Montez Sweat

Jetsfan80

Posted this in a Josh Allen thread:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/3/18249222/combine-five-thoughts-day-5-pass-rushers-nick-bosa-josh-allen

Mississippi State’s Montez Sweat was the clear winner on the day. The 6-foot-6, 260-pound edge rusher clocked an official 4.41 in the 40—a record for defensive linemen. Times for the 40 can get overblown for pass rushers, but Sweat’s 1.5-second 10-yard split was the second best among edge defenders (TCU’s Ben Banogu, who also dominated virtually every test, finished with a 1.47) and indicates an excellent initial burst. To go along with that performance, Sweat recorded a broad jump that landed in the 92nd percentile among edge rushers since 1999 and a three-cone drill time in the 83rd percentile. Sweat was already considered a potential first-round pick heading into the combine, and he likely moved up a few draft boards on Sunday.

Is there any compelling reason why Sweat wouldn't be a solid option, either at 3 or after trading down a few spots?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/3/18249222/combine-five-thoughts-day-5-pass-rushers-nick-bosa-josh-allen

Is there any compelling reason why Sweat wouldn't be a solid option, either at 3 or after trading down a few spots?

Mediocre production and then a heart condition. Brian Burns is a safer pick at this point. Allen and Bosa are much safer choices.

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Mediocre production and then a heart condition. Brian Burns is a safer pick at this point. Allen and Bosa are much safer choices.

30 TFL and 22.5 sacks over the last 2 years in the SEC is mediocre production? If so, we can use some more mediocre performers....

2 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

30 TFL and 22.5 sacks over the last 2 years in the SEC is mediocre production? If so, we can use some more mediocre performers....

Someone who did research

Just now, J_Smith said:

Playing next to Jeffery Simmons who, if not for being a bad human and having torn an ACL, would be a top 10 pick. Sweat is good and there’s a lot to like about his profile but he’s far from polished especially in comparison to Allen or Bosa.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it means getting a couple of extra 2nd rounders and future 1st rounder, than I'll sum up my feelings about Sweat in 2 words: SIGN MEUP

28 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Mediocre production and then a heart condition. Brian Burns is a safer pick at this point.

Not that I place all trust in this guy as I don't know for sure how he comes up exactly with these metrics but according to him, Sweat's production is at least that of former Pro Bowlers but not as much as All Pros. Definitely better than your average starter. 

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think hes viewed pretty much as a base 4-3 DE in the NFL.  

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Playing next to Jeffery Simmons who, if not for being a bad human and having torn an ACL, would be a top 10 pick. Sweat is good and there’s a lot to like about his profile but he’s far from polished especially in comparison to Allen or Bosa.

Bosa played on a defensive line full of future nfl players, as did Q Williams, so I’m not sure how that negativity effects your view of sweat?

one of the reasons I’m so impressed with Josh Allen, is because he was the only player offenses had to game plan around. He still put up huge numbers. Looked good in coverage too the couple times i watched him play 

i think sweat would be a great pickup in a trade down scenario. I don’t think he’s polished either, which make his numbers more impressive 

24 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Bosa played on a defensive line full of future nfl players, as did Q Williams, so I’m not sure how that negativity effects your view of sweat?

one of the reasons I’m so impressed with Josh Allen, is because he was the only player offenses had to game plan around. He still put up huge numbers. Looked good in coverage too the couple times i watched him play 

i think sweat would be a great pickup in a trade down scenario. I don’t think he’s polished either, which make his numbers more impressive 

Let me be clear about Sweat. I really like him but he’s definitely not Allen or Bosa and is more likely to bust than either. If we trade down into the teens and get Sweat plus a second rounder or 2 then I’m all for it. 

Allen is underrated in my mind. He’s excellent in coverage and as a pushrusher.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He didn't hit either of the Waldo numbers. I'd be interested to see what his pSPARQ is.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Had to google him, no thanks.  Montez Sweat: 'I've matured a lot' since getting kicked out of Michigan State'

1 minute ago, jack48 said:

I thought I read that he had an actual physical heart issue

No one knows due HIPPAA rules but supposedly people were aware of it before he even went to college and doctors always cleared him to play

If Sweat falls to round 2 because of this trade back into the 2nd rd and snatch him up 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

He didn't hit either of the Waldo numbers. I'd be interested to see what his pSPARQ is.

Which metrics does he miss? (A genuine question)

Everything points to Josh Allen being a very good but not great athlete. Then he also has the production and skillset that makes him a usage metric darling. It makes sense to choose Allen.

The best end in this class might have spent the past three years playing nose tackle for a red-assed moron. Just look at the stupid tape. He turned down every program in the country to stay home for that? The NFL is bad enough. The NCAA is a criminal cartel and there's something wrong with a world where Houston doesn't so much as get called out for all of the ******* money they cost this kid.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The best end in this class might have spent the past three years playing nose tackle for a red-assed moron. Just look at the stupid tape. He turned down every program in the country to stay home for that? The NFL is bad enough. The NCAA is a criminal cartel and there's something wrong with a world where Houston doesn't so much as get called out for all of the ******* money they cost this kid.

Might be, trade down

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Which metrics does he miss? (A genuine question)

Everything points to Josh Allen being a very good but not great athlete. Then he also has the production and skillset that makes him a usage metric darling. It makes sense to choose Allen.

3 cone too slow, didnt jump far enough and didnt even attempt to jump high

What hes referring to is an old forum poster who found certain athletic benchmarks correlate very well with success for edge (linked below, second post in thread has details), both bosa and Allen fall in mid/low risk based on my calcs.

Oliver, who lonely farts is referring to above, hit the explosive power benchmark to make him low risk by this criteria

https://247sports.com/nfl/browns/Board/103068/Contents/INSANE-DE-amp-OLBs-Pass-Rusher-Metrics-and-Stats-70894318/

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

What hes referring to is an old forum poster who found certain athletic benchmarks correlate very well with success for edge (linked below, second post in thread has details), both bosa and Allen fall in mid/low risk based on my calcs.

Oliver, who lonely farts is referring to above, hit the explosive power benchmark to make him low risk by this criteria

https://247sports.com/nfl/browns/Board/103068/Contents/INSANE-DE-amp-OLBs-Pass-Rusher-Metrics-and-Stats-70894318/

Didnt Oliver quit this year?

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Who are you talking about?  You mean Allen.  I am pretty sure that @kdels62 was asking what metrics caused Sweat to miss the Waldo numbers.  I was asking the same thing.  His 3 cone, vert and broad were all better than solid.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Yeah but it’s not possible to find most of the Waldo metrics without a high jump.  Also most of those metrics are impossible to draw a real conclusion from without the high jump.

Also, yes, Ed Oliver is pretty awesome 

Archived