Draft Quinnen Williams, Sign Ansah, Switch to 4-3

Philc1

Quinnen Williams is not only going to win rookie of the year next season I would be shocked if he also didn’t make the pro bowl as a rookie 

Ive been lobbying hard for Allen and we need an edge rusher but Holy Jesus this guy QW is going to be really good.  Allen who I like could be a bust and if he is we are back to square one.  QW is going to be an all-pro probably right away

I know I’ve said very recently that Ansah is an injury risk and teams are waiting on his next post-operative eval in April but that’s exactly why you strike now and try to sign him because he has zero leverage.  A modest offer at reasonable money like 2 years $24 million like what Justin Houston got can get this done 

Get the next great generational defensive player AND our first actual EDGE rusher in over a decade

I have no clue why everyone is so high in Q Williams.  Good looking player?  Yeah, one year, did nothing in the national champ game.

We've heard the same thing about leo williams, shelrich,  mo wilk, all going to be huge difference makers.  None of them are.

If the jets take this dude in this draft he better Fing be a pro bowler from year one.

Next year when we let leo williams go we can draft another DT with our 1st rounder.

After we gave  Henry Anderson that big deal it’s clear to me that we will be a Base 3-4 defense going forward.

Williams is a very good prospect but I don’t see him being as good as other even top defense tackle prospects like Donald, McCoy, Suh, 

I’d rather roll the dice on Josh Allen 

34 minutes ago, David Harris said:

After we gave  Henry Anderson that big deal it’s clear to me that we will be a Base 3-4 defense going forward.

Williams is a very good prospect but I don’t see him being as good as other even top defense tackle prospects like Donald, McCoy, Suh, 

If a trade down is possible I'd rather have them draft Ed Oliver.

51 minutes ago, David Harris said:

This.

But to @Philc1's point, I was really ready to see us move to a 4-3.  I think it would have been smart with the addition of Gregg Williams.  Several people have said that both Leo Williams and Darron Lee could operate better in a 4-3.  I don't know if that's true but it may not have been a bad idea to find out.  I think Lee at Weakside LB, Jenkins at the SAM spot and having two beasts like Leo and Quinnen in the middle could have been crazy.  Or, we could have gone with a traditional down DE at one spot.   Would a front 4 of Henry Anderson - McClendon - Leo - Bosa been bad?

In any case, the ship has sailed.  As evidenced by signing yet another ILB in Mosely (after Avery Williamson last year), and keeping the Anderson, Leo, McClendon group intact it's obvious we're a 3-4 team IMO.  Let's get Josh Allen and be done with it!  It will really turn our 4 person LB from a weakness 2 years ago to a strength.   Jenkins - Mosely - Williamson - Allen......that seems kinda killer!

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have no clue why everyone is so high in Q Williams.  Good looking player?  Yeah, one year, did nothing in the national champ game.

We've heard the same thing about leo williams, shelrich,  mo wilk, all going to be huge difference makers.  None of them are.

If the jets take this dude in this draft he better Fing be a pro bowler from year one.

Next year when we let leo williams go we can draft another DT with our 1st rounder.

So you gathered your opinion on him based on one game ? 

55 minutes ago, jetsons said:

If a trade down is possible I'd rather have them draft Ed Oliver.

Is that because he is terrific athlete cause he isn’t the player Quinnen is at all when it comes to dominating the point of attack.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

You don't sign Cj Mosely and  Henry Anderson if the plan wasn't to play 3-4 defense. The plan might be to play Q Williams( best player in this draft) at De with Henry Anderson at De.   The jets try to trade Leonard Williams( last year of his contract) for a second round pick.     Or they keep Leonard Williams this year to play De with Q Williams . They let L Williams go next year in free agency.        Basically you're replacing L Williams with a way cheaper replacement for five years. ( do you want to pay L Williams 14 million per year)  

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Quinnen Williams is not only going to win rookie of the year next season I would be shocked if he also didn’t make the pro bowl as a rookie 

Ive been lobbying hard for Allen and we need an edge rusher but Holy Jesus this guy QW is going to be really good.  Allen who I like could be a bust and if he is we are back to square one.  QW is going to be an all-pro probably right away

I know I’ve said very recently that Ansah is an injury risk and teams are waiting on his next post-operative eval in April but that’s exactly why you strike now and try to sign him because he has zero leverage.  A modest offer at reasonable money like 2 years $24 million like what Justin Houston got can get this done 

Get the next great generational defensive player AND our first actual EDGE rusher in over a decade

Man you are just obsessed with QW. I'd make a charity wager with you that he does not sniff the pro bowl, and is generally viewed as a WIP after year one.

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Is that because he is terrific athlete cause he isn’t the player Quinnen is at all when it comes to dominating the point of attack.

Because I think Oliver is the better player & will have a better NFL career... give it 3-5 yrs and we'll see.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.

