Here's what it comes down to...

I do think Washington will be in the mix, I can realistically see the 15th, their 2nd and next years 1 for them to grab Haskins...  it's not too steep a price for them to acquire some hope for that franchise qb, we can secure an extra pick this year hoping somebody slides to 15 then add another hole with the 2nd rdr, and hope for a high 1 next year...

I dont see NYG wanting move up, for some reason I think they are either trading for Rosen or sitting tight...  I can see Denver possibly swapping, but my feeling would be they would only offer a 2nd for us to move down to 10...

not a great year for qbs, but all it takes is 1, I hope Haskins wowed them in the interviews and private workouts...

Sleeper pick for me would be Oak with a swap and maybe we grab a 2nd...  I wonder if Mayock loves Haskins...

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Here we are, and yes he is a beast.  With all that, I still think that the Jets must trade down.  If they don't, I would want Williams, but would be just fine with Josh Allen, probably more so than Bosa.

Couldn't agree more. This is a deep draft and the more picks we have the better we'll be. If the draft goes Murray, Bosa as most expect, there are a bunch of guys who are fairly equal left and could be pick in the 4-8 range. I would NOT want to trade down to say Washington at 15. We can get a legit starter early in this draft.

• Sympathy 1

Here's what I think:

The owner and the GM have said multiple times each that this off-season was about protecting Darnold and making his supporting cast better. That has not been a secret. With that being said I don't know how you then take a defensive player at #3 when your next pick is over 60 picks away. That would be a colossal mistake.

The offensive line needs to be rebuilt. They have a hole at Center, some would say the most important player for a young QB is the Center. Their LT and RT are free agents after next year and their Guards have 1 more year after that and aging.

This off-season is supposed to be about the QB and building him and his supporting cast up to give him the best possible chance to progress and become the guy we want him to be. Taking any defensive player at 3 does nothing to help him at all. Trade back in the 1st and pick up a 2nd round pick and hopefully more. Use those first two picks to address the offensive line. It doesn't even matter which positions since the entire line needs to be replaced. The Jets have a prime example of what it means to a QB to have a great offensive line in front of him in what the Colts did last year. It's not a coincidence that Luck had his best year last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“We just felt like Quinnen was too good a value to pass up. He was the number one player on our board and, quite frankly, we were surprised he was there for us when it came time to pick.”

Sums up Macc's draft philosophy quite nicely. The man should be blogging in a Starbucks and nowhere near a GM position in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Assuming no more impactful moves are made from now until the draft it's going to come down to the Jet's picking at #3 and staring at Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen.  I really feel like Kyler Murray to Arizona is a lock.  I also feel like when it comes down to it San Francisco will no way in hell pass up on Nick Bosa so that'll put the Jets in an amazing spot.  With those two available I'm hoping the trade offer would have to be an extreme haul to even remotely entertain which I doubt will happen.  So when it all comes down to it who is everyone drafting between Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen??  

So first, I want to say that there is NO WAY you can assume that Murray goes #1 AND Bosa goes #2. It's likely but obviously not definite. Rosen is still on the Cardinals and Bosa has enough questions regarding his health that teams may shy away. Especially the Niners, who just signed an edge rusher for big money and have a great spot for QW to step right in and start (or at the very least immediately be part of a deep D-line rotation). 

However, as much as I love QW as a prospect, in recent weeks I have been leaning more and more towards Allen if it were to come down to the two at #3. 

Seems like the Jets will do everything they can to trade down while getting good value. If they can't, I'd like them to draft Allen because of his immense upside as an edge rusher and his versatility as an OLB.   

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Sums up Macc's draft philosophy quite nicely. The man should be blogging in a Starbucks and nowhere near a GM position in the NFL.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

“We just felt like Quinnen was too good a value to pass up. He was the number one player on our board and, quite frankly, we were surprised he was there for us when it came time to pick.”

