terms of evaluating potential opportunities from his grandfather, Roy Hilton, a former NFL defensive end who played on the Baltimore Colts team that won Super Bowl V. Hilton told Copeland he had a chance to get into broadcasting around the time his playing career ended and didn’t take it.

“He wishes he would have accepted it,” Copeland said, “because who knows where that single opportunity would have led?”

And that same rule can apply in investing.

uncaptioned image

Brandon Copeland, then with the Detroit Lions, in 2015. (Photo by Scott W. Grau/Icon Sportswire/Corbis via Getty Images)

Getty

His third rule is don’t compete,” or, as a popular adage in the 1960s and 1970s advised, don’t try to keep up with the Joneses.

“Don’t try to do what everyone else is doing,” he said, referring to spending habits such as eating at lavish restaurants or buying expensive cars. “You don’t know what they have in their bank account.

“Some guys have kids; some don’t,” Copeland added. “Everyone’s story is different. Be yourself. Stay in your lane, and hopefully, your lane is the right lane, and you can’t go too wrong doing that.”

Copeland’s advice makes a lot of sense, especially considering he didn’t have the easiest route to the NFL.

He was signed by Baltimore as an undrafted free agent in 2013 but was waived at the end of preseason. He was on Tennessee’s practice squad later that year but didn’t appear in a regular-season game until playing in Detroit’s season opener in 2015.

“You don’t have to starve yourself,” he advised, “but at the end of the day, it’s like: ‘Do I really want that? Is that something I really need right now?’”

Copeland admits that even for someone who pays close attention to his finances the way he does, “it’s a constant battle, a constant struggle. I work hard, and sometimes I feel I need to (buy) something to feel like I’m living, I’m in the NFL. ‘I’m splurging, I’m gonna buy it, I don’t care.’”

His advice in such a case is to “treat yourself,” but to do it within reason and make it a moment that you will cherish.

“If I’m going to splurge on something,” Copeland said, “I want it to be on something that will be a memory so that when I’m 70-something or 80-something and I’m on my deathbed, I want to look back at that (purchase) and be able to smile. To me, that’s priceless.”

One such memory was when he proposed to his then-fiancee in 2017. Brandon and Taylor had been in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in 2016 for a personal finance boot camp run by the NFL for players. He told Taylor that if he was active for every game with the Lions in 2016, he would go back to South Florida with her and rent a yacht for an excursion. (He also invited friends and family, he said, but they would have to pay to get down there while he paid for the yacht.)

He proposed to her in New Jersey, Taylor said yes, and then they went to Miami, where she was surprised to find several of their closest friends already there.

They were married in a small ceremony in their home, and Copeland said the money that could have been spent on a lavish wedding instead went into a honeymoon that lasted three weeks and spanned two continents and five countries.

Of the trip to Miami and the honeymoon, he said, “That’s something she will remember forever, I will remember forever. That’s money well-spent.”

His fourth rule is “live below your means.”

“I think about what I can do to help somebody else” with money, he said, referring to potential donations.

His fifth hint is to “use your platform,” and that’s what he is doing right now by being interviewed for this story. He also encourages people to reach out to him on his Instagram account @bcope51.

He said he thinks the NFL is “doing a good job putting (financial) information into guys’ faces, but at the end of the day, you’re still on your own to make your own decisions.

“No matter what you do,” he added, “there’s risk in investments and in managing your money. … I’ve made my own personal mistakes. Warren Buffett has lost money on investments.”

“There’s no way to protect everyone,” he said, “but the hope is that guys are listening and hearing information and at least asking the right questions to the people that are managing their money. And thinking hard before making those big decisions, big purchases, stuff like that, because that’s really all you can do.”

And if you do make a financial score, don't trash-talk anyone about it.

J.P. Pelzman
J.P. Pelzman
Contributor

Great article.

I'm just wondering why I had to see JP Pelzman's mug twice?!?!?