But to @Philc1's point, I was really ready to see us move to a 4-3.  I think it would have been smart with the addition of Gregg Williams.  Several people have said that both Leo Williams and Darron Lee could operate better in a 4-3.  I don't know if that's true but it may not have been a bad idea to find out.  I think Lee at Weakside LB, Jenkins at the SAM spot and having two beasts like Leo and Quinnen in the middle could have been crazy.  Or, we could have gone with a traditional down DE at one spot.   Would a front 4 of Henry Anderson - McClendon - Leo - Bosa been bad?

In any case, the ship has sailed.  As evidenced by signing yet another ILB in Mosely (after Avery Williamson last year), and keeping the Anderson, Leo, McClendon group intact it's obvious we're a 3-4 team IMO.  Let's get Josh Allen and be done with it!  It will really turn our 4 person LB from a weakness 2 years ago to a strength.   Jenkins - Mosely - Williamson - Allen......that seems kinda killer!

I think you're on point regarding the current personnel. As I thought about it, it seems indeed a stretch at this point to convert to a true 4-3 at least for this season. I still would argue that Q. Williams is the best defensive player in this draft. He's truly gifted with his hands and you can't really teach that. 

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

jets cannot afford to roll the dice with their talent base.  Bust factor has to be calculated.  I dont know what each of these guys bust factor is, quite frankly

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

jets cannot afford to roll the dice with their talent base.  Bust factor has to be calculated.  I dont know what each of these guys bust factor is, quite frankly

Allen def has a decent bust potential to me. But if we can’t trade down I’d take him over a DT

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I agree, Q is the best player in this draft outside of Murray... but that is also why I think 49ers snag him... I think that Lynch really is torn between Bosa and Q as reports indicate. There is no reason to smoke screen that as there is no defensive talent in this draft worth trading up for. Nick is not his brother and coming off an injury, there is also no reason to think he won't be any less of a diva then Joey. 

Do I think the Jets should take Bosa at #3, I am not sure, I don't think he is the slam dunk that is talked about in these forums... When healthy I think he could be a game changer... but do you really want to put that much capital in a player that is coming into the draft off a major injury? There are plenty of examples showing each side of the argument.

I think if they don't trade down they have to draft Bosa... but in my opinion, I think Oliver is the player to get, sure he had a down year but man that guy is a game wrecker.

2 hours ago, Team archer said:

I said it once, ill say it again. **** drafting a DT at 3. I dont care who he is

what if he is as good as Aaron Donald?  What if Josh Allen is as good as Khalil Mack or Von Miller?  who do you take?

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Stay away from Ansah. We don't need to pay a guy to be hurt. I am not paying a guy that isn't on Justin Houston's level the same $$$$. 

As far as Q Williams goes, I'd prefer to not draft him but at this point, I'm prepared to support whomever Mac - Gase - and Williams decide is best fit for the defense.

16 minutes ago, jbt said:

what if he is as good as Aaron Donald?  What if Josh Allen is as good as Khalil Mack or Von Miller?  who do you take?

That's an interesting question.  Since the Jets have been roaming the desert looking for an edge rusher since 2006 we might be biased to take Mack over Donald but that might not be how the rest of league would see things...

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I also think Williams should be the pick is he's there but don't  know enough about Anash to agree with that part. 

We have a 21 YO franchise quarterback that needs help but here we are again. Another "cant miss" interior DL prospect? Yawn. It didnt work the last 4 times we did that.  I Know, I know....PrEsSurE uP tHe MidDlE. What's the definition of insanity again? 

6 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

We have a 21 YO franchise quarterback that needs help but here we are again. Another "cant miss" interior DL prospect? Yawn. It didnt work the last 4 times we did that.  I Know, I know....PrEsSurE uP tHe MidDlE. What's the definition of insanity again? 

If we can trade back and get a first round pick next year,  all for taking a WR or OL but neither  position is worth a top 10 pick in this draft. I'm not even sure about top 15. The difference between the best OL and the second best is not that great and nobody is barely even talking about WR in this draft. 

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I think you're on point regarding the current personnel. As I thought about it, it seems indeed a stretch at this point to convert to a true 4-3 at least for this season. I still would argue that Q. Williams is the best defensive player in this draft. He's truly gifted with his hands and you can't really teach that. 

If we draft Quinnen Williams I will probably roll my eyes, curse at the TV and then nod my head that he was the best defender in the Draft and it's hard to pass that up.

It's just that this search for an outside Edge rusher has taken so long and it's such an important position that it's starting to feel like the QB search since 2013.

What if we trade with the Redskins, obtain Jonathan Allen, and draft Brian Burns. There's a 4-3 front right there. And potentially a very good one.

Based on the Redskins speculation, that’s a roster player right there they could include in the trade up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived