..should jets consider bringing back CB Morris Claiborne ? ? ?

kelly

In 2017 Claiborne was on a prove it deal, and he played well.

In 2018, Claiborne was paid better but played worse.

My gut feeling is that Mac blew it by paying Roberts all that money.  As we have seen, if CB is not functional the Jets will lose every game regardless of how everyone plays (see 2014).  Trumaine was another bad signing and missed a bunch of games last year.  Mac's CB Day 3 draft picks are not looking great either.  I would sign Mo to a 1 year deal with incentives.  I think doing that could go a long way to Mac keeping his job.  

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

My gut feeling is that Mac blew it by paying Roberts all that money.  

PFF likes Roberts so I dont know if that can truly be said right now

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Maybe this new staff thinks Jones and Nickerson are capable of playing at a high level. Bowles was coaching the entire year to save his job, and never took a chance on playing these two regularly.

-Coaching staff DEFINITELY has more confidence in Tru with G.Williams at the helm. 

-Nickerson and Jones played well when given the opportunity last year. And you are right, Bowles gave them VERY little opportunities. No reason to think they will get worse rather than improve with more reps and an NFL season under their belt. I think Robinson looked pretty good too. 

-Roberts played well as well. But then Bowles put him at Safety when Maye got hurt. Not sure if he was worth the investment but it's too late now. 

-Poole was signed and from what I have see of him he looks to be a pretty good slot guy. A definite improvement over Skrine. 

So despite the fact that the Jets have a bunch of question marks at CB, they DO have guys that can prove to be much better than expected. And they will probably add someone via the draft. So I don't nec. see the need to go out and sign Mo. 

Tru, Roberts, Poole, Nickerson, Robinson, Jones, Rookie. Jets fan may look at that group and say 'these guys are awful, we won't win any games'...

But I honestly don't mind going into the season with this group and seeing what they can do. Then, of course, there is a ton of time to see who is actually playing well and who is looking like they are on the decline before the final roster is set. If all of these guys (sans the rookie obviously) are looking better than last year, then whats then this looks like a solid group.       

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

-Coaching staff DEFINITELY has more confidence in Tru with G.Williams at the helm. 

-Nickerson and Jones played well when given the opportunity last year. And you are right, Bowles gave them VERY little opportunities. No reason to think they will get worse rather than improve with more reps and an NFL season under their belt. I think Robinson looked pretty good too. 

-Roberts played well as well. But then Bowles put him at Safety when Maye got hurt. Not sure if he was worth the investment but it's too late now. 

-Poole was signed and from what I have see of him he looks to be a pretty good slot guy. A definite improvement over Skrine. 

So despite the fact that the Jets have a bunch of question marks at CB, they DO have guys that can prove to be much better than expected. And they will probably add someone via the draft. So I don't nec. see the need to go out and sign Mo. 

Tru, Roberts, Poole, Nickerson, Robinson, Jones, Rookie. Jets fan may look at that group and say 'these guys are awful, we won't win any games'...

But I honestly don't mind going into the season with this group and seeing what they can do. Then, of course, there is a ton of time to see who is actually playing well and who is looking like they are on the decline before the final roster is set. If all of these guys (sans the rookie obviously) are looking better than last year, then whats then this looks like a solid group.       

I tend to agree with this angle too. Someone has to be able to step up and take the #2 CB job, be it Jones, Robinson or a rookie drafted this year. 

They have 2 nickel backs in Nickerson and Poole, if someone supplants Roberts as the #2, he goes back to being the #4 where he belongs and the secondary is pretty damn solid. 

Signing Claiborne means the young guys still won't play. They have to figure out what they have this year. 

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

My gut feeling is that Mac blew it by paying Roberts all that money.  As we have seen, if CB is not functional the Jets will lose every game regardless of how everyone plays (see 2014).  Trumaine was another bad signing and missed a bunch of games last year.  Mac's CB Day 3 draft picks are not looking great either.  I would sign Mo to a 1 year deal with incentives.  I think doing that could go a long way to Mac keeping his job.  

I am complaining about this in another thread.  I would be happy to bring him in, IF we could cut him.  I am betting that he is demanding what is basically a guaranteed deal for 1 year.  In that case, he just sits as a block to your young bodies.  You want a placeholder that you can dump if they look good in camp.  Claiborne and his agent are presumably against that deal, but I am guessing other teams aren't biting either. 

FWIW, he visited the Cards yesterday and the Jets were pretty vocal they didn't want him back. I guess this staff likes Roberts as least as much.

There is no way the Jets should bring back Delores Clairborne, unless he is willing to work for food.  Haven't we learned anything from the experiences we had with Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Mevis??   This guy plays softer than Charmin.

I know that the defensive schemes, play calling and coaching, all sucked under Kacy and the Sunshine Band, but it went further than this.  Even after the catch, while playing 12 yards plus off the receiver, Miss Clairborne showed little appetite for putting his head in there and making a play.  His preference was to try and "urge" players out of bounds.  Same thing on running plays.  I no longer want to tolerate that kind of player.

With Morris Clairborne to a large extent it was about "want to".  He didn't want to.  Now it's time for the Jets to say that they don't "want to".  Pass.

39 minutes ago, genot said:

Maybe this new staff thinks Jones and Nickerson are capable of playing at a high level. Bowles was coaching the entire year to save his job, and never took a chance on playing these two regularly.

That hurt the Jets future in just so many ways. CB was a prime example of that.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am complaining about this in another thread.  I would be happy to bring him in, IF we could cut him.  I am betting that he is demanding what is basically a guaranteed deal for 1 year.  In that case, he just sits as a block to your young bodies.  You want a placeholder that you can dump if they look good in camp.  Claiborne and his agent are presumably against that deal, but I am guessing other teams aren't biting either. 

FWIW, he visited the Cards yesterday and the Jets were pretty vocal they didn't want him back. I guess this staff likes Roberts as least as much.

I am impressed and inspired by the Board's general consensus to let the younger players play and not let Claiborne block progress. 

If CB is a trainwreck, which it could be, there is only one person to blame for that.  

We can commend Mac for what he has done so far to make the team better, but he basically had to because he has otherwise drafted players so poorly.  So if at this point the Jets are still not very good, it is because Mac dug himself too deep of a hole to dig out of.   If he cannot make this team competitive with the remainder of this off season, my vote would be to let someone else try.  

Trumaine Johnson was utterly worthless last season. 

He didn't cover.  He didn't tackle.  He didn't help anyone else tackle.  He didn't ballhawk.

In fact, if you follow Parcells' team model, the highest paid player should be the hardest working... Tru was worse than worthless.  He was poisonous.  Not only did he play poorly, his lousy effort was on film for the entire locker room to see every Monday.

Claiborne is better than Tru.  Roberts is better than Tru.  I expect Poole will be too.

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He didn't cover.  He didn't tackle.  He didn't help anyone else tackle.  He didn't ballhawk.

In fact, if you follow Parcells' team model, the highest paid player should be the hardest working... Tru was worse than worthless.  He was poisonous.  Not only did he play poorly, his lousy effort was on film for the entire locker room to see every Monday.

Claiborne is better than Tru.  Roberts is better than Tru.  I expect Poole will be too.

He looked lost out there. perhaps it was because he was playing zone coverage's he's never played before. He's a press, man to man cover corner. At least that's what he's been since being drafted. Let's see what he doe's this year.

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is why it is important to have alot of draft picks and draft well-Trumaine was a 3rd round pick, pick 65.  The Rams got 6 good years out of him, 4 of them cheap.  The Jets paid him for top CB $ for a bad year 7.  

We are stuck with Trumaine basically, because of how much he would cost to cut.  So the play would be with Williams' coaching and Trumaine playing to NOT get cut next year, he plays much better.  

Leo is playing a similar game.  

