McCarthy: Firing couldn't have been handled worse

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025170/article/mccarthy-firing-couldnt-have-been-handled-worse

Kevin Patra

Mike McCarthy knew change could be coming if the losing mounted in Green Bay. The former Packers coach, however, never expected to be jettisoned in the middle of the season.

"If we missed the playoffs, I expected change might happen," McCarthy told ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky in a Q&A with the former coach. "But the timing surprised me. Actually it stunned me. It couldn't have been handled any worse."

The Packers fired McCarthy after a Dec. 13 loss to the lowly Arizona Cardinals at Lambeau Field. Packers president Mark Murphy made it clear in the aftermath of the firing that the loss clearly played a role in the team's decision to move on in the middle of the season, something it hadn't done in more than six decades.

McCarthy took issue with being let go in the middle of a campaign directly after a loss.

"Obviously. It couldn't have been handled any worse," McCarthy told Demovsky. "Anytime you lose a close game, it's a difficult time emotionally afterwards, but when you lose a home game at Lambeau Field in December, it's really hard. And that hasn't happened very often. I walked out of my press conference, and I'm thinking about the game, thinking about how our playoff shot was now minimal. That's where my head was at. And when I was told Mark Murphy wanted to see me -- and the messenger was cold and the energy was bad. Mark said it was an ugly loss, and it was time to make change. He said something about the offense and the special teams, and he didn't think it was going to get any better. There was no emotion to it. That was hard."

McCarthy said in his 13 years with the Packers, when he had to let players go, he tried to do it with as much personal touch as possible. The ex-coach didn't feel he got the same treatment from the front office.

"That exit, frankly, Rob, the exit really stuck with me for a while," he told Demovsky. "It was hard to swallow. The emotional challenge of shifting from humiliation to reflection was a very important step in seeking clarity so I could personally grow from the experience of my entire Green Bay Packer career; that's what I wanted to get to, not just the ending of it."

McCarthy admitted in the Q&A that over the course of 13 years, it's unrealistic not to have frustrations with an organization, or even with a future Hall of Fame quarterback like Aaron Rodgers. The ex-coach also noted that he's most irritated by the narratives that his team got complacent, comfortable and stale -- particularly on offense -- under his guidance.

The alternative is leaving a guy in charge everyone knows is toast ala Todd Bowles.  

They did McCarthy a favor.  He got to spend a few extra weeks with his family before the season ended and plan his next move.  Problem is...for him anyway... he wasn't as hot an item as he thought he was.

The Jets hired the more innovative offensive mind in my opinion.   Gase is younger, more flexible, and smarter.  This is going to be similar to when the Raiders fired Mike Shanahan and the intradivisional Broncos eventually scooped him up.  The Dolphins made a big mistake...  and I think the Jets have a new "mastermind."

I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall in his interview with the Jets for the head coaching job. I am sure his relationship with his previous employers and how everything went down was a topic in the interview. 

He also seems like an in-house kind of coach so I was a little surprised when I read the article that he was that open about how his exit went down. Also the timing is a little off too, voluntary camp for the Packers just started or is about to start. Just a thought.

I for one was skeptical that if he couldn't do it with Rodger's he might not be the man to develop Darnold at this point of his career.  

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The alternative is leaving a guy in charge everyone knows is toast ala Todd Bowles.  

They did McCarthy a favor.  He got to spend a few extra weeks with his family before the season ended and plan his next move.  Problem is...for him anyway... he wasn't as hot an item as he thought he was.

The Jets hired the more innovative offensive mind in my opinion.   Gase is younger, more flexible, and smarter.

The Jets are known as an organization for not firing a coach in the middle of a season. I don't even think I was alive the last time it happened. 

What is your thoughts on it?

I agree with letting a guy finish things out, I can't remember an interim head coach getting the gig the next year. I also think the guy has a bond with his staff and in the locker room. 

Also, I only remember him taking 1 interview and that was with us, I can be wrong but I can't recall him taking any more after us. 

I'd rather hire Gase for his future and innovativeness rather than McCarthy for his past and riding Aaron Rodgers to one Super Bowl win in 13 years. Don't get me wrong, McCarthy is a decent coach but the NFL is changing and it's hard to assess a guy so closely tied to one QB and a lot of underwhelming playoff performances.

43 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

The Jets are known as an organization for not firing a coach in the middle of a season. I don't even think I was alive the last time it happened. 

I agree with letting a guy finish things out, I can't remember an interim head coach getting the gig the next year. I also think the guy has a bond with his staff and in the locker room. 

Also, I only remember him taking 1 interview and that was with us, I can be wrong but I can't recall him taking any more after us. 

My thought is that players need to know they are still playing for their jobs... not going through the motions or making a last ditch attempt to preserve someone else's.

