Petition to bring back Bilal Powell

WayneChrebet80

It won’t happen now that the Jets have Bell, but the Jets should seriously consider bringing him back to have as a cheap insurance policy. 

It’s knd of sad Powell wasted his career on the 2011-2018 Jets. Think how many players, GMs, and coaches he’s played with/for.

If he comes back healthy heck yes! Powell offers a different running style than Bell. Powell hits the hole real quick. Bell takes his time. I think those opposite running styles would compliment each other. Just when the opposing defense gets comfortable trying to stop Bell we throw Powell in for a series. If he's healthy Resign the Beast!

1 minute ago, Nixhead said:

If he comes back healthy heck yes! Powell offers a different running style than Bell. Powell hits the hole real quick. Bell takes his time. I think those opposite running styles would compliment each other. Just when the opposing defense gets comfortable trying to stop Bell we throw Powell in for a series. If he's healthy Resign the Beast!

Powell ain’t coming back.  Neck injuries are career killers especially for running backs

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Powell ain’t coming back.  Neck injuries are career killers especially for running backs

OK. The way he runs I can see him hurting his neck. Its a shame - was always waiting for that 1 big year from Powell like 1200 rushing yards and 60 catches but it never came.

2 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

OK. The way he runs I can see him hurting his neck. Its a shame - was always waiting for that 1 big year from Powell like 1200 rushing yards and 60 catches but it never came.

Powell was a victim of the current nfl mentality that you need to always have a committee backfield

Committees make sense when you have Peyton or Tom Brady running the offense but most other QBs your better off using a three down back

He was a great Jet who went a little underutilized and will remain under appreciated in my opinion.  We're lucky to have had him and it's unfortunate that most of his years spanned a pretty low period for Jets football.  But we're moving on, we're looking forward, and he's part of the past.  He'll be 31 yrs old in October, and he's replaceable.

Some really eye-opening statistics for Bilal by the way...

1315355784_ScreenShot2019-04-03at10_09_20PM.png.2b14f8b54ab9d5b6c2e67a96fad55d3f.png

Aside from a rookie season where he only made two game appearances, he never averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry and often was in the 4.3 to 4.5 range.

His career high in rush attempts was only 178 in 2017.

He caught 58 passes in 2016.

Over an 8 year career his total rushing yards are only 3,446.  He was the classic change-of-pace / spell the starter type of running back.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Which is why i find the Sterling signing curious. Had a concussion so serious. it kept him out close to three months. 1st game back. Concussion. Had one the year before too.

4 hours ago, genot said:

Which is why i find the Sterling signing curious. Had a concussion so serious. it kept him out close to three months. 1st game back. Concussion. Had one the year before too.

Bilal Powell supposedly had a cervical fusion is whats being reported Neal Sterling suffered from multiple concussions too close together. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bilal Powell supposedly had a cervical fusion is whats being reported Neal Sterling suffered from multiple concussions too close together. 

Al Toon has alot of problems because of his concussion history. It's not like Sterling is going to be our main guy at tight end. Cmon.

He was a good backup RB. Never was capable of carrying the load buta team player and a top backup/change of pace RB.

He’s an OK insurance policy.

Coincidentally, ever since he arrived, we’ve sucked and haven’t made the playoffs, not that it was his fault. 

I was a Bilal Powell fan before it was cool, but now the guy is 30 years old and coming off a serious injury. Probably not worth more than a league minimum deal to anyone at this point. Guy's made $16M in his career. Not bad for a RB drafted in the fourth round. He should probably hang 'em up at this stage of the game. 

RB is a young man's position, and if I was looking for a compliment to this group it would be a power runner who could handle the short-yardage pounding and shield Bell from that punishment. Powell certainly isn't that guy. 

Powell has put together a nice, tidy career for a backup RB who was never asked to carry the load. He’s made a lot of money, avoided any expectation, and gets to ride off into the sunset with New York sports fans thinking he was a better player than he was. He’s like the Derek Jeter of running backs.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. Nobody did. I'm just bothered that he was signed, considering his concussion history, and what his role on the team would be.

Bothered?  The kid is a good player if he can avoid the concussions I blame Todd Bowles for putting him on the kickoff team and our medical staff for bringing him back way too soon last season. 

Im hoping he is able to contribute to success here. 

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Powell has put together a nice, tidy career for a backup RB who was never asked to carry the load. He’s made a lot of money, avoided any expectation, and gets to ride off into the sunset with New York sports fans thinking he was a better player than he was. He’s like the Derek Jeter of running backs.

Derek nibbled on more Victoria's Secret appetizers and parlayed his time here into an ownership stake of a MLB team.  Then there is the whole jersey number in Monuments park thing.

But other than that pretty identical I agree.

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bothered?  The kid is a good player if he can avoid the concussions I blame Todd Bowles for putting him on the kickoff team and our medical staff for bringing him back way too soon last season. 

Im hoping he is able to contribute to success here. 

He can't avoid the concussions. He's concussion prone. He missed most of the exhibition season and was put on injured reserve. That's how bad his concussion was. It's not about him the player. It's about his long term health. It's just an issue with me.

16 minutes ago, genot said:

He can't avoid the concussions. He's concussion prone. He missed most of the exhibition season and was put on injured reserve. That's how bad his concussion was. It's not about him the player. It's about his long term health. It's just an issue with me.

Facts all concussions happened during the regular season. Im hoping he can rebound and contribute, I've seen what he can do with the ball in his hands. 

• Jets re-signed TE Neal Sterling.

Sterling has spent the last two seasons with the Jets, catching 12 passes for 129 yards in 16 games. He ended last season on injured reserve with a concussion. Sterling will compete for a role behind Chris Herndon on the depth chart.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:30 AM
  • Jets placed TE Neal Sterling (concussion) on injured reserve.

Sterling suffered his second concussion of the year in Week 9. He started four of the five games he appeared in as the Jets' No. 2 tight end before going down. An impending free agent, Sterling could be brought back for the veteran minimum.

Nov 10, 2018, 4:22 PM
  • Jets TE Neal Sterling (concussion) will not play in Week 3 at the Browns.

The Jets are preparing for Thursday night's game in Cleveland. Rookie Chris Herndon will stand in as Gang Green's receiving tight end against the Browns.

SOURCE:
    Sep 17, 2018, 5:18 PM

Archived