Gase speaks at League Meeting

Said he understands why there is some confusion on not keeping Jason Meyers and Andre Roberts. Said they liked both and were in negotiations with them but it just didn’t work out.(Jason and Roberts were looking to cash in.)

always wanna keep the guy that you have had success with but just didn’t work out that way. Said their special teams feels that they are good enough to field enough terrific unit.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Do you disagree?

Am I going to be pissed if he comes in, plays a great ILB, is the QB of the defense and provides the leadership he's noted for and isn't a culture changer?  

Thats kind of subjective, LB play isnt.

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Okay. First off they have their top 3 sackers back from last year (Anderson, Jenkins and Copeland). Second off, and I'm not quite sure if you know this or not, they have something called a draft pick near the top of the first round and all indications are that they are going to draft a OLBer named Josh Allen; don't know if you've heard of him.

I'm sorry to be crass but that part of the question is so stupid and you know it.

As for the CBs, I believe that better coaching by Gregg Williams can elevate them to a better level. IN fact, I believe that of the whole defense. 

I have always been of the belief with the Jets that the defense had talent but was not being coached well or at all. That's why getting Gregg Williams was massive for me

Lolololololololololololol.

The top 3 in sacks last year on a team that finished 16th in sacks last year means nothing.

All indications are that the Jets are looking to trade out of the #3 pick, not stay.

Greg Williams defense last year with the Browns had less sacks than the Jets and was worse against the rush and the pass with better CB's than the Jets. Those are facts.

I like the Williams signing too but he's not a miracle worker, he needs talent to run a decent defense. And arguably he did less with more than Bowles did with the Jets and Bowles is awful.

So "lol" all you want and call me "salty" but at least I'm living in reality.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Lolololololololololololol.

The top 3 in sacks last year on a team that finished 16th in sacks last year means nothing.

All indications are that the Jets are looking to trade out of the #3 pick, not stay.

Greg Williams defense last year with the Browns had less sacks than the Jets and was worse against the rush and the pass with better CB's than the Jets. Those are facts.

I like the Williams signing too but he's not a miracle worker, he needs talent to run a decent defense. And arguably he did less with more than Bowles did with the Jets and Bowles is awful.

So "lol" all you want and call me "salty" but at least I'm living in reality.

The indications are they will stay unless they get bowled over by an offer which is why they are saying we are open for business right now.

They finished 16th in sacks last year? That’s pretty good given where they have been recently. 

As for Williams the reason I believe in him so much is that the biggest complaint that I heard about the Jets defense last year had to do with technique and being in position to defend. That is the sign of a bad coach. And given his style, I believe that Gregg Williams can fix the biggest problem with the Jets defense last year. So yes, lolol and salty, at least for the first part because even if they do trade down, this draft is deep in pass rushing talent so that they can get one

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I think he has the perfect personality for a NY team. Doesn't give away any secrets or anything but actually answers the question in enough detail that you're satisfied. 

If you’re going to be a successful coach in NY, you need either brains with articulation and/or personality/an edge to you. He potentially can have both.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The indications are they will stay unless they get bowled over by an offer which is why they are saying we are open for business right now.

They finished 16th in sacks last year? That’s pretty good given where they have been recently. 

As for Williams the reason I believe in him so much is that the biggest complaint that I heard about the Jets defense last year had to do with technique and being in position to defend. That is the sign of a bad coach. And given his style, I believe that Gregg Williams can fix the biggest problem with the Jets defense last year. So yes, lolol and salty, at least for the first part because even if they do trade down, this draft is deep in pass rushing talent so that they can get one

Lol all indications are that they desperately want to trade down. Mac reminds people all the time. Would shocked if Jets dont trade down

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Cimini is still a tool with the for 17 mil he better change a lot of things.

Why?

Why teams shouldn’t break the bank on CJ Mosley in free agency

BY AUSTIN GAYLE • MAR 5, 2019

USATSI_11920790_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

C.J. Mosley is an above-average run defender with a first-round pedigree and five years of 875-plus defensive snaps under his belt. The young (26) ‘Bama product is expected to enter free agency as an unrestricted free agent in a class that lacks talent at off-ball linebacker, and the odds are that he signs a lucrative, multi-year contract that gives him top-five off-ball linebacker money for the aforementioned reasons.

But is he worth that kind of cash?

