AAF Already Folding?

MichaelScott

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

The question is what does the XFL have or is going to do for their outcome to differ and be successful?

Nothing, they have no chance or should I say the same chance that all the other failed leagues had

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing, they have no chance or should I say the same chance that all the other failed leagues had

Well, one thing to note is that McMahon just sold about $250M worth of WWE stock so at least he wont have to go looking for a hand out within weeks of opening day. I'd say at the very minimum the XFL will play a complete season and postseason. What happens from there on out is probably still not great chance of survival. I think the AAF did a lot of things right but I don't understand how they didn't have more cash available before week 1? Did they really anticipate attendance or tv viewership to be 3x what happened? 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Well, one thing to note is that McMahon just sold about $250M worth of WWE stock so at least he wont have to go looking for a hand out within weeks of opening day. I'd say at the very minimum the XFL will play a complete season and postseason. What happens from there on out is probably still not great chance of survival. I think the AAF did a lot of things right but I don't understand how they didn't have more cash available before week 1? Did they really anticipate attendance or tv viewership to be 3x what happened? 

I also think they screwed up placing teams in tiny markets and not doing a better job appealing to bettors and daily fantasy players. 

People across the country weren't going to tune in to see a team from Birmingham play a team from Salt Lake City. 

On 3/30/2019 at 11:06 PM, MichaelScott said:

Also, I would assume that practice squad players are not allowed to play in the league during the off season, correct? Or do PS players have a year to year contact? Are last years PS players still technically under contract during the offseason? I would think if the NFLPA gave the AAF access to teams PS players, it would help the AAF talent wise and also help the NFL by giving young players a way of showcasing themselves to the rest of the league. But if your a team, is the downside of injury greater than the potential upside of your PS player getting better and developing over the offseason? 

Apparently it looks like what I mentioned above is one of the major issue the AAF is having. I heard on the radio today that the immediate shut down of the league is due to an impasse between the AAF and the NFL/NFLPA over the use (not allowing use) of practice squad players. 

I personally really doubt that is the real reason they would fold 2/3 of the way through the season. The principle investors must be losing a fortune every week and they likely can cut some losses by forgoing the rest of the reason. That being said I can definitely see how not having access to fringe NFL level talent would definitely hurt the product they were able to field every week. 

Still, it's a shame. I was really hoping it would be able to function as a developmental league with all the NFL restrictions that make it difficult to develop and progress many players outside of the 1st and 2nd string guys. It sucks to have to cut 3rd, 4th, 5th round draft picks a year into their career if they don't shine right away. (YES, I know Mac sucks at drafting. But still.) 

4 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Rumor is that Dundon bought into the league just to get his hands on the app involving player tracking and next play call estimating technology used for betting. 

Yep, he played them. The fundamental flaw of the league was that there were not franchises and owners of those franchises. Had they gone that route they could have easily funded 2 or 3 seasons off of franchising fees and profit sharing. But they went alone, got bought by a coroporate raider who quite the game and took the ball home. Really sad. The AAF did not fail because of interest it failed because of the BS of corporate America.

6 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I think the AAF did a lot of things right but I don't understand how they didn't have more cash available before week 1? Did they really anticipate attendance or tv viewership to be 3x what happened? 

People tend to ignore reality when faced with what they want..like a lot of people on here ignore five years of failure in the hope that mac finally figured it all out

You’d think they would have finished the season with only two games left and the playoffs. But there seem to be other factors involved dealing with certain financial aspects like web content etc that had little to do with football. Actually the TV ratings were decent. This is like a hedge fund operation swooping in cherry picking out what they think has monetary value and  getting rid of everything else. Including jobs for a lot of people. They aren’t even paying air fare for players to travel home. 

Archived