Click the hidden text is you want to see an updated roster

Spoiler

Total Signed Players:  68
Available Roster Spots: 22  (For Example: 6 Draft Picks, 12 UDFAs, 4 Vet Free Agents)

Offense   - 33

Quarterback  (3)

•     14 - Sam Darnold 6'3" 221  USC
  •     xx - Trevor Siemian 6'3" 220 Northwestern  (Free Agent Signing) 
  •       5 - Davis Webb 6'5" 225 Cal   

Running Back  (4)

•   xx - Le'Veon Bell 6'1" 225 Michigan State (Free Agent Signing) 
  •   25 - Elijah McGuire 5'10" 214 LA-Lafayette  
  •    40 - Trenton Cannon 5'11" 185  Virginia State  (KR)
  •    35 - Deangelo Henderson 5'7" 208 Coastal Carolina  

Tight End   (5)  

•     89 - Chris Herndon 6'4" 253 Miami  
  •     86 - Jordan Leggett 6'5" 258 Clemson  
  •     xx - Daniel Brown 6'5" 243 James Madison (Free Agent Signing)
  •     83 - Eric Tomlinson 6'6" 263 UTEP    (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     85 - Neal Sterling  6'3" 257 Monmouth (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)

Wide Receiver    (9)

•     81 - Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska   (2018 Injured Reserve)
  •     11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple (RESTRICTED FA - 2nd Rounder Tender)
  •     xx - Jamison Crowder 5'9" 177 Duke (Free Agent Signing)
  •     xx - Josh Bellamy 6'0" 208 Louisville (Free Agent Signing)
  •     84 - Deontay Burnett 6'0" 180 USC  
  •     17 - Charone Peake 6'3" 205 Clemson 
  •     84 - JJ Jones   5'10" 173 West Georgia (WR)
  •     xx – Stacy Coley 6’0” 195 Miami (FL) (WR) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •     16 - DeAngelo Yancey 6'1" 220 Purdue (WR) (Reserve/Future Contract)

Offensive Line   (12)

•     68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T)  
  •     72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (2018 Injured Reserve)
  •     xx - Kelechi Osemele 6'5" 330 Iowa State (G)  (Acquired via Trade with Raiders)
  •     67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 Kent State (G)  
  •     78 - Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G)   
  •     xx - Tom Compton 6'6" 314 South Dakota (G/T) (Free Agent Signing)
  •     79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     69 - Benjamin Braden 6'6" 335 Michigan (G/T) 
  •     65 - Eric Smith 6'4" 308 Virginia (T)
  •     76 - Dieugot Joseph 6'6" 300 FIU (OT) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •     64 - Jon Toth   6'5" 310 Kentucky (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •      xx - Jordan Morgan 6'3" 313 (G) Kutztown

Defense - 32

Defensive Line  (7) 

•     92 - Leonard Williams 6'5 300 USC (DE/DT)
  •     96 - Henry Anderson 6'6" 300  Stanford (DE)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     99 - Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315  Ft. Hays State (DE/DT) 
  •     94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)   
  •     xx – Charles Tapper 6’3” 270 Oklahoma (DE) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •    75 - Destiny Vaeao 6'4" 299 Washington State (DL)  (RESTRICTED FA?)    (Some Debate About His Status on Roster)

Linebacker  (11) 

•     48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia (OLB)
  •     54 - Avery Williamson 6'1" 246 Kentucky (ILB)   
  •     xx - CJ Mosley 6'2" 250 Alabama (ILB) (Free Agent Signing)
  •     58 - Darron Lee 6'1" 235 Ohio State   (ILB)
  •     46- Neville Hewitt 6'2" 234 Marshall (ILB) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     51 - Brandon Copeland 6'3" 263 Penn (OLB) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     50 - Frankie Luvu 6'3" 235 Washington State (OLB)  
  •     93 - Tarell Basham 6'4" 266 Ohio (OLB) (DE?)
  •     91 - Bronson Kaufusi 6'6" 275 BYU (OLB/DE)    
  •     52 - Anthony Wint 6'0" 224 FIU (ILB)    
  •     44 - Harvey Langi 6'2" 250 BYU (ILB)  (INJURED/PUP)