Dyko_PCWkAQxkt1.jpg

Diving into the five-year grades for every off-ball linebacker with 1,500-plus defensive snaps since 2014, Mosley’s 78.6 overall grade ranks 16th and his 87.0 run-defense grade ranks sixth among the 89 qualifiers. The concern is the replaceability (and therefore lack of value) of strong run defense and his lackluster coverage ability, as he ranks just 24th on the aforementioned list in coverage grade (73.8) and has earned a 73.0-plus single-season coverage grade just once in his career.

Mosley tied for 151st among qualifying defenders in PFF’s WAR (Wins Above Replacement) metric at 0.34 in 2018, and he tied for 25th among all off-ball linebackers; better coverage linebackers (i.e., Matt Milano, Cory Littleton, Zach Brown) all ranked significantly ahead of him.

In his career-best season from a coverage grade standpoint (2017), Mosley ranked seventh among qualifiers, but he has failed to recreate such a high mark in any other year of his career. His 66.5 coverage grade this past season tied for 17th at the position.

Good, not great coverage and strong run defense at off-ball linebacker can be added to the roster for far less than the price tag likely pinned to Mosley in free agency.

There's no doubt we overpaid for this player.  And, didn't we already invest the #6 overall pick in defensive leadership?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Why?

There's no doubt we overpaid for this player.  And, didn't we already invest the #6 overall pick in defensive leadership?

Because he just has to throw shade in any and everything he writes.  

As Gase said, one on the DL, one at LB and one in the secondary.

He was paid.  Everyone knew he would get paid.  He brings a lot to the table, he's going to be like B Scott, the QB of the D.  Forgive me if I dont get all on with PFF numbers.  

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

So where is the pass rush coming from and who are the good CB's? 

I mean, theoretically, the draft is where most of us expected them to, realistically, get a pass rusher.  That will, in turn, help the DBs who should benefit from not playing 20 yards off in zone coverage, which Bowles loved to do with our corners who are better at press man.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Then why did Mac act surprised and say, "I cant believe it, Darnold fell to us"?  

cleveland had a pick... No ?? Everyone was saying the Giants were going with Saquon but with Cleveland taking Mayfield maybe Macc felt the Giants would pounce on Darnold and they didn't . Not much more than that. If the Browns took Darnold Mayfield would be our QB right now and I guess you could not go wrong with either guy

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Have to agree here completely.

Macc knew with probably 99.999% certainty that he'd land either Darnold or Mayfield.  There was only one QB being taken before he drafted at #3.  It was an incredibly shrewd trade up a month before the Draft.  I give Macc a lot of crap for a lot of things but he hit a total home run on that one.

Exactly why the constant negative slant by some that he was lucky beyond belief is not only wrong but nothing more than people refusing to give the guy a stitch of credit, even when deserved.

Some even rotate from he was lucky to it was Heimerdinger who should get credit.  Somehow the same trade if made by Macc was luck and if not due to luck and credit needs to be handed out the credit goes to someone else.  LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Because he just has to throw shade in any and everything he writes.  

As Gase said, one on the DL, one at LB and one in the secondary.

He was paid.  Everyone knew he would get paid.  He brings a lot to the table, he's going to be like B Scott, the QB of the D.  Forgive me if I dont get all on with PFF numbers 

The Jets have won very few games over the past few years.  Negativity is Objectivity, unfortunately.

And just because everyone knew he would get paid doesn't mean you should be the team to do it.  We paid Bart Scott a ton of money too, his play fell off and his contract was a burden.  This was not a great signing, even if he performs at an above average level for the next couple of seasons.  Big money for a low-value position.  Worse when you consider that we spent a 1 on ILB not long ago, and have the highest paid tandem in the league.

Player Team Age Total 
Value
Avg./Year Total 
Guaranteed
Fully 
Guaranteed
Free 
Agency
C.J. Mosley Jets 27 $85,000,000 $17,000,000 $51,000,000 $43,000,000 2024 UFA
Luke Kuechly Panthers 28 $61,795,295 $12,359,059 $34,363,324 $27,000,000 2022 UFA
Bobby Wagner Seahawks 29 $43,000,000 $10,750,000 $21,977,427 $8,977,427 2020 UFA
Alec Ogletree Giants 28 $42,000,000 $10,500,000 $31,369,000 $18,907,529 2022 UFA
Benardrick McKinney Texans 27 $50,000,000 $10,000,000 $22,163,880 $16,163,880 2024 UFA
Eric Kendricks Vikings 27 $50,000,000 $10,000,000 $22,938,080 $11,638,080 2024 UFA
Anthony Hitchens Chiefs 27 $45,000,000 $9,000,000 $25,090,000 $21,290,000 2023 UFA
Demario Davis Saints 30 $24,000,000 $8,000,000 $16,000,000 $16,000,000 2021 Void
Avery Williamson Jets 27 $22,500,000 $7,500,000 $16,000,000 $16,000,000 2021 UFA
Danny Trevathan Bears 29 $28,000,000 $7,000,000 $15,500,000 $13,500,000 2020 UFA

