Trading before draft day

I came across a comment in a jets related article I read on pro football focus. 

Commenting on the colts / jets trade in last year's draft,  someone said; the colts could have gotten a lot more from the jets if they waited until they were on the clock with Darnold sitting there @3.

I couldn't agree more. We all thought Darnold would have gone #1 and would have given up just about anything for him. 

If we're going to trade down, there is  no point to doing it anytime before the draft. I think Mac knows this better than anyone. If a player a team is in love with falls, they'll give up anything for him. 

The colts gm is getting a lot of praise for all his moves the past 2 years, but last year's trade was a blunder. 

Agreed.  And if a team is going to try to trade up early, I think SF's #2 pick is what they would want.  If a team really wants Haskins  -- Giants, Skins, Dolphins, Broncos or someone else -- are you going to move up to 3 now and risk being jumped by someone who gets to 2. 

If you can't work out a deal with 49ers, then wait until draft day and look to deal with jets, assuming your guy is on the board at 3.

7 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Commenting on the colts / jets trade in last year's draft,  someone said; the colts could have gotten a lot more from the jets if they waited until they were on the clock with Darnold sitting there @3.

I couldn't agree more. We all thought Darnold would have gone #1 and would have given up just about anything for him. 

If we're going to trade down, there is  no point to doing it anytime before the draft. I think Mac knows this better than anyone. If a player a team is in love with falls, they'll give up anything for him. 

The colts gm is getting a lot of praise for all his moves the past 2 years, but last year's trade was a blunder. 

Wouldn’t say it was a blunder. It was still a good deal for them. And it is a risk that if you wait till draft day then it doesn’t happen. 

If you get a great offer no reason to ignore it and wait. Things can get messy and end up falling apart the day of. 

Just now, Lith said:

Agreed.  And if a team is going to try to trade up early, I think SF's #2 pick is what they would want.  If a team really wants Haskins  -- Giants, Skins, Dolphins, Broncos or someone else -- are you going to move up to 3 now and risk being jumped by someone who gets to 2. 

If you can't work out a deal with 49ers, then wait until draft day and look to deal with jets, assuming your guy is on the board at 3.

Hoping NYG trades with SF leaving us Bosa at 3

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Wouldn’t say it was a blunder. It was still a good deal for them. And it is a risk that if you wait till draft day then it doesn’t happen. 

If you get a great offer no reason to ignore it and wait. Things can get messy and end up falling apart the day of. 

Agreed.  We overpaid by a significant amount to get that deal done early.  Had they waited and Sam went #2, they don't get anywhere near as much to trade down.  Had they waited and Sam was available, they might have gotten more.  From a risk management perspective, they made a good decision.  And had Sam gone #2, it would have gone down as a disaster of a trade for us most likely.  

Everybody won that one.  Except maybe BUF who really, really wanted to get up and grab Sam.  

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

That's what at the heart of the matter.

Last year the Giants had Saquan as the top prospect in the draft.... & rightly so.

It would require a boatload of picks to jump the Jets. SF has BOSA/Williams as the top pick..... Would they risk missing on one of those players to move down to #6 or #10, #11 OR 13 OR 15? I don't think so.

Jets are in the Catbird seat

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The price for many of these trades is more or less worked out before the draft.  At least the basis for these trades.

The one that took the risk was mccagnan as he had no clue who he was going to get.

He did know that at least one of the top 4 QB's would be there at #3. Not so at #6. Great move by Macc especially doing it early (3/17) when the price was less.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Last year the Giants had Saquan as the top prospect in the draft.... & rightly so.

It would require a boatload of picks to jump the Jets. SF has BOSA/Williams as the top pick..... Would they risk missing on one of those players to move down to #6 or #10, #11 OR 13 OR 15? I don't think so.

Now we just have to wait (and pray) for that trading partner.

Yes, we would have had to give up at least this years 1st to move up once it was clear that Darnold was going to be there.

But, no one including the colts thought Baker was going #1. If the Browns took Darnold then the value for the 3rd pick is the same or less than what we paid.

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

He did know that at least one of the top 4 QB's would be there at #3. Not so at #6. Great move by Macc especially doing it early (3/17) when the price was less.

Wut?  Price less?  He gave up a premium.  The teams negotiate a price well ahead of time.  He paid a premium price (3 2nd rounders for moving from 6 to 3)  It is not even close value wise just looking at the value chart.

