Gase speaks at League Meeting

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Why?

There's no doubt we overpaid for this player.  And, didn't we already invest the #6 overall pick in defensive leadership?

Mosley is going to do what Greg Williams expects him to do and Im sure Williams had a say in this move. He's not going to be playing him to his weaknesses but too his strengths which are elite run stopper and interior pressure on the QB via the blitz.  With him and Williamson we have the best interior LB combo in the league or at least one of the best. Not sure how anyone can turn that into a negative but stopping the run in situations like the 4th quarter when you need to get the ball back in a close game is going to be huge and how many times have we seen our defense get run over and lose close games in the 4th quarter simply because we could not get the ball back into our explosive offenses hands :) In other words Lee playing out of positions In Idiot Todd Bowles defense.

Mosley is going to be huge in defending the short passing game as well (backs out of the backfield between the hash marks) simply by reaction time alone . I'm not looking for Mosely to lock on to guys running routes I'm looking for him to react and make plays when they come into his area. Lee and Adams will be the guys designated to coverage. Mosely is going to be a beast and our defense up the middle will be top notch

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes been covering the team for 30 or so years?  Hes been here for good times too.  Was always negative.

The Jets got what they wanted out of Scott.  Mosley is better than all those on he list and the youngest.

Mosely is not 5M/year better the Kuechly.  Sorry.

And, again, ILB is a low value position.

• Thumb Down 1

Wow, actual insight and not just glib answers. I do like the idea of Bell and Crowder working off each other and busting zones while Sam moves around and does his thing.  OL: “We’re a work in progress right now” Thank the mighty football gods they realize this. It took an O HC to make it a priority, hopefully...

18 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I think Lee gets traded at around draft time. The math simply doesn't add up, unless they can somehow trade Avery Williamson, which is doubtful

I think Gase means Lee is an outside LB as opposed to inside.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, theoretically, the draft is where most of us expected them to, realistically, get a pass rusher.  That will, in turn, help the DBs who should benefit from not playing 20 yards off in zone coverage, which Bowles loved to do with our corners who are better at press man.

I think most of us thought they'd use some of the $100 million to plug the most glaring hole in this defense since Abraham. They tried to give Barr $15 million per year and that didn't work. So instead they did nothing. Perfect.

Jets must of liked something about Mosley an awful lot to overpay like that. We have a lot of money tied up in our linebackers. Hope it pays off. 

I got more info in that hour from Gase than we did in 4 years of Bowles. Gase has a plan and works his plan and he has procedures and he’s done it all before. Imagine if we brought in a first time head coach? There is no way he could get all the work done that Gase is getting done. A new head coach would be miles behind what Gase has done. Gase was the best choice for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

First of all contracts have nothing to do with whos the better player.  Its supply and demand when you become a FA.  Kuechly signed 4 years ago.  They redid that deal.  If I give you Kuechly Mosley is better than all the others on the list and cashed out as a FA.  Not shocking.

Hes going to help the defense.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the ILB is a low value position is nonsense that somehow has become a JN mantra.  Seau, Lambert, Butkus, Singletary, Ray Lewis, Z Thomas, S Mills, the list goes on and on.  Theyre also the QBs of the D

• Upvote 2

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

Wow, actual insight and not just glib answers. I do like the idea of Bell and Crowder working off each other and busting zones while Sam moves around and does his thing. 

I think Gase means Lee is an outside LB as opposed to inside.

Crowder and Bell are going to be terrors in the short passing game ...same kind of short passing game the Patriots made a living out of for the past 18 years. When they start getting chunks of yards teams will have to respect that and that will open everything up for the WR's and the TE. 

If Darnold is everything we think he is this offense will be top ten next year and be a number 1 WR away from elite status of course this all hinges on Darnold and that's not a bad place to be in considering where we have been the last 20 years

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Kuechly extension is 16.3 per year.... stop... He had 2 years left at 6 million per/year.... The Panthers extended him early to get cap relief.... and a "Discount" https://overthecap.com/player/luke-kuechly/1184/

All these narratives saying that they overpaid... It was market rate for one of the best ILB in the league

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think most of us thought they'd use some of the $100 million to plug the most glaring hole in this defense since Abraham. They tried to give Barr $15 million per year and that didn't work. So instead they did nothing. Perfect.

They did nothing.  Gotcha

Was looking at the sack numbers last year between the Browns and the Jets.  The Browns had 2 fewer sacks than the Jets as a team but they had the guy with the most sacks (Myles Garrett with 13.5). The Jets' sacks were more spread out. So if we can add that top pass rusher who gets a lot of sacks individually we will be in good shape. 

Allen could be that player or Bosa for that matter. 

Yes, the Jets overpaid for Mosley. But they had to, as they wanted to pry him away from the Ravens. If the offers were equal, or even close, he would have just stayed in Baltimore.

As it was, the Ravens were prepared to make him the highest paid ILB in the NFL. I think I read that their last offer was for around $14M a year.

So, at $17M a year, the Jets 'overpaid' compared to the Ravens' offer. But they did what they had to do to get him to sign. Given that he's an elite player at his position, I have no problem with them pushing the financial envelope to secure his signature.

