Most QB Hits 2018

Barry McCockinner

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Unless you’re playing a QB like Brady, Cutler, River etc. Hitting them changes their game. 

Meh. That hit is still them getting the ball  off, which is probably to a guy like Edelman running for a first down. 

Maybe for a weak minded QB hits will change their game. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Meh. That hit is still them getting the ball  off, which is probably to a guy like Edelman running for a first down. 

Maybe for a weak minded QB hits will change their game. 

It happens to QBs all the time. Getting hit to much ruins some of their careers. 

2 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

Even with all the triple teams?

No, he’s QUADRUPLE-teamed on every single play and really a beast. Just give him a chance. It’s not his fault. It’s everyone else’s fault including Bowles and Leo couldn’t have done anything to improve on his own. (EXTREME SARCASM)

The point of the stat, which the author made clear in his article on gangreennation is that sacks can be fluky as in they are often the result of the QB being flushed into a player and/or one defender creating pressure and a different defender cleaning it up

He used Vic Beasley as an example since he has 15 sacks one year but only 16 pressures which had him at 45th in the league and was indicative of fluky sacks - which turned out to be true as he stinks now. 

IIRC, Williams has put up good QB hit numbers every year. Usually when a guy piles up hits but not sacks, the latter tends to catch up to the former the following season, but it hasn’t happened for him yet and it’s been long enough that it probably never will. Weird.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The point of the stat, which the author made clear in his article on gangreennation is that sacks can be fluky as in they are often the result of the QB being flushed into a player and/or one defender creating pressure and a different defender cleaning it up

He used Vic Beasley as an example since he has 15 sacks one year but only 16 pressures which had him at 45th in the league and was indicative of fluky sacks - which turned out to be true as he stinks now. 

Yep, getting pressure is a more consistent sign of pass rush ability. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

FB_IMG_1554247653378.jpg

Here's the problem with what your trying to prove. Cox, Jones and Donald had more sacks this year than Leo has had in the last 2 years combined. They hit the QB but they also get sacks. 

Leo is basically Suh with less sack production. Suh averages about 6 sacks per year and is very good in the run game. Leo would be good as part of a good defense but he'll never be a star and he'll never put up big sack numbers. The problem is that he's going to want to get paid like a star. Let some other team deal with that nonsense.

49 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Unless you’re playing a QB like Brady, Cutler, River etc. Hitting them changes their game. 

Once a game. So, twice a year Leo hits Brady. Yeah. That really "changes his game"....and Cutler is retired and we play Rivers/Brees/Eli once every 4 years. 

The problem is, all of those other guys had SACKS to go with their participation trophies.... Leo had what, 5 total sacks in 18? 17 in 4 seasons? 

25 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Here's the problem with what your trying to prove. Cox, Jones and Donald had more sacks this year than Leo has had in the last 2 years combined. They hit the QB but they also get sacks. 

Leo is basically Suh with less sack production. Suh averages about 6 sacks per year and is very good in the run game. Leo would be good as part of a good defense but he'll never be a star and he'll never put up big sack numbers. The problem is that he's going to want to get paid like a star. Let some other team deal with that nonsense.

Maybe you could tell me what I'm trying to prove?

15 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Once a game. So, twice a year Leo hits Brady. Yeah. That really "changes his game"....and Cutler is retired and we play Rivers/Brees/Eli once every 4 years. 

The problem is, all of those other guys had SACKS to go with their participation trophies.... Leo had what, 5 total sacks in 18? 17 in 4 seasons? 

I never mentioned Leo. I’m talking about in general in the NFL, not just who the Jets play this season. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Maybe you could tell me what I'm trying to prove?

That Leo is better than he is. What else are you suggesting when you put a stat up that compares him to 3 of the best defensive tackles in the league? You want to put him on that level, which he's not close to. You're suggesting that it's a fluke that he doesn't get sacks when it's more of a pattern than anything.

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That Leo is better than he is. What else are you suggesting when you put a stat up that compares him to 3 of the best defensive tackles in the league? You want to put him on that level, which he's not close to. You're suggesting that it's a fluke that he doesn't get sacks when it's more of a pattern than anything.

I'm not suggesting jack sh*t. I posted an infographic from profootballfocus that has a Jets player on it literally without comment. Apparently it has triggered some Jets fans.

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I never mentioned Leo. I’m talking about in general in the NFL, not just who the Jets play this season. 

This entire thread is somebody citing Leonard Williams "QB hits" chart. Its in the original post. 

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm not suggesting jack sh*t. I posted an infographic from profootballfocus that has a Jets player on it literally without comment. Apparently it has triggered some Jets fans.

After all of the debate on here about Leo you just randomly start a new thread about what you assume is a positive stat that has already been talked about and debated a million times? Liar

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

IIRC, Williams has put up good QB hit numbers every year. Usually when a guy piles up hits but not sacks, the latter tends to catch up to the former the following season, but it hasn’t happened for him yet and it’s been long enough that it probably never will. Weird.

I know.  His career is basically over.  I mean its been forever. Am I right? 

The Leonard Williams hate is a close 2nd to Jamal Adams hate when it comes to goofy Jet fan opinions.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't take this guy...  and some here were advocating a trade for a 2nd or worse lol. 

Cringey stuff.

Maybe it’s just me but I find QB hits to be one of the more useless stats out there. Congrats. You almost got there. 

Don’t you hear some DC’s saying QB hits are just as important as sacks because sacks don’t always tell the whole story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Don’t you hear some DC’s saying QB hits are just as important as sacks because sacks don’t always tell the whole story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don’t. And i’m sure they’re not talking about 16 hits over 16 games. 

45 minutes ago, Pac said:

The Leonard Williams hate is a close 2nd to Jamal Adams hate when it comes to goofy Jet fan opinions.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't take this guy...  and some here were advocating a trade for a 2nd or worse lol. 

Cringey stuff.

While I agree with most of your post Pac, the  " cringy stuff" is the prospect of paying him 14.2 million dollars for more of the same mediocre contributions that we've seen from him since the second half of his rookie season.

While I'm for keeping him this season, it's make or break time.  I can't disregard my "lying eyes" in respect to this player, and what I've seen is slightly above average effort, production, and talent.  If that doesn't change in a huge way this year, we'll have our answer.

I'd estimate that more than half the teams in the league would be just fine without a Leonard Williams on their roster.  If he doesn't get it done this year, you can add the Jets to the list.

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Can't wait to see what Greg Williams does to Leo 

Can't wait to see what K Osemele does to Leonard Williams in practice.  l Williams either improves or gets put on his back again.  The knock on L Williams coming out was his strength.     Osemele is extremely strong, and you should know pretty quick about l Williams heart.   I would watch this matchup at practice.

Archived