Another poster made a great point that Bowles, desperately trying to win games and preserve his job, wasn't playing some of the younger guys enough.  Especially at cornerback.  Which is a real disservice to the GM, and next coaching staff that needs to evaluate the talent on the roster in the off-season. 

An interim coach is more likely to try to make an impression.   Spice things up.  Bowles never changed,  ever.

What is the difference between what happened in Cleveland who fired Hue Jackson mid-season, and the Jets hanging on to Bowles?  McCarthy in Green Bay?  Different method, different timing, same result. 

One of the biggest problems with Bowles, one of many, is that young players rarely seemed to improve under his watch.

If a guy isnt doing his job, I think the best choice is to move on.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

The Jets hired the more innovative offensive mind in my opinion.   Gase is younger, more flexible, and smarter.  This is going to be similar to when the Raiders fired Mike Shanahan and the intradivisional Broncos eventually scooped him up.  The Dolphins made a big mistake...  and I think the Jets have a new "mastermind."

the bolded is comical what do you base this on? I am dying to hear this. Gase ran one of the worst offenses in the league for his tenure and had a losing record and his teams got worse not better over time-odds are he walked into a decent situation and made it much worse.  His best players could not wait to get out of dodge as well. One guy has a winning record and a ring the other a losers loser-McCarthy was a scapegoat by Rodgers who played badly this past season and ate up a huge amount of cap and then complained about the players around him

35 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is comical what do you base this on? I am dying to hear this. Gase ran one of the worst offenses in the league for his tenure and had a losing record and his teams got worse not better over time-odds are he walked into a decent situation and made it much worse.  His best players could not wait to get out of dodge as well. One guy has a winning record and a ring the other a losers loser-McCarthy was a scapegoat by Rodgers who played badly this past season and ate up a huge amount of cap and then complained about the players around him

Your cynicism tells me I can't convince you of anything..

So here are words from Peyton Manning describing Gase.

"innovative, creative, aggressive -- a guy who just works all the time to put us in a position to succeed."

"This guy basically changed my career, the way that he made me think about the game."

"The smartest guy I know."

Even if PM is exaggerating... He wouldn't say things like that about a guy that wasn't really sharp.

But just in case you will give me credit for something I say as a fan that has watched the NFL for 35 years...

I saw Gase manufacture a handful of wins with mediocre teams by using clever trick plays with some aggressive "bucking the trend" game theory during his 3 years in Miami.  Something the Jets haven't done in... I don't know... forever.   Did you notice what he was doing with Albert Wilson prior to his injury?  That was no fluke.

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

1. In 2 years as wide receiver coach in denver he coached 2 players to pro bowls (Marshall 2009, Brandon Loyd 2010)
  2. In 2 years as offensive coordinator in denver he had seven different offensive players selected to the Pro Bowl: Manning, RB C.J. Anderson, WR Demaryius Thomas, WR Emmanuel Sanders, TE Julius Thomas, T Ryan Clady and G Louis Vazquez
  3. Broke multpile offensive records with Manning 
  4. Went to Chicago for 1 year , fixed Culter and had him at a 97.6 total QB rating for the year
  5. Miami's only year with Tannehill player a full year, Miami's first playoff berth since 2002
  6. Second youngest coach to be hired at 37, coaching tree : Saban, McDaniels, Martz, John Fox 

Do I need to go on ?

gase was 11-0 when all 11 first string offensive starters started.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

more proof he needed a year off, still salty... 

Exactly   Take the year off, rest up , collect your thoughts , see what you could have done differently then start looking.

1. In 2 years as wide receiver coach in denver he coached 2 players to pro bowls (Marshall 2009, Brandon Loyd 2010)
  2. In 2 years as offensive coordinator in denver he had seven different offensive players selected to the Pro Bowl: Manning, RB C.J. Anderson, WR Demaryius Thomas, WR Emmanuel Sanders, TE Julius Thomas, T Ryan Clady and G Louis Vazquez
  4. Went to Chicago for 1 year , fixed Culter and had him at a 97.6 total QB rating for the year
  5. Miami's only year with Tannehill player a full year, Miami's first playoff berth since 2002
  6. Second youngest coach to be hired at 37, coaching tree : Saban, McDaniels, Martz, John Fox 

Do I need to go on ?

Do I need to go on ?

This is not a winning arguement.

Most of the players you mentioned had TALENT. They were star players before and after Gase. Marshall, Manning, Julius Thomas, Sanders, Demaryius? Cmon man...even C.J Anderson is better than anyone we had last year.

Manning was a star in the league way before he ever met Gase.

Cutler was never "fixed"...he had a good year...then sucked again forever more...went back to Gase in Miami and still sucked. Martz was the only one on that coaching tree who won anything in the league and he won with Docks players. He is not a winning coach no matter how many times people make excuses for his record.

