Article: It’s critical the New York Jets don’t fully commit to the rigid big board

stugotz81

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The difference between when Macc drafted Leo and Adams vs now is that those were positions that the Jets actually had open.

The Jets already have Steve Mclendon at that nose tackle position. I dont know if Q. Williams or Ed Oliver are true nose tackles

Forget it...if you think the NYJ had an 'open' DT spot when we took Leo at 6, nothing I'm saying is going to register with you anyway.  And the S at 6, and then again in the 2nd the year after was a special touch too.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When did Jawaan Taylor shoot up the draft board?  I must have missed that.

I don't recall him passing Jonah by, but that's what seems to be happening. Even Kirwan picked Taylor for the Jets in their mock today. 

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Last year every Raider fan was screaming for Derwin James , the Raiders reached for the best offensive tackle( major need) on their board.  ( they traded back) . LT Kolton Miller while didn't have a great year in 2018, ( being rookie going against premier pass rushers) still showed enough with more time you feel very comfortable that  he can be a very good starting LT in the NFL.( for next 10"years). 

Everyone thinks Trent Brown was signed to play LT , and Kolton Miller moving over to Rt. ( could happen) . Well last year everyone expected Donald Penn to be the left tackle , and K Miller the Rt for the Raiders . ( before moving to LT  in 2019)      It didn't happen , and Raiders went with Kolton Miller as their starting LT.

I see Kolton Miller staying at LT, and Trent Brown playing Rt.( B Parker another rookie Offense lineman was never suppose to play but started almost every game at Rt- he needs way more developmental than Miller.

Here is the point I would pass on Probowl safety every time, if I could get a starting caliber LT .    LT is just a more premier position than safety.   So if Kolton Miller develops into that LT, than it was great draft choice, if not than you're kicking yourself for passing on all pro safety.( looks much worse the pick.

Article bothers me. Taking a safety  early is imbecilic. If your BAP scouting tells you to take a safety in the 1st round in the NFL of 2019, they need to seek alternative employment forthwith. And everything this guy says after that is Charlie Brown's teacher at 2:59PM. 

fwiw...another perspective...maybe some see more...

Jawaan Taylor OL Florida

by Drew Boylhart • February 7, 2019 • Comments Offon Jawaan Taylor OL Florida

STRENGTHS
Jawaan has good size, and movement skills to play right tackle for the teams that selects him. He does a good job pass blocking and has the solid foot quickness to become an excellent run blocker. He shows the upper and lower body strength to handle the power pass rushers he will be up against at the next level and in general has the type of overall body type and athletic talent to become a solid offensive tackle for the team that selects him in this draft.

CONCERNS
Jawaan is a right tackle who has more talent to play at a higher level than his fellow left tackle…think about that. The question is, why isn’t he playing Left Tackle? He has improved but, I’m not going to tell you that this kid belongs at the next level right now because he doesn’t. He’s not quick enough and that’s because he weighs too much. He’s inconsistent pass blocking, using his hands because…well you tell me. Right now, Jawaan lacks the mental stamina and physical stamina and work ethic to become the player his athletic talent suggest that he can become.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2.11
His techniques are inconsistent, he doesn’t finish his blocks consistently, he carries too much weight, but he has the athletic talent to play Left Tackle! So, you tell me, why is everyone so crazy about this kid’s potential for the next level when he hasn’t reached his potential at the college level? Maybe this kid went to class and has enormous upside because he didn’t work out like the other players do. If that’s the case than Jawaan should become one of the better tackles in this draft but the truth is the great one’s have done both. They work as hard on the field as they do off the field. I’m not suggesting that Jawaan is not going to be good, but I am suggesting be careful what round you draft him in because he has a lot of work left to reach his potential and thinking he will do it the day after you select him (like so many are suggesting) right now, could be a big mistake. I think Jawaan can become a solid right tackle for the team that selects him. I also believe he can be moved inside and be a better guard than tackle but I have been wrong before and just maybe Jawaan’s upside is beyond my abilities to see that a pro bowl right tackle is in his future…or maybe not. For me personally, I’m going with not… but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t select him, it just means I think selecting him in the first round might be expecting too much of him at this point in his career.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we trade down anywhere in the Top 15 and take a Center there, I will start a riot.

Late 1st/Round 2 is where we should target a C.  No earlier. 

