Thoughts on Adam Gase from "The Other Side"

keith075

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, keith075 said:

I haven't watched a lot of film on Darnold but I think he has the potential to be better than Tannehill.....and we were a playoff team with Tannehill upright.

I mean- we were "projected" to be the worst team in the league last year with 2 or 3 wins.  We started 3-0, lost our QB, then lost our backup QB.  Then we lost 4 of 5 starting linemen, our top corner and our top 3 receivers.  Then Frank Gore went down.  7-9 was an absolute miracle season under the circumstances....they should have given Gase the key to the city for that. 

Yet the front office convinced Ross (our idiot owner) that we were destined to remain 8-8 without completely gutting the roster of aging veterans and building thru the draft.  Ross said his official reason for firing Gase was that "he wanted to win now"...have you ever heard something so idiotic?  Who doesn't want to win in 2019?  What he meant though was that Gase felt like he could build a championship team in Miami with just a few more tweaks, while everyone else though we needed a complete overhaul.

I'll say it again though- we were 7-9 with basically our entire 1st string offense on injured reserve.  Gase should have got coach of the year for that miracle...and we beat the stinkin' Pats on the play of the year.

Here's one last thought- I think we can all agree that Peyton Manning was one of the smartest QB's to ever play the game.  Manning said that Gase elevated his game in the NFL more than any other coach he's ever worked with, and Peyton was at our training camp every year since retirement working with Gase and our QB's.  You don't get that kind of endorsement from football royalty by not being on another level....that's what our owner just gave up for a full rebuild season.  I think that one move will set Miami back years and it will put you guys 1st in the division in the very near future.  The Pats days are numbered and Gase is the only coach in the league above .500 against them (dating back to Denver)- you guys DEFINITELY got the best coach available in the league and you should be excited for 2019.

I mean, how many of you would start rooting for the Dolphins because your coach went there?  I grew up in South Florida and I'm among the biggest of fans around, yet I'm actually rooting for our division rivals this season because of Gase.  He won me over that much in a completely broken franchise.

I think Sperm is going to be upset that somebody is writing longer posts than his.

Oh, thanks for all the insight. I'm now excited to see how Gase uses Crowder, Herndon and Anderson let alone Bell

47 minutes ago, Joejet said:

My point was that someone with 5 posts probably shouldn’t be deciding who can or can’t post on this site.  You can certainly have an opinion but maybe you should wait a bit before you declare yourself the site overlord.

First of all,, I am not declaring myself as a site overlord, I am a Jet fan for over 50 years so I feel that I am entitled to my opinion no matter how many posts I have on here. So I will ask you to not judge me by how many posts I have expressed my opinions on....

1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

First of all,, I am not declaring myself as a site overlord, I am a Jet fan for over 50 years so I feel that I am entitled to my opinion no matter how many posts I have on here. So I will ask you to not judge me by how many posts I have expressed my opinions on....

You have 7 posts and 5 of them are whining about how your being prejudged. 

How about you have a constructive thought so we can condemn you more fairly. 

11 hours ago, keith075 said:

I 100% agree with you- I'll be a Fins fans for life.  I've been ride or die with them since I was a little kid....yet my owner and the head coach just traded away 90% of our talent.  We have a stud corner and an amazing pair of safeties- that's really all that's left to talk about.  And I'm supposed to spend $400 on the Sunday Ticket to watch them go 0-16?

Sorry, I'm a fan.....not a fool.  So I'm following our head coach, that just so happened to land in our division.  LOL, oops.  Our owner has to know that Gase's Jets are going to beat the crap out of them this year, and for those two games I'll likely smile just a little bit.  I'm stoked for the other 14 Jets games though!

Love the thread, good to get a little "outside" insight. I will say that every time you mentioned the bad/missing pieces line I felt like Gase will have some of the same issues trying to be successful here. Our line is not horrible but we cant compete if there are no lanes to run through or your QB spends all of his time chasing snaps and running for his life. 