Payton loved him but changed his career? That's just b.s.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Your cynicism tells me I can't convince you of anything..

So here are words from Peyton Manning describing Gase.

"innovative, creative, aggressive -- a guy who just works all the time to put us in a position to succeed."

"This guy basically changed my career, the way that he made me think about the game."

"The smartest guy I know."

Even if PM is exaggerating... He wouldn't say things like that about a guy that wasn't really sharp.

But just in case you will give me credit for something I say as a fan that has watched the NFL for 35 years...

I saw Gase manufacture a handful of wins with mediocre teams by using clever trick plays with some aggressive "bucking the trend" game theory during his 3 years in Miami.  Something the Jets haven't done in... I don't know... forever.   Did you notice what he was doing with Albert Wilson prior to his injury?  That was no fluke.

Did Peyton ever say anything bad about anyone?  I think it's clear Gase wore out his welcome in Miami.  Let's hope he learned from that experience.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

I agree with you the Jets should have gone with Mcarthy.  Gase reminds me of Rick Kotite  a coach that saw 1 playoff appearance and was terrible his remaining years then fired. Mcarthy has a track record he developed Arron Rogers who was a project and less then certain prospect than Darnold was. The reason the Jets passed on Mcarthy because he would have taken to much control away from the Johnson boys who want the full control and yes man working under them. Mcarthy was a established coach who developed a hall of Fame QB and Gase he developed no one except Osweiler who Texans had to trade a second round pick away just for a team to take him. Peyton Manning ran the offense just like he did in Indy and  Gase was like Beningo said his coffee boy. I think fans are going to be regretting in 2 years when Mcarthy takes another team to the playoffs and the Jets are looking for a new coach and GM. Rogers already has problems with the new coach like you said Mcarthy was a scapegoat. also the fact Gase couldn't control the locker room and deal with players like Ajayi cant wait to see what happens when things don't go right and Bell starts Tweeting about how the Jets suck. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025170/article/mccarthy-firing-couldnt-have-been-handled-worse

Kevin Patra

Mike McCarthy knew change could be coming if the losing mounted in Green Bay. The former Packers coach, however, never expected to be jettisoned in the middle of the season.

"If we missed the playoffs, I expected change might happen," McCarthy told ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky in a Q&A with the former coach. "But the timing surprised me. Actually it stunned me. It couldn't have been handled any worse."

The Packers fired McCarthy after a Dec. 13 loss to the lowly Arizona Cardinals at Lambeau Field. Packers president Mark Murphy made it clear in the aftermath of the firing that the loss clearly played a role in the team's decision to move on in the middle of the season, something it hadn't done in more than six decades.

McCarthy took issue with being let go in the middle of a campaign directly after a loss.

"Obviously. It couldn't have been handled any worse," McCarthy told Demovsky. "Anytime you lose a close game, it's a difficult time emotionally afterwards, but when you lose a home game at Lambeau Field in December, it's really hard. And that hasn't happened very often. I walked out of my press conference, and I'm thinking about the game, thinking about how our playoff shot was now minimal. That's where my head was at. And when I was told Mark Murphy wanted to see me -- and the messenger was cold and the energy was bad. Mark said it was an ugly loss, and it was time to make change. He said something about the offense and the special teams, and he didn't think it was going to get any better. There was no emotion to it. That was hard."

McCarthy said in his 13 years with the Packers, when he had to let players go, he tried to do it with as much personal touch as possible. The ex-coach didn't feel he got the same treatment from the front office.

"That exit, frankly, Rob, the exit really stuck with me for a while," he told Demovsky. "It was hard to swallow. The emotional challenge of shifting from humiliation to reflection was a very important step in seeking clarity so I could personally grow from the experience of my entire Green Bay Packer career; that's what I wanted to get to, not just the ending of it."

McCarthy admitted in the Q&A that over the course of 13 years, it's unrealistic not to have frustrations with an organization, or even with a future Hall of Fame quarterback like Aaron Rodgers. The ex-coach also noted that he's most irritated by the narratives that his team got complacent, comfortable and stale -- particularly on offense -- under his guidance.

Frankly he couldn't have coached any worse. The guy had arguably the most talented QB in the league and he puts crap up for game plan, adjustment, for sight, temperament, I can only imagine the sh*tty job he did at practice or behind the scenes.

