AAF Already Folding?

MichaelScott

36 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Not the NFLPA's job to help players challenge each other for jobs. 

It is their job to help players get the most out of their careers as they can.  Only my opinion of course, but I don't think they have done a very good job doing that.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope it doesn't fail.  Have to say I really enjoyed the way the games flowed.  Mostly fun games.

Think the NFL is foolish if it doesn't invest a few million in the league.  It's clear that the differences between NFL , and NCAA styles of play leaves a lot of these guys needing another year to adjust to NFL style.  OL in particular.  

9 hours ago, jgb said:

The last station on the line of young mens’ lifelong dreams doesn’t need a CBA. Play or go work at a car wash—negotiations complete.

NFLPA is a bargaining unit they need a CBA in place otherwise it’s members essentially have no rights

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Good point but I'm not sure if the players in the AAF intend to unionize. NFLPA would view them like college players - future potential members

Not sure if World League players had a union

College players are amateurs and therefore not in the NFLPA.  The AAF players are professionals 

Most likely what’s going on is AAF doesn’t want to negotiate a CBA so NFLPA is playing hardball 

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

College players are amateurs and therefore not in the NFLPA.  The AAF players are professionals 

Most likely what’s going on is AAF doesn’t want to negotiate a CBA so NFLPA is playing hardball 

Agreed.

One of the things I heard (or read) last night (not sure if  true or not) is that the NFLPA has negotiated workout/practice schedules to give players time off. Their supposed concern is if teams try to force bubble players to play in their offseason for the AAF as a way to get around the practice rules.

That makes sense. However, I didn't think the AAF was looking for  players that were already under NFL contracts. I know there is an agreement between the NFL and the AAF that the NFL cannot sign/poach AAF players while their season is going on

52 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This is a pure power play ... The AAF has exceeded expectations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I hope you are right I really enjoy the league.  Not so sure though.  They seem to be very cash strapped.  If I remember correctly they were late with their first payroll.

I think they were hoping for some help from the NFL as an developmental league.  NFL is to greedy 

36 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I hope you are right I really enjoy the league.  Not so sure though.  They seem to be very cash strapped.  If I remember correctly they were late with their first payroll.

I think they were hoping for some help from the NFL as an developmental league.  NFL is to greedy 

The cash problem was after week 2 but before Dundon bought in at $250 Million. That was the middle of February so there's no way they've burned through that cash yet. I think I saw somewhere that they have only gone through $70 Million since then, that's why I'm pretty sure it's a negotiating ploy. I guess we will see what happens! 

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I blame Singletary, he botched the return of Johnny Football. Like it or not we like to watch players we are familiar with. 

Its true. I have never like Manziel but even I was excited to see him play for the Express. I think the big thing going forward is league parity. If there's one team who wins everything every year, it will start to get stale

You would hope the league could exist as an unaffiliated league kind of like Independent leagues in baseball. I don’t think the NFL ever committed to this or any of the new leagues. There is a demand for football even minor league football after the NFL season. Based on what I read they seemed to have a business model that isn’t cheap with player salaries and benefits ok. In Arena football they kind of struggled and went out of business but resurfaced with lower salaries fewer teams etc. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I agree that the XFL will likely fail, but I think they have a better chance of succeeding only because I think it is hard to sell the public on teams that are nothing but a minor league feeder system for the NFL. 

The USFL did well, at least for a while, because they tried to compete with the NFL. If the XFL has enough money and can steal away better quality players and place teams in real markets (not salt lake city/birmingham) the interest could be there. 

Noway they can steal away better players. XFL players won't eve sniff 1 million dollars. Think I seen average pay is like $75k. 

Maybe if it was like hockey or baseball where you could see the young prospects coming up and they were property of an NFL team it would be viable 

That won't work because the teenagers are going to college to live that life and have that experience 

It's kinda just a flawed idea 

It's a bunch of guys that didn't make it already that are holding onto the dream 

Kinda just sad 

So they at least aren’t folding this week unless something goes down on Sunday. Watching Memphis vs Orlando. Hack still on the roster I guess but he’s buried and looks like Singleterry has had enough. He was actually kind of patient for him. The announcers kind of saying he’s (Mike S) still out of control. They have a memory esp when he was with the 49ers and exploded that day at Vernon Davis. It was a long time ago and Davis is still around and Mike can’t shake his rep as a wild man. Btw Johnny M injured early in the game. Silvers who replaced him not a bad Qb. You’d think he’ll get an invite to a camp. 

On 3/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, CTJetsFan said:

Agreed.

One of the things I heard (or read) last night (not sure if  true or not) is that the NFLPA has negotiated workout/practice schedules to give players time off. Their supposed concern is if teams try to force bubble players to play in their offseason for the AAF as a way to get around the practice rules.

That makes sense. However, I didn't think the AAF was looking for  players that were already under NFL contracts. I know there is an agreement between the NFL and the AAF that the NFL cannot sign/poach AAF players while their season is going on

Hypothetically, if you were a fringe player coming out of college with a dream of playing in the NFL, do you think you would be better off on an NFL practice squad or in a developmental league like the AAF. Someone asked me this recently and I wasnt really sure what to answer. 

Also, I would assume that practice squad players are not allowed to play in the league during the off season, correct? Or do PS players have a year to year contact? Are last years PS players still technically under contract during the offseason? I would think if the NFLPA gave the AAF access to teams PS players, it would help the AAF talent wise and also help the NFL by giving young players a way of showcasing themselves to the rest of the league. But if your a team, is the downside of injury greater than the potential upside of your PS player getting better and developing over the offseason? 

A PS salary would be higher. It’s at a min of $7600 per week or about 130 per if a player hangs on all season. In the Alliance they make about 80k for the season. But the injuries have to factor in and might be one reason the NFL won’t associate with them. Head injuries in the NFL could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. It could eventually take out the league. 

I tried watching a game on nfl network. It’s horrible. I feel like I’m watching a week 5 pre season game. Actually, it’s even worse. I looked at the league leaders in stats. No one stands out. Not one player has impressive numbers. Not even on defense. The league needs some personality, it’s just way too bland. 

I was thinking the new XFL would have no chance being that they are getting a late start, but I think Vince McMahon sees this and is going to add another level of entertainment. 

Prediction: AFL will fold before the new XFL

19 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Hypothetically, if you were a fringe player coming out of college with a dream of playing in the NFL, do you think you would be better off on an NFL practice squad or in a developmental league like the AAF. Someone asked me this recently and I wasnt really sure what to answer. 

Also, I would assume that practice squad players are not allowed to play in the league during the off season, correct? Or do PS players have a year to year contact? Are last years PS players still technically under contract during the offseason? I would think if the NFLPA gave the AAF access to teams PS players, it would help the AAF talent wise and also help the NFL by giving young players a way of showcasing themselves to the rest of the league. But if your a team, is the downside of injury greater than the potential upside of your PS player getting better and developing over the offseason? 

Why couldn't a player do both? Practice squads aren't formed until the season starts and they don't get multi-year deals. Unless the PS squad player is signed to the 90 man in the offsesson, they probably should try the AAF. 

Most of the guys in the AAF are probably fringe PS players at best with most trying to get a 2nd look.

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Why couldn't a player do both? Practice squads aren't formed until the season starts and they don't get multi-year deals. Unless the PS squad player is signed to the 90 man in the offsesson, they probably should try the AAF. 

Most of the guys in the AAF are probably fringe PS players at best with most trying to get a 2nd look.

I dont know why or if they can't do both. That's the question I'm asking. I can see the upside for a PS player to play for the AAF. They can possibly develop faster as a player while getting more exposure for themselves. I'm sure every team in the league has a scout(s) that are dedicated to watching games from other leagues i.e. CFL and now AAF and XFL for possible talent. 

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I believe PS players a team would like too retain are offered future contracts. Not sure how these are interpreted in the CBA and if a player with this type of contract would be eligible to play in the AAF or any other type league. 

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Well, looks like the AAF is suspending operations. Sucks, I liked having football on in the background while I got stuff done, even if it wasn't worth committing 100% of my attention to it was better than nothing. 

That's a shame. I liked the league. They put out a solid product. 

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

That's a shame. I liked the league. They put out a solid product. 

I know, I was actually looking forward to seeing how the playoffs shook out. I chose to root for the Hot Shots and they made a nice turnaround the last couple of games, I feel bad for the players. 

ESPN reporting on Inside the NFL that there will be an announcement at 5 PM that they are ceasing operation immediately. 

No more games, no playoffs, done.  

Sucks but they shouldn't have signed Manziel, kiss of death, LOL

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/source-aaf-immediately-suspend-operations

After eight weeks of games and less than one season into its existence, the Alliance of American Football is suspending operations Tuesday, a source told ESPN on Tuesday, confirming multiple reports.

The league had been struggling from the outset. After the first week of the season, Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon pledged a $250 million investment into the league and essentially became the league's owner.

At the time, the league shot down reports that it needed the money to stay afloat. Instead, sources told ESPN at the time there was an issue with a change in the payroll company they were using. Co-founder Charlie Ebersol told ESPN in January they had structured the league around a "sober business plan," because he believed he learned lessons from his father, Dick Ebersol, who helped run the first version of the XFL.

It was the first in a litany of issues that popped up surrounding the nascent league trying to be a complement to the NFL. Due to insurance issues, the Orlando Apollos had to move their practices three hours away to Kingsland, Georgia.

The league and Ebersol was sued by Robert Vanech, with Vanech claiming Ebersol cut him out of the idea for the league and then denied him credit. As part of the civil suit, Vanech released a document that appeared to be a business plan for the league -- including wanting to try and approach Vince McMahon for usage of the XFL name.

Instead, McMahon decided to start his own league, which is scheduled to launch next year.

The league last month also moved its title game from Las Vegas to Frisco, Texas. UNLV, which owns Sam Boyd Stadium, told ESPN after a public records request, "there was no signed agreement between UNLV and the Alliance of American Football/Legendary Field Exhibitions, LLC." The game was expected to be played there, though, as Sam Boyd Stadium had been selling tickets on its website as late as the day it was announced the game would be moving.

Even back in training camp, the league wouldn't allow independent reporters to view their preseason games in San Antonio.

Despite all this, ratings had remained fairly consistent for the league, with between 400,000 and 500,000 viewers often tuning in for games, according to ratings reports. And the league got a bump in attention after Johnny Manziel signed last month and was allocated to Memphis.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Alliance of American Football decided to suspend all football operations on Tuesday, according to ProFootballTalk.

The news comes just two weeks shy of the league’s initial postseason run. PFT reports that the league hasn’t folded but it “seems to be moving in that direction.”

That last paragraph reads as if the AAF is extending its hand to the NFL or others to ask for funding through the end of the year.  Plain and simple, they're paying a little too much for players.  I think that's what it comes down to.

Archived