That being said......that highlighted part just made me literally laugh out loud. That doesn't really apply to a lot of posters here, if you've been around a bit you probably have seen emotions run high and often without a lick of common sense in these parts. 

13 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

If you are a Dolphin fan who isn't going to root for your team, you are in the wrong forum here. Die hard fans stick with their teams through thick and thin, there are no front-runners here. We don't need any condescending Dolphins fans here now that we might have a good team...

I mean you have to admit it's kind of funny that you got here Saturday and you are telling other people they are in the wrong forum? I mean you do see the irony in that right?

14 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

If you are a Dolphin fan who isn't going to root for your team, you are in the wrong forum here. Die hard fans stick with their teams through thick and thin, there are no front-runners here. We don't need any condescending Dolphins fans here now that we might have a good team...

If it’s cool with you we already have a system to determine who does and does not belong here. Thanks and welcome to the board. 

12 hours ago, Joejet said:

Says the guy with 5 posts.

Your being a little hard on the Beav. No? 

11 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Hey Joejet, how many posts should I have before I can have an opinion.....Really?

You can have an opinion as soon as you get here just like every other poster. Even visiting Dolphins fans. 

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

I'm skeptical. 

If you read the OP in a sarcastic voice, it comes off completely different. ?

Feel the same way.  I dont trust this dude one bit.  Total imposter trying to reverse psychology us into firing Gase after 1 season.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Feel the same way.  I dont trust this dude one bit.  Total imposter trying to reverse psychology us into firing Gase after 1 season.

I mean...he's already got the fact that he roots for the fish that indicts his character. And here we are just lapping it up...?

gates was a terrible hire that is what the jets do-Jet fans defend the bad hire  because that is what jet fans do-I feel like like there are two planets one in which jets fans live in and the other which is based on reality. I can still  see folks defending all of our other bad hires as well. It reminds  me of when Mac drafted Hackenberg-anybody that watched him play knew he  was not a NFL QB but Mac  picked him in the second round and many fans defended the pick. We just hired an "offensive coach" that has a  losing record as a coach  and his offenses were one of the worst in the league and got worse under his watch not better. He got the least out of his best players as well. Gase will have fans thinking  fondly of Bowles soon enough. After Mac  has another terrible draft folks will say hey you cant blame Gase Mac is the problem for giving him bad players ....

22 hours ago, keith075 said:

Hey guys!  I'm a long-time Dolphins fan and have posted here over the years during our big rivalry games....which unfortunately we haven't had in several years.  Miami was 5-1 against you under Gase (and .500 against NE) and I fully expect that margin to flip in your favor with your new coach at the helm.  I was just stopping by to share some insights on Gase and what you got in a head coach.

First off, I saw the national media trashing Gase right off the bat for his eyes in the original press conference.  Gase is different from your average NFL coach- he doesn't give a crap what anyone says about him.  The guy is probably one of the game's top analysts in finding ways to create mis-matches and he's a film genius at spotting weaknesses.  While Miami wasn't that good the past few years, it was more because of injuries at QB and offensive line....we just couldn't get going.  Here's an interesting stat for you though- with all 11 of our first string offense on the field, the Miami Dolphins were 11-0 under Gase.  Heck, we were around .500 starting 3rd string linemen and virtually zero receivers at all...with a backup QB.  That all came down to game-planning with what you have and Gase is a true master.

In terms of being a "QB Whisperer", I also believe Gase is legit.  Tannehill basically straight out panics in the pocket when there's unexpected pressure....he's absolutely fantastic when clean and horrible when pressured.  Gase worked with RT's throwing mechanics to bring him from one of the worst deep ball passers in the league to the highest in percentages.  He also brought Tannehill's footwork light-years from where it was 3 years ago and gave the kid the confidence to be an on-field leader.  I don't know if RT has hearing issues or bad vision to his sides....he just can't sense the pressure coming like your average NFL starter.  Gase maximized RT's potential though and had him on an 11 of 12 game win streak at one time (dating across seasons back to 2016)...that's virtually incredible for a guy who doesn't feel pressure and coughs the ball up on strip sacks every other week.