Hell Todd bowles would have won some games with Aaron as his qb

*Please note I am overreacting to the horrible uniform leaks and my comments should not be interpreted in anyway to suggest, imply, or otherwise mean that Todd bowls is somehow a better coach than McCarthy, Todd bowles is abhorrent and a disgrace as a head coach. McCarthy is slightly less crappy*

3 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

I agree with you the Jets should have gone with Mcarthy.  Gase reminds me of Rick Kotite  a coach that saw 1 playoff appearance and was terrible his remaining years then fired. Mcarthy has a track record he developed Arron Rogers who was a project and less then certain prospect than Darnold was. The reason the Jets passed on Mcarthy because he would have taken to much control away from the Johnson boys who want the full control and yes man working under them. Mcarthy was a established coach who developed a hall of Fame QB and Gase he developed no one except Osweiler who Texans had to trade a second round pick away just for a team to take him. Peyton Manning ran the offense just like he did in Indy and  Gase was like Beningo said his coffee boy. I think fans are going to be regretting in 2 years when Mcarthy takes another team to the playoffs and the Jets are looking for a new coach and GM. Rogers already has problems with the new coach like you said Mcarthy was a scapegoat. also the fact Gase couldn't control the locker room and deal with players like Ajayi cant wait to see what happens when things don't go right and Bell starts Tweeting about how the Jets suck. 

I am not 100% sold on Gase but McCarthy would have been an unmitigated disaster for us as bad or worse than Bowles. If someone is dumb to hire this guy he will ruin their franchise.

9 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

You have to have somebody on the staff that you think can fill in, deserves it or is ready for it.  Pack had a coach who had HC exp, we didn't. 

Different story

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I wanted McCarthy but I also like Gase

either guy is an instant upgrade over the empty suit Bowles

Absolutely, on that second part.

The more I hear Gase in interviews, the better I feel about the hire. I really wanted McCarthy and my reaction to the Gase hire was partly disappointment at not getting Mike. We'll see how it goes, but in any event...it will be nice to see real live halftime adjustments and actual opponent-specific gameplans.

12 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

This is not a winning arguement.

Most of the players you mentioned had TALENT. They were star players before and after Gase. Marshall, Manning, Julius Thomas, Sanders, Demaryius? Cmon man...even C.J Anderson is better than anyone we had last year.

Manning was a star in the league way before he ever met Gase.

Cutler was never "fixed"...he had a good year...then sucked again forever more...went back to Gase in Miami and still sucked. Martz was the only one on that coaching tree who won anything in the league and he won with Docks players. He is not a winning coach no matter how many times people make excuses for his record.

Payton loved him but changed his career? That's just b.s.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Hmmmm lets take a look,

1. Brandon Marshall's first Pro Bowl (Gase Wide Receiver Coach)
  2. Julius Thomas only 2 probowls (Gase offensive coordinator) dude is out of the league now 
  3. Emanual Sanders first pro bowl (Gase offensive coordinator) he didn't make another one until 2 years later
  4.  Demaryuis Thomas made 4 pro bowl appearances in his 8 year career, 2 of them were when Gase was offensive coordinator 
  5. Cj Anderson's only pro bowl was when Gase was offensive coordinator. Look at his quote he said about gase

“It wasn’t about the money,” Anderson said. “If it was about money, I would have chose Chicago, because they offered more. But I put myself in the greatest position. Put myself in a situation where if I was in Miami with Adam Gase I would have been a Pro Bowler in his system. I know his system very well. It’s just fun style, I love the system, and I understand that I can perform in that (offense).”

• 2015 Jay Cutler, 64 % comp. rate, 3,659 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, total QB rating of 92.3
  • 2018 Sam Darnold, 57% comp rate, 2,865 yards, 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, total QB rating of 47.9
  • So in 2019, Darnold would throw for 794 more yards, raise his comp rate 7% in the mid 60's range, 4 more touch downs, 4 less interceptions. That would raise his total QB rating up 44.4%
    • If he has that year he would have made a major improvement from year 1 to 2. 

Not really sure if this make it a "winning argument" but everything you just stated was complete sh*t, hopefully this help. 

The Packers were absolutely classless in how they handled parting ways with a head coach of Mike McCarthy's stature. At the very least McCarthy should have been allowed to go down swinging and finish the season before the Packers announced a coaching change. Firing him during the season was wrong, and I hope karma comes back to bight the Packers in the ass. You know the saying, be careful what you wish for. I'm predicting the in over his head McVay clone, Matt LaFleur, will become Aaron Rodgers next scapegoat. As for Mike McCarthy, I'm sure he'll get another head coaching gig, and when he does I for one hope it's with the Vikings when Mike Zimmer finally retires. It would be Farvesque of McCarthy to walk back into Lambeau Field with the Vikings of all teams. That would be epic just for the pure revenge factor.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm with you. Thank god we didn't hire that holy roller coach from Baylor. 

lmaoooo I know 

I really wanted Kiff Kingsbury.

I wonder who gets overall say the GM or coach on choosing a defensive coordinator.? I really like the addition of Gregg Williams and I think he can get this defense back to the 2010/11 days. 

I wonder if they don't choose holy roller coach from Baylor, Kingsbury, Mccarthy because they didn't want to bring in Williams or someone else who might not have been the best fit.

Archived