Duke Johnson Requests Trade... Jets among list of Potential Landing Spots

GREENBEAN

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bell isn't superman, he needs a break sometimes. 

I'm not talking about adding a completely one-dimensional guy.  I'm just saying that Bell's biggest strength is as a pass-catcher.  Adding a 2nd pass catcher to be his primary backup would be a bit redundant, no?

I don't want to spend a pick on Duke, but I think there's value in what he brings. Bell brings the ultimate flexibility of running/going out for a pass/pass protection/screen. When he needs a break, having a guy who can do the same things (at a lesser quality) is big, because it doesn't stymie the offense or the play calling.

Plus, with Gase, we finally have a guy who might actually put the best players on the field regardless of redundancy. I hated that in '09 we never had TJ and Leon on the field at the same time. Can you imagine a play with Robby, Jamison and Q with Herndon on the line and Bell and Duke in the backfield? The amount of options at Sam's disposal would be so much fun!

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bell isn't superman, he needs a break sometimes. 

I'm talking about a completely one-dimensional guy.  I'm just saying that Bell's biggest strength is as a pass-catcher.  Adding a 2nd pass catcher to be his primary backup would be a bit redundant, no?

From 2015 - 2017 both backs played for the Browns.

Johnson averaged 4.18 a carry

Crowell averaged 4.26

Crowell was OUR thumper last year.

Johnson's issue is that he's not built to carry the load. AND he's the leading RB receiver in his time in the NFL AND he can pass protect so you're not limited in what you do when he's in.

14 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't want to spend a pick on Duke, but I think there's value in what he brings. Bell brings the ultimate flexibility of running/going out for a pass/pass protection/screen. When he needs a break, having a guy who can do the same things (at a lesser quality) is big, because it doesn't stymie the offense or the play calling.

Plus, with Gase, we finally have a guy who might actually put the best players on the field regardless of redundancy. I hated that in '09 we never had TJ and Leon on the field at the same time. Can you imagine a play with Robby, Jamison and Q with Herndon on the line and Bell and Duke in the backfield? The amount of options at Sam's disposal would be so much fun!

I think a bunch of people imagine plays with 12 men.  Your scenario is a 5 yard penalty.  Only 11 men can play at a time.  5 are ineligible receivers.  1 is the QB (Sam).  That leaves you 5 eligible receivers, but you have 3 receivers, 1 TE and 2 backs.  That's 6 guys.  Unless it is wild cat and Sam is off the field, it is not going to work like you think. 

I like Duke Johnson.  He is an excellent receiver.  Bell kind of makes him superfluous IMO.  He already signed an extension, so he is averaging $5M per over the next 3.  Seems like a lot of money for a guy that isn't going to give us a thumper or something that Bell doesn't already excel at.  If they want him and think they can use him in and out of the slot, fine, but there are plenty of reasons not to. 

I don't get this recent trend of front offices extending guys during a season and dumping them the next.  Beckham, Duke?  WTF?

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a bunch of people imagine plays with 12 men.  Your scenario is a 5 yard penalty.  Only 11 men can play at a time.  5 are ineligible receivers.  1 is the QB (Sam).  That leaves you 5 eligible receivers, but you have 3 receivers, 1 TE and 2 backs.  That's 6 guys.  Unless it is wild cat and Sam is off the field, it is not going to work like you think. 

I like Duke Johnson.  He is an excellent receiver.  Bell kind of makes him superfluous IMO.  He already signed an extension, so he is averaging $5M per over the next 3.  Seems like a lot of money for a guy that isn't going to give us a thumper or something that Bell doesn't already excel at.  If they want him and think they can use him in and out of the slot, fine, but there are plenty of reasons not to. 

I don't get this recent trend of front offices extending guys during a season and dumping them the next.  Beckham, Duke?  WTF?

Good catch. Take one of them out, my point stands. Positional redundancy shouldn't be a limiting factor in getting the best players on the field for any given play.

If you can get Duke for a 6th or later this year or future picks, the Jets should do it. 

It's not ideal spending draft capital on rb's with so many holes on the roster but i'd rather spend a 6th on an established player who was underutilized than have to draft one in the 3rd or 4th.

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Good catch. Take one of them out, my point stands. Positional redundancy shouldn't be a limiting factor in getting the best players on the field for any given play.

The issue with redundancy is that you don't necessarily add anything by having Johnson in the backfield with Bell.  Neither is blocking particularly well for the other.  They are both good receivers, but I don't believe that it's and improvement over Crowder and if you pull the TE you are losing even more blocking. I agree that it could be helpful and effective, particularly against certain teams.  OTOH, is it worth another $5M per? 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The issue with redundancy is that you don't necessarily add anything by having Johnson in the backfield with Bell.  Neither is blocking particularly well for the other.  They are both good receivers, but I don't believe that it's and improvement over Crowder and if you pull the TE you are losing even more blocking. I agree that it could be helpful and effective, particularly against certain teams.  OTOH, is it worth another $5M per? 

If it's only costing the Jets $5m when they have more than enough cap space to spare, then yes, it is worth it to have that luxury. However, as I said in my first sentence in this thread, it's not worth it if you're trading draft capital for this luxury.

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

If it's only costing the Jets $5m when they have more than enough cap space to spare, then yes, it is worth it to have that luxury. However, as I said in my first sentence in this thread, it's not worth it if you're trading draft capital for this luxury.

"More than enough cap space to spare" is kind of a strange way to look at it IMO.  I would look at it more as if I'd rather have another RB or spend the $5M elsewhere on an upgrade or added to other contracts .  It's good to have money to pick up some cap casualties.  The fact that this doofus hasn't spent it, doesn't make the choice Duke Johnson or sitting on a fat wallet.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

"More than enough cap space to spare" is kind of a strange way to look at it IMO.  I would look at it more as if I'd rather have another RB or spend the $5M elsewhere on an upgrade or added to other contracts .  It's good to have money to pick up some cap casualties.  The fact that this doofus hasn't spent it, doesn't make the choice Duke Johnson or sitting on a fat wallet.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it does. Mac has carried more than $5m space every year except 1, including something like 26m, 18m, and 23m the last three years - even with this sh*t roster he's created. So while it's idealistic to hope he spends on upgrades or adds to over-performing contracts, he's proven the opposite. So in that event, I think "more than enough cap space to spare" is a perfectly reasonable way to look at spending $5m like this.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Including Darnold and the 5 lineman that would be 12 Jets on the field.  Im no expert but i think thats a penalty!!

DUke Johnson’s salary camp impact on the Jets if traded.

2019: $2.3M

2020: $4.1M

2021: $5.15M

His $3M signing bonus was paid in the 2018 league year and we are not accountable for that. Same with a $2M roster bonus he received. His deal to us is not $15M but more like 3 years ~$10M. 

The $2M in 2019 looks a lot better than the $5M some seem to be throwing out there.

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Including Darnold and the 5 lineman that would be 12 Jets on the field.  Im no expert but i think thats a penalty!!

But imagine if the refs don’t see the 12th man? Just saying. We can make it happen. Hide DUke between Darnold and the Center. Launch some fireworks to distract the refs and HERE WE GO!

Archived