Bears Trade Jordan Howard to Eagles for next to Nothing

CrazyCarl40

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jordan Howard has about the same amount of rushing yards in 3 seasons that Powell had in 8. There is no comparison. And it’s laughable you think this GM is capable of finding an offensive stud in the draft since he hasn’t in the first 4 years he’s been here. 

Howard isn't any better than Powell was. If he was the Bears wouldn't have given him up for nothing.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, genot said:

Darnold play's on the offense.No. How many carries and what is the yards per rush average. That's what count's. Who's laughing now.

Huh? The YPC are the same. I don’t know what you’re “laughing” about. They aren’t even close as far as who can be a feature back and who can’t. Also, Powell isn’t on the team anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Better at what exactly? I see Jordan and bunch of jags.  Just like we got bell and some jags .   There ain’t no difference between McGuire and Clement 

4.1 YPC vs. 3.3 YPC isn’t a difference? Watch how the Eagles, recent SB champions, deploy their RBs. Any of those guys can step in and start. If Bell goes down the Jets are effed. 

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Howard isn't any better than Powell was. If he was the Bears wouldn't have given him up for nothing.

This is untrue. Howard is much better than Powell. That’s as plain as day. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Huh? The YPC are the same. I don’t know what you’re “laughing” about. They aren’t even close as far as who can be a feature back and who can’t. Also, Powell isn’t on the team anymore. 

4.1 YPC vs. 3.3 YPC isn’t a difference? Watch how the Eagles, recent SB champions, deploy their RBs. Any of those guys can step in and start. If Bell goes down the Jets are effed. 

This is untrue. Howard is much better than Powell. That’s as plain as day. 

They're both Jags. Powell isn't on the team because he had a career threatening injury. Howards not with Bears because he isn't of any value to them. If he was, he'd still be there.

33 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And if Bell gets injured? Collectively the Eagles back are better and it’s not close. 

As long as Mac strengthens that offense of line, we should be fine with Maguire Cannon and Henderson. Maybe they even resign Paul or draft it back

2 minutes ago, genot said:

They're both Jags. Powell isn't on the team because he had a career threatening injury. Howards not with Bears because he isn't of any value to them. If he was, he'd still be there.

And if Bell was of value to the Steelers wouldn’t he still be there? Your arguments are based in logic. 

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

As long as Mac strengthens that offense of line, we should be fine with Maguire Cannon and Henderson. Maybe they even resign Paul or draft it back

So as long as Mac does something he’s never done we’ll be fine with the unproven guys who were not good last year? Got it. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And if Bell was of value to the Steelers wouldn’t he still be there? Your arguments are based in logic. 

So as long as Mac does something he’s never done we’ll be fine with the unproven guys who were not good last year? Got it. 

If you want top compare the Bell situation to Jordan Howard, fine. Mac doesn't like running backs neither. likes QB.s doesn't like RB's and O-lineman. Ok. I believe that.140878794.jpg.ac14bc01310ce908fe924b78fb72eda2.jpg

3 minutes ago, genot said:

If you want top compare the Bell situation to Jordan Howard, fine. Mac doesn't like running backs neither. likes QB.s doesn't like RB's and O-lineman. Ok. I believe that.

What in his drafting and free agency history before having to go out and get Bell shows he has put any worthwhile resources in to the Oline or running back? You’re not arguing in good faith and just ignoring history. 

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Glad we straightened that out. Bell = 52 mil. Howard = 2 mil. 

Good thing we didn't give a draft pick for a one year 2 million dollar backup RB. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What in his drafting and free agency history before having to go out and get Bell shows he has put any worthwhile resources in to the Oline or running back? You’re not arguing in good faith and just ignoring history. 

It's about the Quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Always has been. You think Mac would have signed Bell if Mccown was our QB. Why? Why draft an offensive player, when you have a higher grade on a defensive player. To build up Fitzpatrick and Mccown. It's different Now. We have a 21 yr old QB, with a very bright future. The scouting department is working harder than they have in 4 yrs, in hopes of finding more weapons to ignite the offense. We have a QB now

16 minutes ago, genot said:

It's about the Quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Always has been. You think Mac would have signed Bell if Mccown was our QB. Why? Why draft an offensive player, when you have a higher grade on a defensive player. To build up Fitzpatrick and Mccown. It's different Now. We have a 21 yr old QB, with a very bright future. The scouting department is working harder than they have in 4 yrs, in hopes of finding more weapons to ignite the offense. We have a QB now

Yes. Until you get the QB you should just ignore the offense so that when you get a QB, there’s nothing for them to work with. Solid planning. Are you Macc?

21 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Glad we straightened that out. Bell = 52 mil. Howard = 2 mil. 

Good thing we didn't give a draft pick for a one year 2 million dollar backup RB. 

Huh? Is this serious?