Another thing I really love about Gase is his formations....he will switch to something ultra-exotic for a single play, get a huge gain and then not go back to it for years.  He spends the entire game reading the opponent's defense, adjusting on the fly and talking strategy with his QB.  The media gave him crap for not watching his own D play, but that's because he was always working hard and figuring out where the next score would come from.  Again, this was with the Fins with a 3rd string line, no receivers and a backup QB who couldn't throw the ball more than 8 yards with velocity....and we beat some very big teams last season.  Our bad losses came from when defenses blitzed from exotic angles, our line couldn't adjust and Tannehill got laid out without any idea of what was going on.  They WERE NOT on Gase...he tried to trade Tannehill last year and the front office said no.

I will also add that Gase butted heads with the front office often since he's so cerebral.  For instance, Gase insisted on Albert Wilson to replace Jarvis Landry....and it was a brilliant move since Gase was envisioning Wilson in a way that he had never been used before.  The front office couldn't see it because they're not mind-readers, so know that Gase will often make a seemingly shocking move that feels completely random, but there's a ton of thought and logic behind it.  You may never actually hear that logic but that's just who he is....most of his moves work out well though.  For instance, I think Tannehill could have had a Pro Bowl year last season if the team had invested more in our offensive line (which Gase repeatedly asked for)....and I'll repeat that Tannehill is the absolute worst in the league in handling pressure.  Gase knew how to cover that up though and polish a turd into a diamond.

I know we're lifelong rivals but I'm honestly going to be a Jets fan this season because I like Gase more than I like the Dolphins tanking for Tua.  Our owner made a massive mistake letting Gase walk since we should have been a 2-3 win team last season....yet we started the year 3-0 to shock all the experts.  That's the Adam Gase effect and we consistently won 2-3 games per season that we had no business winning, so I'm expecting a swift turnaround in NY since you guys have a pure stud as a coach.  Don't listen to the media....Gase is the real deal and one of the best minds in the league.  You are extremely fortunate to have him and I'll be hating it this season as you're sweeping us.

Good luck this season Jets fans...I am legitimately rooting for you because I hate we let Gase walk!

Hey man, thanks for your input. Good post from an outsider.

22 hours ago, keith075 said:

Not at all.  When Gase came to Miami, we had zero identity on offense.  Gase asked for three different defensive coordinators and the front office turned them all down....so we were stuck in that horrible "wide 9" with terrible run protection.  Gase rarely got his way early on yet we went 11-5 that first season....and we lost 2 other games on the very last play.  We absolutely kicked ass with an unbalanced roster and some truly crappy leaders.

Gase just wants to win and so far, your owner has let Gase have his say on just about everything.  He didn't have that in Miami and I think you guys are going to come out hot this year...probably a lot better than you're expecting.  I think he'll thrive in NY and be there a very long time.

From your lips to God's ears.

21 hours ago, keith075 said:

Me too- that's just the social media world we live in today though.  Remember this though; people made fun of Einstein as well because he was socially awkward....he had a habit of tripping over his own feet.  That's because the man was always thinking though and not really paying attention to what was around him.  I'm not saying Gase is Einstein at all, but he has that thinkers mentality and keeps himself busy.

The other thing is that Gase thinks the media is a bunch of morons....which he's basically correct about.  I mean, if they could understand his advanced concepts then wouldn't they be NFL coaches?  The guy is just ultra-smart and doesn't have time for stupid questions....I found that an endearing quality.  A lot of folks will hate him for it though because they think he's too good for the fans/media.....but that isn't the case at all.  He wants to get out of that press conference so he can get to the film room and figure out ways to win, that's just who he is.

After a distracting start with the opening press conference he has done very well in interviews so far.  But no real reason to get testy yet, either.

21 hours ago, keith075 said:

I haven't watched a lot of film on Darnold but I think he has the potential to be better than Tannehill.....and we were a playoff team with Tannehill upright.