Cornerback  (8) 

•     22 - Trumaine Johnson 6'1" 205 Montana   
  •     43 - Parry Nickerson 5'10"182 Tulane  
  •     30 - Rashard Robinson 6'2" 177 LSU  
  •     xx - Brian Poole 5'10" 205 Florida (Free Agent Signing)
  •     27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall (S?)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     31 - Derrick Jones 6'2" 188 Mississippi    
  •     34 - Jeremy Clark 6'3" 220 Michigan (CB / S)  
  •     xx – Arthur Maulet 5’10” 190 Memphis (CB) (Reserve/Future Contract)

Safety   (6)  

•     33 - Jamal Adams 6'0" 214 LSU 
  •     38 - Brandon Bryant 6'0" 215 Mississippi State (S) 
  •     36 - Doug Middleton 6'0" 210 Appalachian State  (S)  (2018 Injured Reserve)  
  •     26 - Marcus Maye 6'0" 210 Florida  (S) (2018 Injured Reserve)
  •     xx – Tevaughn Campbell 6’0” 195 Regina (DB) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •     45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA) (UNRESTRICTED FA?)     (Some Debate About His Status on Roster)

Special Teams - 3

Punter    (1)

•     4 - Lachlan Edwards 6'4" 215 Sam Houston State

Kicker    (1)

•     x - Chandler Catanzaro 6'3" 210 Clemson (Free Agent Signing)

Long Snapper   (1) 

•     42 - Thomas Hennessy 6'2" 246 Duke

Click the hidden text if you want to see an updated roster

Spoiler

Total Signed Players:  68
Available Roster Spots: 22  (For Example: 6 Draft Picks, 12 UDFAs, 4 Vet Free Agents)

Offense   - 33

Quarterback  (3)

•     14 - Sam Darnold 6'3" 221  USC
  •     xx - Trevor Siemian 6'3" 220 Northwestern  (Free Agent Signing) 
  •       5 - Davis Webb 6'5" 225 Cal   

Running Back  (4)

•   xx - Le'Veon Bell 6'1" 225 Michigan State (Free Agent Signing) 
  •   25 - Elijah McGuire 5'10" 214 LA-Lafayette  
  •    40 - Trenton Cannon 5'11" 185  Virginia State  (KR)
  •    35 - Deangelo Henderson 5'7" 208 Coastal Carolina  

Tight End   (5)  

•     89 - Chris Herndon 6'4" 253 Miami  
  •     86 - Jordan Leggett 6'5" 258 Clemson  
  •     xx - Daniel Brown 6'5" 243 James Madison (Free Agent Signing)
  •     83 - Eric Tomlinson 6'6" 263 UTEP    (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     85 - Neal Sterling  6'3" 257 Monmouth (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)

Wide Receiver    (9)

•     81 - Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska   (2018 Injured Reserve)
  •     11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple (RESTRICTED FA - 2nd Rounder Tender)
  •     xx - Jamison Crowder 5'9" 177 Duke (Free Agent Signing)
  •     xx - Josh Bellamy 6'0" 208 Louisville (Free Agent Signing)
  •     84 - Deontay Burnett 6'0" 180 USC  
  •     17 - Charone Peake 6'3" 205 Clemson 
  •     84 - JJ Jones   5'10" 173 West Georgia (WR)
  •     xx – Stacy Coley 6’0” 195 Miami (FL) (WR) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •     16 - DeAngelo Yancey 6'1" 220 Purdue (WR) (Reserve/Future Contract)

Offensive Line   (12)