The center position in this draft is very thin there are 3 centers only 1 which is ready to start day 1 which is Garrett Bradbury. Center right now is the most glaring need and this draft has a center that's a lot like Mangold. so I know the center isn't a exciting pick but when the Jets committed 50 million to Bell plus traded to get Darnold picking up Garrett Bradbury at 15 would be a great pick plus a very safe pick that would sure up the center spot for the next decade.I doubt Bradbury makes it past the Rams as far as pass rushers are very deep in this draft there will be a ton lying around in the second.  if the Jets don't take Bosa or Allen  and trade back 15 spots really its more of a crap shoot then a sure thing. 

I tend to agree with this article and it immediately made me think of a Cowboys draft pick.

in 2013 they snagged Travis Frederick, a center projected 2nd or 3rd round at pick 31. I remember them getting ripped the next day for over-drafting him. I can’t remember who the analyst was, but only one made the argument of, how is it over-drafting if they just found their starting center for the next decade?

he has now made 4 pro bowls and we all know how good their line and running game have been 

i say take the most talented player at positions of need

3AAF7783-521F-4763-9E90-EE87DF212EE9.png

17 hours ago, stugotz81 said:

Strong pass on Quentin Williams for me as well.  Give me Bosa or Allen!  

It’s critical the New York Jets don’t fully commit to the rigid big board

By
 Robby Sabo
 -
 03/28/2019

Year after year, NFL Draft results prove “best available player” is fiction. It’s why the New York Jets can’t commit to the rigid big board.

Year after year, NFL Draft results prove “best available player” is fiction. It’s why the New York Jets can’t commit to the rigid big board.
Robby Sabo

The idea that Derwin James was a top-three selection one year ago today was a laughable, nonsensical notion. Hundreds of mocks had the now-Los Angeles Chargers stud safety chosen somewhere in the 7-to-10 range, but top three was out of the question.

Any thought put forth that suggested the New York Giants (No. 2) or Cleveland Browns (No. 4) select him that early was blasphemous. After all, the mock draft is law. It is the all-knowing bible that forced no team to ever consider deviation.

James eventually dropped to 17. He then finished as a First-Team All-Pro that capped off a phenomenal rookie campaign.

Draft results never match projected mocks. Results by way of productivity never match the actual slot selection. This information isn’t anything groundbreaking yet a teachable lesson must be remembered around this time every year.

Never should a team fully commit to the rigid big board.

Thanks to the craziness of NFL Draft season, the entire world seemingly locks themselves into certain preconceived notions. This season brings the same silly laws.

… how dare anybody think Rashan Gary could be chosen over Josh Allen.

… there’s no chance Drew Lock should go ahead of Dwayne Haskins.

… Jawaan Taylor could never be selected at third overall.

… no way Derwin James deserves to be selected over Denzel Ward (a 2018 goodie).

These ideas become concrete yet year after year, smash to pieces before our very eyes. Yet the world reverts back to similar preconceived notions the very next draft season.

For the New York Jets, it’s Nick Bosa, Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams. That’s it.

The mere mention of thinking left tackle at No. 3 throws the fanbase in a jolted state of hysteria. No way can Jawaan Taylor even be thought about when he’s projected in the latter part of the top 10.

Going in, there are two specific big boards in every draft room. There’s the generic board that attempts to decipher what the entirety of the league is thinking. This is used in a strategical form. Knowing the order of things is a must when on the horn with other organizations.

Then there’s the team big board that details priority based on two specific factors:

Best available player.
Best available player based on need.
“Best available player” is one hell of a loaded notion. As Derwin James proved a year ago (to go along with countless examples throughout the draft’s illustrious history), there’s really no such thing. The renaming of “best available player” to “best available player in the eyes of the organization” must come in swift form. More than an actual NFL reality, it’s a marketing ploy used to help conform the fanbase.

Through 28 total Mike Maccagnan selections, “best available player” has been the calling card.

Think Leonard Williams. New York was stocked at the 3-4 defensive end position at the time of Leo’s slippage. Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson were both in tow. Damon Harrison was even still in town. Despite not having a legitimate starting position for the USC product, Maccagnan tabbed him the No. 6 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Has the Big Cat worked out? I don’t know; you make the call. Personally, I expect more than 17 sacks and one Pro Bowl from of a “best talent in the pool” sort of player that simply couldn’t be turned away when the position was already set in-house. Either way, it forced Richardson to hilariously attempt to play out of position along the edge for the majority of the season while making it impossible for Todd Bowles to run a legitimate defense with quick enough edges.

“Best available player” has turned into just two offensive line selections over four seasons (zero over the last two). Both picks came in the fifth round (Jarvis Harrison in 2015 and Brandon Shell in 2016). The state of New York’s current O-line fits in with the worst in the league.