Mosely averages 5M more than the next highest ILB.  This was a complete overspend.  He's not an elite player.  He's a good player.  We're paying him as a top 10 defender in the league.  Is he a top 10 defender in the league?

• Upvote 2

Apparently Jonotthan Harrison could be our starting center. I don’t have Gase’s quote but he mentioned that we play against mostly 4-3 defenses where Harrison won’t have a big NT up against him all day. He liked Harrison’s play after he replaced Long. I’m guessing as a center against 4-3 defenses you are either helping out your guards on double teams or trying to block a linebacker  and maybe that’s Harrison’s strengths? Either that or the Jets need a position or 2 that they can have on the cheap and they have a cheap player that can be an average starter and that’s a big win for the team.

• Sympathy 1

I don't understand how some of you don't get that Macc knew or 'had a hunch' the Giants were going Barkley. I'll never claim to be a draftnik and even I knew they were drafting him. What do you people do for a living? Don't you ever know stuff about your competitors before most others do? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, theoretically, the draft is where most of us expected them to, realistically, get a pass rusher.  That will, in turn, help the DBs who should benefit from not playing 20 yards off in zone coverage, which Bowles loved to do with our corners who are better at press man.

Assume this is aimed at me...

By no means is PFF the gold standard of anything.  But, in 2019, they write an article called "Why teams shouldn't break the bank on CJ Mosely" and in 2018, they write an article called "2018 free agents to avoid" and Trumaine Johnson is the photo they use, and the 1st one listed, perhaps it's worth considering that these players may not be great investments.  I mean, the Johnson article seems pretty solid today, no?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

The Jets have won very few games over the past few years.  Negativity is Objectivity, unfortunately.

And just because everyone knew he would get paid doesn't mean you should be the team to do it.  We paid Bart Scott a ton of money too, his play fell off and his contract was a burden.  This was not a great signing, even if he performs at an above average level for the next couple of seasons.  Big money for a low-value position.  Worse when you consider that we spent a 1 on ILB not long ago, and have the highest paid tandem in the league.

Player Team Age Total 
Value
Avg./Year Total 
Guaranteed
Fully 
Guaranteed
Free 
Agency
C.J. Mosley Jets 27 $85,000,000 $17,000,000 $51,000,000 $43,000,000 2024 UFA
Luke Kuechly Panthers 28 $61,795,295 $12,359,059 $34,363,324 $27,000,000 2022 UFA
Bobby Wagner Seahawks 29 $43,000,000 $10,750,000 $21,977,427 $8,977,427 2020 UFA
Alec Ogletree Giants 28 $42,000,000 $10,500,000 $31,369,000 $18,907,529 2022 UFA
Benardrick McKinney Texans 27 $50,000,000 $10,000,000 $22,163,880 $16,163,880 2024 UFA
Eric Kendricks Vikings 27 $50,000,000 $10,000,000 $22,938,080 $11,638,080 2024 UFA
Anthony Hitchens Chiefs 27 $45,000,000 $9,000,000 $25,090,000 $21,290,000 2023 UFA
Demario Davis Saints 30 $24,000,000 $8,000,000 $16,000,000 $16,000,000 2021 Void
Avery Williamson Jets 27 $22,500,000 $7,500,000 $16,000,000 $16,000,000 2021 UFA
Danny Trevathan Bears 29 $28,000,000 $7,000,000 $15,500,000 $13,500,000 2020 UFA

Mosely averages 5M more than the next highest ILB.  This was a complete overspend.  He's not an elite player.  He's a good player.  We're paying him as a top 10 defender in the league.  Is he a top 10 defender in the league?

Hes been covering the team for 30 or so years?  Hes been here for good times too.  Was always negative.

The Jets got what they wanted out of Scott.  Mosley is better than all those on he list and the youngest.