Petition to bring back Bilal Powell

WayneChrebet80

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Facts all concussions happened during the regular season. Im hoping he can rebound and contribute, I've seen what he can do with the ball in his hands. 

• Jets re-signed TE Neal Sterling.

Sterling has spent the last two seasons with the Jets, catching 12 passes for 129 yards in 16 games. He ended last season on injured reserve with a concussion. Sterling will compete for a role behind Chris Herndon on the depth chart.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:30 AM
  • Jets placed TE Neal Sterling (concussion) on injured reserve.

Sterling suffered his second concussion of the year in Week 9. He started four of the five games he appeared in as the Jets' No. 2 tight end before going down. An impending free agent, Sterling could be brought back for the veteran minimum.

Nov 10, 2018, 4:22 PM
  • Jets TE Neal Sterling (concussion) will not play in Week 3 at the Browns.

The Jets are preparing for Thursday night's game in Cleveland. Rookie Chris Herndon will stand in as Gang Green's receiving tight end against the Browns.

SOURCE:
    Sep 17, 2018, 5:18 PM

Your right. It was Josh martin who suffered the concussion in the pre-season.My bad.

I always liked Powell for what he was and thought he legitimately tried to improve his performance every year. That said, neck injuries should not be taken lightly and he should really think about retiring from the game to avoid a life of pain or limited mobility in his neck. If he's 100% healed I wouldn't feel bad about him returning to the team but it's fairly clear Macc made different decisions in the offseason. 

13 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

It won’t happen now that the Jets have Bell, but the Jets should seriously consider bringing him back to have as a cheap insurance policy. 

It’s knd of sad Powell wasted his career on the 2011-2018 Jets. Think how many players, GMs, and coaches he’s played with/for.

Shouldnt an insurance policy type player not be a player who over his career needed an insurance policy?  A player who was pretty much always dinged up and unavailable far to often?

On 4/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, More Cowbell said:

Every season he starts out great and fades. No thanks 

Every season except 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2017.  Those years he started as strong or stronger than he started. Also 2011 and 2014 wouldn't really qualify (as starting strong then fading) either, since he barely touched the ball early or late in those seasons.

He started strong and faded once, in 2013. I don't even know how "strong" a start that was; more like one really big game against a trash Buffalo rush D, and one pretty good game against a meh Titans rush D. Then this past year he started relatively strong (considering the excuses now afforded to McGuire behind the same OL) and then got a freak neck injury. Not exactly "fading," since that would connote wearing down with poor performances as the season went on.

But yeah, every season. Good call.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Every season except 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2017.  Those years he started as strong or stronger than he started. Also 2011 and 2014 wouldn't really qualify (as starting strong then fading) either, since he barely touched the ball early or late in those seasons.

He started strong and faded once, in 2013. I don't even know how "strong" a start that was; more like one really big game against a trash Buffalo rush D, and one pretty good game against a meh Titans rush D. Then this past year he started relatively strong (considering the excuses now afforded to McGuire behind the same OL) and then got a freak neck injury. Not exactly "fading," since that would connote wearing down with poor performances as the season went on.

And therefore, @More Cowbell, never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Another savage beat down.  Aka "Thursday" for Sperm Edwards.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Answer me this. If Powell was such a good player as you are saying, why were the Jets constantly  looking for another alternative as a lead back. They actually thought Crowell was a better option and he has done nothing in Cleveland to distinguish himself, before that we went with a broken down Matt Forte who honestly gave us one so so year for his time here. Why didn't  the Jets just go with Powell and McGuire? 

22 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Answer me this. If Powell was such a good player as you are saying, why were the Jets constantly  looking for another alternative as a lead back. They actually thought Crowell was a better option and he has done nothing in Cleveland to distinguish himself, before that we went with a broken down Matt Forte who honestly gave us one so so year for his time here. Why didn't  the Jets just go with Powell and McGuire? 

Are you hallucinating or are you just blatantly lying on purpose? 

No part of my post said - or even hinted - that Powell was such a good player. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Are you hallucinating or are you just blatantly lying on purpose? 

No part of my post said - or even hinted - that Powell was such a good player. 

So what do you mean by he started strong and finished strong.

Here is your quote

Every season except 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2017.  Those years he started as strong or stronger than he started. Also 2011 and 2014 wouldn't really qualify (as starting strong then fading) either, since he barely touched the ball early or late in those seasons.