Although it's fair to criticize Macc for choosing players based on the 'top player on their board' regardless of position and overlooking need, it's strange to me that people don't see how the Leonard Williams pick ended up turning out.

Right now LW is a solid player who had underachieved for the #6 overall pick but is still considered a good player that any team would want on their roster and if the Jets let him walk will probably pay big money for. He is a Pro Bowler and consistently requires double teams. He is still young and has plenty of room to grow. 

I hear Jet fans saying it was a terrible pick b/c the need was not there b/c the Jets had Sheldon and Wilk. However, the Jets were NEVER going to keep both of those guys. It would ave const too much money. And look at how those two worked out anyway. Sheldon never lived up top the promise he displayed early on in his career. I don't think any Jet fan would want him on the team anymore or want him in lieu of Big Cat. You can say the same about Wilk, although in aggregate he has had a longer, more fruitful career. And for the record, Macc did not draft either one of those guys.   

And you can boo-hoo about Maccs draft philosophy but so far in 4 drafts it has yielded Adams, Darnold and LW, as well as starters in Shell, Jenkins, Maye and Herndon. I'm not including backups and I'm not including L.Edwards b/c he is a punter. And I am not including D.Lee b/c he is considered pretty much a goner. I'm not including Robby Anderson b/c he was an UDFA and we are not talking about FAs. 

I personally think Macc gets too much criticism for what he was able to do with the team he took over- which is both load up for a run with vets and tear the team back down and rebuild. 

Also, Darnold and Adams. One of the best QB prospects the Jets have had in AGES and probably the best safety the Jets have EVER had. I mean, that right there is all you need to know. Again, he had 4 drafts and got us one of the best QB prospects the Jets have had since Namath and one of the best safeties the Jets have EVER had.    

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

So first, I want to say that there is NO WAY you can assume that Murray goes #1 AND Bosa goes #2. It's likely but obviously not definite. Rosen is still on the Cardinals and Bosa has enough questions regarding his health that teams may shy away. Especially the Niners, who just signed an edge rusher for big money and have a great spot for QW to step right in and start (or at the very least immediately be part of a deep D-line rotation). 

However, as much as I love QW as a prospect, in recent weeks I have been leaning more and more towards Allen if it were to come down to the two at #3. 

Seems like the Jets will do everything they can to trade down while getting good value. If they can't, I'd like them to draft Allen because of his immense upside as an edge rusher and his versatility as an OLB.   

At first I was all in on Bosa, but more and more I'm leaning towards Allen myself. With the recent run of luck the Jets been having lately with players falling to them, I got a feeling that both Bosa and Allen will be there at 3. That would put the Jets in an interesting situation to say the least. They will have the pick of the litter with two great edge rusher prospects while receiving calls from desperate teams wanting the Jets pick. If I was GM I would keep the pick and grab one of the elite rushers.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Although it's fair to criticize Macc for choosing players based on the 'top player on their board' regardless of position and overlooking need, it's strange to me that people don't see how the Leonard Williams pick ended up turning out.

Right now LW is a solid player who had underachieved for the #6 overall pick but is still considered a good player that any team would want on their roster and if the Jets let him walk will probably pay big money for. He is a Pro Bowler and consistently requires double teams. He is still young and has plenty of room to grow. 

I hear Jet fans saying it was a terrible pick b/c the need was not there b/c the Jets had Sheldon and Wilk. However, the Jets were NEVER going to keep both of those guys. It would ave const too much money. And look at how those two worked out anyway. Sheldon never lived up top the promise he displayed early on in his career. I don't think any Jet fan would want him on the team anymore or want him in lieu of Big Cat. You can say the same about Wilk, although in aggregate he has had a longer, more fruitful career. And for the record, Macc did not draft either one of those guys.   