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Than who? The Jets have a better back but overall the stable that Philly has is much better than what the Jets have. 

Powell was drafted how long ago? And he was solid not much better than that. And again, the Jets have not found a good running back in the draft (since ?) and certainly Macc hasn’t. 

Better than Bell and the rest?

We'll see

2016: 5.2 yards per carry

2017: 4.1 yards per carry

2018: 3.9 yards per carry

2019: Taded to Eagles for 6th round pick. SALARY: $2,025,000

2020: Unrestricted Free Agent

That was a decent move by the Eagles, but I don't think Howard would have fit here backing up Le'Veon Bell. He's playing for his next contract and I imagine he would have been extremely unhappy getting half the offensive snaps he's used to. With the Eagles he'll have a chance to be the work horse. 

I think Mac is better off drafting a young running back to complement Bell, and let Elijah McGuire and Trenton Cannon compete for a roster spot. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. Until you get the QB you should just ignore the offense so that when you get a QB, there’s nothing for them to work with. Solid planning. Are you Macc?

Huh? Is this serious?

You don't ignore it. You build on it. How far away do you think we are on offense. Not that far, at all. A WR, a center, and next year a franchise LT, hopefully. To me, that's it. You talk like we're light years away from having an offense that can score a lot of point's.

26 minutes ago, genot said:

You don't ignore it. You build on it. How far away do you think we are on offense. Not that far, at all. A WR, a center, and next year a franchise LT, hopefully. To me, that's it. You talk like we're light years away from having an offense that can score a lot of point's.

I think the entire right side of the line is below average as well. I don’t trust Enunwa to stay healthy. There isn’t a blue chip receiver on the team that teams need to gameplan. I also think that if Bell goes down there is nothing behind him. 

27 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think the entire right side of the line is below average as well. I don’t trust Enunwa to stay healthy. There isn’t a blue chip receiver on the team that teams need to gameplan. I also think that if Bell goes down there is nothing behind him. 

Big Macccccc

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I agree with you about Enunwa. That's why we'll draft one or two Wr's and hope they develop, or can contribute right away. No team in the league has a perfect roster. If Bell gets hurt, our offense won't be as good. You can say that about every team. if it isn't running back depth, it's some other depth issue

1 hour ago, genot said:

I agree with you about Enunwa. That's why we'll draft one or two Wr's and hope they develop, or can contribute right away. No team in the league has a perfect roster. If Bell gets hurt, our offense won't be as good. You can say that about every team. if it isn't running back depth, it's some other depth issue

How many of the WRs has Macc drafted in his tenure that are still on the team? Or even in the NFL?

59 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

A one dimensional back, who has had that dimension diminishing greatly over the last 2 years.

And the ilk salivates over that. Go figure. 

The Jets have no viable backup running back and one was available cheaply. Just think that the Jets should be exploring all avenues for talented players. No one is salivating, just hoping for the best for our team!

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

How many of the WRs has Macc drafted in his tenure that are still on the team? Or even in the NFL?

Not many. Lol. Stewart was a huge bust. Hanson was a 4th rounder. We have Anderson and Herndon. Let's hope he finds another diamond in the middle rounds. I'm very high on Herndon. think he's the real deal.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets have no viable backup running back and one was available cheaply. Just think that the Jets should be exploring all avenues for talented players. No one is salivating, just hoping for the best for our team!

The Jets are NOT a "win this year"team. I think we can agree to that. Using a draft pick on a player on the last year of his rookie contract is not a smart utilization of assets. Particularly when that player is a role player on the Jets.

Howard is a between the tackles type of runner. He is best utilized to "wear teams down". He would not have that use with the Jets. As I mentioned earlier, his hands are non-existent. That, and his production has been in decline.

The Bears made it pretty well known they were shopping Howard. They were calling teams on him. The fact that he only fetched what he did in trade, lats you know what the rest of the league feels about him too.

If Macc had madethis trade, we should have stormed the building.

46 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets are NOT a "win this year"team. I think we can agree to that. Using a draft pick on a player on the last year of his rookie contract is not a smart utilization of assets. Particularly when that player is a role player on the Jets.

Howard is a between the tackles type of runner. He is best utilized to "wear teams down". He would not have that use with the Jets. As I mentioned earlier, his hands are non-existent. That, and his production has been in decline.

The Bears made it pretty well known they were shopping Howard. They were calling teams on him. The fact that he only fetched what he did in trade, lats you know what the rest of the league feels about him too.

If Macc had madethis trade, we should have stormed the building.

You think the Jets aren’t a win this year team? I’d say that with the money and capital invested, they had better at least compete for the playoffs or heads will likely roll. You don’t spend that type of coin they did to just win 6 games. They haven’t been in the playoffs in a number of years and it’s wearing thin on the fanbase. 