LT: Kelvin Beachum, 30 years old
LG: Kelechi Osemele, 30 years old (when training camp opens)
? N/A
RG: Brian Winters, 28 years old (when training camp opens)
RT: Brandon Shell, 27 years old
Of course, snagging either Nick Bosa and Josh Allen fit the bill. As dire as the offensive line looks, the defensive edge is just as rough. The problem comes when strategy stops there and nothing else can be entertained unless a trade commences.

Per Mike Maccagnan reports, the Jets have thrown the No. 3 pick on the market. It’s the absolute right move concerning the current 53-man depth chart. Without a second-round pick and needing edge rushers and line help desperately, trading down and collecting assets the no-doubt-about-it greatest possible move.

This is the area the generic big board needs to be rigidly abided by.

Based on projected selections is how these deals work. Mix in the projected draft with Jimmy Johnson‘s revised value draft chart and a clear formula is presented. If a trade doesn’t go down, however, there’s nothing outlandish in selecting Taylor with the No. 3 pick.

The Florida product is slated as this year’s top offensive lineman, ahead of Alabama’s Jonah Williams. The problem fans see is that he’s projected somewhere in the 6-to-10 range. It’d be considered blasphemy to think of Taylor at No. 3.

The Jets can’t think this way; not if they really like the kid.

To me, Quinnen Williams is a no-no. He plays Leo’s position, the 3-technique. He’s not bigger than Leo, meaning he and Leo together in the 4-3 base makes no sense. Leo’s sidekick in that scenario should be a 1-technique/nose tackle type. Quinnen works in the 3-4 opposite Leo, but where does that leave Henry Anderson? Moreover, as currently constituted, the subpackage look is already set with Leo and Henry along the interior.

Quinnen makes no sense with dire needs still on the table. But alas, the dreaded “best available player” may strike again (just as it did in 2015).

Then there’s Sam Darnold, the kid whose arm literally represents an entire future. Is Mike Maccagnan truly comfortable entering another season with a well below-average offensive line in front of the future of the organization?

Running on four years now, the O-line excuses have piled up. Like a terrible dream, each offseason presented a new narrative for why the line would suddenly improve.

In 2016, Ryan Clady‘s presence in replacing the deteriorating D’Brickashaw Ferguson would be enough. A year later, Kelvin Beachum replacing Clady and Wesley Johnson would infuse talent into a stale group. In 2018, Spencer Long would eliminate the scapegoat, Johnson, while Brian Winters would get back to his nasty ways after battling injuries all of 2017.

The patchwork never works. Until premium talent is drafted up front, Darnold will be left in a dangerous position. Even if a center is drafted in the third round, the line would still represent a scary proposition heading into the summer.

It’s why Jawaan Taylor or even Jonah Williams can’t be eliminated from the conversation at No. 3. There’s nothing more important right now than ensuring the organization’s health (Sam Darnold) and this includes edge.

Admittedly, I have no idea whether a Taylor gamble at No. 3 is the right choice. Both Bosa and Allen possess the goods at a position the Jets haven’t felt comfortable since John Abraham roamed Giants Stadium. But that’s why trading down is so critical; the two most important units of a football team (save for quarterback), offensive line and four-man conventional pass rush, are currently as bare as a Janet Jackson body part at the Super Bowl.

If a trade doesn’t happen, though, Mike Maccagnan cannot force himself into the silly “best available player” notion. It has to be edge or O-line. It has to remain flexible. And the lesson that the rigid big board going into every NFL Draft never turns out to hold truth must be written over 10 times on the war room white board.

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/03/28/new-york-jets-critical-do-not-fully-commit-to-rigid-big-board/

Best article I have read in a while. He is 100% correct. I suspect those that still cling to the myth of defense wins championships, will disagree

Missing on Barr doesn't allow Macc to go BPA. Barr was a hedge bet if Q.Williams was on the board at our pick. 

Only way you take Q.Williams now is if you trade Leo. Now I know there are Jet fans that would hate to trade Leo for a #2 pick, but imagine coming out of the draft with Q.Williams & either Deebo Samuel or Marquise Brown. 

I'd sign up for that in a second. We get cheaper at DT with a concensus top 3 pick, and we add a legit WR (Deebo reminds me of a young Golden Tate), tremendous YAC player which the Jets need badly.

I still think 2020 is our launch year, but I'm not crossing off 2019 & a playoff run just yet. Sams growth sitting 4 games last year & how he finished 2019, plus an entire offseason, all 1st team reps WITH 1st team players, with an offensive coach that has been a Head Coach & wasn't walking the Appellation trail for the last 5 years might help Sam develop even more. 

Archived