And you can boo-hoo about Maccs draft philosophy but so far in 4 drafts it has yielded Adams, Darnold and LW, as well as starters in Shell, Jenkins, Maye and Herndon. I'm not including backups and I'm not including L.Edwards b/c he is a punter. And I am not including D.Lee b/c he is considered pretty much a goner. I'm not including Robby Anderson b/c he was an UDFA and we are not talking about FAs. 

I personally think Macc gets too much criticism for what he was able to do with the team he took over- which is both load up for a run with vets and tear the team back down and rebuild. 

Also, Darnold and Adams. One of the best QB prospects the Jets have had in AGES and probably the best safety the Jets have EVER had. I mean, that right there is all you need to know. Again, he had 4 drafts and got us one of the best QB prospects the Jets have had since Namath and one of the best safeties the Jets have EVER had.    

Nice how you point out the ones he hit on and ignore the fact that yes he did draft Darnold and THEN IGNORED THE OL. How do you draft your franchise QB and not draft an OL to protect him? How do you trade away a 3rd rounder when a decent Center is there for the taking? The list goes on and on. The man has proven his talent evaluation is suspect and his ability to construct a contending roster is non-existent. Passing on Watson/Mahomes for Adams when the need for a QB was paramount, drafting Lee, and I could go on and on. Macc should have been let go with Bowles end of story.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There is a twisted flipside to this.  I heard the guy on Locked on Jets list each of the number 3 picks back to 2000.  There are alot of busts on that list.  Interestingly, the DTs picked there tended not to be busts-guys like McCoy and Dareus.  None of those DTs lead those teams to the Super Bowl, but they were less likely to bust.  That is what Mac is all about in Rd 1-don't bust, high floor.  Quinnen would do that for him.

This pick is where Mac shows he is a real GM.  If Josh Allen is a real 3-4 EDGE, you take him in 10 seconds.  We have been trying for one of those for over 10 years.   You get him on a rookie contract.  Its a no brainer.  But if he is not that good, you are better off with more picks and solidify the OL, WR, etc.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Nice how you point out the ones he hit on and ignore the fact that yes he did draft Darnold and THEN IGNORED THE OL. How do you draft your franchise QB and not draft an OL to protect him? How do you trade away a 3rd rounder when a decent Center is there for the taking? The list goes on and on. The man has proven his talent evaluation is suspect and his ability to construct a contending roster is non-existent. Passing on Watson/Mahomes for Adams when the need for a QB was paramount, drafting Lee, and I could go on and on. Macc should have been let go with Bowles end of story.

Mac is just awful at team construction.  To me, it is very hard to argue that this is not a two year plan.  With Mosley and Williamson, we are back to Davis and Harris-2 slowish ILBs.  At least with Lee he had the speed to cover sometimes.   If we start Williamson and Mosley we will see the wheel routes and TEs again.  Stewart over Elfein, Shepherd over the OL-the list goes on.  There is no sense at all to how he puts together a team.  

If the goal was to put together a team for this year you outbid for Houston and Morse and then find pieces in the draft.  That kills the cap space but the team is complete.  Right now there is an incomplete team with leftover cap space.  

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

So you're willing to trade down and pass up on a player like Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen for who?  Give me a trade down scenario and who the picks would be just out of curiosity so I can compare because the more I watch those guys the more I feel like the gap between them and the rest of the talent in this draft is enormous. 

Bills move from 12th to 7th and pick Josh Allen. 

• Bills send 12th, 53rd, and 56th.
  • Buccaneers receive 12th pick (move up 5 picks) and 255th pick

Eagles trade 2 first round picks to the Browns to move from 8th to 2nd in the first round and pick Carson Wentz

• Eagles send 8th, 77th, 100th, next year first round and second round
  • Eagles receive 2nd and next year 4th round

I wouldn't mind receiving something like this and moving back. We still get a pass rusher in the first round (Rashan Gary, Ed Oviler, Montez Sweat) and with the additional picks add 2 starting offensive linemen in the center and tackle position. 

I don't remember a draft where a GM like ours has been more publicly open about moving back so far before draft night.