I’m not disagreeing with your assessment of Howard but he is a cheap, known commodity who would have been a capable replacement should Bell go down or get suspended or what have you. He’s 25 and he had more catches last year than most of the RBs on the Jets. I just don’t trust Macc to 1 - identify good talent in the draft and 2 - actually draft those players. Right now the talent is still lacking. A 6th rounder for Howard when they traded a 7th for Zac freakin’ Stacy is nothing. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You think the Jets aren’t a win this year team? I’d say that with the money and capital invested, they had better at least compete for the playoffs or heads will likely roll. You don’t spend that type of coin they did to just win 6 games. They haven’t been in the playoffs in a number of years and it’s wearing thin on the fanbase. 

I’m not disagreeing with your assessment of Howard but he is a cheap, known commodity who would have been a capable replacement should Bell go down or get suspended or what have you. He’s 25 and he had more catches last year than most of the RBs on the Jets. I just don’t trust Macc to 1 - identify good talent in the draft and 2 - actually draft those players. Right now the talent is still lacking. A 6th rounder for Howard when they traded a 7th for Zac freakin’ Stacy is nothing. 

Disagree. As does the majority of the NFL, based on return for Howard. 

Jordan Howard trade again shows Eagles prioritize compensatory picks

The Eagles’ decision to trade a 2020 third-day pick for Bears running back Jordan Howard is another example of the value Philadelphia places on compensatory picks.

That’s because Howard is heading into the final year of his rookie contract. At first blush, it might seem like trading for a player in the final year of his contract is unwise, as he could just leave in free agency next year. But if he does, that would help the Eagles acquire compensatory picks.

The NFL’s compensatory pick formula gives teams additional draft picks when they lose more free agents than they acquire. That has been a key part of the Eagles’ strategy, and in 2020 they’re poised to lead the way in compensatory picks, as they should get a third-round compensatory pick for losing Nick Foles, and two fourth-rounders for losing Golden Tate and Jordan Hicks.

The Eagles traded a third-round pick for Tate last year even though he was in the final season of his contract and has now left in free agency. Some questioned the wisdom of that, but Tate was a valuable player for the Eagles last season — he scored the winning touchdown in their playoff victory over the Bears — and he’ll produce a fourth-round pick for them next year.

Howard may end up doing the same: He could play a valuable role on the Eagles in 2019, and if that convinces some other team to out-bid the Eagles for him in free agency next year, the Eagles would get a compensatory pick for his departure. The Eagles aren’t just planning for what Howard can bring to the team this season, they’re planning for several seasons down the road. That’s what smart teams do.

7 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Jordan Howard trade again shows Eagles prioritize compensatory picks

The Eagles’ decision to trade a 2020 third-day pick for Bears running back Jordan Howard is another example of the value Philadelphia places on compensatory picks.

That’s because Howard is heading into the final year of his rookie contract. At first blush, it might seem like trading for a player in the final year of his contract is unwise, as he could just leave in free agency next year. But if he does, that would help the Eagles acquire compensatory picks.

The NFL’s compensatory pick formula gives teams additional draft picks when they lose more free agents than they acquire. That has been a key part of the Eagles’ strategy, and in 2020 they’re poised to lead the way in compensatory picks, as they should get a third-round compensatory pick for losing Nick Foles, and two fourth-rounders for losing Golden Tate and Jordan Hicks.

The Eagles traded a third-round pick for Tate last year even though he was in the final season of his contract and has now left in free agency. Some questioned the wisdom of that, but Tate was a valuable player for the Eagles last season — he scored the winning touchdown in their playoff victory over the Bears — and he’ll produce a fourth-round pick for them next year.

Howard may end up doing the same: He could play a valuable role on the Eagles in 2019, and if that convinces some other team to out-bid the Eagles for him in free agency next year, the Eagles would get a compensatory pick for his departure. The Eagles aren’t just planning for what Howard can bring to the team this season, they’re planning for several seasons down the road. That’s what smart teams do.

As the article states, there are no guaranteed manners of ensuring compensatory picks, It is a crap shoot.

Beside the point that Howard is just not that good, and would not be a fit with the Jets. That, and his declining productivity.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

2016: 5.2 yards per carry

2017: 4.1 yards per carry

2018: 3.9 yards per carry

2019: Taded to Eagles for 6th round pick. SALARY: $2,025,000

2020: Unrestricted Free Agent

That was a decent move by the Eagles, but I don't think Howard would have fit here backing up Le'Veon Bell. He's playing for his next contract and I imagine he would have been extremely unhappy getting half the offensive snaps he's used to. With the Eagles he'll have a chance to be the work horse. 

I think Mac is better off drafting a young running back to complement Bell, and let Elijah McGuire and Trenton Cannon compete for a roster spot. 

We've drafted several running backs (most recently McGuire, Cannon).  The question is when we go for a true Tier 1/2 RB in the Draft.  My guess is that we try to find Bell's true replacement in the 2021 Draft.

Archived