I'm assuming you made typo and meant to write those years he finished as strong. When Powell is playing well, I would put him up against any back in the league so if he finished as strong as he started out, you would think he was reliable which always seemed  to be the issue why he was never a starter. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So what do you mean by he started strong and finished strong.

Here is your quote

Every season except 2012, 2015, 2016, and 2017.  Those years he started as strong or stronger than he started. Also 2011 and 2014 wouldn't really qualify (as starting strong then fading) either, since he barely touched the ball early or late in those seasons.

I'm assuming you made typo and meant to write those years he finished as strong. When Powell is playing well, I would put him up against any back in the league so if he finished as strong as he started out, you would think he was reliable which always seemed  to be the issue why he was never a starter. 

Yeah and what part of him objectively 'finishing stronger or finishing about as strong as he started' equates to my saying he's "such a good player"? No part.

Just as objectively, for example, Geno Smith finished stronger than he started in his rookie year. That doesn't and didn't make him "such a good player" either.

You serious with this stuff?

I mean, never mind that you're conspicuously glossing over your being 100% dead wrong anyway.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah and what part of him objectively 'finishing stronger or finishing about as strong as he started' equates to my saying he's "such a good player"? No part.

Just as objectively, for example, Geno Smith finished stronger than he started in his rookie year. That doesn't and didn't make him "such a good player" either.

You serious with this stuff?

I mean, never mind that you're conspicuously glossing over your being 100% dead wrong anyway.

When I say a guy is a strong player, it implies he is a good player as well. I would never say Geno ever was a strong QB but I would say Powell was a strong RB because he plays the position about as well as any back when he has his strong starts. 

Honestly you don't  need to reply to this. I never heard anyone refer to a player as strong unless they were trying to say he was good. This is a first.  

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

When I say a guy is a strong player, it implies he is a good player as well. I would never say Geno ever was a strong QB but I would say Powell was a strong RB because he plays the position about as well as any back when he has his strong starts. 

Honestly you don't  need to reply to this. I never heard anyone refer to a player as strong unless they were trying to say he was good. This is a first.  

I didnt say that either, though. You're making up more stuff to then argue against the stuff you've made up.

Stronger starts our stronger finishes are  terms used relative to that player's weaker starts or finishes. 

As in I'm older than I was a year earlier. That doesn't therefore make me old.

Most people know this. Even you might, but it's a convenient and clearly purposeful deflection for your being way wrong about Powell's typical season; that, and not these stupid fabricated semantics, the only thing I was commenting on, and it's blatantly the one thing you're  twisting yourself to avoid yet again.

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didnt say that either, though. You're making up more stuff to then argue against the stuff you've made up.

Stronger starts our stronger finishes are  terms used relative to that player's weaker starts or finishes. 

As in I'm older than I was a year earlier. That doesn't therefore make me old.

Most people know this. Even you might, but it's a convenient and clearly purposeful deflection for your being way wrong about Powell's typical season; that, and not these stupid fabricated semantics, the only thing I was commenting on, and it's blatantly the one thing you're  twisting yourself to avoid yet again.

Excuse me, I was the one who used the term he starts strong and then I said he fades. I just said  if I say a guy has a strong start that means he is playing well, I also said I would never use the term strong with Geno. Are you now telling  me what I was thinking when I used these terms?

Hey, Geno only threw 2 picks and none were a pick six, earlier he was throwing 4 and one would be a pick 6 . Geno is finishing stronger. Do you realize how retarded that sounds? A better term is he only sucks to a lesser extent. 

I swear, you are either playing semantics or building straw men. This is constant when you argue with me. Its like i start making a point and you argue something else. This time it's  the relativity of the term strong. And you say I play semantics? 

For the record, if in the future I say a player is starting out strong or playing  a strong game, it means I think he is good, well enough to start. 

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Excuse me, I was the one who used the term he starts strong and then I said he fades. I just said  if I say a guy has a strong start that means he is playing well, I also said I would never use the term strong with Geno. Are you now telling  me what I was thinking when I used these terms?

Hey, Geno only threw 2 picks and none were a pick six, earlier he was throwing 4 and one would be a pick 6 . Geno is finishing stronger. Do you realize how retarded that sounds? A better term is he only sucks to a lesser extent. 

I swear, you are either playing semantics or building straw men. This is constant when you argue with me. Its like i start making a point and you argue something else. This time it's  the relativity of the term strong. And you say I play semantics? 

For the record, if in the future I say a player is starting out strong or playing  a strong game, it means I think he is good, well enough to start. 

