Marcus Maye is 26

nico002

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

What the ****?

Drafting older rookies consistently is a terrible idea. Not enough room to grow. Since 2015, we have drafted a ton of players that were at least 24 years old as rookies:

Maye,Stewart,Donahue,Shepherd,Shell, Simon, Harrison, Peake, Nickerson and Cannon were all older rookies coming out. These players were at least 24 years old as rookies. I didn’t count our Punter Edwards because that position is completely different than offense and defense.

We also drafted a TON of 23 year olds which is still borderline old and odd for developmental prospects. Limited upside jags or complete busts. I’m all for player development and taking flyers but older rookies that have reached their physical ceilings already, are starting off on the wrong foot and is a terrible strategy. 

Why does this ******* matter?  Marcus Maye is signed through 2020.  He will be 27.  Do you guys think his performance will suffer at that age? Shepherd will be 28 in the last year of his deal.  They will still be in their primes.  If you can get a discount on a guy because of age, take it.  The problem is that a bunch of you guys think you draft guys to have on the team for 10 years.  You don't 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yet Darnold and Leo were only 20. Young?  Old?  What does it all mean???  

All of Mac’s 1st rounders have been talented and very young. Primed to develop. All 21 year old rookies. That’s the ideal way to do it. At least he prioritized age as a factor with these premium picks. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why does this ******* matter?  Marcus Maye is signed through 2020.  He will be 27.  Do you guys think his performance will suffer at that age? Shepherd will be 28 in the last year of his deal.  They will still be in their primes.  If you can get a discount on a guy because of age, take it.  The problem is that a bunch of you guys think you draft guys to have on the team for 10 years.  You don't 

Woah buddy, getting ahead of yourself here.  Let's see if he's worth a 2nd contract first.  We haven't had any of those under Macc yet. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that 10 years is not realistic. I think that the older age of prospects limits their ceilings and are the wrong type of players to take. At least the strictly developmental ones. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

All of Mac’s 1st rounders have been talented and very young. Primed to develop. All 21 year old rookies. That’s the ideal way to do it. At least he prioritized age as a factor with these premium picks. 

Right.  I would agree with that. Not a requisite, but it's a decent philosophy.  I like that it really does look like we aren't all that interested in the over 30 guys at the moment. A true youth movement going on around here.  

Darnold is yet to even turn 22. Leo and Lee were both 21 when drafted. Adams is turning 24 in his 3rd year playing. Shepherd and Maye were questionable picks at best, the age is just the cherry on top. Mac has quite a few failures but the age is not really an issue for these picks.

Maye's a good player though, just needs to stay healthy.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Despite the fact that we're in the middle of our 3rd or 4th rebuild under Macc, we're currently something like the 10th oldest roster in the NFL.

Big Macccccc

uh we're tied with Denver and Baltimore so we are in the 17th give or take 1 or 2 depending on details of the "ages" 

Factor in Grandpa McCown and we are probably closer to the top 10 in YOUNGEST teams since the difference is: .3 years. 

yes mac has been what he is, but this team is pretty young the average age of the roster today is 25.4 which would make us the 3rd youngest team.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

uh we're tied with Denver and Baltimore so we are in the 17th give or take 1 or 2 depending on details of the "ages" 

Factor in Grandpa McCown and we are probably closer to the top 10 in YOUNGEST teams since the difference is: .3 years. 

yes mac has been what he is, but this team is pretty young the average age of the roster today is 25.4 which would make us the 3rd youngest team. 

Not bringing back McCown made a huge difference!

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Despite the fact that we're in the middle of our 3rd or 4th rebuild under Macc, we're currently something like the 10th oldest roster in the NFL.

Big Macccccc

Not promoting Macc here, but how long do you believe a "rebuild" in the NFL should be expected to take?

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Not promoting Macc here, but how long do you believe a "rebuild in the NFL should be expected to take?

There's no such thing as a rebuild in the NFL, really.  It's all about building a pipeline of homegrown talent, every year.  Then, you can go "all in" with free agent spending.

Had we been doing that in the drafts prior to Darnold, we'd be in great shape right now.  Instead, we were forced to acquire guys other teams let go, because Macc has yet to draft a player of significance who has proven worthy of a 2nd contract. 

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’d say a bigger issue is that he sucks sh*t and gets hurt all the time

Hey man. He's a record setting player! Not everyone can say that.   He has the longest INT not going for a TD in NFL history.  This doesn't please you? 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no such thing as a rebuild in the NFL, really.  It's all about building a pipeline of homegrown talent, every year.  Then, you can go "all in" with free agent spending.

Had we been doing that in the drafts prior to Darnold, we'd be in great shape right now.  Instead, we were forced to acquire guys other teams let go, because Macc has yet to draft a player of significance who has proven worthy of a 2nd contract. 

