How Peyton Manning Swayed Trevor Siemian to Sign with Jets

stugotz81

Cool, I guess.

How Peyton Manning Swayed Trevor Siemian to Sign with Jets

Ethan Greenberg

TEAM REPORTER

Trevor Siemian

Trevor Siemian
Before the Jets hired Adam Gase to be their next head coach, future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning gave his endorsement of his former offensive coordinator. Two months later, Manning’s played a role in quarterback Trevor Siemian’s decision to sign with the Green & White.

“I texted Peyton and just went back and forth with him, but he obviously thinks a lot of Coach Gase,” said Siemian, who was deciding to sign with either the Jets or the Vikings. “Being with some of the guys that were there in Denver when Coach Gase was there, before I had gotten there, they spoke really highly of him. That and a bunch of other reasons are why I’m here and I’m super excited.”

The fifth-year veteran was the Broncos’ 2015 seventh-round pick, the draft that followed Gase’s departure for Chicago. Now united in New York, Siemian is “beyond thrilled” to be with the Jets and Gase. 

“The pieces are here, no doubt,” he said. “But I think if you talk to a lot of teams in the spring, they’re pretty excited and rightfully so. The pieces are here. I think the exciting part as a player is you get to build it from the ground up and we got the right guys here. It’s just a matter of building it and we’ll see where we go.”

The 6’3”, 227-pounder feels he has developed a unique outlook on the game from his three seasons with the Broncos (2015-17), two of which included being around Manning, and one with Kirk Cousins and the Vikings (2018). Siemian has started 24 games in his career and thrown for 5,686 yards, 30 touchdowns and 24 interceptions while completing 59.3% of his passes.

“It was a great experience,” Siemian said of last season with Minnesota. “It was a really good room I got a chance to be a part of there. This will be my fifth year coming up, so it feels like each year I’m adding more things to my game and new perspective. Hopefully I can bring some of that here and help Sam (Darnold) and these guys win in any way I can.”

Serving as Darnold’s backup, Siemian believes the 22-year-old is going to be “just fine.” 

“I’ve played a little bit,” he said. “I know he played with Josh (McCown) last year and that helped him a whole lot, but I’ve played a little bit and I have a little perspective. I’ve been in a few places, so I'm just hoping to chip in any way I can.”

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/how-peyton-manning-swayed-trevor-siemian-to-sign-with-jets

3 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm sure Peyton has no interest in coaching but I would love to have him at camp just kind of shadowing Darnold, could be a great learning experience

Agreed. I'd really like to see him get into coaching. I think he has a lot to offer anyone.

4 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

so Peyton has a role in Gase coming here and now Siemian?  geez, wish someone had a role in Peyton coming out of the draft when the Jets had that pick!!

Parcels is like “sorry Peyton I think i’ll take a pass and draft a middle linebacker”

16 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I thought that it was Manning who said he didn't want to play for the Jets.

I always thought that too, but then I saw that show on "the Bills".  Apparently, Archie told Parcells that Peyton would declare for the draft if Parcells Guaranteed him he'd take him #1.  Parcells said no.  I mean are you kidding me???

and I always thought Belicheat did his whole "HC of the NYJ" thing to get back at the Jets for hiring him as HC, then getting Parcells and asking him to step aside until Parcels left.  Apparently not true either.  it was the whole Hess dying and uncertainty about new Jets ownership.  There was a feeling that it was down to Johnson and Jim Dolan.  could you even imagine?  I don't blame Belicheat if that's the case!

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually as wrong as it gets

You're right.  After Tuna said "Sorry Peyton, I think I'll take a pass," first he said "I don't need this Hall of Fame left tackle."  Then he said "I don't need that Hall of Fame left tackle." Then he said "This LB out of Virginia with 7 career sacks in the ACC will be the next LT!" 

It used to matter who our backup QB was - now don't know don't care. Also who in their right mind would say that Peyton Manning would help out the Jets anyway? This is the guy that stayed in college an xtra year so the Jets wouldn't pick him when we had 1st pick in the draft. Peyton Manning has his own agenda. If he's ever helped the Jets its because he feels guilt from not letting us draft him. Thanks but no thanks Peyton.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're right.  After Tuna said "Sorry Peyton, I think I'll take a pass," first he said "I don't need this Hall of Fame left tackle."  Then he said "I don't need that Hall of Fame left tackle." Then he said "This LB out of Virginia with 7 career sacks in the ACC will be the next LT!" 

Actually Tuna wouldnt promise Archie that if someone offered a boatload of picks he could say that he wouldnt do it. He never told him he wouldnt draft him.  Archie didnt want the Saints offering all their picks to grab him.  He was deathly afraid of his son going to a team that was so bad for his career.

As for the rest, he was trying to rebuild for a dying owner, was trying to get as many players as possible and totally screwed it up

7 hours ago, MaxAF said:

He’s making a lot more money doing commercials 

Yes he is....I agree.

But always remember, these guys are ALL egomaniacs and want to be the Chief of the NFL fraternity.

I can easily see someone like Manning taking a Head Football Operations/GM type role sometime in the future...just not sure it's with the NYJ.

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How?

Because he never said he wouldnt draft him and that wasnt the Manning issue.  The issue was they didnt want any team to make and offer for the Jet pick and have no idea where he was going

Archived