Geno having a stronger finish than he started in his rookie season is what I said. For a rookie (him in particular), 7 TDs and 2 turnovers, with no receivers, is a stronger finish. That didn't therefore make him a strong player, which he wasn't. Don't get upset with me because you don't know what words mean.

Then building straw men? That's a laugh you firing that at anyone. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Your entire first response to me was nothing but that: ascribing things to me that I never said, then finding fault with and arguing against it. What do we call that type of argument? There's a name for it.

Why not just admit you were dead wrong on Powell instead of this ridiculousness with your personal definitions of what words mean among your other silliness? Powell's typical season was not to start out strong and then fade. It happened once in his entire career (if even that). That is, unless your personal definitions of other words are also just for you -- like "fades" also includes a neck injury play that lands the player on IR.

I'd like to see him come back. It could be a money thing because he's a vested veteran. I know we're paying Bell top dollar but he'll need relief, we will have McGuire and Cannon and maybe Henderson and possibly draft a back. My assumption is that McGuire will be our no. 2.  btw I could see Bilal fitting in very nicely with NEP. I hope that doesn't happen but Belichick has had success plugging in Rbs from other teams or unknowns after not paying his incumbent. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Geno having a stronger finish than he started in his rookie season is what I said. For a rookie (him in particular), 7 TDs and 2 turnovers, with no receivers, is a stronger finish. That didn't therefore make him a strong player, which he wasn't. Don't get upset with me because you don't know what words mean.

Then building straw men? That's a laugh you firing that at anyone. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Your entire first response to me was nothing but that: ascribing things to me that I never said, then finding fault with and arguing against it. What do we call that type of argument? There's a name for it.

Why not just admit you were dead wrong on Powell instead of this ridiculousness with your personal definitions of what words mean among your other silliness? Powell's typical season was not to start out strong and then fade. It happened once in his entire career (if even that). That is, unless your personal definitions of other words are also just for you -- like "fades" also includes a neck injury play that lands the player on IR.

One last time. When  I wrote that Powell starts our strong, I was implying that he is playing wee, well enough to be a starter. If you're  definition of starting out strong is not that, whatever. You did say many times he finished stronger than he started so I asked why was he never made the starter and you said I never tried to say he ever played that well. So obviously you were reading a different meaning into the words strong start than what I was implying. And here comes the strawman. After I said this in a post, that strong to me is ayi g well enough to be a starter, we have a whole soliloquy from you about the use of the words playing strong. 

Nowhere did you ever acknowledge you missed what I was trying g to say and kept driving on the relativity  of the word playing strong, stronger, or whatever else frivolous  points you can make contrary to what my original post want to convey

Have a nice day sperm, I'm done

On 4/4/2019 at 12:15 AM, jetstream23 said:

Some really eye-opening statistics for Bilal by the way...

1315355784_ScreenShot2019-04-03at10_09_20PM.png.2b14f8b54ab9d5b6c2e67a96fad55d3f.png

Aside from a rookie season where he only made two game appearances, he never averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry and often was in the 4.3 to 4.5 range.

His career high in rush attempts was only 178 in 2017.

He caught 58 passes in 2016.

Over an 8 year career his total rushing yards are only 3,446.  He was the classic change-of-pace / spell the starter type of running back.

It's because he broke when you let him try to carry the load.  

If the kid could've stayed on the field, he would've been a really good one.  

His body or his pain thresh hold just wasn't good enough.

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

One last time. When  I wrote that Powell starts our strong, I was implying that he is playing wee, well enough to be a starter. If you're  definition of starting out strong is not that, whatever. You did say many times he finished stronger than he started so I asked why was he never made the starter and you said I never tried to say he ever played that well. So obviously you were reading a different meaning into the words strong start than what I was implying. And here comes the strawman. After I said this in a post, that strong to me is ayi g well enough to be a starter, we have a whole soliloquy from you about the use of the words playing strong. 

Nowhere did you ever acknowledge you missed what I was trying g to say and kept driving on the relativity  of the word playing strong, stronger, or whatever else frivolous  points you can make contrary to what my original post want to convey

Have a nice day sperm, I'm done

My definition of “starts out great and then fading"? My definition lol.

On what planet would “starts out great” mean “[merely/barely] well enough to be starter”? Literally no one would interpret it that way, you included. Never mind that it’s I accurate under that or any convoluted definition because that isn’t and wasn’t his typical pattern.

rofl

Archived