• Sympathy 1

The interesting thing to me is the effect on our trade down aspirations on what happens with the QBs.

Is it better for us if Murray goes #1 so that teams panic about getting haskins and want to mover up?  Or is it better if no Qb has been picked when it comes to our pick?  I actually think it would be better if Haskins and Murray were both still on the board at #3.

I can see some team falling in love with Murray moreso than Haskins and be willing to trade up to get him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Nice how you point out the ones he hit on and ignore the fact that yes he did draft Darnold and THEN IGNORED THE OL. How do you draft your franchise QB and not draft an OL to protect him? How do you trade away a 3rd rounder when a decent Center is there for the taking? The list goes on and on. The man has proven his talent evaluation is suspect and his ability to construct a contending roster is non-existent. Passing on Watson/Mahomes for Adams when the need for a QB was paramount, drafting Lee, and I could go on and on. Macc should have been let go with Bowles end of story.

Curious as to who was the center they missed on?

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Can we please end this "Leonard Williams got double teamed all of the time" narrative/excuse. He was double teamed 55% of the time and less than Henry Anderson (60%). 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The interesting thing to me is the effect on our trade down aspirations on what happens with the QBs.

Is it better for us if Murray goes #1 so that teams panic about getting haskins and want to mover up?  Or is it better if no Qb has been picked when it comes to our pick?  I actually think it would be better if Haskins and Murray were both still on the board at #3.

I can see some team falling in love with Murray moreso than Haskins and be willing to trade up to get him.

I think it's better if both are there. Some teams may covet Murray, Haskins or Lock, who has been getting pushed up mocks lately. Having them all there keeps a bunch of teams in the bidding. 

With that being said the most important thing is for the narrative to persist that the Raiders are taking a QB at 4. That will almost force a desperate team to jump ahead of them to make sure they get their guy.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Who I think we will draft: Allen

who I think we should draft: QW

I think this pick will say alot about where the Jets are headed.  

Heading into the draft, the CBs are Trumaine and Roberts, the ILBs are both of the run stopping variety and the 2 DEs in the 3-4 are signed for $24mm in 2019.  Unless they thought that QW could step into the DT role (rendering last years DL picks and McClendon useless), drafting QW would not really move the needle for this team.  

Part of me thinks that the Jets realized that Josh Allen would be there at 3, and plugging him into a 3-4 defense with Mosley, Henry and Leo is actually not a half bad idea for a good defense in 2019.  

13 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

So you're willing to trade down and pass up on a player like Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen for who?  Give me a trade down scenario and who the picks would be just out of curiosity so I can compare because the more I watch those guys the more I feel like the gap between them and the rest of the talent in this draft is enormous. 

Not just that. We have to face reality, mac has 1 of the worst, if not the worst draft record of gms with five years. Anybody and their grandmother can make a top 10 pick, if we get too cute and trade down we are risking blowing the pick. Since the later picks take a lot more skill by gm, where we have not done well obviously.  if we stay at 3, not even a chimp could make a bad pick 

The play would be to trade down, given the large amount of needs the Jets have.  Unfortunately, every team in the top 10 are also seriously entertaining  trading down.  It's hard to see anyone trading the draft capital to get one of the DE/DTs given that there are already so many potentially good ones in this draft, which means they would likely swap picks later (for a much lower cost).  Which means that unless Ari doesn't go QB and Kyler drops to us, I don't see any team seriously putting up the capital.

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Macc's draft "philosophy". That's the perfect word to describe what we've been seeing. Not everyone believe's that there is such a thing. Unfortunately he should be in a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts as you stated. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

I've never heard anyone say that. Maybe left tackle, but not center.