•     68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303  SMU (T)  
  •     72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (2018 Injured Reserve)
  •     xx - Kelechi Osemele 6'5" 330 Iowa State (G)  (Acquired via Trade with Raiders)
  •     67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 Kent State (G)  
  •     78 - Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G)   
  •     xx - Tom Compton 6'6" 314 South Dakota (G/T) (Free Agent Signing)
  •     79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     69 - Benjamin Braden 6'6" 335 Michigan (G/T) 
  •     65 - Eric Smith 6'4" 308 Virginia (T)
  •     76 - Dieugot Joseph 6'6" 300 FIU (OT) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •     64 - Jon Toth   6'5" 310 Kentucky (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •      xx - Jordan Morgan 6'3" 313 (G) Kutztown

Defense - 32

Defensive Line  (7) 

•     92 - Leonard Williams 6'5 300 USC (DE/DT)
  •     96 - Henry Anderson 6'6" 300  Stanford (DE)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     99 - Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315  Ft. Hays State (DE/DT) 
  •     94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)   
  •     xx – Charles Tapper 6’3” 270 Oklahoma (DE) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •    75 - Destiny Vaeao 6'4" 299 Washington State (DL)  (RESTRICTED FA?)    (Some Debate About His Status on Roster)

Linebacker  (11) 

•     48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia (OLB)
  •     54 - Avery Williamson 6'1" 246 Kentucky (ILB)   
  •     xx - CJ Mosley 6'2" 250 Alabama (ILB) (Free Agent Signing)
  •     58 - Darron Lee 6'1" 235 Ohio State   (ILB)
  •     46- Neville Hewitt 6'2" 234 Marshall (ILB) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     51 - Brandon Copeland 6'3" 263 Penn (OLB) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     50 - Frankie Luvu 6'3" 235 Washington State (OLB)  
  •     93 - Tarell Basham 6'4" 266 Ohio (OLB) (DE?)
  •     91 - Bronson Kaufusi 6'6" 275 BYU (OLB/DE)    
  •     52 - Anthony Wint 6'0" 224 FIU (ILB)    
  •     44 - Harvey Langi 6'2" 250 BYU (ILB)  (INJURED/PUP)

Cornerback  (8) 

•     22 - Trumaine Johnson 6'1" 205 Montana   
  •     43 - Parry Nickerson 5'10"182 Tulane  
  •     30 - Rashard Robinson 6'2" 177 LSU  
  •     xx - Brian Poole 5'10" 205 Florida (Free Agent Signing)
  •     27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall (S?)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed)
  •     31 - Derrick Jones 6'2" 188 Mississippi    
  •     34 - Jeremy Clark 6'3" 220 Michigan (CB / S)  
  •     xx – Arthur Maulet 5’10” 190 Memphis (CB) (Reserve/Future Contract)

Safety   (6)  

•     33 - Jamal Adams 6'0" 214 LSU 
  •     38 - Brandon Bryant 6'0" 215 Mississippi State (S) 
  •     36 - Doug Middleton 6'0" 210 Appalachian State  (S)  (2018 Injured Reserve)  
  •     26 - Marcus Maye 6'0" 210 Florida  (S) (2018 Injured Reserve)
  •     xx – Tevaughn Campbell 6’0” 195 Regina (DB) (Reserve/Future Contract)
  •     45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA) (UNRESTRICTED FA?)     (Some Debate About His Status on Roster)

Special Teams - 3

Punter    (1)

•     4 - Lachlan Edwards 6'4" 215 Sam Houston State

Kicker    (1)

•     x - Chandler Catanzaro 6'3" 210 Clemson (Free Agent Signing)

Long Snapper   (1) 

•     42 - Thomas Hennessy 6'2" 246 Duke

Copeland with a good supporting cast can be a very good pass rusher he also plays the position well and that's a rare thing for what people like to refer too as edge rushers. If we get what amounts to a very good pass rusher via the draft Copeland could really shine with some of the attention off of him and on the new shiny object on the other side of the defense. Of course a lot of this will depend on what base package Williams will be using and how well he disguises the blitz. Im sure Williams will transform this defense and Copeland at the very least will give us great depth   Wil.liamson, Mosely Jenkins Copeland Lee and Luvu (only 22 years old) will be a nice group of LB's with a lot of speed and thats what makes for good defenses in the NFL

Archived