30 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I'd be shocked if the Jets traded before the draft. Too many variables. Murray to the Cards still seems surreal to me, no matter how many times I see it. When the time comes, one or two of Murray, Bosa, or Haskins will be available, and the Jets should be able to pull off a trade (provided they're not in love with Bosa - another variable). But beforehand, they can set up parameters with a team who wants Haskins and another that wants Bosa and one that wants Murray and then just sit back and watch the first two picks unfold. I'm sure they're trying to get themselves set up just like that (if they haven't already). 

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The price for many of these trades is more or less worked out before the draft.  At least the basis for these trades.

The one that took the risk was mccagnan as he had no clue who he was going to get.

I really think Mac traded to #3 expecting to land Mayfield. Whether or not he was genuinely happy to get Darnold instead, I don't know. Have to believe he was much happier than if Mayfield and Darnold went #1 & 2. Once Mayfield went #1, that was something I really thought could've happened. 

1 hour ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

That trade wasn’t a blunder. Hypothetically he could have gotten more or less. Hypothetical arguments are moot. He’s done a good job for them.

2 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I agree...

BUT, if the Jets assume their #1 target is there at #3 then that's how they price the pick.  They could trade it tomorrow if some team comes to them with a big enough offer that the Jets are willing to walk away from Nick Bosa, Josh Allen or Q. Williams.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

That trade wasn’t a blunder. Hypothetically he could have gotten more or less. Hypothetical arguments are moot. He’s done a good job for them.

I guess “blunder” would be the wrong term. “Selling too soon” is a better way to put it. It’s just like selling a stock when selling it at $15 a share when you could have gotten $20, but in the end you made out good on a $7 investment 

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree...

BUT, if the Jets assume their #1 target is there at #3 then that's how they price the pick.  They could trade it tomorrow if some team comes to them with a big enough offer that the Jets are willing to walk away from Nick Bosa, Josh Allen or Q. Williams.

It may be a big enough offer, but they could get a bigger one by waiting until that player is on the clock. Teams will get jumpy knowing that the player they want is there and they only have 15 minutes to make a decision. 

Agreed  ?

uh, not for nothing but the trade value of the draft picks used for the jets to move up was weighted in the colt's favor.  it's possible that they may have gotten a little more but from some other team.  imo the jets still would've gotten rosen or allen so this whole pressure thing is a little overblown.

as for trading down on draft day, can mac make a decision within the 15 minutes alloted for the draft choice?  maybe so but i suspect they would have something pretty much worked out with one or more teams before the pick is on the clock.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wut?  Price less?  He gave up a premium.  The teams negotiate a price well ahead of time.  He paid a premium price (3 2nd rounders for moving from 6 to 3)  It is not even close value wise just looking at the value chart.

That cold Canadian air freeze your brain ? Use your head. If Macc had waited till draft day when Sam was still there at #3 WTF do you think the price would have been ? I'm positive it would have included this years #1. Bills, Cards were also in a bidding war for a QB.

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

That cold Canadian air freeze your brain ? Use your head. If Macc had waited till draft day when Sam was still there at #3 WTF do you think the price would have been ? I'm positive it would have included this years #1. Bills, Cards were also in a bidding war for a QB.

No, he would have paid the same.  They were moving from 6 to 3 not 15 to 3.  Three 2nd round picks to move from 6 to 3 in any draft is a premium price to pay.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, he would have paid the same.  They were moving from 6 to 3 not 15 to 3.  Three 2nd round picks to move from 6 to 3 in any draft is a premium price to pay.

Stick your draft value charts. You always pay a premium when going after a QB. Supply and demand for the top FB position.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What is a catbird

3 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I guess “blunder” would be the wrong term. “Selling too soon” is a better way to put it. It’s just like selling a stock when selling it at $15 a share when you could have gotten $20, but in the end you made out good on a $7 investment 

Yeah, I can agree with that, but it’s still only something we know in hindsight. 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets gave up:

2019 6th Overall

2019 2nd Round Pick

2019 2nd Round Pick

2020 2nd Round Pick

The Redskins gave up:

2012 6th overall

2012 2nd round pick

2013 1st Round Pick

2014 1st Round Pick

The Jets did not pay a premium. They got off really light by not having to give up multiple 1st round picks over the next couple of years. It was a very good trade for the Jets considering that Darnold landed in their laps. The value chart goes out of the window when QB's are in play. It's always been that way.

Archived