What has happened to Vic Beasley? A worse drop-off than Leo Williams?

jetstream23

For a couple of years there was a small but loud chorus of people who held major regrets about the Jets taking Leo Williams over Vic Beasley.  I was just reading an article about possible trade-down partners for the Jets in the draft (link below) and the Falcons at #14 were mentioned as a team that may want to come up for a pass-rusher.  This surprised me.  I had thought Beasley was drafted in 2015 to be that guy for Atlanta.  I went back and looked at his statistics and he's had a significant drop off over not one, but two seasons since his stellar 2016 season.

1962035967_ScreenShot2019-04-04at10_48_13AM.png.32ba9fa230a1d2a1bf51398c42db2f68.png

In fact, Leo Williams generated just as many sacks (5) from the interior as Beasley did as an outside pass rusher in 2018.  Williams had significantly more tackles and TFL.  (Beasley played in all 16 games).

The similarities in how the Jets and Falcons may view Williams and Beasley respectively are pretty interesting.  Here, there has been some discussion of the Jets taking Q. Williams at #3 and looking to trade Leo.  That would be a direct replacement with a similar player for lower $$$.  It seems the same thinking is being thrown around for Beasley this year as he heads into his final season under contract in 2019.  Does Atlanta want to move up in the Draft to find an Edge rusher upgrade?

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/potential-trade-down-partners-jets-2019-nfl-draft/4/

1353518402_ScreenShot2019-04-04at10_56_52AM.thumb.png.c202825e0329db4050fd36c87e2d4f95.png

It was not a great draft.  Scot McCloughan was smart enough to take a very good guard at 5-Brandon Scherf.  That is when it makes sense to take a Guard at 5.

The right call was perhaps Gurley at 6, but there was injury risk that Mac was not capable enough to take.  

Williams was not a terrible pick there really.   He just has to work harder.  Half of his issues were Bowles.  

1 6  New York Jets
  Leonard Williams
  DE
USC Pac-12
  1 7 Chicago Bears Kevin White  WR West Virginia Big 12  
  1 8 Atlanta Falcons Vic Beasley  DE Clemson ACC  
  1 9 New York Giants Ereck Flowers  OT Miami (FL) ACC  
  1 10 St. Louis Rams Todd Gurley  RB Georgia SEC  
  1 11 Minnesota Vikings Trae Waynes  CB Michigan State Big Ten

9 minutes ago, dmoe said:

If you were a gm, and they said you could have:

Josh Allen/Leo

Vic Beasley/Q Williams

Which duo are you taking?

Allen/Leo all day

Leo’s solid, just hasn’t lived up to the huge expectations- I remember his draft grade was astronomical, analysts mentioned he could be the next Reggie White. And then a solid and discarded Henry Anderson matches his play last year and we haven’t seen any game altering wow plays from him. He’s a solid lunch pail kinda guy. We’re better with him but still a bit disappointed. 

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A quick first step which gets you by as a rookie, but as time passes you have to get better. Beasley still only has the one thing and that’s it. 

Bingo, Vic hasn’t developed a secondary move yet.  He doesn’t convert speed to power very well so tackles just ride his momentum around the outside of the pocket.  

I feel like we are witnessing the point with Williams where Jets fans do that thing they do.  You know, when players that are actually good become terrible humans worst player in the league because they're not; name the current best player in the league at that position.

Leo is the better player by a mile and choosing his floor over Beasley’s ceiling was a good choice. However, the bigger issue was Mac’s inability to flip Mo Wilk or Sheldon at the time. If he had been able to work a trade of Wilk for a 2nd and 3rd (rather than hold out for a 1st) we’d have been a team with higher upside and more money.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Leo is the better player by a mile and choosing his floor over Beasley’s ceiling was a good choice. However, the bigger issue was Mac’s in ability to flip Mo Wilk or Sheldon at the time. If he had been able to work a trade of Wilk for a 2nd and 3rd (rather than hold out for a 1st) we’d have been a team with higher upside and more money.

This too. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

It was not a great draft.  Scot McCloughan was smart enough to take a very good guard at 5-Brandon Scherf.  That is when it makes sense to take a Guard at 5.

The right call was perhaps Gurley at 6, but there was injury risk that Mac was not capable enough to take.  

Williams was not a terrible pick there really.   He just has to work harder.  Half of his issues were Bowles.  

1 6  New York Jets
  Leonard Williams
  DE
USC Pac-12
  1 7 Chicago Bears Kevin White  WR West Virginia Big 12  
  1 8 Atlanta Falcons Vic Beasley  DE Clemson ACC  
  1 9 New York Giants Ereck Flowers  OT Miami (FL) ACC  
  1 10 St. Louis Rams Todd Gurley  RB Georgia SEC  
  1 11 Minnesota Vikings Trae Waynes  CB Michigan State Big Ten

I'll man up and admit I was very interested in Kevin White.

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

I feel like we are witnessing the point with Williams where Jets fans do that thing they do.  You know, when players that are actually good become terrible humans worst player in the league because they're not; name the current best player in the league at that position.

You can tell we're bad Jets fans when Broncos fans are telling us we're not kissassy enough about the Jets.

This are my questions, which we may not ever know the answer to:

The Jets are paying Leo $14mm this year.  If they opted not to sign him next year, what would another team pay him?

The Browns and their astute GM are paying Sheldon $13mm this year.  Would you rather have Leo at 14 or Sheldon at 13?

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets are paying Leo $14mm this year.  If they opted not to sign him next year, what would another team pay him?

The Browns and their astute GM are paying Sheldon $13mm this year.  Would you rather have Leo at 14 or Sheldon at 13?

Sheldon at 13. Heartbeat.

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What about Leo with an extension that pays him 12 per?

This is basically the Mac weakspot, right?  

How many Steeler first round picks see their 5th year options?  They extend.  If the Jets thought Leo was part of the future, you don't pay him 14 this year, you extend him 3 x 12 maybe.  

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is basically the Mac weakspot, right?  

How many Steeler first round picks see their 5th year options?  They extend.  If the Jets thought Leo was part of the future, you don't pay him 14 this year, you extend him 3 x 12 maybe.  

Yes. Let’s say Williams with Allen or Bosa or Oliver next to him turns his pressures and QB hits into sacks. This means he’s suddenly worth $16 million a year. We either franchise him and get him for a season at a high cost or extend him at much higher a price than we would’ve asked for right now.

living in the ATL there is a ton of questions about him. He may even end up being a cap causality. They tagged their dt and are trying to rework Julio's contract and little money left when they exercised the 5th yr, they would eat a portion but would get some cap relief fast. even a afternoon guy Mike Bell has a bet with his partner that he will get Vic's face tattooed if he can get double digit sacks.

9 hours ago, varjet said:

Neither. That was easy

Archived