what have been the jets' Biggest mistakes this offseason ? ? ?

kelly

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Utterly failed to get a center and a pass rusher.

We have to see how the draft turns out.  

The Jets bet that Spencer Long for $6mm was worse than Harrison or whomever they can draft in the 3rd round, assuming trade down.  I think that is 50/50.

The Jets also bet that Darryl Roberts for $6mm was better than another FA they could have signed..  Roberts as no 2 corner is a little worrisome.

They elected not to pay top dollar for a veteran fill in edge, like the Colts and 49ers.  That could be smart if they bet that they would draft one this year, which would be Allen or someone if they trade down (Burns, Sweat, etc.).  

If they stay put and get a 10 year EDGE and luck out on Center at the top of rd 3, which is possible, this could work out.  

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I admit I wanted Paradis but it seems like he didn’t want to come here anyway and coming off a broken leg. Still I’m surprised we haven’t addressed it

This.  Jets fans need to stop fretting over this guy.  Paradis is a country boy.  He did not want to live in NY/NJ. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

so there isn't gonna be Draft, June 1st cuts, and post training camp cuts? 

Can't wait to see what elite EDGE rusher we get from the discard pile!!!

• The Rams have Donald, Dante Fowler and Clay Matthews.
  • The Packers have Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.
  • The Broncos have Von Miller and Bradley Chubb.
  • The Browns have Olivier Vernon and Myles Garrett.
  • The Chargers have Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa.
  • The Vikings have Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, and Anthony Barr.
  • The 49ers have Dee Ford and Solomon Thomas.
  • The Texans have JJ Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus.
  • The Cowboys have Demarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford.
  • The Cardinals have Chandler Jones, Terrell Suggs and Brooks Reed.
  • The Eagles have Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Chris Long and Vinny Curry.
  • The Colts have Jabaal Sheard, Denico Autry and Margus Hunt.
  • The Bills have Jerry Hughes, Trent Murphy and Shaq Lawson.

We've got Brandon Copeland.  You need multiple pass rushers in today's NFL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kelly said:

What have been the Jets' biggest mistakes this offseason ? ...  https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/new-york-jets-2019-nfl-free-agency-mike-maccagnan/ via @thejetswire 

Not addressing the Center position, Macc not being fired, only making Bell a priority after Barr became the latest player to use Macc as leverage...which I guess is another way of saying that it was a mistake not to fire Macc. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Not addressing the Center position, Macc not being fired, only making Bell a priority after Barr became the latest player to use Macc as leverage...which I guess is another way of saying that it was a mistake not to fire Macc. 

How do you know Bell wasn't a priority until after the Barr situation?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Rams have Donald, Suh and Dante Fowler. 

The Packers have Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.

The Browns have Olivier Vernon and Myles Garrett.

The Cardinals have Chandler Jones and Terrell Suggs.

We've got Brandon Copeland.  And you need multiple pass rushers in today's NFL.

Welll Suh is a FA last I checked . Neither of Smith’s have ever had 10 sacks in season . Za Darius not even true a edge he is better rushing from inside definitely not worth the 16 mill a year he got . 

If vernon was any good giants wouldn’t have been trying to trade him for 2 years before sending him to the browns. 

Fowler sucks 

I’ll give jones and Sizzle tho . 

7 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Welll Suh is a FA last I checked . Neither of Smith’s have ever had 10 sacks in season . Za Darius not even true a edge he is better rushing from inside definitely not worth the 16 mill a year he got . 

If vernon was any good giants wouldn’t have been trying to trade him for 2 years before sending him to the browns. 

Fowler sucks  

I’ll give jones and Sizzle tho .  

Fine, replace Suh with Clay Matthews, who they picked up this offseason:

Even if you think a lot of these guys suck, at least these teams have all been trying to accumulate pass rushers. 

And meanwhile this list above is why people are stressing the importance of the Jets investing in the Offensive Line.  It's borderline criminal how few resources have been devoted to the OL and pass rush under Mike Maccagnan.