At the risk of sounding like a homer, Darnold is going to be WAY better than Tannehill.

14 hours ago, David Harris said:

This really was post of the week, thank you

keith- how does Gase do with in game adjustments and clock management?  Todd Bowles was pretty terrible at these.

also, what’s the substance to the rep that Gase rubbed a decent numbers of players the wrong way?

He absolutely did- starting with Jay Ajayi. If you watch our film for the first month of 2017, you'll see Ajayi take a hand-off and take a step to the hole off-guard (between G & T), then cut to the outside even though there was a small hole in the B gap.  After week two Gase benched Ajayi for two quarters and then had a long talk with him....he said that freelancing stuff doesn't fly on an every down basis.  Week 3 Ajayi stuck to the script, then week 4 he did his own thing again.  He was in Philly shortly thereafter.

With Landry, he's an elite slot receiver and would complain if he didn't get the ball.  Landry would fight for every inch and he has the attitude of a champion, but he'll never been that stud WR1 due to his speed.  Gase asked him to calm down with the demands, Landry took it the wrong way and some words were said.  Things calmed down though and we wanted Landry to stay, but he was asking for $17M a year and he's just not worth that.  Landry bashed Gase a little afterwards but that was more just talk.

A few rotational players say that Gase definitely plays favorites at times and he'll defend his QB's tooth and nail.  Overall though, he was liked in the locker room and thought of as a solid leader.

For game management, Gase's big weakness is going too safe early on.....but part of that could have been Tannehill's bad ACL and bad line.  Miami had more 25+ yard plays than anyone last year though so he's aiming to be explosive....he just needs the pieces and we didn't have them.  Gase is RIDICULOUS making second half adjustments though and pretty good with the clock (nothing good or bad to say there).

4 hours ago, JiF said:

No worries.....because there's nothing to really trust.  It was my honest opinion and anyone is free to take it or leave it.  I certainly want Gase in the league though so it's definitely not reverse psychology- I genuinely wish you guys well and I'll root for you at least 14 games next year.  ?

10 minutes ago, keith075 said:

No worries.....because there's nothing to really trust.  It was my honest opinion and anyone is free to take it or leave it.  I certainly want Gase in the league though so it's definitely not reverse psychology- I genuinely wish you guys well and I'll root for you at least 14 games next year.  ?

Thank you for your insight.  I appreciate what I’ve read but the last time I trusted a Dolphins fan was the last time I trust a Dolohins fan.  :)

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thank you for your insight.  I appreciate what I’ve read but the last time I trusted a Dolphins fan was the last time I trust a Dolohins fan.  :)

^ the result was anal herpes

Great post....it's always good to hear from an opposing fan.  The Jets just got rid of an ass of a coach and it's nice to see that his replacement is bringing out the ass in your avatar.

Here's to hoping you guys win 5 or 6 games (2 over the Pats) and fall just outside the area where you can draft a franchise QB next year. :P

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

If it’s cool with you we already have a system to determine who does and does not belong here. Thanks and welcome to the board. 

Your being a little hard on the Beav. No? 

You can have an opinion as soon as you get here just like every other poster. Even visiting Dolphins fans. 

I used to be hard on the Beav when I was younger, but not so much anymore!

On 3/31/2019 at 11:51 AM, keith075 said:

Hey guys!  I'm a long-time Dolphins fan and have posted here over the years during our big rivalry games....which unfortunately we haven't had in several years.  Miami was 5-1 against you under Gase (and .500 against NE) and I fully expect that margin to flip in your favor with your new coach at the helm.  I was just stopping by to share some insights on Gase and what you got in a head coach.

First off, I saw the national media trashing Gase right off the bat for his eyes in the original press conference.  Gase is different from your average NFL coach- he doesn't give a crap what anyone says about him.  The guy is probably one of the game's top analysts in finding ways to create mis-matches and he's a film genius at spotting weaknesses.  While Miami wasn't that good the past few years, it was more because of injuries at QB and offensive line....we just couldn't get going.  Here's an interesting stat for you though- with all 11 of our first string offense on the field, the Miami Dolphins were 11-0 under Gase.  Heck, we were around .500 starting 3rd string linemen and virtually zero receivers at all...with a backup QB.  That all came down to game-planning with what you have and Gase is a true master.