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Mosley is going to do what Greg Williams expects him to do and Im sure Williams had a say in this move. He's not going to be playing him to his weaknesses but too his strengths which are elite run stopper and interior pressure on the QB via the blitz.  With him and Williamson we have the best interior LB combo in the league or at least one of the best. Not sure how anyone can turn that into a negative but stopping the run in situations like the 4th quarter when you need to get the ball back in a close game is going to be huge and how many times have we seen our defense get run over and lose close games in the 4th quarter simply because we could not get the ball back into our explosive offenses hands :) In other words Lee playing out of positions In Idiot Todd Bowles defense.

Mosley is going to be huge in defending the short passing game as well (backs out of the backfield between the hash marks) simply by reaction time alone . I'm not looking for Mosely to lock on to guys running routes I'm looking for him to react and make plays when they come into his area. Lee and Adams will be the guys designated to coverage. Mosely is going to be a beast and our defense up the middle will be top notch

Looking forward to that interior pressure reproducing the 1.5 sacks over the past two years here!

This isn't a debate about if CJ Mosely is good.  He is.  The question is if he's worth 17M/per and to be the top paid ILB in football.  He isn't.

The question isn't if we have the "top ILB in the NFL."  We may.  The question is, does it matter?  Probably not.

Meanwhile, Baltimore, who was #1 in Total Defense and #1 in Points/Game let him go.  Didn't think he was essential to keep around.

Just now, TeddEY said:

Looking forward to that interior pressure reproducing the 1.5 sacks over the past two years here!

This isn't a debate about if CJ Mosely is good.  He is.  The question is if he's worth 17M/per and to be the top paid ILB in football.  He isn't.

The question isn't if we have the "top ILB in the NFL."  We may.  The question is, does it matter?  Probably not.

Meanwhile, Baltimore, who was #1 in Total Defense and #1 in Points/Game let him go.  Didn't think he was essential to keep around.

But if he's low value, why did they even make an offer for him?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

They didn't have the cap space to pay over 15/year... Which they offered him... 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

First of all contracts have nothing to do with whos the better player.  Its supply and demand when you become a FA.  Kuechly signed 4 years ago.  They redid that deal.  If I give you Kuechly Mosley is better than all the others on the list and cashed out as a FA.  Not shocking.

Hes going to help the defense.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the ILB is a low value position is nonsense that somehow has become a JN mantra.  Seau, Lambert, Butkus, Singletary, Ray Lewis, Z Thomas, S Mills, the list goes on and on.  Theyre also the QBs of the D

Then why, on average, are they one of the lowest compensated positions in the league?

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yes, the Jets overpaid for Mosley. But they had to, as they wanted to pry him away from the Ravens. If the offers were equal, or even close, he would have just stayed in Baltimore.

As it was, the Ravens were prepared to make him the highest paid ILB in the NFL. I think I read that their last offer was for around $14M a year.

So, at $17M a year, the Jets 'overpaid' compared to the Ravens' offer. But they did what they had to do to get him to sign. Given that he's an elite player at his position, I have no problem with them pushing the financial envelope to secure his signature.

Kuechly was the highest paid at 16.3 Mil per year... the Panthers gave him a 3 year extension to his rookie deal at that rate... The overall number is lower because they are counting the 2 years he had left on his rookie deal at 6 Million per year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The question isn't about money. The question is are we better with Mosley or without him. The answer is we're better with him. Who gives a sh*t what they paid him or anybody in FA? It's about winning games not pinching pennies.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Crowder and Bell are going to be terrors in the short passing game ...same kind of short passing game the Patriots made a living out of for the past 18 years. When they start getting chunks of yards teams will have to respect that and that will open everything up for the WR's and the TE. 

If Darnold is everything we think he is this offense will be top ten next year and be a number 1 WR away from elite status of course this all hinges on Darnold and that's not a bad place to be in considering where we have been the last 20 years

Sadly, yeah. If you cant beat'em... Jets* - I could deal with an * if emulating the Pats* means Sam walking away with two fists full of jewelry. Just emulate the offensive system though not the cheating, those scumbags they are.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Where are you getting this info. I would actually like to see this list

He is wrong on his numbers as most of these fans and beat writers are that claim they vastly overpaid... They paid market rate for one of the best ILB in the league. Kuechly, as I keep stating got a 3 year extension on his rookie contract at 16.3 Mill per year 4 years ago...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Then why, on average, are they one of the lowest compensated positions in the league?

2019 Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $24,865,000 $22,783,000
DE $17,128,000 $14,360,000
WR $16,787,000 $14,794,000
CB $16,022,000 $13,703,000
LB $15,443,000 $13,222,000
DT $15,209,000 $12,378,000
OL $14,067,000 $12,866,000
RB $11,214,000 $9,099,000
S $11,150,000 $9,531,000
TE $10,387,000 $8,815,000
ST $4,971,000

$4,537,000

They're right in the middle of the pack. This is based on the average of the Top 5 at each position.