Jets bring back 3 including QB Davis Webb

joewilly12

Jets bring back three, including quarterback Davis Webb

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 28, 2019, 5:03 PM EDT
gettyimages-1018406608-e1541896173934.jp
Getty Images

The Jets have filled their depth chart at quarterback, at least for the time being.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Jets have re-signed quarterback Davis Webb, wide receiver Deontay Burnett, and defensive back Jeremy Clark.

All three were exclusive rights free agents, which means not really free agents at all since they can’t negotiate with other teams.

The Jets are in a holding pattern with veteran backup Josh McCown, but brought in Trevor Siemian last week to back up Sam Darnold.

Webb joined the Jets last season after spending his first year with the Giants, failing to latch on there despite being a third-round pick.

Burnett's chemistry with Sam cannot be overstated enough. For an UDFA he made enough of an impact to see if he can build something meaningful with Darnold. The guy made some really good plays last year and could be an important part of the offense if he continues to grow.

1 minute ago, jetscanes331 said:

Burnett's chemistry with Sam cannot be overstated enough. For an UDFA he made enough of an impact to see if he can build something meaningful with Darnold. The guy made some really good plays last year and could be an important part of the offense if he continues to grow.

Very excited to see what he can do in year 2 with Sam

5 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

yep.  burnett looked like he wanted to play unlike some of the vets.

2 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

It cannot be overstated enough.  So much of WR is feel for the position and Burnett has it, and he actually has the opportunity to have a much shorter learning curve given that he's with Sam. Burnett should be a solid 4WR with a ceiling of limiting the drop-off to basically nothing if crowder gets hurt.

As for Webb, as a 3rd QB, i dont know what else you could ask for.  Simien is a legit NFL backup with 30 starts under his belt and Webb still has time to develop and is already an NFL player as opposed to a rookie like most 3s.  Nothing to complain about

8 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Yea and he reminds me of ron burkett another great old receiver

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Webb sucks. Really like thay Siemian signing though.

Jets need a warm body to take snaps during the four preseason games.  I agree Webb is horrible he might not make the regular season roster

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

by the end of 2019:

Burnett>>>Crowder

I don't get it.  You make outrageous posts like this one and the one that says Quinnen Williams is some kind of made up "wonder" and then you get mad when someone like @Gastineau Lives calls you out on it.  What do you expect?

I have no problem with you or most of your posts but when you "poke the bee's nest",  you get what you get.  I like Burnett as  much as anyone, and am thrilled he will be back.  I am looking forward to him getting substantial playing time, that's why I'm on the fence about drafting a mid round wide receiver.  But claiming he will be better than Crowder, much less this season, is foolish.  It's like rooting for the team to fail.

As for Quinnen Williams, you belittle the stats he generated against "soft competition", yet in the next breath you sing the praises of Ed Oliver, who's "highlight film" features plays made against the likes of Rice University,  Tulsa, and that perennial powerhouse East Carolina University.  Like I saw you admonish another poster,  you are entitled to your opinion, but don't belittle the opinions of others just because you don't feel that way. That's a paraphrase, I don't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it.

Burnett is a favorite of mine. All for keeping him. have the same feeling about him blossoming into a good player that I did w/ Robby Anderson in his great 2016 preseason showing....and on that note, working with Chad Ochocinco so closely was also great for him. He kind of plays like a faster Bengals version of Chad Johnson. Creates good seperation on intermediate routes and can track the ball in the air well.

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

So Webb will be QB 3 for training camp and probably let go before next season starts. Burnett looks to be WR 4 and Clark a decent back-up. Definitely glad we brought these guys back. Good young depth. 

Agreed  Glad Macc brought them back. I'm looking forward to Sam reigniting that chemistry with Burnett. Hope Clark is 100 % and can contribute lots. Love his size.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I don't get it.  You make outrageous posts like this one and the one that says Quinnen Williams is some kind of made up "wonder" and then you get mad when someone like @Gastineau Lives calls you out on it.  What do you expect?

I have no problem with you or most of your posts but when you "poke the bee's nest",  you get what you get.  I like Burnett as  much as anyone, and am thrilled he will be back.  I am looking forward to him getting substantial playing time, that's why I'm on the fence about drafting a mid round wide receiver.  But claiming he will be better than Crowder, much less this season, is foolish.  It's like rooting for the team to fail.

As for Quinnen Williams, you belittle the stats he generated against "soft competition", yet in the next breath you sing the praises of Ed Oliver, who's "highlight film" features plays made against the likes of Rice University,  Tulsa, and that perennial powerhouse East Carolina University.  Like I saw you admonish another poster,  you are entitled to your opinion, but don't belittle the opinions of others just because you don't feel that way. That's a paraphrase, I don't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it.

wow you guys really took that too seriously (the burnett thing) 

was not meant to be taken so literally. 

at all. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets thought that Burnett was something special, why’d they give Crowder so much money to play his position? I’m rooting for the kid but it’s clear they don’t think he’s the goods. 

Crowder is a proven commodity while Burnett is still relatively an unknown at this level. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

wow you guys really took that too seriously (the burnett thing) 

was not meant to be taken so literally. 

at all. 

Very disappointed in your comment towards Gastineau. :sad: Uncalled for my friend.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Very disappointed in your comment towards Gastineau. :sad: Uncalled for my friend.

I must have been in my own private idaho, cause I wasn't out to be taken seriously during that exchange. Didn't obviously fly over that way. Guess thats on me. 

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets thought that Burnett was something special, why’d they give Crowder so much money to play his position? I’m rooting for the kid but it’s clear they don’t think he’s the goods. 

Crowder is an accomplished slot receiver, Burnett is an up and comer.   Can't have just 3 receivers.  Burnett will see time on 4 receiver sets and then some.

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Crowder is an accomplished slot receiver, Burnett is an up and comer.   Can't have just 3 receivers.  Burnett will see time on 4 receiver sets and then some.

I think you’ll see Bellamy in 4 wide sets before you see Burnett. 

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Burnett is a favorite of mine. All for keeping him. have the same feeling about him blossoming into a good player that I did w/ Robby Anderson in his great 2016 preseason showing....and on that note, working with Chad Ochocinco so closely was also great for him. He kind of plays like a faster Bengals version of Chad Johnson. Creates good seperation on intermediate routes and can track the ball in the air well.

I am glad they brought him back for an opportunity.  But I am more glad they signed Crowder.

You take 90 players to camp and not all will make it.  Webb is a training camp arm who was a 3rd round pick who they probably want to see a little more of.  They will probably bring in one more camp arm either a late round pick or more likely, an undrafted free agent, or Wofford.  Clark has the size/speed that you like to see in a CB and is worth a deeper look.  Burnett has shown a knack for getting open and has made some quality catches in a small sample size.  Those things and a comfort level with Sam gives him an excellent opportunity to make the team.

2 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Could very well be, but we need a returner as well.

Still do. Bellamy has never returned a punt and he’s returned 6 kicks in his career. None since 2016. Crowder doesn’t return kicks and the Skins took him off Punt returns last year. 

11 hours ago, Nixhead said:

So Webb will be QB 3 for training camp and probably let go before next season starts. Burnett looks to be WR 4 and Clark a decent back-up. Definitely glad we brought these guys back. Good young depth. 

If Webb shows enough at #3 either he stays or can possibly be traded based on potential.

I really like this kid. Great hands, good chemistry with Sam, stretches out and goes after the ball. Not sure why he didn’t get more opportunities last year but I think he has great potential. Not particularly big or fast but dude can catch the ball. Nice highlight film of him and Darnold.

12 hours ago, jetscanes331 said:

Pretty much this. Good signing. 

Archived