In terms of being a "QB Whisperer", I also believe Gase is legit.  Tannehill basically straight out panics in the pocket when there's unexpected pressure....he's absolutely fantastic when clean and horrible when pressured.  Gase worked with RT's throwing mechanics to bring him from one of the worst deep ball passers in the league to the highest in percentages.  He also brought Tannehill's footwork light-years from where it was 3 years ago and gave the kid the confidence to be an on-field leader.  I don't know if RT has hearing issues or bad vision to his sides....he just can't sense the pressure coming like your average NFL starter.  Gase maximized RT's potential though and had him on an 11 of 12 game win streak at one time (dating across seasons back to 2016)...that's virtually incredible for a guy who doesn't feel pressure and coughs the ball up on strip sacks every other week.

Another thing I really love about Gase is his formations....he will switch to something ultra-exotic for a single play, get a huge gain and then not go back to it for years.  He spends the entire game reading the opponent's defense, adjusting on the fly and talking strategy with his QB.  The media gave him crap for not watching his own D play, but that's because he was always working hard and figuring out where the next score would come from.  Again, this was with the Fins with a 3rd string line, no receivers and a backup QB who couldn't throw the ball more than 8 yards with velocity....and we beat some very big teams last season.  Our bad losses came from when defenses blitzed from exotic angles, our line couldn't adjust and Tannehill got laid out without any idea of what was going on.  They WERE NOT on Gase...he tried to trade Tannehill last year and the front office said no.

I will also add that Gase butted heads with the front office often since he's so cerebral.  For instance, Gase insisted on Albert Wilson to replace Jarvis Landry....and it was a brilliant move since Gase was envisioning Wilson in a way that he had never been used before.  The front office couldn't see it because they're not mind-readers, so know that Gase will often make a seemingly shocking move that feels completely random, but there's a ton of thought and logic behind it.  You may never actually hear that logic but that's just who he is....most of his moves work out well though.  For instance, I think Tannehill could have had a Pro Bowl year last season if the team had invested more in our offensive line (which Gase repeatedly asked for)....and I'll repeat that Tannehill is the absolute worst in the league in handling pressure.  Gase knew how to cover that up though and polish a turd into a diamond.

I know we're lifelong rivals but I'm honestly going to be a Jets fan this season because I like Gase more than I like the Dolphins tanking for Tua.  Our owner made a massive mistake letting Gase walk since we should have been a 2-3 win team last season....yet we started the year 3-0 to shock all the experts.  That's the Adam Gase effect and we consistently won 2-3 games per season that we had no business winning, so I'm expecting a swift turnaround in NY since you guys have a pure stud as a coach.  Don't listen to the media....Gase is the real deal and one of the best minds in the league.  You are extremely fortunate to have him and I'll be hating it this season as you're sweeping us.

Good luck this season Jets fans...I am legitimately rooting for you because I hate we let Gase walk!

Mrs Gase,  havimg a slow day???

On 3/31/2019 at 12:01 PM, keith075 said:

Not at all.  When Gase came to Miami, we had zero identity on offense. 

Gase just wants to win and so far, your owner has let Gase have his say on just about everything.  He didn't have that in Miami and I think you guys are going to come out hot this year...probably a lot better than you're expecting.  I think he'll thrive in NY and be there a very long time.

Those two points are very relevant. Our gm has done basically nothing, besides finally drafting a qb, for the O. The owners will most certainly listen to Gase, this is his show. Mac barley survived being fired. The owners are now going to let Gase save the jets, and mac, or there will be a clean slate in 2 years. There is no point to hire Gase and let him live or die by the decisions mac makes. It’s Gase show now.. Sink or swim 

Archived