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He got overpaid by Buffalo.  I'm glad we didn't give him that kind of money quite honestly.

We had more money than anyone, and C should have been one of our top priorities.  In that light, there was no such thing as "overpaying" when it came to a quality Center.

If he never wanted to come here....fine, whatever.  But it didn't even seem like we tried to enter that sweepstakes.  So now we're 100 % locked in to having to rely on a rookie to handle the position, because we absolutely cannot rely on some other team's trash like we did with Spencer Long.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The pass rushing was a failure until they resigned Copeland. As long as they draft a pass rusher (Allen hopefully) to pair with him then we are fine there. 

Copeland is not a pass rusher of any note at all.  And the jets did not think he was much of one or they would have signed him early on.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We had more money than anyone, and C should have been one of our top priorities.  In that light, there was no such thing as "overpaying" when it came to a quality Center.

If he never wanted to come here....fine, whatever.  But it didn't even seem like we tried to enter that sweepstakes.  So now we're 100 % locked in to having to rely on a rookie to handle the position, because we absolutely cannot rely on some other team's trash like we did with Spencer Long.

Look at the Knicks and Phil Jackson 

When you have to beat someone over the head with bags of money to take the job its a mistake 

There has to be another reason they want to come here 

It's totally fine to be the top bidder by a small margin but at some point there has to be genuine interest 

I was a head hunter for years 

My clients didn't pay me to over pay people that didn't want to take the job they paid me to find good matches 

If the jets had signed the guy he would be public enemy number one the first pressure or penalty 

"OHMYGERD MACC GAVE THIS BUM HOW MUCH? FIRE MACC" 

Let's have some perspective 

It's 95 % likely the jets draft a pass rusher and they will have other chances to add a center 

A center 

I think gase will be all up in maccagnans grill to upgrade center and right tackle 

Let's revisit this thread in August 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

so there isn't gonna be Draft, June 1st cuts, and post training camp cuts? 

You fill GAPING holes in free agency so you do not HAVE to draft positions.  This is the mantra for every single team.  the Jets had a ton of cap space and their two biggest holes were center and pass rusher.

ILB, slot receiver and Rb were behind those other glaring holes.

It's great we got the players we did in FA, doesn't mean that the team still does not have huge holes.

The Jets have done a pretty good overall job in the free agency period. 

One mistake they made were wasting time and resources in the pursuit of Anthony Barr.  I think it was a mistake to engage him in the first place, and the offered contract was ridiculously high.  Based on his body of work, outside of college, he was miscast as an edge rusher.  Pursuing him precluded the Jets from making offers to other more suitable edge rushing candidates on the market.  Whether or not that cost them another player, we don't know.  That  doesn't make the Barr fiasco, smell any better..

The second mistake the team has made in this free agency period was the re-signing of Eric Tomlinson and the signing of Daniel Brown.  I was looking for an upgrade at the position, and neither of these players accomplishes that.  We have an excellent pass catching Tight End in Herndon and I am satisfied with the depth provided by Leggett and Sterling.  I thought we could do better with a blocking tight end who can catch a pass on occasion, and neither Tomlinson or Brown have shown much of a capability in that area.  Disappointing.

These two mistakes were preventable.  Their failure to upgrade at other positions, center, cornerback, were either circumstances beyond their control, or due to a dearth of talent on the market or managerial decision for alternative action.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

They were mediocre at CB in 2018 and started Trumaine Johnson, Buster Skrine and Morris Claiborne, with Darryl Roberts coming off the bench.  They lost Skrine and Claiborne and signed Brian Poole and retained Roberts.  I don't see how this is not a position of need. 

Maybe there comfortable with there young guys like jones and Nickerson . 

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've got Brandon Copeland.  You need multiple pass rushers in today's NFL.

We got spunk.

you forgot about that.

• Haha 1