Raiders working out both Murray and Haskins

slats

Nothing could be better for the Jets' prospects of trading down this year. 

Raiders working out Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins next week

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 25, 2019, 10:16 AM EDT
ap_18365812879678-e1546944571338.jpg?w=5
AP

The Raiders have expressed all the confidence in the world in quarterback Derek Carr.

But they’re still doing their homework on potential replacements.

According to Albert Breer of SI.com, the Raiders are having private workouts with Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray and Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins back-to-back next week.

That will involve some travel, as such workouts have to happen near the player’s campus or hometown, but it will also give the Raiders braintrust an apples-to-apples comparison of the two, if they’re thinking about using the fourth pick in the draft (or moving around) for a rookie quarterback.

It’s also interesting as it pertains to the future of Carr, who has four years and $78 million in non-guaranteed money left on his deal.

“Derek is 27, he’ll be 28 in March, and we think he’s a franchise quarterback,” General Manager Mike Mayock said. “The other piece of that is a G.M. and a coach have to look to upgrade the roster at every single position. So do I think there are a whole lot of quarterbacks out there better than Derek? No. But is it my job to always check, and look? Yeah.”

The Raiders also have extra draft capital, and could ostensibly make a move up if the Cardinals didn’t want to use their top pick on a quarterback for the second straight year.

the fact that the raiders are interested helps the jets tremendously.  teams know if they want one of these guys they may very well have to leap frog over the raiders now to ensure they get their man which means calling the jets.  I have gotten no indication yet that the 49ers are looking to trade out, I think they very much want to make the choice between quinnen williams and joey bosa at 2. 

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Gruden wants to trade out so bad lol.

I don't buy this ruse 

Not at all!

I don't think so. They already have two additional late firsts and a high second. 

This news could be one of three things. Either they're just doing their due diligence as Mayock suggests, or they're legitimately looking to replace Carr, or they're blowing serious smoke hoping someone else trades ahead of them so they can land the blue-chip defender they desire. 

And all of those scenarios are good for the Jets. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think so. They already have two additional late firsts and a high second. 

This news could be one of three things. Either they're just doing their due diligence as Mayock suggests, or they're legitimately looking to replace Carr, or they're blowing serious smoke hoping someone else trades ahead of them so they can land the blue-chip defender they desire. 

No downside for them in trying to slide the 2nd QB above them if they are looking for a specific defender to fall to them.  Right now they are probably going to have a choice of one of the big-3.  Get Haskins up there and they have a choice of 2 with no cost to them.  I think it's just gamesmanship.

I mean...giving up on Carr would be crazy.  Kind of like giving up on a premium edge rusher or a really good, young WR.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

Read the article 

He's kicking tires 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Read the article 

He's kicking tires 

I did read the article. Which NFL team is actually showing all their cards at this stage of the game? You think it’s the Raiders? 

IMHO, the denials only help the Jets' position: 

Jon Gruden: Derek Carr will be our quarterback

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2019, 5:01 PM EDT
ap_18322809089061-e1542580507973.jpg?w=5
Getty Images

Raiders coach Jon Gruden insists that Derek Carr is his starting quarterback for the 2019 season.

Despite the Raiders’ plans to work out Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray and Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, Gruden says Carr, not a rookie, will be the starter.

“Yeah, he’s going to be our quarterback,” Gruden told Jim Trotter of NFL Network. “I’m not going to address all the rumors. I could care less about the rumors, you know? He threw for 4,100 yards. Threw for almost 70 percent in a very dire, tough circumstance. So I’ve got a lot of confidence in Carr, what he can do with Antonio Brown, with Tyrell Williams, with Trent Brown coming in here to help our offensive line, with a better defense. I’m excited about Carr.”

Gruden said the meetings with quarterbacks are no different than their meetings with “a lot of guys at every position” and that Gruden wants to make the right pick with the fourth overall pick.

Realistically, if the Raiders choose Murray or Haskins, Carr is on the way out. But right now, Gruden says he’s sticking with Carr.

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Chad Forbes throwing out there saying Redskins and Raiders could make a deal because of the Gruden connection

Well then call me a fool 'cuz I just jumped Oakland in JN Mock Draft

Carr could be cut next year for a $10mil Cap Saving. I needed to get in front of Raiders.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Chad Forbes throwing out there saying Redskins and Raiders could make a deal because of the Gruden connection

Just imagine if that trade went through, then the Giants came calling. I would want both 1st rounders and their 2nd round pick. With the Redskins in the 4th slot, there's a very good chance one of the big 3 defensive studs being there at 6. That's one trade I would make.

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I've seen on twitter that Raiders probably wanna draft Devin White...and teams could look to trade up ahead of them for him. So we got that going for us too. 

No Paul Guenther doesn't believe in drafting lb's early .  His philosophy has always been you can get them later.       Raiders are most likely drafting the best pass rusher De on their board.   Probably would take Q Williams if he dropped to them.   ( might not get pass rushing De  at 24 - so their is a risk if they pass on de with their first of three first round picks.

7 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No Paul Guenther doesn't believe in drafting lb's early .  His philosophy has always been you can get them later.       Raiders are most likely drafting the best pass rusher De on their board.   Probably would take Q Williams if he dropped to them.   ( might not get pass rushing De  at 24 - so their is a risk if they pass on de with their first of three first round picks.

Raiders would probably love to get allen and need the jets to trade out of 3 to get him.  Makes sense, after the Mack trade.  

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I've seen on twitter that Raiders probably wanna draft Devin White...and teams could look to trade up ahead of them for him. So we got that going for us too. 

Jet,  I don't see anyone drafting Devon White in the top 4 picks of this draft, and that includes the Raiders, even if they're crazy about him.  He's an excellent player, top 10-15 worthy for sure, but top 4 is a reach.

If they are working out these two QB's it may be ruse to get the Giants at #6 or the Lions at #8 to trade up for Haskins, allowing them to slide back to one of those spots for White.  if he is indeed the intended target.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

What if the Raiders get a big offer for Carr? - he is older and they are not ready to make a run, just don't see a team that is ready to make a run if they had a QB - Vikings and Jaguars are committed, who would pay up for him?

Carr is 27.  

Archived