But as simple as it sounds very few get to go this route.  

Seattle has been rebuilding.  Giants.  GB has been.  49rs for years, etc.  Hard to hit on a high enough percentage of draft picks to keep that pipeline supporting a NFL roster

Would be great to be able to restock like Pitt and NE, youre right

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Big Macccccc

The only thing with that 10th, or 17th youngest list is that the difference between the Jets at 17th youngest roster and the youngest NFL roster is all of .8 of a year per player difference.  Most of the teams are bunched up.  Rosters arent really young or really old anymore.

And the SB Champions are the 3rd oldest

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The only thing with that 10th, or 17th youngest list is that the difference between the Jets at 17th youngest roster and the youngest NFL roster is all of .8 of a year per player difference.  Most of the teams are bunched up.  Rosters arent really young or really old anymore.

And the SB Champions are the 3rd oldest

Good point

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not promoting Macc here, but how long do you believe a "rebuild" in the NFL should be expected to take?

What do you think is fair/reasonable? I’m curious. 

I personally think it should take no longer than 3 years from tear down to playoff contention. 

YEAR 1: Tear down the team by cutting old vets or trading players that won’t fit the timeline of the rebuild. Sign only young FAs that will fit the timeline of the rebuild.

Accumulate as many draft assets as possible via trades or trade down during draft unless great FQB prospect is available a when you pick. I’d prioritize building the foundation first but you can’t skip a great prospect at the most important position on the field if he’s attainable. You get a FQB when you have the opportunity to.

YEAR 2: Continue signing younger vets via FA. Most likely have a top 10 pick from the “tear down” so continue to weigh trading down vs. premium position depending on options.

YEAR 3: More of the same but at this point the GM should have accumulated enough overall talent via decent drafting/FA and properly planning for this timeline. QB is young and either on year 1,2 or 3 of his career depending on when drafted but should have a strong supporting cast.  

If a QB was only drafted in year 3, I’d maybe be lenient on playoffs but would still expect 8-8 or 9-7 just because of a quality team already being constructed and rookie QB being in the best position to succeed. 

Those are just VERY broad examples of what I think is fair and patient for a reasonable rebuild. If you wait too long, you run into contract issues and losing the talent that you accumulated. There is much more to it but this post is long enough haha.

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What do you think is fair/reasonable? I’m curious. 

I personally think it should take no longer than 3 years from tear down to playoff contention. 

YEAR 1: Tear down the team by cutting old vets or trading players that won’t fit the timeline of the rebuild. Sign only young FAs that will fit the timeline of the rebuild.

Accumulate as many draft assets as possible via trades or trade down during draft unless great FQB prospect is available a when you pick. I’d prioritize building the foundation first but you can’t skip a great prospect at the most important position on the field if he’s attainable. You get a FQB when you have the opportunity to.

YEAR 2: Continue signing younger vets via FA. Most likely have a top 10 pick from the “tear down” so continue to weigh trading down vs. premium position depending on options.

YEAR 3: More of the same but at this point the GM should have accumulated enough overall talent via decent drafting/FA and properly planning for this timeline. QB is young and either on year 1,2 or 3 of his career depending on when drafted but should have a strong supporting cast.  

If a QB was only drafted in year 3, I’d maybe be lenient on playoffs but would still expect 8-8 or 9-7 just because of a quality team already being constructed and rookie QB being in the best position to succeed. 

Those are just VERY broad examples of what I think is fair and patient for a reasonable rebuild. If you wait too long, you run into contract issues and losing the talent that you accumulated. There is much more to it but this post is long enough haha.

For me, I would say 3 years is a fair amount of time to see results from a "rebuild" project. You should expect to see results in that third year.

Again, no commentary on Macc here. 

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't understand your comment of "fact" of "3rd or 4th rebuild" under Macc then ?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah I dont get it. I know many hate Macc but Maye was a real solid pick. We clearly missed him last year.  In a perfect world do we wish he could be younger? Of course but he is still young with a lot of football ahead of him

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

For me, I would say 3 years is a fair amount of time to see results from a "rebuild" project. You should expect to see results in that third year.

Again, no commentary on Macc here. 

Yeah this has nothing to do with Macc. It’s just a rough guideline for any team no matter how bad. Trading down like Cleveland was able to do and being outright terrible sometimes put you in a great spot for these type of total rebuilds.

This is why I’d like to add a draft pick haul(if possible) to what we have already done, especially to make up for picks that we missed. It’s great early on when you first start a rebuild but it can also help fill many holes if you are off schedule which I feel we are. I’m a big trade down guy. Always have been. 

Archived