The blindside tackle is probably the most important with keeping the QB upright.  A veteran center would help a young QB identify assignments pre-snap.  Not sure how much a non-veteran center helps a QB who is also learning and getting up to speed with the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Not just that. We have to face reality, mac has 1 of the worst, if not the worst draft record of gms with five years. Anybody and their grandmother can make a top 10 pick, if we get too cute and trade down we are risking blowing the pick. Since the later picks take a lot more skill by gm, where we have not done well obviously.  if we stay at 3, not even a chimp could make a bad pick 

I agree. 

However, he has made some decent picks in later rounds 

TE Chris Herndon (ROUND 4, 107th, 2018)

CB DERRICK JONES (ROUND 6, 2017)

OLB JORDAN JENKINS (ROUND 3, 2016)

RB ELI MCGUIRE (ROUND 6, 2017)

RT BRANDON SHELL (ROUND 5, 2016)

OG/C Jarrvis Harrison (ROUND 5, 152)

P Lachlan Edwards (ROUND 7, 235)

Interesting to see his approach when it comes to drafting offensive lineman considering he doesn't draft this position usually. Trading back and giving him more opportunity is a good move, in my opinion. There is also going to be really good pass rushers in the middle of the first round. 

10 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I agree. 

However, he has made some decent picks in later rounds 

OG/C Jarrvis Harrison (ROUND 5, 152) 

Dude-understanding that the Draft is a crapshoot. this one is up there with Hackenburg as just a terrible waste of a pick, even if only a 5th round pick.  The guy basically did not want to play football.  How do you spend a draft pick on someone who does not want to play football.

At least Devin Smith and Lorenzo Mauldin were credible attempts at need and value.  The following players would not have been picked in the rounds picked by the Jets by anyone on this board:

Harrison

Hackenburg

Burris for a man to man defense

Stewart

Hansen

Donahue (I will give him Leggett)

Shepherd

Let's not also forget all of the draft picks traded for stiffs.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Surprised/happy to see mostly reasonable replies in here. Some prefer this or that player - but everyone least appreciates the bigger picture and the desire to trade down or flesh out the roster with an impact player.

You know... if Macc just didn't' suck SO HARD at drafting... like sooo hard... we wouldn't be this wound up and argumentative half the time. But alas he's sh*t the bed nearly everytime there was a decision to be made. And thus confidence plummets, anxiety elevates, and we start lamenting and fighting. 

Everything is Macc's fault. 

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

I've never heard anyone say that. Maybe left tackle, but not center.

The Center is typically the leader of the offensive line. He does a lot pre snap that helps the line and the QB to recognize blitzes and make adjustments.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll throw up if we draft DT over an edge rusher.

The Quinnen is a beast brigade will be along shortly.

yep.  there may be a certain logic in drafting good football players but they already have that position filled.  they need to draft players that can improve other positions or have an impact.  i'd rather they trade back and go oline but if they can't they need to seriously consider one of the edges.

10 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The options at 3 are going to likely require some difficult decisionmaking by Mac. Not really a place I'd like to be. Obviously trade down seems to be ideal, but the problem is that none of these top defensive picks tested great athletically and the guys who did (Gary, Oliver) are not really "projected" at 3.

Uh oh, here come the SPARQ boys to defend Quinnen Williams. Watch out! Lol

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

yep.  there may be a certain logic in drafting good football players but they already have that position filled.  they need to draft players that can improve other positions or have an impact.  i'd rather they trade back and go oline but if they can't they need to seriously consider one of the edges.

You're making too much sense. 

9 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

The Jets do have holes but all these holes cannot be filled in one offseason.  You take the star player now at #3 while you have the chance and work on filling the rest of the holes next offseason.

The star player at 3 right now does not IMO put the Jets in the playoffs. That's why Mac must trade down. He's late in this GM game and he's way behind. His job is on the line THIS season. The only way this Jets team makes the sudden switch from one of the very least talented teams in the league to playoff team is Mac filling MANY more holes on this Swiss cheese roster. That starts by trading down accumulating a few more picks and doing lots of damage in rounds 2 and 3.