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

There is no way the Jets should bring back Delores Clairborne, unless he is willing to work for food.  Haven't we learned anything from the experiences we had with Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Mevis??   This guy plays softer than Charmin.

I know that the defensive schemes, play calling and coaching, all sucked under Kacy and the Sunshine Band, but it went further than this.  Even after the catch, while playing 12 yards plus off the receiver, Miss Clairborne showed little appetite for putting his head in there and making a play.  His preference was to try and "urge" players out of bounds.  Same thing on running plays.  I no longer want to tolerate that kind of player.

With Morris Clairborne to a large extent it was about "want to".  He didn't want to.  Now it's time for the Jets to say that the don't "want to".  Pass.

LMAO,  MAN you're on a roll today brother !

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I am impressed and inspired by the Board's general consensus to let the younger players play and not let Claiborne block progress. 

If CB is a trainwreck, which it could be, there is only one person to blame for that.  

We can commend Mac for what he has done so far to make the team better, but he basically had to because he has otherwise drafted players so poorly.  So if at this point the Jets are still not very good, it is because Mac dug himself too deep of a hole to dig out of.   If he cannot make this team competitive with the remainder of this off season, my vote would be to let someone else try.  

I've been ready to let someone else try for quite some time.  There are still plenty of options and resources to improve the 2019 Jets, but I don't know if I want them to use them all.  That just locks you in and screws the future (see how the bullsh*t they pulled in 2015-2016 handcuffed 2017). 

I would like to see the young guys play and perform better.  We can give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but these guys have to perform.  Teams like the Steelers let guys walk and plug replacements in seemlessly all the time.  We have seen this team try to do it miserably (Milliner for Revis/Cromartie, Clarke for Kendall, Hunter for Woody, etc, etc) 

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I've been ready to let someone else try for quite some time.  There are still plenty of options and resources to improve the 2019 Jets, but I don't know if I want them to use them all.  That just locks you in and screws the future (see how the bullsh*t they pulled in 2015-2016 handcuffed 2017). 

I would like to see the young guys play and perform better.  We can give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but these guys have to perform.  Teams like the Steelers let guys walk and plug replacements in seemlessly all the time.  We have seen this team try to do it miserably (Milliner for Revis/Cromartie, Clarke for Kendall, Hunter for Woody, etc, etc) 

Bowles and Mac should have been let go after 2017.   Bowles has been coaching for a one year job for last two years rather than trying to build a team for the long term.  The lack of playing time for the young CBs, leaving Long snapping with a broken hand, etc.  was just wrong.  

2 hours ago, genot said:

For sure. Bowles was, for the most part, thinking about his future, and not the Jets

Absolutely ! I think he thought "if I can just get to maybe 6 wins they'll keep me." He should have played Webb last year when Sam was out. Let's see what we have but no, he just wanted to keep try to keep his job. Loser

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tru Johnson can not have the year he had last year or we are in deep trouble.

I like Claiborne, if the deal was cheap enough I'd be all in favor.

Agreed !.. at the right price... sign him to a 1 year deal  ?

12 minutes ago, kelly said:

Agreed !.. at the right price... sign him to a 1 year deal  ?

I say get him on the roster for a body at camp, if he looks up to it keep him for the year. I would pay mroe than the vet minimum if I thought he was going to play well. Honestly cant hurt just to bring him in, if we dont someone else will for sure. 

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Adding Allen or Bosa should make the CB group we have look a lot better since they will not have to cover for too long.

At the right price absolutely. Claiborne is not an excellent corner, he's inconsistent most of the time almost streaky. But overall he's been a decent player for the Jets. I have the suspicion he won't get his asking price. I believe he'll eventually accept the Jets offer for one year.

7 hours ago, varjet said:

imo you gotta put the cb's in perspective.  they were playing in a bowles defense and it just wasn't that great after 3 years of getting the right players.  and the offense was so anemic that they couldn't pressure teams to be one dimensional on offense.  if the jets can score more and williams can generate a pass rush the corners will look much better.

Archived